• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

dmag1223

I second white christmas being awesome. Then again I love white ales.

I also picked up troegs mad elf ale. Very good and deceptivly strong. Everything troegs brews is gold, but this may be my favorite by them. Highly recommended.

Bigfoot

That Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout is extremely good. I think there are better stouts out there, but it may be the most chocolatey in flavor that I've had yet.

I've given a couple of stouts a try lately but I just don't think they are for me. The St-Ambroise Oatmeal Stout was my first stout I ever tried other than Guinness. It was drinkable but I wouldn't buy it again. The next one I tried was the Young Double Chocolate Stout. I just couldn't finish it and had to dump half (after mixing some with the Wells Banana Bread just to try it... it was ok mixed together). The Chocolate stout just reminded me too much of coffee than chocolate, and I am not a coffee drinker so that explains why I didn't like it.

I'm still willing to give stouts a try if there are other kinds out there. I don't mind the occasional Black and Tan at the pub so I'm not completely writing them off.

andylsun

Tapped my keg of Vienna lager last night. Yum that was good! The fact that my wife was stealing my glass and draining it was even better - she doesn't like ales, so this appears to be a winner.

Really didn't get on with Sam Adams Winter Lager - not for me at all. Sam Adams White Christmas however is awesome.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20120925-NEWS-120929836

I've friends who are pro-brewers and complying with all the laws and state regulations to be able to sell their beer is tough. It's getting better, but still not there yet.

New Hampshire limits beer to 14% ABV

MA, where you can't buy beer in Grocery Stores has less restrictions on *what* beer can be sold... go figure

Isn't New Hampshire supposed to be some sort of free market, no taxes, libertarian paradise?

TheExodu5

Banned
The Westvleteren 12 gift pack will be hitting the LCBO shelves sometime this week. $76.85 for a 6 pack with two glasses. Cheaper than people expected.

Also, it seems some US stores will be getting it on 12.12.12, with a suggested price of $85/pack:

http://121212xii.wordpress.com/2012/12/03/hello-world/
ALABAMA

Hop City, Birmingham
Piggly Wiggly, Homeland
The Nook, Huntsville

ARIZONA

Total Wine, Gilbert
Total Wine (Arrowhead Gateway), Glendale
Total Wine, Goodyear
Total Wine (Desert Ridge), Phoenix
Total Wine (Camelback Rd), Phoenix
Total Wine, Scottsdale
Total Wine, Tempe
Total Wine (The Corner), Tucson
Total Wine (Park Place Mall), Tucson

CALIFORNIA

Total Wine, Brea
Hi Times Wine Cellar, Costa Mesa
Davis Beer Shoppe, Davis
Holiday Wine Cellar, Escondido
Total Wine, Folsom
Total Wine, Huntington Beach
Total Wine, Laguna Hills
Stearns, Long Beach
Total Wine, Northbridge
Trappist Provisions, Oakland
Bruery Provisions, Orange
Total Wine, Rancho Cuacamonga
Total Wine, Redondo Beach
K&L Wines, Redwood City/Los Angeles
Total Wine, Roseville
Pangaea, Sacramento
Total Wine, Sacramento
Best Damn Bottle Shop, San Diego
Bine & Vine, San Diego
City Beer Store, San Francisco
Healthy Spirits, San Francisco
Ales Unlimited, San Francisco
Total Wine, Tustin
Total Wine, Thousand Oaks
Øl Beercafe, Walnut Creek

COLORADO

Liquor Mart, Boulder
Coaltrain Wine and Spirits, Colorado Springs
Argonaut Liquor, Denver
Wilbur’s Total Beverage, Fort Collins

DELAWARE

Total Wine, Claymont
Total Wine, Milltown

FLORIDA

Total Wine, Boca Raton
Total Wine, Boynton Beach
Total Wine, Clearwater
Total Wine, Fort Lauderdale
Total Wine, Fort Myers
Total Wine, Jasksonville
Total Wine, Miami
Total Wine, North Miami
Total Wine, Naples
Total Wine (Colonial Plaza), Orlando
Total Wine (Millenia Plaza), Orlando
Total Wine, Palm Beach Gardens
Total Wine, Pembroke Pines
Total Wine, Plantation
Total Wine, St. Petersburg
Total Wine, Sarasota
Total Wine, Stuart
Total Wine, Tampa
Total Wine, Village of Wellington

ILLINOIS

Binny’s, Bloomington
Friar Tucks, Bloomington
Binny’s (Downers Grove), Chicago
Binny’s (Marcey), Chicago

INDIANA

Keg Liquors, Clarksville
Crown Liquors, Indianapolis
Village Liquors, West Lafayette

IOWA

Benz Beverage Depot, Cedar Rapids
Royal Mile, Des Moines
Schera’s Algerian American Restaurant, Elkader
John’s Grocery, Iowa City

KENTUCKY

The Party Source, Bellevue (Cincinnati)
Wino’s Depot, Bowling Green
The Beer Trappe, Lexington
Louisville Beer Store, Louisville
Sergio’s World Beers, Louisville
Roof Brothers, Paducah

LOUISIANA

Whole Foods, Baton Rouge
Aquistapace’s Grocery, Covington
Whole Foods (Veterans), Metarie
Stein’s Deli, New Orleans
Whole Foods (Arabella Station), New Orleans

MARYLAND

Corridor Fine Wine, Laurel
Beltway Fine Wine, Towson

MASSACHUSETTS

Craft Beer Cellar, Belmont (Boston)
Provisions, Northampton
Redstone Liquors, Stoneham
Julio’s, Westborough

MINNESOTA

Heritage Liquor, Minneapolis
Andy’s Liquor, Rochester
West Side Liquors, St. Cloud

MISSOURI

tbd

NEVADA

Total Wine, Henderson
Total Wine, Las Vegas
Total Wine, Reno

NEW YORK

DeCicco’s, Ardsley
DeCicco’s, Brewster
Breukelen Bier Merchants, Brooklyn
Brouwerij Lane, Brooklyn
Beer Street, Brooklyn
Beer Table Pantry, Manhattan
The Cannibal, Manhattan
City Swiggers, Manhattan
Good Beer, Manhattan
New Beer Distributors, Manhattan
Top Hops, Manhattan
Whole Foods Bowery, Manhattan
DeCicco’s, Pelham

NORTH CAROLINA

Total Wine, Cary
Total Wine (Park Towne Village), Charlotte
Total Wine (Grand Promenade Phase II),Charlotte
Total Wine (Promenade on Providence), Charlotte
Total Wine, Durham
Total Wine (Battleground Square), Greensboro
Total Wine (Oakwood Square), Greensboro
Total Wine, Huntersville
Total Wine (Brier Creek), Raleigh
Total Wine (Triangle Plaza), Raleigh
Total Wine (Six Forks Road), Raleigh
Total Wine, Winston-Salem

OHIO

Lizardville, Bedford Heights (Cleveland)
Jungle Jim’s, Cincinnati
Belmont Party Supply, Dayton
Lizardville, Rocky River (Cleveland)
Anderson’s, Maumee (Toledo)
Vintage Estates, Youngstown

OREGON

Corvallis Beer Supply, Corvallis
Market of Choice, Corvallis
Bier Stein, Eugene
Market of Choice, Eugene
16 Tons Beer & Wine, Eugene
Belmont Station, Portland
Beer Monger, Portland
Saraveza, Portland
Hop & Vine, Portland
John’s Market, Portland
Market of Choice, Portland
Market of Choice, West Linn

SOUTH CAROLINA

Total Wine, Charleston
Total Wine, Columbia
Total Wine, Greenville

VERMONT

Hunger Mountain Co-Op, Montpellier
Beverage Warehouse, Winooski (Burlington)

The Westvleteren 12 gift pack will be hitting the LCBO shelves sometime this week. $76.85 for a 6 pack with two glasses. Cheaper than people expected.

Way more than what you'd pay if bought directly from the abbey, but the pricing really isn't that bad compared to what you'd pay at a gray-market bottle shop in Belgium or on ebay. My Westy 12 bottles in Brussels were 10 Euro a piece.

Viewt

Way more than what you'd pay if bought directly from the abbey, but the pricing really isn't that bad compared to what you'd pay at a gray-market bottle shop in Belgium or on ebay. My Westy 12 bottles in Brussels were 10 Euro a piece.

It's a really solid deal for us U.S. importers. I've paid $120 for a six-pack with shipping. This is $45 less and you get some beer glasses out of it. I'll be there.

It's a really solid deal for us U.S. importers. I've paid $120 for a six-pack with shipping. This is $45 less and you get some beer glasses out of it. I'll be there.

Shelton Brothers can go eat a dick since they pulled out of WA a couple years ago (no Jolly Pumpkin, no Baird, etc.). I don't think I'd bite even if it was coming here, though. I've had Westy 12 enough times and I wish they included the full-size glasses.

Sucks that only Total Wine is getting it here in FL. We don't have one in Tallahassee. Thankfully, my friend is going to try and score a pack down in south FL so we can split it. 3 bottles and 1 glass each.

Tunic

Shelton Brothers can go eat a dick since they pulled out of WA a couple years ago (no Jolly Pumpkin, no Baird, etc.). I don't think I'd bite even if it was coming here, though. I've had Westy 12 enough times and I wish they included the full-size glasses.

Yeah Shelton sucks! We lost access to several beers because of them.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Westy XII will sell for whatever the dealer thinks he can get for it. I wouldn't expect it to be nearly as sought after as you're probably expecting. You might be surprised how many people just don't give a shit about Belgian beer at all.

Westy XII will sell for whatever the dealer thinks he can get for it. I wouldn't expect it to be nearly as sought after as you're probably expecting. You might be surprised how many people just don't give a shit about Belgian beer at all.

I bet it will sell out immediately in certain states (OR, CA, CO, FL, MA), but sit around for a while in others where beer culture isn't as big. Plus, Westy 12 really doesn't have the trade value that it once held. It's still a solid beer that is worth trying, though.

I bet it will sell out immediately in certain states (OR, CA, CO, FL, MA), but sit around for a while in others where beer culture isn't as big. Plus, Westy 12 really doesn't have the trade value that it once held. It's still a solid beer that is worth trying, though.

This is exactly it. It's a worthy beer, but I wouldn't buy it often even if it was available year round. It is arguably the best Trappist beer, but is it so much better than the others that it demands a price that high? On taste alone, no. The only reason it is so expensive is because it is so exclusive. I'd just as soon buy a bomber of Chimay Blue, a beer I personally think is almost as good as Westy 12 but costs a fraction of the price.

Viewt

Obi's got it right. Westvleteren is one of those beers that you have every year or two. If I could pick it up on the regular, even if it was $20 for a sixpack, I probably wouldn't. It's much too boozy and complex to be enjoyed casually.

That being said, everyone should try it at least once. It's got tons of layers, and I can safely say I've had few beers quite like it. St. Bernardus Abt. 12 is the closest, but even that isn't quite the same.

And I'll agree that Chimay Bleu Grande Reserve is like 90% as good a beer as Westvleteren, while also being a fraction of the price (like $9 for a bomber) and widely distributed. Hell, you can buy it at Publix.

Velinos

This is exactly it. It's a worthy beer, but I wouldn't buy it often even if it was available year round. It is arguably the best Trappist beer, but is it so much better than the others that it demands a price that high? On taste alone, no. The only reason it is so expensive is because it is so exclusive. I'd just as soon buy a bomber of Chimay Blue, a beer I personally think is almost as good as Westy 12 but costs a fraction of the price.

Very true. I went to Belgium back in May and tried all three Westvleterens; personally I liked the 8 much better than the 12. I found the 12 to be a bit too astringent compared to Rochefort 10 or St Bernardus Abt 12. The 8 was very balanced and very similar to Rochefort 8.

I would only recommend getting this gift pack to those who have tried all the other trappist beers and want to try this for completions sake AND do not have the opportunity to travel to Belgium. For everyone else, I would say to just save your money and do like I did and spend a week traveling around Belgium trying this and all the other tasty beers that they do not export. I got a bottle of the 12 at the abbey's cafe for 4.70 euro and they also will sell up to six bottles to take home at the cafe, but take note that they only sell bottles to take home during the week not on weekends. I unfortunately went on Saturday and found this out the hard way, but at least I got to try them while I was there.

Viewt

Very true. I went to Belgium back in May and tried all three Westvleterens; personally I liked the 8 much better than the 12. I found the 12 to be a bit too astringent compared to Rochefort 10 or St Bernardus Abt 12. The 8 was very balanced and very similar to Rochefort 8.

I would only recommend getting this gift pack to those who have tried all the other trappist beers and want to try this for completions sake AND do not have the opportunity to travel to Belgium. For everyone else, I would say to just save your money and do like I did and spend a week traveling around Belgium trying this and all the other tasty beers that they do not export. I got a bottle of the 12 at the abbey's cafe for 4.70 euro and they also will sell up to six bottles to take home at the cafe, but take note that they only sell bottles to take home during the week not on weekends. I unfortunately went on Saturday and found this out the hard way, but at least I got to try them while I was there.

I didn't care for the Rochefort 10 too much. Too boozy, if you ask me.

For me, I'd rank the trappists like so:

1. Westvleteren
2. Chimay
3. La Trappe
4. Achel
5. Orval
6. Rochefort
7. Westmalle

Westmalle's Dubbel was the only one I've had that I've actively disliked.

TheExodu5

Banned
People are saying the Westy is a lot better once you age it. Can I even properly age a beer without a wine cooler? If I age it at room temp, would it go bad?

Viewt

People are saying the Westy is a lot better once you age it. Can I even properly age a beer without a wine cooler? If I age it at room temp, would it go bad?

The key is to put it somewhere cool where it won't see much light. And preferably without much humidity. Some people cork their beers to limit the amount of humidity that can get in, but it's not mandatory or anything.

I'm sure there are beer nuts here who'll call me a heretic or something, but if you can just put it in a closet that doesn't get too hot, you'll be fine.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Oxidation is the main driver of an aging beer. Oxidation is also heavily temperature dependent. The higher the temperature, the faster oxidation happens, increasing exponentially. And slower is better.

The common idea is that 50f is a good compromise between fast and still good character. Room temperature (65-70) is ok. Anything above that starts to just be too hot.

For anything that should be consumed fresh, refrigerator temperatures are always better.

TheExodu5

Banned
Westy 12 does age well, but it's also great fresh. If you've got two bottles, drink one now and wait at least a year on the other one.

I'm getting a full six pack so I'll definitely have a chance to see it progress over the years. I'll drink one now, and probably at 6 month intervals after that.

Oxidation is the main driver of an aging beer. Oxidation is also heavily temperature dependent. The higher the temperature, the faster oxidation happens, increasing exponentially. And slower is better.

The common idea is that 50f is a good compromise between fast and still good character. Room temperature (65-70) is ok. Anything above that starts to just be too hot.

For anything that should be consumed fresh, refrigerator temperatures are always better.

I'll have to settle for room temp, as I have no wine cooler or anything similar for proper storage. The question is whether it'll be fine for 2-3 years at room temp (70.5f at my place).

Malvolio

Is the Sam Adams glass, specific to Boston Lager, a gimmick? Or does it actually make a difference?

It's basically a gimmick, but it is a nice glass. Most of the larger craft breweries offer similar glasses with most of the "features" and I'll admit that I drink most of my beer from different versions of them. I think they are nice to have around when drinking something special, but a standard pint does a fine job as well.

Tunic

There are rumors of them coming back in 2013 or 2014, but I'm not holding my breath.

I really miss Baird. It's easily found in BC and Oregon, but still...

It just boggles my mind that they would leave one of the most if not the most beer friendly area in the US. I never had a chance to try any Baird beers. I just think it is total BS that either going 2 hours north or south from here you can find Shelton's imports. It is like they are showing us the middle finger.

It just boggles my mind that they would leave one of the most if not the most beer friendly area in the US. I never had a chance to try any Baird beers. I just think it is total BS that either going 2 hours north or south from here you can find Shelton's imports. It is like they are showing us the middle finger.

Eh, there are things we can get in WA that you can't in OR.

I originally had Baird at their taproom in Harajuku, Tokyo a few years ago. You can get 16 oz. bottles via Shelton, but they're not cheap. Priced similarly to Hitachino.

Cr0wn0

Why did they have to release Westy 12 2 weeks before christmas? I'm struggling if I should buy it or not! I have a buddy that will split it with me but 3 bottles for 45$ is tough for me!

kudos.

Drank Imperial Biscotti Break from Eviltwin a few nights back. So damn smooth.
Gonna drink Sierra Nevada Narwhal tonight. Love me some Imperial Stouts.

TheExodu5

Banned
No Westy in Ottawa yet. Apparently stores in Toronto were sold out within 5-10 minutes. One store was opening at 10am and there were 90 people in line by 9:40.

Looks like I'm lining up tomorrow. :|

vedderlax11

Neo Member
I wanna hear how Narwhal compares to Old Rasputin, which is probably the beer I drink the most out of the year.

I really enjoyed the Narwhale, and I love Old Rasputin. It has an almost biscuit taste at the end, and very little alcohol present. I'm cellaring a couple to see how they are down the road, but I definitely recommend it.

No Westy in Ottawa yet. Apparently stores in Toronto were sold out within 5-10 minutes. One store was opening at 10am and there were 90 people in line by 9:40.

Looks like I'm lining up tomorrow. :|

That's funny. Some bottle shops in Vancouver brokered a deal with the Abbey in the Summer of 2011 and were legally selling individual bottles of 8 and 12. They lasted a couple months.

Viewt

My sisters each bought a brick and an old coworker just picked up a brick as well. I might try and pick up a brick myself after work, but now at least there are a few sources I can mooch off of and get 2-3 bottles for myself.

Top Bottom