• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Guevara

I didn't even know there was a beer thread. Anyway I just picked up Dogfish Head's Pumpkin Beer and I'm not sure. It's just too mild a flavor or something. Usually I like their stuff and I love fall flavors.

Also I was given this. How is Sam Adam's limited stuff?

315d54ae-d889-4cd9-aaca-a087015c92d7.jpg

I didn't even know there was a beer thread. Anyway I just picked up Dogfish Head's Pumpkin Beer and I'm not sure. It's just too mild a flavor or something. Usually I like their stuff and I love fall flavors.

I like Dogfish Heads, but we can't get it here. The Sam Adams series has been pretty damn good so far

Cr0wn0

I had some Pumking tonight for the first time, I had to order it since its not sold here. What an Amazing beer. Nothing I've tried even comes close. I will definitely be buying some each year.

matt360

I had some Pumking tonight for the first time, I had to order it since its not sold here. What an Amazing beer. Nothing I've tried even comes close. I will definitely be buying some each year.

Yup. It's goddamn delicious. My local joint should be getting it on tap here in a couple weeks after their Oktoberfest festivities end. I've been looking forward to it all year.

fat pat

It's my favorite pumpkin beer so far. Its what i rememeber Dogfishes Punkin Ale to be, but isnt (at least this year)

Elysian's The Great Pumpkin is my favorite pumpkin beer, but the bombers have already seen distribution this year and are long gone unless you go to one of their taprooms or stumble on a bar that has a keg.

You guys all know the best way to enjoy a pumpkin spice beer is to coat the rim of your glass with crushed up graham crackers, right?.............RIGHT?!

Cr0wn0

Elysian's The Great Pumpkin is my favorite pumpkin beer, but the bombers have already seen distribution this year and are long gone unless you go to one of their taprooms or stumble on a bar that has a keg.

I was able to get a bomber of this and tried it tonight for the first time. Great beer, lots of pumpkin just a little bit of everything else. Its definitely more Ale then Pumking. It's #2 or #3 on my list.

I was able to get a bomber of this and tried it tonight for the first time. Great beer, lots of pumpkin just a little bit of everything else. Its definitely more Ale then Pumking. It's #2 or #3 on my list.

At Elysian's Great Pumpkin Beer Festival, they fill a gigantic pumpkin full of TGP. It's pretty cool.

I have only tried the Baltic IPA, but it was great beer. Hoppy yet smooth finish and very drinkable for an IPA. I am glad they are releasing some higher quality beers. Now if they would just release them in 6pks.

Link

The Autumn Wind

Agreed about Dogfish Head. It just didn't really taste like anything. Forgive me if it's been mentioned since I'm just entering this thread, but Shipyard Pumpkinhead is a pretty damn good pumpkin beer.

fat pat

I've not had this, but their KBS is KILLER good. Any idea how the two compare?

Just suck the bourbon and oak flavor out of KBS and its what breakfast stout is. The coffee is a little more subdued also. Its really, really good.

I'm actually making a KBS clone right now. Brewed in middle of August, but I'm letting it age out until December before it gets bottled up.

dekline

How did I do, GAF?

I'm interested in the stout. How was it? Never heard of it before.

My stash for the last few days:

ibq4Skr02iWZg1.jpg

Brynhildr's Gift was great. Brewed with juniper berries. It smelled fruity and was really sweet. Damn good for a MN beer.

ijpvixl1GWcIZ.jpg

Blithering idiot. A four pack for 11 bucks. Was 11.1 abv. Tasted only like caramel and alcohol. Won't buy again.

If any of you get a chance to try the new Widmer Brothers Reserve SXNW (South by Northwest) I highly recommend you do. Had a chance to try it today fresh from a tap and it was delicious. The main flavor is cocoa with pecan notes and a nice complimenting heat in the background from cinnamon and green chiles. It all blended together nicely. Shame this is a brewed once batch as it would be one of my go-tos from now on. Oh and the abv is 9.3% so it's no slouch in that area either.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Generally how long can beer last in the fridge before it starts to go bad? I'm always tempted to stock up on seasonal or limited releases when they're around but I worry about still needing to drink them within a month or so.

fenners

Generally how long can beer last in the fridge before it starts to go bad? I'm always tempted to stock up on seasonal or limited releases when they're around but I worry about still needing to drink them within a month or so.

Depends on the style. A lot of beers mature nicely, especially the high alcohol ones etc. A month or two is nothing to a barleywine.

Last night I tried the Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin special reserve and it was outrageously good. I typically like pumpkin beers that are more sweet than spicy, but this one was a good balance of both. I used to think the Southampton Pumpkin was the best pumpkin beer out there, with the Pumking a close second, but the Shipyard blows both of these out of the water. If you like pumpkin beers this one is a must try. Seems like they only sell it in larger bottles, and it's a bit on the expensive side ($10 in the store) but definitely worth it.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Depends on the style. A lot of beers mature nicely, especially the high alcohol ones etc. A month or two is nothing to a barleywine.

Excellent. Two in particular I had in mind are Bell's Hopslam and Southern Tier Pumpking, which both are pretty high alcohol.

Kwixotik

The only non-shitty beers I've tried are Blue Moon and Trappistes Rochefort 10. I'd like to try out more dark beers tonight. Any recommendations?

Stouts, Porters, Sours, Barleywines can age well. IPAs and Pales do not as the hops fade over time.

Kwixotik

Like....ever? What have you had that's shitty?

Yeah, man, I just started drinking beer recently. I'm 20 and didn't start drinking til I got to college and then it took me a while to start drinking beer after that. Pretty much everything I've had, other than Blue Moon and Trappistes Rochefort:

Natural Light (shit)
Coors Light (shit)
Bud Light (shit)
Budweiser (alright, I guess)
Rolling Rock (pretty good)
Shock Top (pretty good)
Milwaukee's Best (well, it's better than natty)
Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy (thumbs up, stuff's good)

and then that's about it. You can see why I'd like to try something better.

Kwixotik

First off try actually spending money instead of browsing the cheapest 30 packs you can find.

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do, but I'm just asking if anybody has any suggestions. I can't really walk into a liquor store and browse seeing as how I'm underage. And I don't want to start with top shelf stuff, because I probably won't be able to appreciate it yet. There are so many mid-range brands, I don't really know where to start.

Wallach

The only non-shitty beers I've tried are Blue Moon and Trappistes Rochefort 10. I'd like to try out more dark beers tonight. Any recommendations?

I really like Arrogant Bastard if you can find some. Stone Brewery; get the Oaked version if possible.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Kwixotik, if you like Blue Moon and Shock Top, check out Magic Hat #9. Or just check out some Hefeweizens and Belgian Whites.

HiResDes

Hoegaarden is the next step up from Blue Moon, and of course Allagash White if you can find it.

Old Rasputin is one of my favorite dark beers along with any Belgian Triple, Maudite being a possible fav

Cr0wn0

Drank a Grand Canyon pumpkin Porter which was very good today. Picked up a dfh bitches brew, left hand nitro milk stout,Jolly pumpkin pumpkin ale and a Maui coconut porter.

Cr0wn0

I wonder where I can find this Pumking

You can find it fairly easily if you live on the east coast, west coast I think its limited to Oregon/Washington. You can also order it online from a few different places. I used letspour.com to get mine.

Vyer

You can find it fairly easily if you live on the east coast, west coast I think its limited to Oregon/Washington. You can also order it online from a few different places. I used letspour.com to get mine.

Yeah, I'm in the south so I might have to go online. Spec's might be worth a shot. Thanks for the link.

Cr0wn0

Had a pint of stone mint chocolate stout tonight. Grab some if you can its great. It's basically dark chocolate milk with mint. Very very good

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I was thinking that given that there's a Wet Shaving OT, I might make up Home Brewing OT since its a totally different (if related) hobby to just drinking pro beer. I drafted up a simple Q&A type one if we wanted to do that. What say you, BeerGAF?

Bought a Franziskaner got home and it was sour nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

At least I still got my oatmeal stout I guess, was really planning on having two beers though, not one.

Top Bottom