• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Bigfoot

Here is something unexpected for any Canadians out there: Rickard's Cardigan.

I tried it on tap at Boston Pizza (of all places) last night and thought it was fantastic for a big brewery beer (then again I enjoy Rickard's White and Red).

I looked it up and you can get Rickard's Cardigan in bottles... looks like it has been out for over a month so I have no idea how hard it will be to find or how long it will last since it is a seasonal beer.

Rickards%20Cardigan%20Hero.jpg

Now to go find some for myself...

stn

You guys ever hear of a beer called Ceffreys? I may be misspelling the name. Its supposedly an Irish ale.

PG2G

I had a St Feuillien Grand Cru at a gastropub last night, thought it was amazing. Hope I can find it at one of my liquor stores.

fenners

You guys ever hear of a beer called Ceffreys? I may be misspelling the name. Its supposedly an Irish ale.

Caffreys. It's pretty mainstream in the UK, at least it used to be when I lived back there a decade ago. Irish Ale, kind of half way between a Guiness & a lager.

Jamesways

Going to be a good day.

Picture034.jpg

Picture033.jpg

And my homebrew Bells Two Hearted clone is ready, and taste testing next a Two Hearted, it's pretty darn close. Awesome.

Jamesways

Stand out brew of this bunch- Alaskan Winter, brewed with Spruce tips.

DAMN! Winter Ale with spices and a nice sweetness. Wish I had a sixer of this rather than just a few.
Anyone try it?

KingGondo

Banned
Having a Left Hand Polestar Pilsner right now, and there's a draughtkeg of Newcastle Brown in the fridge for later.

College football is wonderful.

SOME-MIST

been waiting all year for this
2012-11-03171054-1.jpg

it's definitely something special.

regarding Founders Brewing.. did anyone here get tickets to the Founders Breakfast Club at Founders Brewery (Grand Rapids, Michigan) on November 10th? I'll definitely buy ya a beer if you're there, but me and two of my buddies got tickets and they sold out in less than 10 minutes.. lol

Yes Boss!

Moved to the DC area and there are a ton of new beers here for me. See thing like Magic Hat, Yeunglung, and others.

Anybody have reccomendations? I'm more into Belgians and CA hoppy and Sours. Good stuff on the east coast?

In the mean time, I've been drinking Shiner. I lived in TX for a spell a few years ago and it was my goto beer. Forgot just how drinkable it is.

10A1AB3F-C464-4EE0-ADA2-E75A000C81F1-1879-000002A172BBA638.jpg

been waiting all year for this
2012-11-03171054-1.jpg

it's definitely something special.

regarding Founders Brewing.. did anyone here get tickets to the Founders Breakfast Club at Founders Brewery (Grand Rapids, Michigan) on November 10th? I'll definitely buy ya a beer if you're there, but me and two of my buddies got tickets and they sold out in less than 10 minutes.. lol

Didn't get tickets, but Founders is one of my favorite brewers. Drinking some Captain Lawrence Pumpkins right now at a bar - say goodbye to the fall!

I love the Backwoods Bastard.

On the Sierra Nevada front, I just found my first sixer of the Celebration Ale of the new season. Just as tasty as ever. Sierra Nevada's seasonal four-packs are kicking ass too. The new Narwhal Imperial Stout is EXTREMELY good. It's going to be even better after a year of aging. It also has bitchin' packaging.

8121156029_ea450a82cd_z.jpg

kudos.

I live in Asheville and my brother is a pretty big brew guy, likes all kinds. I went to Bruisin' Ales and the selection is pretty overwhelming. I want to get him some hard finds for his birthday. Any suggestions? I'd like to spend around $50 on him but I have no problem going over.

codhand

Someone lives near New Haven! I bought two bottles at the brewery for $6 each before they shipped them out to the stores where they are being sold for $7.99

high five! 7.99 is worth it, I bought a few for aging and still have a growler of it for a special occasion.

PS they said theyre aging a batch of PM in rum casks, available as a different name sometime in the future....

PPS i live in NH

Tunic

YEp1t.jpg

Beers that I brought back from Florida.

Bell's Two Hearted Ale
Ballast Point Sculpin IPA
Cigar City Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout
Hoppin Frog Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S.
Harpoon Leviathan IPA
Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale
Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA
Bell's Kalamazoo Stout
Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Not pictured: Cigar City Humidor Series IPA

Cr0wn0

Picked up a bottle of Dissident tonight, I cant believe I was able to get one. It sold out here in 45 minutes a few days ago. I'm not sure I can wait 10 months to drink it per the best after date. Anyone had this years?

Picked up a bottle of Dissident tonight, I cant believe I was able to get one. It sold out here in 45 minutes a few days ago. I'm not sure I can wait 10 months to drink it per the best after date. Anyone had this years?

I had one a couple weeks ago, it's slightly different than the last batch, but still tasty. I've got two more to let age in the garage.

Cr0wn0

I had one a couple weeks ago, it's slightly different than the last batch, but still tasty. I've got two more to let age in the garage.

I really wish I could find a way to allocate more of these beers. I've noticed the independent's are starting to do beer boxes now, like comic books. I would have loved to get two but this is the last one in AZ as far I can tell.

andylsun

I now have a tragic beer brewing pipeline problem!

oOnKMl.jpg

FDJjIl.jpg

Found on local craigslist.

4 kegs that hold pressure
6 Quick disconnects
working CO2 regulator.

$80 the whole lot.

It means I can now brew some things to drink quickly, and also brew things that I'll keg for a year before sampling (RIS etc). Great to have the flexibility.

Edit: Was out in Oregon a couple of weeks ago. Had a mirror pond pale ale and a Total Domination IPA. Both from local breweries and they were both really good. Saw some of the Rogue Voodoo Bacon beer and left it on the shelf.

Super-late reply, but I live in OKC.

If a beer exists in Oklahoma, I can get it.

But sadly that list doesn't include awesome brands like Dogfish Head, New Belgium, or Stone.

Hopefully when you were in Cleveland a few weeks back you got to sample some Great lakes brew, good stuff.

codhand

YEp1t.jpg

Bell's Two Hearted Ale
Harpoon Leviathan IPA
Bell's Kalamazoo Stout

Nice haul, that Leviathan is a figurative and literal beast!

Bigfoot

This thread (even though I have mostly been lurking) has got me to venture out a bit when buying beers. I still don’t experiment as most of you, but I have tried a few interesting beers lately.

If you asked me a year ago what my 5 favorite beers were, I probably would have said (in no order):

Big Rock Grasshopper
Sleeman Honey Brown
Kokanee (and Kokanee Light)
Rickard’s White (Canadian equivalent of Blue Moon)
Alexander Keith’s IPA

Not bad beers (better than Bud and Coors Light), but nothing exciting. I would still drink those today as they are easy to find on tap in Canada, so I haven’t turned in to a beer snob yet. A lot of them have a certain “nostalgia” too as they are what I drank for my University years.

However, when I look some of them up at ratebeer.com, the scores are very low so I was surprised. I ended up trying to find some of the Top 50 beers at ratebeer (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/top-50/), and I found 2 of them pretty easily. I have to say they weren’t for me after trying them… not bad, but not my cup of tea (or beer). They were both Imperial Stouts which seems to be the common type of beer that is rated highly looking at that list.

But like I said, I have been trying to pick up something new and different when I stop for beer. My Top 5 beers today would be made up of 2 of the above list and these 3 beers:

Innis & Gunn Original
Hacker-Pschorr (Hefe) Weisse
St. Ambroise Apricot Wheat Ale

I guess I’m finding I really like wheat beers (especially since 2 of my old Top 5 were also wheat beers). Any other wheat beers worth trying? I did try Hoegarden already and it was a bit too “wheaty” for me but maybe I had it from a bad keg.

The homebrew thread (I think I’m getting a kit for Christmas) also got me interested in trying out beer styles I haven’t had yet, so on my list to try out right now (along with the beers I’m thinking of picking up since I’ve seen them at my local beer store) are:

Oktoberfest: Sam Adams Oktoberfest
Pumpkin Ale: St. Ambroise Pumpkin
Oatmeal Stout: ?
True IPA (I don’t think Alexander Keiths counts from what I’ve read): ?

Any suggestions on the last two, or different suggestions for the other styles?

Oktoberfest: Sam Adams Oktoberfest
Pumpkin Ale: St. Ambroise Pumpkin
Oatmeal Stout: ?
True IPA (I don’t think Alexander Keiths counts from what I’ve read): ?

Any suggestions on the last two, or different suggestions for the other styles?

You're in Canada, right? Columbia City Brewing's Red Racer IPA and Driftwood's Fat Tug IPA are stellar examples of the style. They're both BC breweries.

Yep, in Canada... Alberta to be specific but I am in BC all the time so I'll try to track those down. Thanks!

They're both very easy to get in BC (we also get both in Seattle). Red Racer is in cans and Fat Tug is in bombers.

Ask at your local liquor store, they might see distribution in Alberta.

YEp1t.jpg

Bell's Two Hearted Ale
Harpoon Leviathan IPA
Bell's Kalamazoo Stout

So jealous of your Marshal Zhukov. I missed it when it got stocked up here in Tallahassee. Also, the Humidor Series IPA is awesome.

KingGondo

Banned
Hopefully when you were in Cleveland a few weeks back you got to sample some Great lakes brew, good stuff.
Yes indeed. Burning River Pale Ale was fantastic (had one at Green House Tavern, which was similarly great).

I would definitely buy some if we could get it here.

Top Bottom