• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

My contributions to Thanksgiving today:

jxrkb.jpg

Curious to see how 2010 Abyss is aging.

The Enjoy By line is only available in specific cities.

Thanks. Checking out the locator at Stone's website, it looks like I'll have to ask my gf's brother in Ohio to pick up a few bottles for us to try when he comes down for Christmas.

Now that I have had every beer in Stones reportoire I can say that I truly feel the brewery is a bit over appreciated

I guess I can see this. Stone, and Arrogant Bastard Ale in particular, was one of the first recommendations I got when I was introduced to craft beer some years ago. They're a popular brewer, and there might be a bit of a bandwagon effect but I have to say I've never had a Stone beer I didn't like.

Had a pretty good beer day today.

One of each of the beers in the Sierra Nevada beer camp pack - The Imperial Pils was quite tasty
Lagunitas Lil Sumpthin' Wild - Always a solid choice.
Peace Tree Porter - Good, but a bit too carbonated and a bit off for what I expect in a porter. Maybe better once I know what to expect.
2011 New Belgian La Folie - Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum
Home brewed Imperial Stout from last January. Putting some age on that did wonderful things for it.

Excited for round 2 tomorrow!

Bigfoot

Ok, this is what this thread is doing to me:

I went out after work and I ended up going by a liquor store I haven't been to before on the way home. Even though I had no need for beer, I went in anyways and came out with the above.

The first 3 are things I've seen posted when I read through this thread. The 4th is a special edition barley wine... only 3000 bottles available. I've never had barley wine before so I thought why not. The last is the only non single (4 pack) and just something I picked up since I've liked some of the other stuff I've had from St-Ambroise.

fat pat

todays purchases, from left to right

Oksar Blues Gubna DIPA(4 pack cans), Pipeworks Ninja vs. Unicorn(DIPA), Two Brothers 91 Shilling (scotch ale), Goose Island Bourbon County Stout(4 pack), Sierra Nevada Hoptimum(4 pack DIPA)

68 dollars for 14 beers.

Ugh stop making me so jealous with every post, distantmantra. Have you had any of the 2012 Abyss? How is it this year?

Used that American Express 25 dollar credit today and picked up a 12-pack of Session Black, a pretty fresh Blind Pig and a Hanssens Oude Gueuze. 3 Fonteinen Golden Blend was way too tempting but a bit out of my price range.

Haven't had Abyss 2012 yet, was a bit of a pain to track in down in Seattle, but finally got two bottles yesterday.

The 2010 bottle had aged wonderfully, though. Went well with bread pudding on Thanksgiving night.

AcridMeat

Banned
It's hard to discern differences in good IPAs. At least for me, maybe I've destroyed my taste buds. I'm having Pliny the Elder for the first time and I could be drinking Racer 5 as far as I'm concerned. Good IPA seems to taste the same to me.

todays purchases, from left to right

Oksar Blues Gubna DIPA(4 pack cans), Pipeworks Ninja vs. Unicorn(DIPA), Two Brothers 91 Shilling (scotch ale), Goose Island Bourbon County Stout(4 pack), Sierra Nevada Hoptimum(4 pack DIPA)

68 dollars for 14 beers.

If you are a hop-head and have a taste for the bitter side of life, you'll love hoptimum.
Great beer.

Cr0wn0

I was able to get 2 bottles of 2012 Abyss this week and cracked open one of them tonight. Easily one of the best beers I've ever had and I'm not a huge stout fan at all. Everything just seems to come together perfectly and its incredibly smooth. if you can get a bottle I'd 100% suggest it!

I had a bottle of 2012 Abyss over the weekend. It's still pretty damn fantastic, but something is off compared to past years.Might need some time to age.

I was in Europe for the month of October, and tried close to 100 different beers. The quality was very high overall, and the prices were cheap. So good!

This may be my new favorite Magic Hat brew. #9 is superb, but Heart of Darkness...Wow.

38265F8D-FBB5-4444-A061-489C9AD8BBE4-3048-000001E326E66C9F.jpg

Agreed. I've been kind of "meh" on their recent seasonal and special (mix-pack only) beers, but Heart of Darkness is really good. I still like all of the "IPA on Tour" brews except Demo. The other three are all great (especially Encore and HiPA). But what I'm really excited for is the return of Vinyl, one of my absolute favorite lagers, in the Spring.

aceface

This may be my new favorite Magic Hat brew. #9 is superb, but Heart of Darkness...Wow.

38265F8D-FBB5-4444-A061-489C9AD8BBE4-3048-000001E326E66C9F.jpg

Yes, Heart of Darkness is delicious...also some of my favorite beer label art (is that a thing?) However, their Wooly, from the winter pack, might have been the worst beer I've ever tasted. It's spruce flavored and was just bad.

VALIS

My wife has always loved stouts and I've become a huge fan as well lately, especially in winter (and it's cold as a witch's pussy up here in New Hampshire). This is what she walked in the door with tonight on her way home from work. <3

post-1-1354325770.png

Glug glug!!

That Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout is extremely good. I think there are better stouts out there, but it may be the most chocolatey in flavor that I've had yet.

fenners

That Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout is extremely good. I think there are better stouts out there, but it may be the most chocolatey in flavor that I've had yet.

Was going to say much the same - there are "better" stouts out there, like the Rasputain in the top row, but I *enjoyed* the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout a hell of a lot.

I picked up the Sam Adams Gingerbread Stout myself today (in a 4 pack with some other of their small batches from Costco of all places).

My contributions to Thanksgiving today:

jxrkb.jpg

Curious to see how 2010 Abyss is aging.

I wish I was at your house.

I was just given a bottle of 2009 Alaskan Smoked Porter from a local liquor store here in Wyoming, because they thought it was too old to consume. I tried to explain to them the reason why they put the date on that beer is because they want people to cellar them. Their loss, I guess.

I just started chilling my winter tradition of doing a vertical sample of 3 years of Deschute's Jubelale and 3 years of Anchor's Christmas Ale. Those are two fun nights.

On the homebrew front, I have to rebrew some base beer for my sour barrel project. I am also kegging a Flanders Red aged on peaches, a Red Ale dry hopped with Centennial, and transferring a Cascadian Dark Ale onto 60 grams of dank Simcoe hops.

Currently enjoying a Snow Day from New Belgium. Life is good.

Movement

I had those a while ago and they were a little too spicy/hoppy for me. I think the Victory IPA really strikes the perfect balance.

Never tried it, but I'll try to find it. There's a local brewery, La Cumbre, which has one if the best IPAs that I've had.

Agreed. I've been kind of "meh" on their recent seasonal and special (mix-pack only) beers, but Heart of Darkness is really good. I still like all of the "IPA on Tour" brews except Demo. The other three are all great (especially Encore and HiPA). But what I'm really excited for is the return of Vinyl, one of my absolute favorite lagers, in the Spring.

You're in luck then, Demo is gone, it'll be replaced with a Rye IPA this spring.

andylsun

For those in New Hampshire.

Dogfish Head 90 minute was in Market Basket this weekend.

Previous it was not allowed to be sold in NH as it was made with brown sugar. The law banning this (and other restrictive beer recipe retailing laws) was scrapped over the summer. First time I've seen it here.

I don't actually like it that much (prefer the 60), but it's good to see a wider selection of beer available in the state. For such a Life free or Die state, we sure do have some strange laws...

t-ramp

And I thought Texas beer laws were bad.
Apparently until a couple years ago Iowa brewers couldn't sell > 5% ABV beers in the state. That was increased to 12% a year or two ago, and I don't know of any other strangely prohibitive restrictions here. Living in a state where beer and liquor is so available, I find the notion of dry counties existing in the US somewhat baffling.

Anyway...

I've had Sam Adam's Winter Lager twice and quite disliked it both times. Not getting it again.

Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter was pretty good.

For those in the Seattle area, Big Time released Old Wooly 2012 over the weekend, and Bourbon Abominable 2012 gets released tomorrow at Fremont Brewing.

VALIS

I don't actually like it that much (prefer the 60), but it's good to see a wider selection of beer available in the state. For such a Life free or Die state, we sure do have some strange laws...

My picture above of all those Stouts came from this place in Nashua, which has a pretty stellar beer selection: http://www.thebeerstorenh.com/ABOUT_THE_BEER_STORE.html

Also, the grocery stores here have a really good selection of beer. Believe me, coming from NJ and MA where liquor is only to be sold in liquor stores and must close at 10pm, we've got it really good in NH with being able to buy beer/wine anywhere and up to, what, 1am? I've bought beer at my local 7-11 later than that, so I'm not sure how closely that's even followed.

PG2G

Headed to Pittsburgh next weekend. Anyone have any recommendations for bars or some local beers I should try? I believe I'll be in the Downtown area.

andylsun

Really didn't get on with Sam Adams Winter Lager - not for me at all. Sam Adams White Christmas however is awesome.

Gov. John Lynch signed HB 1241 into law Sept, 20, which expanded the definition of specialty beers in New Hampshire to allow for ingredients such as, but not limited to, molasses, maple syrup, honey, spices, herbs, fruits, nuts, chocolate, vanilla and other nonbeverage ingredients.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20120925-NEWS-120929836

I've friends who are pro-brewers and complying with all the laws and state regulations to be able to sell their beer is tough. It's getting better, but still not there yet.

New Hampshire limits beer to 14% ABV

MA, where you can't buy beer in Grocery Stores has less restrictions on *what* beer can be sold... go figure

Top Bottom