• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Link

The Autumn Wind
Victory just started distributing in our area! So we just picked up their Storm King imperial stout, Hop Devil, Hop Wallop, and a tripel called Green Monkey. Gonna try them with a few friends tonight. I've heard good things, so it ought to be a good night!
Golden Monkey. And that's a good pickup.

Had to do a double-take when I saw a sixer of Gumballhead at my local store, so I just had to snag it.
I was also lucky to find a 4 pack of some Sammy Smith's Winter Welcome, should be a nice weekend.

Bigfoot

You're in Canada, right? Columbia City Brewing's Red Racer IPA and Driftwood's Fat Tug IPA are stellar examples of the style. They're both BC breweries.
I'm in BC and was able to finally track down the Red Racer IPA. It is very good, however I've had a few other IPAs since I asked about them, and I don't think Red Racer is my favorite. I would put it 2nd to the Wild Rose IPA. However it is a close 2nd with the rest far behind. It will likely be my main beer though whenever I'm in BC.

I think IPAs are a great style now that I know what they are. I'm not sure if I could handle anything much hopier like a DIPA yet though.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Sounds like Russian River is withdrawing from WA, OR, CO and PA... ie. everywhere but California.

SAD PANDA.

When it is hard to find in the Bay Area (ie an hour from the brewery) it is hard to be surprised that they would have to do that. Still, a tough move to make.

When it is hard to find in the Bay Area (ie an hour from the brewery) it is hard to be surprised that they would have to do that. Still, a tough move to make.

It's totally understandable from a business perspective, but still sucks.

We just had the most recent shipment of Pliny last week... probably our last.

I'll be picking up whatever -tion beers I can find on Wednesday.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It's totally understandable from a business perspective, but still sucks.

We just had the most recent shipment of Pliny last week... probably our last.

I'll be picking up whatever -tion beers I can find on Wednesday.

What is your source to this anyway? I saw the speculative post on the NW forum on BA, but havent seen anything concrete yet.

Owner of a bottle shop who sells more RR beer than anywhere else in Seattle.

Hopefully it's BS. We'll see.

Wow, that's crazy... but considering they have no intentions of upping their production more than it is now and craft beer has gotten so popular... I could see it happening. :/

It's true. Letters were sent out this week to bottle shops and bars about RR withdrawing from the WA market. No clue about the few other states who get their stuff. Just walked over to my neighborhood pub and had a glass of Supplication. :-(

Tunic

It's true. Letters were sent out this week to bottle shops and bars about RR withdrawing from the WA market. No clue about the few other states who get their stuff. Just walked over to my neighborhood pub and had a glass of Supplication. :-(

I don't understand this. Is it because they are having trouble getting their beer around local markets? If that is the case then use all the money they have been receiving to expand their equipment. I can guarantee they having been making quite a bit of money selling their beers up here in WA. I am so sick and tired of WA losing all this great beer year after year. It is very annoying...

I think they're going to post the letter on Seattle Beer News sometime during the week. Vinnie doesn't want to expand from what I've read, and their first priority is their home turf. As long as they dump PA, I'll be fine. If we got dumped over PA, I'll be pissed.

Tunic

qjaTk.jpg

They are putting blame on the liquor laws in this state. I think that is bs, how is it harder for them now to distribute here than before? We have shops such as BevMo and Total Wine that have inventory of their beers. They are more accessible than ever before with everything expect Pliny which is very understandable. As for your hope for PA being dumped I think we are the only state out of distribution which is absolute BS!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
qjaTk.jpg

They are putting blame on the liquor laws in this state. I think that is bs, how is it harder for them now to distribute here than before? We have shops such as BevMo and Total Wine that have inventory of their beers. They are more accessible than ever before with everything expect Pliny which is very understandable. As for your hope for PA being dumped I think we are the only state out of distribution which is absolute BS!

From the wording, it sounds like they wanted to limit who can get them. In CA at least, you won't find RR at BevMo, you only find it at random ass liquor stores and bottle shops that happen to have distribution for whatever reason. I have no insight as to how someone gets on that list here.

Cr0wn0

I was in CA 3 weeks ago and went all over the place looking for RR stuff. Could not find it anywhere. I would imagine a company with 20 investors would want the brewery to keep expanding to maximize profits. Sounds like some kind of turmoil going on inside the company. Why would you stay small and focus on your brewpub when you could obviously make a killing expanding. Quality over quantity doesn't make much sense when other breweries are expanding and still making great beers. Edit: ON a different note, Local place had growler fills of la folie for 16$. Soo good and the price is insane.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I was in CA 3 weeks ago and went all over the place looking for RR stuff. Could not find it anywhere. I would imagine a company with 20 investors would want the brewery to keep expanding to maximize profits. Sounds like some kind of turmoil going on inside the company. Why would you stay small and focus on your brewpub when you could obviously make a killing expanding. Quality over quantity doesn't make much sense when other breweries are expanding and still making great beers.

Its not that kind of company. It just isn't. They're not looking to be a huge conglomerate.

I've got two bottles of Temptation, a Beatification and a Consecration in the garage. I will be picking up whatever I can tomorrow and Wednesday.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I was in CA 3 weeks ago and went all over the place looking for RR stuff. Could not find it anywhere. I would imagine a company with 20 investors would want the brewery to keep expanding to maximize profits. Sounds like some kind of turmoil going on inside the company. Why would you stay small and focus on your brewpub when you could obviously make a killing expanding. Quality over quantity doesn't make much sense when other breweries are expanding and still making great beers. Edit: ON a different note, Local place had growler fills of la folie for 16$. Soo good and the price is insane.

They are making a killing now. They would probably need upwards of $10 million for an expansion, and add in the increased issues with controlling product in the marketplace as you expand, problems with raw materials availability, increased risk, worries about shelf stability of your flagship, I don't blame the Cilurzos for resisting expansion.

I've got growlers of Crux's Snow Cave winter warmer and Four Pound Sterling IPA for NYE tonight. Freshly filled in Bend, OR yesterday afternoon.

fenners

They are making a killing now. They would probably need upwards of $10 million for an expansion, and add in the increased issues with controlling product in the marketplace as you expand, problems with raw materials availability, increased risk, worries about shelf stability of your flagship, I don't blame the Cilurzos for resisting expansion.

Yep - it totally sounds like the business is at a decision point, similar to how Stone was a few years ago. They could grow bigger to keep up with demand, which would require them to take on yet more investors & get more commercial, like Stone, or they could keep "as is" & focus on what matters to them & be happy with their current profit level.

Sounds like they're not wanting to grow commercially but to stay at their current size/scale & focus on the brewpub.

Tunic

I haven't seen it in stores yet but I hear Sierra Nevada Bigfoot is now coming in 4-packs instead of 6-packs. I will be highly disappointed if they will be charging the same price as the 6-packs. One of my favorites so I know I will purchase a few but still, never have been a fan of 4-packs.

I haven't seen it in stores yet but I hear Sierra Nevada Bigfoot is now coming in 4-packs instead of 6-packs. I will be highly disappointed if they will be charging the same price as the 6-packs. One of my favorites so I know I will purchase a few but still, never have been a fan of 4-packs.

They're out in WA, someone checked it in on Untappd last night.

Picked up some Damnation, Supplication and Redemption this morning. Sniff sniff :-(

Anyone else like Anderson Valley beers?
They aren't all that pricey like some of the big names but every brew I've had from them has been solid. They do a real nice job.

Tunic

Anyone else like Anderson Valley beers?
They aren't all that pricey like some of the big names but every brew I've had from them has been solid. They do a real nice job.

I have had the Hop Ottin IPA and Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout and really enjoy both. Reasonably priced around here too. I have seen their Amber around here too but I haven't tried it.

Viewt

As someone who's cherished the brief love affairs I've had with Pliny the Elder, I sure wish Russian River would expand. Dogfish Head seems to be expanding pretty well while retaining quality control. Though maybe things are easier in Milton where land's plentiful and probably cheap.

fenners

As someone who's cherished the brief love affairs I've had with Pliny the Elder, I sure wish Russian River would expand. Dogfish Head seems to be expanding pretty well while retaining quality control. Though maybe things are easier in Milton where land's plentiful and probably cheap.

Dogfish Head pulled distribution from a couple of states not so long ago. I think it's pretty clear that the level of commercial focus from DFH & Stone is what Russian River doesn't want to move towards, for better or for worse.

As a Texan, I still haven't had even a sight of Pliny.

PG2G

Its funny, of the Russian River beers... Pliny the Elder (haven't tried younger) is probably the one I care least about. Damnation and their sours are utterly fantastic. I'm nkt a big fan of IPAs though.

I think every region has their beers that are hard/impossible to find elsewhere. It'd be nice if I could come up on some Goose Island BCBS here. I guess that's why people trade though

While we got it in WA, I managed to have Elder 25-30 times, Younger once, and all of the distributed -tion beers (plus a bottle of each in a box in my garage), so that's not too bad.

Besides, Hop Venom is superior to Elder. REAL BEER TALK.

Applying for an entry level job at a local brewery. Anyone had any success getting on somewhere? Any advice? I know you're on somewhere Yaboosh, what do you guys look for when hiring? I feel like it will be impossible to get on anywhere with only homebrewing and no commercial experience. I would have majored in something more relevant than English had someone told my 19 year old self how infatuated with beer I would become :( :(

Writing a cover letter focusing on my awareness of the time and hard work necessary to dedicate to the craft and experience working with specialty ingredients but I don't feel too positive about it...

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Applying for an entry level job at a local brewery. Anyone had any success getting on somewhere? Any advice? I know you're on somewhere Yaboosh, what do you guys look for when hiring? I feel like it will be impossible to get on anywhere with only homebrewing and no commercial experience. I would have majored in something more relevant than English had someone told my 19 year old self how infatuated with beer I would become :( :(

Writing a cover letter focusing on my awareness of the time and hard work necessary to dedicate to the craft and experience working with specialty ingredients but I don't feel too positive about it...

First and foremost you want to live in an area with a bunch of different breweries so that you have lots of options/opportunities for a job. Nobody wants to hire on an entry level guy that has to move to the job.

I would recommend getting a job at a brewpub or really small brewery. At these places, you will actually have a chance to get all around experience. If you land a job in a production brewery, in all likelihood you will be doing grunt work on the bottling line or keg washer for the foreseeable future. It is worthless experience, something you learn in a day or two and then just repeat ad nauseum until you luck into an actual brewing/cellar job.

I myself don't really care about schooling when looking to hire an entry level brewer. I myself never took any classes, but from what I can tell, they don't teach you a whole lot that becomes useful to me.

What I look for in a candidate is someone who is smart, seems fun to work with, willing to work hard, fairly mechanically inclined, doesn't seem to drink like it is their job, and seems to have a mind for sanitation.

I got my first job at a brewpub, and I heard about the job availability from another brewer friend of mine. I went and talked to the head brewer who was hiring before the opening was ever posted. This is key. Once an opening is posted, you will have hundreds of people applying and you are lost in the fold.

I brought a six pack of my homebrew (various kinds) to give to the guy, and drink with him. I can't speak to all breweries out there, but do not treat a brewery interview like any other job interview. Don't wear a suit. Don't look disheveled but don't look like you are applying to be an accountant. Don't bring beer if your homebrew sucks.

Let your beer speak to your knowledge about brewing, and your passion for it.

It is not impossible at all to get on somewhere without any commercial experience. Homebrewing experience is a very good thing in getting a job in a brewery.

Depending on where you live, and hopefully it is a place where there are lots of breweries/brewpubs around, start asking around about job openings. Make friends in the industry and get them to help you. Every single job I have gotten (which is around 6 now) has been directly because of who I knew. My first job I got turned on to by a buddy in the industry. The second my first boss hooked me up with the guys. My third and fourth were the same. My fifth and current head position was because of other folks I knew. This industry is about people, and getting jobs is largely about who you know. It isn't particularly because of nepotism, it is because there are lots of morons out there, and it is actually pretty hard to find a good brewer/employee in the brewing industry.

If you aren't an idiot with a drinking problem, you already have a bit of a leg up.

I appreciate the advice. It is a smaller place that just got a bottling line and is looking for someone to help with everything, from that to cellaring, working events and brewing. They did post it publicly so I'm not sure I have a chance. I'm emphasizing in the cover letter that I do realize all of the cleaning, meticulous sanitation and actual work that goes into it and know it's not about fun and games. Maybe it would be worth it to shoot an e-mail to the smaller breweries around here that might not post things publicly. We have between 10-15 breweries in a 30 mile radius here

Anyone use the app "Untappd?" Pretty neat. Earn badges like achievements, but it is an easy way to keep track of and make notes on beers you have had

Anyone use the app "Untappd?" Pretty neat. Earn badges like achievements, but it is an easy way to keep track of and make notes on beers you have had

I use Untappd, I'm SeattleBeerPenguin. Feel free to add me.

Boulevard's "Harvest Dance" wheat wine.

Wheat wine is a largely-ignored style that deserves more attention. Big Time in Seattle releases Old Sol every year during Summer solstice. Still got one bottle left, ages very well.

Well thanks to this thread I went out and got a La Fin du Monde, they were out of the small ones so I grabbed a 750ml. For a blonde it was pretty strong and not bitter at all. Are all Unibroue's beers this good? Are the Trader Joe's branded ones any good?

Top Bottom