• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Sleepy

It's basically a gimmick, but it is a nice glass. Most of the larger craft breweries offer similar glasses with most of the "features" and I'll admit that I drink most of my beer from different versions of them. I think they are nice to have around when drinking something special, but a standard pint does a fine job as well.

Nice. Thanks!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You have a connection with a local. These are in westvletern wooden crates, not a gift set.
Oh, you meant straight from St. Sixtus. Got it.

To other people not feeling rich enough to plop down $100 on some Westvleteren 12, you can always just buy a couple of bottles of St. Bernardus's Abt. 12 for a reasonable approximation. St. Bernardus used to brew Westvleteren 12 under license for public distribution from the St. Sixtus monks with the assistance of the St. Sixtus brewmaster (the St. Sixtus monks themselves only made beer for themselves) for decades, but at some point it was determined that you couldn't call it a Trappist beer when it wasn't brewed on site, and they terminated the agreement. However, St. Bernardus Abt. 12 is still the same grain/hop bill as Westvleteren 12, although Westvleteren uses the Westmalle (another Trappist brewery) yeast and St. Bernardus uses the original.

All this Westvleteren talk has me desperately wanting to visit a trappist brewery when I'm in Europe later this month. I'll be in Belgium, but I don't think I could drink a crate of the stuff in a day or two LOL.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
All this Westvleteren talk has me desperately wanting to visit a trappist brewery when I'm in Europe later this month. I'll be in Belgium, but I don't think I could drink a crate of the stuff in a day or two LOL.

You can take the crate home. It isn't illegal to import Westvleteren's beer at all or bring it on the plane, it just needs to be in checked luggage. All you need to do is go through the hoops of figuring out what you need to do to get a crate of the beer from the monks.

Cr0wn0

Woke up at 8:30 this morning after telling myself I would pass on the Westy last night. Ended up going to total wine and splitting a brick with a buddy. Total wine got 127 bricks and by 9:15 had sold 40 of them. I'm happy I ended up getting it, it's something I had always wanted to try. I think I would have really regretted not getting it.

1. You don't have to buy a crate of them.
2. You can also buy individual bottles at certain bottle shops in Brussels. Beer Mania in Ixelles always has them. The price is jacked up, but it's another way to get them. That's how I got mine when I was there in 2011. I also know a few bars in Brussels that sell bottles for consumption on premises.

PG2G

Woke up at 8:30 this morning after telling myself I would pass on the Westy last night. Ended up going to total wine and splitting a brick with a buddy. Total wine got 127 bricks and by 9:15 had sold 40 of them. I'm happy I ended up getting it, it's something I had always wanted to try. I think I would have really regretted not getting it.

I just went back with a coworker at around 11:00 and they only had like 5 or 6 left at my Total Wine.

1. You don't have to buy a crate of them.
2. You can also buy individual bottles at certain bottle shops in Brussels. Beer Mania in Ixelles always has them. The price is jacked up, but it's another way to get them. That's how I got mine when I was there in 2011. I also know a few bars in Brussels that sell bottles for consumption on premises.

Cool, good to know. I just checked and the brewery is going to be closed the days we're there anyways.

Angry Grimace

Yeah, I ended up caving as well. A store posted on Facebook they would be selling in an hour so I made an excuse from work and drove over to get it. They had 15 bricks and 15 people in line 15 minutes before they opened, so they just sold them off (presumably so people wouldn't get in line and not get the beer).

EricM85

Fuck. Nothing in Washington. Luckily I have a friend doing a work rotation in Belgium, so will hopefully get a shipment from him soon. :)

Angry Grimace

Cool, good to know. I just checked and the brewery is going to be closed the days we're there anyways.

Probably rebuilding the roof with the US distribution money
KuGsj.gif

Angry Grimace

People across the country are popping off in anger about not getting any. Blame the monks, not the distributors. Its not like your local bottle shop had some option to sell more. I think I just got really lucky. I saw a FB post that a bottle shop I frequent was going to have some (I didn't even know they would), so I took an hour from work to drive over there. They hadn't really publicized it much so there were literally 2 dudes just sitting there 30 minutes before it opened.

Jamesways

Gifts packs going for up to $650 bucks on ebay. WHAT THE HELL!?!

So sucking down some Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale 2012. Fresh hop deliciousness.

And for anyone in the Mpls area, try Steel Toe Brewing. Their Size 7 IPA bombers are fantastic. Trying the Dissent Dark Ale right now and it's seriously one of the best dark ales I've had in a long time.

thespot84

In the US, Westy pack is currently going for $355 on ebay...bids still open.

this is for 6 beers? I'll be honest I think that's ludicrous. I don't really regret spending hours in line to try pliny (it was very good. I've had better beer around town, worth it? meh). But spending $60 for a 12 oz bottle of beer?

Jamesways

this is for 6 beers? I'll be honest I think that's ludicrous. I don't really regret spending hours in line to try pliny (it was very good. I've had better beer around town, worth it? meh). But spending $60 for a 12 oz bottle of beer?

Seriously. I realize the whole collectors mentality, but Jesus. Cherish that bottle a year for six years I guess. 60-100 bucks a bottle, think of how many other delicious beers you can get for that.

PG2G

I don't think its a collector thing, it is an experience thing. People want to experience what many people consider the best beer in the world and will pay what they think is necessary to do it. I'm sure its on a lot of beer fan's bucket lists.

Logic doesn't really apply :p

Ramblin

Banned
This sounds like beersteria. I suffer from it. Why did I ever have to try those weird beers while I was in Oregon 11 years ago? Eleven years of scouring Toronto liquor stores for a sniff of anything half-decent.

Angry Grimace

Nobody would blink if it was the same volume of wine.

The ebay thing is ridiculous. That's higher prices than Westvleteren 12 costs on any given day when someone brings some back from Belgium.

Having a half pint of the Stone 12.12.12 Vertical right now. Really tasty and a good winter ale, chocolate, cinnamon, and other warm spices. Not to mention 9% alcohol.

Just finished my Chimay, not sure if I want to break into one of these other monsters tonight.
I've got a Trig final tomorrow, but it isn't until 7:30 at night. Still need to study though.

grendelrt

Having a half pint of the Stone 12.12.12 Vertical right now. Really tasty and a good winter ale, chocolate, cinnamon, and other warm spices. Not to mention 9% alcohol.

Friend of mine has each one since like 06 I believe, we are going to have a Vertical day and drink each one :O

Angry Grimace

Friend of mine has each one since like 06 I believe, we are going to have a Vertical day and drink each one :O

Doing a Vertical of VE will result in some people being Horizontal before they get to 12.12.12 since all of them are like 10% ABV minimum.

Nice! I can't wait to pick it up. I was extremely fond of 11.11.11 and 10.10.10. Never had any of the previous years, sadly.

Laekon

I'm disappointed in the Westvleteren. Nothing about the taste, aroma, or mouth feel is special. I bought it on a whim and split it with co-workers so its not a big lose.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm disappointed in the Westvleteren. Nothing about the taste, aroma, or mouth feel is special. I bought it on a whim and split it with co-workers so its not a big lose.

Keep in mind it's supposed to mature a lot while aging. A lot of people recommend aging it 1-2 years. I'll probably be having one every 6 months to see how it progresses.

Is it just me or has there been an unusual amount of hostility towards people who did get Westy 12 today (from beer bloggers). I mean... so what if some "normal people" got their hands on some and get to try it out? Yeah, they're excited about it but it's hardly any different than the people who tweet from other rare beer events talking about what they got their hands on.

*shrugs* I dunno... I definitely fall under the beer nerd category and I didn't get the anger except for rolling my eyes at the people overly marking up the price on eBay.

Laekon

Keep in mind it's supposed to mature a lot while aging. A lot of people recommend aging it 1-2 years. I'll probably be having one every 6 months to see how it progresses.
Well I drank one bottle tonight and still have two left. I'll see if I can put them aside for a year or so.

TheExodu5

Banned
Thanks to another kind GAF member that will be accompanying me tomorrow, I'll be getting two 6-packs, hopefully. Great news since it'll make it a lot easier for me to share it with friends.

TheExodu5

Banned
Just checked a few Westy 12 reviews. One was seemingly using a fresh bottle, and the head was bubbly and dissipated quickly. Another was stored for 4 months and the head was thick and creamy. Not sure if it's the aging that caused the difference, but they were certainly nothing alike.

Just checked a few Westy 12 reviews. One was seemingly using a fresh bottle, and the head was bubbly and dissipated quickly. Another was stored for 4 months and the head was thick and creamy. Not sure if it's the aging that caused the difference, but they were certainly nothing alike.

Reviewers are also nothing alike.

TheExodu5

Banned
Question regarding the beer serving temperature: how do you ensure your beer is at the right temp if you don't have a cellar? Do you stick it in the fridge, let it get cold, and take it out for a while beforehand? Do you stick it in the fridge for a small amount of time?

Question regarding the beer serving temperature: how do you ensure your beer is at the right temp if you don't have a cellar? Do you stick it in the fridge, let it get cold, and take it out for a while beforehand? Do you stick it in the fridge for a small amount of time?

Room temp always.

Top Bottom