• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

dubc35

It's no Great Pumpkin Ale but it's tasty.

DacZ5.jpg

tokkun

Confession: I don't like three philosophers either. It reminds me of blood.

Yeah, I can see that. I recall it having a pretty definite metallic taste to it.

Actually I have that complaint about Ommegang's dubbel as well. I wonder if it's a common thing with their beers.

need to grab some beers for a get together. never been much a beer person myself, anything i've had before i don't even remember the name. any recommendations for good cheap beer?

Just cracked open my Mephistopheles Stout.

Um, wow.
This is really good.
I don't think any stout is ever going to live up to this.
"Complex" doesn't even begin to describe this beer.
Surprisingly drinkable for 16% alcohol. Dangerously drinkable, actually.

Just cracked open my Mephistopheles Stout.

Um, wow.
This is really good.
I don't think any stout is ever going to live up to this.
"Complex" doesn't even begin to describe this beer.
Surprisingly drinkable for 16% alcohol. Dangerously drinkable, actually.

It was that beer, along with about 6 other Avery Beers at an Avery tasting event right after I turned 21 that got me into craft beer.

matt360

Drank two bottles of Westy 12 a couple days ago and honestly, I was slightly disappointed. I think the first one may have been too cold when I drank it, so it had a kind of crispness that is uncharacteristic of most Belgians. I let the 2nd one sit for a bit and although it was better than the first bottle, it didn't really knock my socks off. The high quality of the beer was apparent, but it was just too earthy for my liking. I much prefer Chimay Blue or St. Bernardus Abt. 12. The high alcohol content was also very noticeable. I'm glad I tried it and I still have one more bottle to try later, but I don't think I'd pay for it again.

Hey fellas

IMAG0131.jpg

IMAG0130.jpg

I'm driving back to Denver from chilling in the rockies in boulder with some craft beer (and some dispensary shit). Incredible experience. Having a blast my first time in CO. More pics to come

389393_4720773698447_1605159380_n.jpg

Had a great time at the Great Pumpkin Beer Festival earlier today.

I drank the following:

Fremont -- Pumpkin B-Bomb
Fremont -- Pumpkin Brother IIPA
Russian River -- Pumpkin Sour
Cascade -- Pumpkin Smash
Allagash -- Ghoulschip
Epic -- Pumpkin Pie Gose
Fort George -- Drunkin Pumpkin
Gigantic/Vertigo -- We Know Jack
Hair of the Dog -- Greg
Elliot Bay -- Kill Bill 3
Beer Valley -- Jackalope
Elysian -- Great Pumpkin (straight from the pumpkin)
HUB -- El Gourdo 2: Electric Boogaloo
Elysian -- Coche de Medianoche

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I got a few beers from a craft store. Never tried the stuff before, always got the popular generic stuff, decided to try somethin' new. One of the beers was something called an Old Rasputin.

I finished it, I blinked a few times, and I was drunk. What the fuck guys. Seriously.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I got a few beers from a craft store. Never tried the stuff before, always got the popular generic stuff, decided to try somethin' new. One of the beers was something called an Old Rasputin.

I finished it, I blinked a few times, and I was drunk. What the fuck guys. Seriously.

Try a Rochefort 10 ;b

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So, how many different beers has everyone tried? I'm somewhere north of 1,100.

My interest in different beers has gone down ever since starting to brew. Most of the beer I drink is mine, and that is mostly for QA purposes.

But I must be around that figure. GABF alone probably leads to trying around 100 each year, and I have been to five of them so far.

I don't really care too much anymore about trying too many different beers anymore though.

Prost Pilsner though, brewery in Denver, is a beer I wouldn't mind having every day.

389393_4720773698447_1605159380_n.jpg

Had a great time at the Great Pumpkin Beer Festival earlier today.

I drank the following:

Fremont -- Pumpkin B-Bomb
Fremont -- Pumpkin Brother IIPA
Russian River -- Pumpkin Sour
Cascade -- Pumpkin Smash
Allagash -- Ghoulschip
Epic -- Pumpkin Pie Gose
Fort George -- Drunkin Pumpkin
Gigantic/Vertigo -- We Know Jack
Hair of the Dog -- Greg
Elliot Bay -- Kill Bill 3
Beer Valley -- Jackalope
Elysian -- Great Pumpkin (straight from the pumpkin)
HUB -- El Gourdo 2: Electric Boogaloo
Elysian -- Coche de Medianoche

This sounds like the bombest day ever!!!!

When I was at New Belgium the other day I had. some game spit at me by this girl from St. Louis. So annoying. You know if I was single this girl would either be nowhere to be found or totally aversive to any hitting on but of course when I'm in a relationship she walks right up to me and engages with me. Weird coincidence that we would be there at the same time.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Verdict on Saint Arnold (Brown Ale by Avery): 8/10. Definitely recommend it.

Although I have not eaten or drank anything in over 8 hours (work) so that may be a factor.

Old Rasputin is a classic and has been many, many people's gateway into the world of craftbeer.
Solid stuff.

I had to go to a conference at Oregon State University in Corvalis, so I left yesterday and drove down from Seattle. Stopped in Portland yesterday afternoon for some awesome sours at Cascade before making my way to Corvalis. Went to Block 15 and Flat Tail Brewing, and then stopped at Hair of the Dog earlier today on the way back home.

What a fun ~30 hours.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
So here's my story, which boils down to "recommend me a beer".

Back in college I tried exactly one beer- Sam Adams Boston Lager. Hated it. Couldn't go for it whatsoever, so I just completely wrote off beer as a thing and carried on. I realize now that's patently unfair, so I got a mix-and-match six pack and I'm trying to narrow down exactly why I didn't like it. And it seems to be the hops; that bitterness overpowers any other sort of flavor that's supposed to be there and just makes things unappealing.

So far I've tried Honey Brown (another lager, hated it), Shock Top lemon (wheat beer, didn't like it but could stand it a little better) and Angry Orchard apple ginger (hard cider, tolerable). Still have another hard apple cider, an IPA, and a brown ale to try. Think I can see how they're going to go over. So based on all that, what sort of beers should I be considering for my next go? I'm fine with stuff that would wind up in the 'tolerable' category, I just need something I can reliably order when going to bars and such.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
If you don't like the hoppy, bitter taste, then you should just avoid IPA's altogether.

Yea, I've realized now that one was a mistake. Probably not even gonna try it, just have to find a way to get rid of it.

matt360

Back in college I tried exactly one beer- Sam Adams Boston Lager. Hated it. Couldn't go for it whatsoever, so I just completely wrote off beer as a thing and carried on. I realize now that's patently unfair, so I got a mix-and-match six pack and I'm trying to narrow down exactly why I didn't like it. And it seems to be the hops; that bitterness overpowers any other sort of flavor that's supposed to be there and just makes things unappealing.

So far I've tried Honey Brown (another lager, hated it), Shock Top lemon (wheat beer, didn't like it but could stand it a little better) and Angry Orchard apple ginger (hard cider, tolerable). Still have another hard apple cider, an IPA, and a brown ale to try. Think I can see how they're going to go over. So based on all that, what sort of beers should I be considering for my next go? I'm fine with stuff that would wind up in the 'tolerable' category, I just need something I can reliably order when going to bars and such.

All I can say is keep drinking. I also hated beer in college and thought it all tasted like piss. I also distinctly remember hating Sam Adams Boston Lager. I honestly don't know what happened, but now I love beer almost as much as I love my Xbox. Sam Adams has also become one of my go-to beers. I recommend trying Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat beer. It tastes like Fruity Pebbles. Corona is also pretty easy to drink. So yeah, just keep drinking and before you know it, you'll find yourself craving a beer. But if you don't, no biggie!

On an unrelated note, my local beer bar in dinky little Hiroshima finally got 2 kegs of Pumpking!!!! I am so fucking pumped for this. I know it's not much to you guys stateside, but this is like Christmas for me. I just got an email from the bar master telling me they got two kegs of Pumpking and 2 types of bottles. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Southern Tier only do 750ml bottles? Maybe he got another type of pumpkin beer? Either way, I can't wait.

All I can say is keep drinking. I also hated beer in college and thought it all tasted like piss. I also distinctly remember hating Sam Adams Boston Lager. I honestly don't know what happened, but now I love beer almost as much as I love my Xbox. Sam Adams has also become one of my go-to beers. I recommend trying Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat beer. It tastes like Fruity Pebbles. Corona is also pretty easy to drink. So yeah, just keep drinking and before you know it, you'll find yourself craving a beer. But if you don't, no biggie!

On an unrelated note, my local beer bar in dinky little Hiroshima finally got 2 kegs of Pumpking!!!! I am so fucking pumped for this. I know it's not much to you guys stateside, but this is like Christmas for me. I just got an email from the bar master telling me they got two kegs of Pumpking and 2 types of bottles. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Southern Tier only do 750ml bottles? Maybe he got another type of pumpkin beer? Either way, I can't wait.

Yep, ST only does bombers of Pumpking.

aceface

One mistake I made early on with IPA's and other Hoppy beers: I drank them ice cold. Get it up closer to cellar temperature (~50 degrees F) and they go down a lot more smoothly, I've found.

Yes Boss!

I'm in Orange County CA for vacation visiting the parents and been wanting to try some of the Bruery stuff. Got the beer at Trader Joes for $8 and will definitely be hitting to brewery in Placentia to try some others. Cool, awesome belgium-style beers in my back yard. Paulaner because I just finished living in Germany a few years...a chaser, so to speak.

5FAC82C5-C39C-4EF2-B522-47134DD06A6D-984-000001101314F2A2.jpg

I'm in Orange County CA for vacation visiting the parents and been wanting to try some of the Bruery stuff. Got the beer at Trader Joes for $8 and will definitely be hitting to brewery in Placentia to try some others. Cool, awesome belgium-style beers in my back yard. Paulaner because I just finished living in Germany a few years...a chaser, so to speak.

5FAC82C5-C39C-4EF2-B522-47134DD06A6D-984-000001101314F2A2.jpg

yea ive been there once, that place is awesome. great beers too!

Malvolio

Guinness had a reputation when I first started drinking beer as an "acquired taste" type of beer, but I think that's really only because so many people I knew started with thin watery lagers and stouts are just so different from lagers. I honestly think that Guinness is a great beer to get people started on. The flavor is pretty mild and the ABV isn't very high. A glass of water with it to combat its initial thickness to the new beer drinker and I think its a great way to work people into the flavors that make beer so awesome. Plus it's something that can be reliably found in the majority of bars and restaurants.

Jarnet87

Any recommendations on Scotch Ale and Double Boch beers? Got to try the Sam Adams Imperial series and Scotch Ale a while back but can't find them anywhere now. Both were great beers, so I figured there has to be other companies out there that make a fine quality beer of those types.

thespot84

Any recommendations on Scotch Ale and Double Boch beers? Got to try the Sam Adams Imperial series and Scotch Ale a while back but can't find them anywhere now. Both were great beers, so I figured there has to be other companies out there that make a fine quality beer of those types.

old chub by oskar blues is a great scotch ale, as is claymore by great divide.

Founders Dirty Bastard

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

Empyrian Burning Skye

My father's and my absolute favorite

Top Bottom