• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Had a pint of stone mint chocolate stout tonight. Grab some if you can its great. It's basically dark chocolate milk with mint. Very very good

Sounds interesting. Must try this.

mint_stout_3x_F-e1349719706890.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think I had a Mint chocolate stout from another brewery and I found it to be rather...objectionable. Is this a sweeter stout or a very dry one?

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Heading to the Great American Beer Festival in Denver this weekend.

Any advice from people who've attended in the past? It's my first time.

Cr0wn0

I think I had a Mint chocolate stout from another brewery and I found it to be rather...objectionable. Is this a sweeter stout or a very dry one?

Its definitely on the Dark chocolate sweet side. It wasn't dry for me at all. It also changed flavor a bit and seem to come together better as it warmed up. I'm planning on buying a decent amount of it and saving it for when it gets colder here.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout is like crack in a bottle.
Also makes me want oatmeal so bad.

I remember a few weeks ago I had a couple of these oatmeal stouts one night and then the next morning made the most perfect bowl of oatmeal for breakfast that I have ever made.

oatmeal oatmeal oatmeal oatmeal
oatmeal oatmeal
oatmeal oatmeal

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout is like crack in a bottle.
Also makes me want oatmeal so bad.

I remember a few weeks ago I had a couple of these oatmeal stouts one night and then the next morning made the most perfect bowl of oatmeal for breakfast that I have ever made.

oatmeal oatmeal oatmeal oatmeal
oatmeal oatmeal
oatmeal oatmeal

Having a Rouge Shakespeare Oatmeal stout right now.

It's pretty dece.

Rry6g.jpg

(random internet pic)

Odell's "The Meddler"

One of the better Odell beer's I've had. Also, I love Oud Bruin. I love Odell. Malty, roasty sour, YAY!

Eeek, that's the only day I could make it work. Oh well.

The problem with Saturday is... you have the member session in the morning and the regular session later - which means a lot of things you'd want to try are already out. Not to say there's not a lot of good stuff left but any of the award winners get picked through.

That said, be smart. Don't load up on strong ales and barley wines up front. As much as you want to sprint, treat it like a marathon. Eat a good meal before hand and don't forget to drink water.

And please don't sit in front of the table, chug a sample, then ask for another. You just look like a dick to people waiting behind you who took their sample then got back in line (and to the volunteers).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Man I love Three Philosophers, haven't had that one in a long time.
Can never afford it!

I had one last night (saving the Fuller's Vintage for Sunday night I think). VERY good beer - it was good the ENTIRE glass. Even the last sip was refreshing and flavorful - not like some beers where the final sip is a bit bitter. But, it was sort of expensive, haha.

Heading to the Great American Beer Festival in Denver this weekend.

Any advice from people who've attended in the past? It's my first time.

I've been going off and on since the mid '90s and consistently for the past six years. My advice, dump out A LOT of beer. Make sure you hit the ProAm table, go through the cheese sampling line, and pick a style and try to hit a bunch of past winners. I go on the members session on Saturday day and always have a blast. This year it's on my 40th birthday none the less.

Biggest word or warning: DO NOT DROP YOUR GLASS!!! You not only are finished drinking, but you WILL be ridiculed and mocked by the people around you (it's tradition to cheer for the glass dropper).

My advice, dump out A LOT of beer. Make sure you hit the ProAm table, go through the cheese sampling line, and pick a style and try to hit a bunch of past winners

Thought I'd chime in on this one cause there's some good points. I'd dump out anything you're not crazy about after a couple of sips. No shame in this. ProAm is a solid suggestion. I personally look to see if there's a style I want to try the most then after that I look to see who brewed in case maybe there's someone I missed. Cheese line I personally skip. Line is always mad long and I normally eat a lot of different cheeses. Also, hit the brewing guilds for each State. They generally have stuff not on tap at the actual brewery booth and it'll vary what bottles they have available.

Side note... my heart weeps at the lack of Captain Lawrence this year. Can't get it normally and I always look forward to it at GABF. Spring House Brewing has been a fun surprise though - their first year there I believe.

And this afternoon... I am lucky enough to go to Pints for Prostates. <3

Yes Boss!

I tried Leffe Blonde a week ago and I think its good.

Anyone tried it?

leffe-blonde-.jpg

It is my favorite drinkable Belgian. Radiuese being my absolute favorite. They kinda branched out recently, going beyond the original 3. Can now be bought in a can as well.

In the US we basically get the blonde.

Last week in Germany till I move back to US. Enjoying local beers from Wurzburg. Friend gave me this mini-keg and I've been drinking it tonight:

8B0B036B-078E-482A-9437-5273B86FBFAF-5793-0000079DB9F6D2D7.jpg

Also, I'll be at Russian River Brewing next week in Santa Rosa!

aceface

I had one last night (saving the Fuller's Vintage for Sunday night I think). VERY good beer - it was good the ENTIRE glass. Even the last sip was refreshing and flavorful - not like some beers where the final sip is a bit bitter. But, it was sort of expensive, haha.

Three Phil's is not that expensive if you get the big bottle. The Ommegang seasonals/specialty brews are the super expensive ones.

I live near the Ommegang brewery and I know a guy who volunteers at their concerts and events, picking up trash and directing traffic and whatnot. They don't pay but he gets to bring home like a case of the big bottles every time. He keeps telling me to do it but with two little kids and a full time job I can't just fuck off to work there on a Monday night. Luckily he doesn't like the Three Phil's and brought me 4 bottles last week.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Three Phil's is not that expensive if you get the big bottle. The Ommegang seasonals/specialty brews are the super expensive ones.

I live near the Ommegang brewery and I know a guy who volunteers at their concerts and events, picking up trash and directing traffic and whatnot. They don't pay but he gets to bring home like a case of the big bottles every time. He keeps telling me to do it but with two little kids and a full time job I can't just fuck off to work there on a Monday night. Luckily he doesn't like the Three Phil's and brought me 4 bottles last week.
Confession: I don't like three philosophers either. It reminds me of blood.

dubc35

I had a Great Pumpkin Ale today with lunch at Elysian. So. Fucking. Good. Liquid pumpkin pie. I bought a couple 20 oz bottles of it as well as a Blight 20oz bottle. A couple for me and some for friends that live outside Seattle. I'm enjoying my staple go to plebian beer (as far as the users in this thread lol) Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Have a lot of respect for Sierra Nevada but never did like their pale ale.
Just tastes like a weak IPA. I think that might be the point but not my cup of tea (well, cup of beer I guess)

dmag1223

Oh? Interesting, haha. I really loved the beer I had last night. A lot!

I actually went up to Cooperstown over the summer to visit the baseball hall of fame. My friends and I had planned to tour the Ommegang brewery on that Saturday, bit they were closed for a special event. That kind of put a little damper on the trip, even though Upstate New York is pretty nice.

Anyway, I just found the 3 Philosophers at my local liqueur store recently and bought some. Have to say it was worth the wait. It was VERY good, probably in my top ten. $15 for a 4 pack though, so this may be a rare treat haha.

Anyone here ever had Mephistopheles Stout?
I really wanted to try it but $8 for a 12 ounce bottle, not today.

I really enjoy it. I think it's the best one of Avery's Demons of Ale series. I would recommend finding someone else who is also into beer and splitting a bottle. It is a bit much to do a whole bottle in one sitting, but if you have a bit and treat it like a scotch or whiskey, it can be quite enjoyable.

I am currently sipping on Boulevard's Stingo. Quite delicious. Heavy on the malt, but more interesting than something like a wee heavy. Also had a Sofie from Goose Island. Pretty tasty in its own way, not sure if it's really my style though.

PG2G

Whenever I see something at my spot from one of the breweries I know that I haven't seen before, I pick it up in case it is a seasonal or rare one.

Today I got a Ommegang Biere D'Hougoumont and Allagash Fluxus 2012. I hope they don't suck, haha

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I actually went up to Cooperstown over the summer to visit the baseball hall of fame. My friends and I had planned to tour the Ommegang brewery on that Saturday, bit they were closed for a special event. That kind of put a little damper on the trip, even though Upstate New York is pretty nice.

Anyway, I just found the 3 Philosophers at my local liqueur store recently and bought some. Have to say it was worth the wait. It was VERY good, probably in my top ten. $15 for a 4 pack though, so this may be a rare treat haha.

Yup, I paid $17 for my 4 pack. I'll probably stick to 4-packs of Tremens for that price when I want a treat, but I always love trying new beers!

Top Bottom