• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT2| Can't stop won't stop the fresh hop

HiResDes

I love them but they're expensive and I can never get my hands on any Cantillon and I think Flanders Red is my absolute favorite sour style.

Osahi

Just had a Oud Gueuze Lambic from Hanssens Artisanaal a couple days ago. Definitely enjoy them but their flavor profile is so strange I think it's interesting they've gained more popularity recently. Musty, funky, and sometimes smells like rubber or wet hay, but it's oddly satisfying to drink in the late afternoon.

It's definitely an acquired taste, but a fresh one on a hazy summer afternoon with some radish and fresh cheese is one of my favourite delights. I'm lucky I'm from Belgium, so most high-end supermarkets at least carry Boon. The local one also has Oud Beersel, which is awesome. My father-in-law actually grew up there and when he visits family he can bring some straight from the brewer (local supermarkets in the Pajottenland, where Geuze originates, carry more kinds too)

I love Drie Fonteinen btw, which is from a small brewery. Also, Oud-Beersel carries a hell of a Oude Kriek.

Found a bottle of this beauty (2010 edition, 750ml) in my storage. They are predicting nice weather this weekend, so I might crack it. Or should I wait (it get's softer and richer in taste with the years. Normall you should be able to keep it for 10 years, but actually, as long as the cork is intact, it shouldn't turn bad).

Any Geuze lovers here?

Love that beer. Don't see it around much anymore though.

I lied about getting out of beer immediately. I needed some this week and got some more Even More Jesus. Then just on a whim I stopped by one local shop to see the new stuff and they got their KBS today, so was able to get two bottles of that with no fuss or drama or anything. Was kinda fun.

Also got a four pack of Bearded Iris Homestyle IPA since it was brand new to our town. Quite liking it.

I lied about getting out of beer immediately. I needed some this week and got some more Even More Jesus. Then just on a whim I stopped by one local shop to see the new stuff and they got their KBS today, so was able to get two bottles of that with no fuss or drama or anything. Was kinda fun.

Also got a four pack of Bearded Iris Homestyle IPA since it was brand new to our town. Quite liking it.

One of us one of us.

I liked the Bearded Iris stuff my parents brought back from Nashville. Chasing Rainbows was really nice.

Guessing the Bearded Iris will be hitting N. KY soon. Might have to check it out when it hits.

My haul today. We got KBS a bit later than everyone else. Hope it lives up to the hype. Really happy my local had more of the Leo v. Ursus in. I would've bought the whole lot but didn't want to hog it.
WfQGWKn.jpg

How much would you say is healthy amount of beer to drink? I usually stick to 1-2 at the most a day. Is 1-2 beer a day really worse then Soda and Coffee everyday?

riotous

Banned
How much would you say is healthy amount of beer to drink? I usually stick to 1-2 at the most a day. Is 1-2 beer a day really worse then Soda and Coffee everyday?

Depends on the beer (and the coffee for that matter.)

Generally more calories than a soda if we are talking decent ABV craft beer; something like a barrel aged Stout can easily be 1500 calories in a bomber (22 ounces.)

Your average ~5% beer will be close to 300 calories.

Ekdrm2d1

Lagunitas The Waldos' Special Ale 2017.
WE0PYeS.jpg

Founders KBS 2017.
cRfvj2t.jpg

Should I be negative? To be honest,
I've had better barrel aged imperial stouts
. On the top of my head I'd prefer Prairie's Pirate Bomb over KBS. Call me silly.

KBS 2017 is a bit sweet? Felt like more of a dessert beer? I need to drink another one to make full reservations. Maybe I'm tripping.

Smelled of cacao beans! Very pleasant smell.

I'll take a Pirate Bomb for lunch. Yum!
Imperial stout aged in rum barrels with coffee, cacao nibs, vanilla beans, and chilies added.

HiResDes

It is a desert beer and that's kind of an off comparison to me anyway. Pirate Bomb uses completely different adjuncts besides the coffee. Also no one claims it is the very best barrel aged Imperial Stout no need to spoiler something that's such a run of the mill opinion.

codhand

Found a bottle of this beauty (2010 edition, 750ml) in my storage. They are predicting nice weather this weekend, so I might crack it. Or should I wait (it get's softer and richer in taste with the years. Normall you should be able to keep it for 10 years, but actually, as long as the cork is intact, it shouldn't turn bad).

Any Geuze lovers here?

i had a gueuze from 1948 that still had legs,
mariage parfait is kinda harsh, it'll hold up like you said but i prefer cuvee rene for readily available and affordable geuze.

Just had a Oud Gueuze Lambic from Hanssens Artisanaal a couple days ago. Definitely enjoy them but their flavor profile is so strange I think it's interesting they've gained more popularity recently. Musty, funky, and sometimes smells like rubber or wet hay, but it's oddly satisfying to drink in the late afternoon.

Hanssens is the shit.

Jarnet87

Pirate Bomb or Noir completely outclasses KBS imo but I think a fairer beer to compare it against would be The regular barrel aged bomb

Ekdrm2d1

I collect those 12oz Prairie stouts
Vanior Noir, Pirate Bomb, Pirate Noir, Apple Brandy Barrel Noir, Barrel Aged Bible Belt, Okie, Bomb!, Christmas Bomb!, Birthday Bomb!, and Bible Belt
Edit: Forgot two bottles! Coffee Noir and Prairie Paradise
Now if I had to pick one barrel aged Prairie? I haven't tried Pirate Paradise, but I'd pick Apple Brandy Barrel Noir. That shit is good.

Not my photo but nice anyway.
I really want a Teku glass.

spootime

I went to a new local brewery called Bond Brothers over the weekend. Apparently they won some USA Today "best new brewery in the country" award. Gotta say its well deserved - great coconut imperial stout and one of the best IPA's I've ever had.

Yup.

I've been told that I need to enjoy my beer rather than just saving it.

Depends on the beer. I had a Stone barleywine (I think it was one of the Vertical Epics) that was aged for a few years and was fantastic, and I don't even normally enjoy barleywines that much.

p.s. are there any good craft breweries in Texas? The only stuff we really get out this way is Shiner, and of course the occasional Lone Star. As an ex-Texan I'm surprised I haven't heard of more considering Texas' long brewing history.

Ekdrm2d1

Depends on the beer. I had a Stone barleywine (I think it was one of the Vertical Epics) that was aged for a few years and was fantastic, and I don't even normally enjoy barleywines that much.

p.s. are there any good craft breweries in Texas? The only stuff we really get out this way is Shiner, and of course the occasional Lone Star. As an ex-Texan I'm surprised I haven't heard of more considering Texas' long brewing history.

Lone Star out of Magnolia, Texas has one of the better IPA offerings in Texas. It's called Yellow Rose. They have great distribution. Houston gets 3-day old Yellow Rose all the time. Saint Arnold based in Houston has an okay barrel aged series called Bishop's Barrel. Smaller brewery in Houston called Brash is great. They don't distribute to the masses so you pretty much have to go to the brewery for their beers.

I'm not fond of the Shiner beers. They could be the most well known Texas breweries out there.

^ Congrats on the two 4-pack haul of KBS!

Ekdrm2d1

Hmm this Prairie Paradise is really pronounced once the beer warms up. I'd get another pour but I shouldn't be driving afterwards. Plus it's $8

Lone Star out of Magnolia, Texas has one of the better IPA offerings in Texas. It's called Yellow Rose. They have great distribution. Houston gets 3-day old Yellow Rose all the time. Saint Arnold based in Houston has an okay barrel aged series called Bishop's Barrel. Smaller brewery in Houston called Brash is great. They don't distribute to the masses so you pretty much have to go to the brewery for their beers.

I'm not fond of the Shiner beers. They could be the most well known Texas breweries out there.

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of Shiner, either. So the Lone Star you're talking about is different than the famous Lone Star? Surprised they haven't gotten into legal trouble.

fake edit: Ah I see, this Lone Pint Brewery must be what you're talking about: http://lonepint.com/the-brews.php

Ekdrm2d1

My haul today. We got KBS a bit later than everyone else. Hope it lives up to the hype. Really happy my local had more of the Leo v. Ursus in. I would've bought the whole lot but didn't want to hog it.
WfQGWKn.jpg

I spy Fremont! Seattle, Earth.

Their barrel aged stuff is really good. Every Thanksgiving I go to Seattle to visit my brother. We always go to the B-Bomb release party at Fremont.

The B-Bombs:
B-Bomb
B-Bomb Candy Cane
B-Bomb Coconut-Vanilla
B-Bomb Roasted Spiced Pumpkin

I heard Holy Mountain is putting out some great stuff as well. They made like a peach guava table beer that I had over Thanksgiving. I'll see if I can find it..

atHViuv.jpg

Tree House Very Green. Must be nice
fer4uYF.jpg

I heard Holy Mountain is putting out some great stuff as well. They made like a peach guava table beer that I had over Thanksgiving. I'll see if I can find it..

Just guava. Guava Table. I've got one left and no one is taking it from me.

Fremont and HM are my locals, I'm at both every week.

Founders Porter is damn good to cook with. Used it in chili months ago and loved the results, and just used it to braise short ribs in last night. Will probably keep a six pack around just to cook with.

Welp, apparently I missed Parabola again at my most local total wine. They did have like 20 4 packs of KBS that were sitting unsold though so there's that.

Cracked open a KBS. Seems like there's been some ambivalence in here about it, but I gotta say it's a pretty damn good BBA stout. The coffee is pretty intense, but it's well balanced. The bourbon is definitely there, but it's not stealing the show. Not much of a nose on this, but pretty tasty, and hides the liquor dangerously well. It's not exactly complex, but it's a solid beer.

Cracked open a KBS. Seems like there's been some ambivalence in here about it, but I gotta say it's a pretty damn good BBA stout. The coffee is pretty intense, but it's well balanced. The bourbon is definitely there, but it's not stealing the show. Not much of a nose on this, but pretty tasty, and hides the liquor dangerously well. It's not exactly complex, but it's a solid beer.

It's a good beer, just not a "waiting in a line to get" beer like it may have been at one time anymore. Luckily you no longer need to do that for it either.

Depends on the beer (and the coffee for that matter.)

Generally more calories than a soda if we are talking decent ABV craft beer; something like a barrel aged Stout can easily be 1500 calories in a bomber (22 ounces.)

Your average ~5% beer will be close to 300 calories.

Where are you getting these numbers from? Because every calculator I've seen says that's wildly incorrect. Beer does generally have more calories than soda, and it scales with ABV, so a high alcohol imperial stout is going to be way more than soda... but 1,500? No. Your bog standard macro-brews are going to be sitting around 150 calories per 12-ounce can (the "Light" ones are typically near 100). Microbrews will typically be about a third again higher, especially for popular styles like IPAs or Stouts. A super-high ABV beer like Dogfish Head 120 Min IPA (18% abv) will run you 450 calories for 12 ounces per this calculator. Sam Adams 17% triple bock will hit you with 340 calories per this calculator. But none of that is sniffing 750 calories for a 12 ounce serving. There's no need to pull out completely nonsensical numbers to make the case that beer generally has more calories than many other beverages and it's healthy to consider how you can plan the rest of your diet and exercise regimen around mitigating those calories without saying that beer has the same caloric density as heavy cream. That's hogwash.

Back to beer. This weekend I was looking through a lot of cocktail recipes looking for interesting ways to use Amaro, and I stumbled on a recipe for an Averna Stout Flip. I had a can of Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break lying around so I figured... why not? Fuck me sideways that was a killer drink. Like an adult milkshake, or I guess beer egg nog.

2 ounces Averna Amaro
1 - 1.5 ounces Stout (the recipe said 1 oz, but I preferred a heavy pour of the Stout)
1 whole egg (yolk and all)

Shake everything without ice to emulsify the egg and degas the beer, add ice and shake again, double strain into a rocks glass (without ice in it). Grate some fresh nutmeg over the top. Amazing stuff. Sounds off-putting when you tell people it has a whole egg, but it doesn't have any eggy flavor to it, it just gives everything a velvety texture. I highly recommend it.

Where are you getting these numbers from? Because every calculator I've seen says that's wildly incorrect. Beer does generally have more calories than soda, and it scales with ABV, so a high alcohol imperial stout is going to be way more than soda... but 1,500? No. Your bog standard macro-brews are going to be sitting around 150 calories per 12-ounce can (the "Light" ones are typically near 100). Microbrews will typically be about a third again higher, especially for popular styles like IPAs or Stouts. A super-high ABV beer like Dogfish Head 120 Min IPA (18% abv) will run you 450 calories for 12 ounces per this calculator. Sam Adams 17% triple bock will hit you with 340 calories per this calculator. But none of that is sniffing 750 calories for a 12 ounce serving. There's no need to pull out completely nonsensical numbers to make the case that beer generally has more calories than many other beverages and it's healthy to consider how you can plan the rest of your diet and exercise regimen around mitigating those calories without saying that beer has the same caloric density as heavy cream. That's hogwash.

Deschutes lists the calories in their beers on their website, I don't think I've seen another brewery do that.

https://www.deschutesbrewery.com/beer/

12 oz bottles:
Black Butte Porter - 192
Obsidian Stout - 220
Mirror Pond Pale - 170
Inversion IPA - 228
Red Chair Pale - 192
Hop Slice Summer Ale - 160
Hopzeit Autumn IPA - 230
Jubelale - 216
Fresh Squeezed - 225
Pinedrops IPA - 190