• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Beer GAF, recommend me some beer need glasses. I've been drinking straight out of the bottle and need to change my ways.

central-beer-glass-infographic.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I prefer the elongated tulip glasses that hold a full pint - they're much nicer for beers like IPA where you want aroma in your nose, but you don't want a tiny little glass.

Room temp always.

Beer should not be served at room temperature; cellar temperature is not room temperature. In fact, its generally a good 15-20 degrees lower than room temperature. Consult Randy Mosher's "Tasting Beer" if you need to know the correct serving temperature for a given style.

I drink everything out of the mug, that's all I've got.
I'd really like a huge chalice where I could pour the entire bottle into there and not worry about it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Got 2 6 packs of Westvleteren 12. My roommate got 2 as well.

Got there at 8:30 and the store was opening at 10. There were 100 people by 9. The store didn't hand out numbers...they just let the line get bigger and bigger...ended with about 150-200 people. They only had 45 6 packs. I didn't think it would be this exclusive.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Got 2 6 packs of Westvleteren 12. My roommate got 2 as well.

Got there at 8:30 and the store was opening at 10. There were 100 people by 9. The store didn't hand out numbers...they just let the line get bigger and bigger...ended with about 150-200 people. They only had 45 6 packs. I didn't think it would be this exclusive.
I'm surprised they didn't limit it to 1-per-customer.

Beer should not be served at room temperature; cellar temperature is not room temperature. In fact, its generally a good 15-20 degrees lower than room temperature. Consult Randy Mosher's "Tasting Beer" if you need to know the correct serving temperature for a given style.

I disagree utterly and don't particularly care.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You drink your beer at room temperature?

I'm pretty certain he's just trolling. I thought maybe he was one of those guys who thought British bitters should be served at room temp (as opposed to cellar temp, which a lot of people think are the same thing), but he's going on about drinking out of mugs and other inanities.

TheExodu5

Banned
So is the plan to enjoy them or profit from them?

Enjoy them. I'm selling a few to some beer loving friends at cost.

Anyways, trying my first now. It's good, but the flavor and smell is far more subtle than I expected. I don't want to say I'm disappointed because this is what I expected off a fresh bottle. I want to say that I also feel the carbonation is a bit too heavy at the moment and it masks the flavor more than it should. Very nice though, and amazingly smooth for a 10% beer. I'm very curious to see how this changes over time.

Also, I'm definitely drinking it near room temp next time. I probably have been drinking it at about 12C or so (just guessing), but the flavor is getting more and more prominent (especially in the nose) as it warms up. I might just stick it in the fridge for 15 minutes next time to give it a very slight chill.

I completely agree with what some people have said in reviews: this definitely smells like raisin bread. I couldn't smell it when I poured it at first, but 15 minutes later it's totally there. I'm going to drink this slowly over the next 30 minutes while it warms up to see how much it changes.

TheExodu5

Banned
This beer is getting better and better.

One thing really strikes me about this beer. It's so incredibly well balanced. Nothing is overwhelming. There's a lot of complexity to it though so I feel sipping it is really rewarding.

When I first poured it it was definitely too cold...I couldn't smell a thing. Now the smell is intoxicating. I just keep smelling it it smells so good.

It's a good thing this beer isn't cheap. I have yet to drink a 10% beer this smooth. The alcohol really sneaks up on you.

KingGondo

Banned

One thing really strikes me about this beer. It's so incredibly well balanced. Nothing is overwhelming. There's a lot of complexity to it though so I feel sipping it is really rewarding.

When I first poured it it was definitely too cold...I couldn't smell a thing. Now the smell is intoxicating. I just keep smelling it it smells so good.

It's a good thing this beer isn't cheap. I have yet to drink a 10% beer this smooth. The alcohol really sneaks up on you.
So jelly

Ramblin

Banned

Monks brew the best beer and Nuns make the best mistresses.

PG2G

Any recommended beer blogs/news sites? I found out about the Westy release the morning of by checking here, I got realllly lucky.

TheExodu5

Banned
After I finished the glass, I just kept smelling the empty glass. The smell changed considerably just sitting there for a few minutes. I guess this might give me an idea of what to expect as it ages.

Now to wait 6 months until the next one. :(

Oh, and just to stress: do not drink this beer at fridge temperature. You really won't taste much if you do. It'll be smooth and balanced, but you won't be getting any of the complex aromas at all if you do. This one really shines as it warms a bit (or maybe letting it breathe for a bit helps?).

Angry Grimace

After I finished the glass, I just kept smelling the empty glass. The smell changed considerably just sitting there for a few minutes. I guess this might give me an idea of what to expect as it ages.

Now to wait 6 months until the next one. :(

Oh, and just to stress: do not drink this beer at fridge temperature. You really won't taste much if you do. It'll be smooth and balanced, but you won't be getting any of the complex aromas at all if you do. This one really shines as it warms a bit (or maybe letting it breathe for a bit helps?).

If you have a cellar or other consistently 54° room, I would suggest keeping it there and serving at that temperature.

Something that might be fun (which is what I'm doing, although its kind of pricey), is to buy 6 bottles of St. Bernardus Abt. 12 (which is literally the same recipe as Westvleteren 12, but brewed by non-monks and using the "original" Westvleteren yeast strain), and possibly 6 bottles of Rochefort 10 (another exquisite Trappist Belgian Dark Strong) and age them alongside the Westvleteren so you can do a nice vertical at the predetermined aging periods.

TheExodu5

Banned
If you have a cellar or other consistently 54° room, I would suggest keeping it there and serving at that temperature.

Something that might be fun (which is what I'm doing, although its kind of pricey), is to buy 6 bottles of St. Bernardus Abt. 12 (which is literally the same recipe as Westvleteren 12, but brewed by non-monks and using the "original" Westvleteren yeast strain), and possibly 6 bottles of Rochefort 10 (another exquisite Trappist Belgian Dark Strong) and age them alongside the Westvleteren so you can do a nice vertical at the predetermined aging periods.

Sadly I have nothing resembling a cellar here. They'll be stored closer to 70F. :(

Angry Grimace

Sadly I have nothing resembling a cellar here. They'll be stored closer to 70F. :(

The refrigerator is a better option than 70° because a place that is 70° likely fluctuates daily by a good 10-15 degrees.

I have a fridge in the garage that I keep between 50 and 55 for my beer. I've also got lots of boxes that I store bottles in. The garage stays below 60 year round so it's a great cellaring space.

TheExodu5

Banned
The refrigerator is a better option than 70° because a place that is 70° likely fluctuates daily by a good 10-15 degrees.

Can't keep it in the fridge. Not enough room.

I could always get a styrofoam cooler like some recommend, to prevent fluctuations.

It's a shame, my grandmother has a legitimate cellar, but she's pretty anti-alcohol so I don't think I should broach on the subject of storing beer.

TheExodu5

Banned
Sold two at cost to beer lovers at work today. I think I'll gift one to another friend who will definitely appreciate it.

That will leave me 8 for myself.

My only regret is that I'm giving away unaged bottles and the people I'm giving them to definitely won't be aging them beforehand.

Still really curious to see what it'll be like once its aged. Besides maturing, I think a reduction in carbonation is very much needed for this beer. The carbonation is definitely too heavy in a fresh bottle and I think it masks some of the subtleties of the beer.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Sold two at cost to beer lovers at work today. I think I'll gift one to another friend who will definitely appreciate it.

That will leave me 8 for myself.

My only regret is that I'm giving away unaged bottles and the people I'm giving them to definitely won't be aging them beforehand.

Still really curious to see what it'll be like once its aged. Besides maturing, I think a reduction in carbonation is very much needed for this beer. The carbonation is definitely too heavy in a fresh bottle and I think it masks some of the subtleties of the beer.

You don't have to age this stuff.

Aging changes beer. Whether or not it makes it better is subjective opinion. Don't buy into this bullshit about mandatory aging.

You don't have to age this stuff.

Aging changes beer. Whether or not it makes it better is subjective opinion. Don't buy into this bullshit about mandatory aging.

Sure it's not mandatory but you'd be hard pressed to argue that some styles don't scream "age me". I wouldn't suggest it for any IPAs though. *chuckles* Though I have had a couple this went missing and when I found them again, they tasted like an old ale. I was kinda impressed.

I usually dont drink beer because I tend to like spirits (scotch, rum, vodka) more. Maybe I just havent tried awesome beers. I'm just looking for some quick recommendations that are available in Montreal.
Here are some I tend to stick with:
- alexander keith IPA
- rickards white
- sapporo
I'm down for any type of beer!

How is it? I shared a bottle of Kiuchi's ginger brew with the gf last night. We both really enjoyed it, but it's the only Kiuchi product any of our local places carry.

It's good. Traditional English IPA that's been aged in cedar sake casks, so you get a bit of that in there as well.

tSOX3.jpg

Weekend pickups. Was totally shocked to see the Baird Imperial Stout in Seattle since they don't distribute to the state.

TheExodu5

Banned
I usually dont drink beer because I tend to like spirits (scotch, rum, vodka) more. Maybe I just havent tried awesome beers. I'm just looking for some quick recommendations that are available in Montreal.
Here are some I tend to stick with:
- alexander keith IPA
- rickards white
- sapporo
I'm down for any type of beer!

I'll go ahead and recommend Unibroue beers that should be readily available in your area. I recommend trying Blanche de Chambly and Ephemere. If you're up to more of a challenge, go for La Fin Du Monde or Trois Pistoles.
Sure it's not mandatory but you'd be hard pressed to argue that some styles don't scream "age me". I wouldn't suggest it for any IPAs though. *chuckles* Though I have had a couple this went missing and when I found them again, they tasted like an old ale. I was kinda impressed.

Yeah just from drinking one, I definitely get a sense of where the Westvleteren can go when properly aged. As I've said, I felt the carbonation was too overpowering in the fresh ale so aging will at least tame that a bit. As it breathed in my glass, it really developed more interesting flavors/smells (especially when the glass was empty), so I'm expecting similar qualities from the aged ale. We'll see. I'll probably try my next bottle around my birthday in August, so I'll make a note then as to how it's evolved.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I think I'm finally going to crack one of my bottles of Dark Lord 2012 over Christmas. Hopefully it's not as sweet as it was on Dark Lord Day.

Top Bottom