• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

I'll go ahead and recommend Unibroue beers that should be readily available in your area. I recommend trying Blanche de Chambly and Ephemere. If you're up to more of a challenge, go for La Fin Du Monde or Trois Pistoles.
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll be sure to give them a try!

koryuken

one of my favorite beers. Cannot recommend it enough. (as a plus, its 9% alcohol)

lafinbox.jpg

TheExodu5

Banned
one of my favorite beers. Cannot recommend it enough. (as a plus, its 9% alcohol)

lafinbox.jpg

Yup, love it.

If you can get some, I also love Ephemere

unibroue-ephemere-resized.jpg

Otherwise, Blanche de Chambly is also a great one.

Roommate bought me a 12 pack of Dos Equis for Christmas. Honestly, for a macro brew, this stuff is pretty nice. Very light and smooth, but the after taste is quite pleasant. It has a nice sweet, toasted wheat aroma and flavor which puts it above probably any macro I've tried so far. I may have to pick up some more.

Link

The Autumn Wind

lafinbox.jpg
Also one of my favorites. One of the craft beer bars here is hosting an End of the World party tomorrow with this as the featured draft. You know I'm there.

Some great stuff in here all, happy drinking to you.

It appears one of my favorites is back out in the usual places.

New Holland's Cabin Fever. You want a nice dark winter brew, give this a shot.

cabinfever-5266.jpg

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
not the best distribution in TN, so I drove up to KY this afternoon and picked up some stuff im pretty excited about

UnPrP.jpg

Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA
Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout
Founders Centennial IPA
Bells Two Hearted Ale
Jester King Wytchmaker Rye IPA
Brooklyn Black Ops (Russian Imperial Stout)

Also was able to try Feigeist Abraxxxas on tap and thought it was delicious. really tasty berliner

The girlfriend and I shared a bottle of Barrel Aged Old Rasputin (XV) and I was a bit surprised: I much prefer the regular Old Rasputin. It had a definite smoky flavor and Bourbon-like undertone, but it seemed a bit on the watery side and very boozey. Not sure if this is something that could improve with cellaring it for a bit, but I expected a little more for the price.

thcsquad

I had some Great Divide Hibernation Ale last night. That was mighty tasty, one of the best beers I've had in a few months. I'd recommend it to anybody who likes malty-sweet ales, which admittedly isn't a lot of people.

zroid

Banned
I had a beer called "Terrible" this evening. Fortunately, it was entirely the opposite. Very strong (10.5% abv) but thoroughly delicious. So flavourful!

not the best distribution in TN, so I drove up to KY this afternoon and picked up some stuff im pretty excited about

http://i.imgur.com/UnPrP.jpg[/IM]

Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA
Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout
Founders Centennial IPA
Bells Two Hearted Ale
Jester King Wytchmaker Rye IPA
Brooklyn Black Ops (Russian Imperial Stout)

Also was able to try Feigeist Abraxxxas on tap and thought it was delicious. really tasty berliner[/QUOTE]
michigan beer [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/q3w8R.gif

been doing the growler fills at Stone lately. still love the sublimely self-righteous ale.

HiResDes

The girlfriend and I shared a bottle of Barrel Aged Old Rasputin (XV) and I was a bit surprised: I much prefer the regular Old Rasputin. It had a definite smoky flavor and Bourbon-like undertone, but it seemed a bit on the watery side and very boozey. Not sure if this is something that could improve with cellaring it for a bit, but I expected a little more for the price.

I think what makes Old Rasputin so phenomenal is its balance, which barrel-aging probably upsets

Yes Boss!

20121223_213502siiyt.png

Been enjoying some Karl Strauss Tower 10 and Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA amongst others today, good shit.

I did a four-pack of Torpedo (cans) on Wednesday and, man, did it kick my ass. Also, found out the Flying Dog brewery is a few miles from where I live...gonna check it out. Tried the Flying Bitch on tap at a bar here on Friday...strong and interesting. I've always been turned off by their labels, but since they are local I'm gonna try em all!

mcfrank

200976_10151293816594798_2024828022_o.jpg

533504_10151293778814798_1896119441_n.jpg

My latest haul of sours. I was very happy to find a bottle of Boulevard Love Child number 2 while I am on vacation in Kansas, as it is quite rare at this point. The owner of a beer store dipped into his personal collection so I could have a bottle.

200976_10151293816594798_2024828022_o.jpg

533504_10151293778814798_1896119441_n.jpg

My latest haul of sours. I was very happy to find a bottle of Boulevard Love Child number 2 while I am on vacation in Kansas, as it is quite rare at this point. The owner of a beer store dipped into his personal collection so I could have a bottle.

I pulled out a bottle of Love Childe #2 last week while we were stuck in a blizzard. Enjoyed the hell out of it. Boulevard can put out a damn decent beer when they put their mind to it, especially for a brewery famous for a wheat beer to please the BMC crowd. Their Reverb imperial pils, and Harvest Dance wheat wine are also solid choices from them.

2011 goose island Christmas ale today, bottled on oct 12, 2011. Still have a few more for Xmas day 2013 and 2014.

I also have a couple bottles of 2010 bourbon county stout left, debating on having one today.

PG2G

Picked up bottles of 50/50 Eclipse, Firestone Anniversary XVI, Russian River Consecration, Jolly Pumpkin La Roja, and Barrel Aged Old Rasputin... and drinking water because I came down with a cold :|

Christmas was spent drinking:

Cantillon Lou Pepe Framboise (2009)
Fremont The Sister Imperial IPA
Full Sail Wreck the Halls Winter IPA
Deschutes Jubel 2010 : Only made once every 10 years.
Westvleteren 12 (2009)

Also, look for terms like kriek, framboise, gueuze, lambic when looking for sours. Brett does not necessarily mean sour, though. Sometimes Brett is just funk, not sour.

mcfrank

Christmas was spent drinking:

Cantillon Lou Pepe Framboise (2009)
Fremont The Sister Imperial IPA
Full Sail Wreck the Halls Winter IPA
Deschutes Jubel 2010 : Only made once every 10 years.
Westvleteren 12 (2009)

Also, look for terms like kriek, framboise, gueuze, lambic when looking for sours. Brett does not necessarily mean sour, though. Sometimes Brett is just funk, not sour.

Yeah it doesn't always mean sour, but like red or rouge it is a term to look out for.

Viewt

Just got back from Total Wine with my Christmas haul:

fZ00A.jpg

So having had everything in this photo, here are my thoughts from left to right:

Collesi Imper Ale Bionda Ego: Highly carbonated and a tiny bit sour. As far as Golden Ales go, you can get a lot better for considerably less money. Would not buy again.

Rogue Old Crustacean Barleywine: Rogue delivers once again. It's a big one at 11.5%, but I really liked it. Would definitely buy again.

Moinette Blonde: Considerably better than the Collesi as a Golden Ale, but still kind of middling. Saison Dupont remains the best beer I've had out of this brewery. Probably wouldn't buy again.

Castelain Blond Biere: The best Golden Ale of the bunch. Crisp and delightful and pairs very well with hors d'oeuvres. Would definitely buy again.

St. Bernardus Tripel: I've had this a bunch of times and actually prefer it to the Quadrupel. It doesn't leave me feeling quite as full afterwards, but still packs a bunch when it comes to flavor. Would obviously continue to buy.

Kwak: I've had this a bunch, too. One of the best widespread Belgian beers you can get. Will obviously continue to buy.

Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Ale: This one smells a bit better than it tastes, but it's still got some nice complexity. Unfortunately, it's a bit more expensive than I'd like considering it didn't exactly blow my socks off. Might buy again.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

lafinbox.jpg

Came very close to picking this one up tonight, decided to stick with some familiars instead since I didn't want to blow money on one I might not totally dig while money's slightly tight. Glad to see it get some love from GAF, might go back and pick up the 750 next time I'm in Waldorf.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Came very close to picking this one up tonight, decided to stick with some familiars instead since I didn't want to blow money on one I might not totally dig while money's slightly tight. Glad to see it get some love from GAF, might go back and pick up the 750 next time I'm in Waldorf.
I'd say I'm disappointed in you, but I really can't fault what you did pick up. Definitely try La Fin Du Monde soon, though.

Kwixotik

Recently I've started to graduate from Budweisers and such and started to explore new territory. Over the past month, I've tried the following:

Fat Tire
Left Hand Milk Stout
Anchor Christmas Ale
Oaked Arrogant Bastard
Founders Porter
Founders Breakfast Stout
Wells Banana Bread Beer

I have a few others waiting for me: Sam Smith's Imperial Stout, Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale, Bell's Expedition Stout, New Holland Dragon's Milk, Founders Curmudgeon Old Ale, and Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

The Anchor Christmas Ale and Founders have been great. The only one I wasn't feeling much so far was the Oaked Arrogant Bastard (I think Des recommended that one); it was just too sharp lol. The label wasn't lying. I wasn't able to find any of the wintery beers you guys recommended though. Can't wait to try the others. I'll have a pic of all the bottles soon.

Victory just started distributing in our area! So we just picked up their Storm King imperial stout, Hop Devil, Hop Wallop, and a tripel called Green Monkey. Gonna try them with a few friends tonight. I've heard good things, so it ought to be a good night!

Top Bottom