• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT2| Can't stop won't stop the fresh hop

Was a good day.

ojqH6Ovl.jpg

You mother fucker, you go Pliny...

riotous

Banned
Where are you getting these numbers from?

Read once that stuff like The Bruery Black Tuesday has 500 calories in a 6 oz poor; figured that was the extreme end but that's where I got 1500 for a 22 ounce bomber of high ABV BA.

Same source said 300 calories for your average ~5-6% ABV beer; apologize for misinforming anyone but I'll try to find the source.

Mitch

Banned
Never tell me the calories in Hoof beers. I'd like to remain ignorant so I can enjoy them without feeling too guilty.

andycapps

Columbus, Ohio I believe. And a 'craft beer hotel'.
It's open already, though from what I hear, they're not brewing beer there yet as Brexit screwed up their budget since the money they'd requested was no longer sufficient for the equipment neesee. So they're still bringing their beer over and serving it at the brew house.

It's strange how sometimes the first time I have a beer I think it's amazing, and then later I have it again and...not so much. I had a Firestone Leo v. Ursus again last night and, while good, wasn't an eye-opening experience like the first time I had it.

Ron Mexico

It's strange how sometimes the first time I have a beer I think it's amazing, and then later I have it again and...not so much. I had a Firestone Leo v. Ursus again last night and, while good, wasn't an eye-opening experience like the first time I had it.

Untappd has reminded me of that more than a few times. I'll check in something then have it again ages later and wonder what was I thinking.

Have a handful of friends that only check in and don't rate any of theirs. Might be worth doing the same? I don't know.

Untappd has reminded me of that more than a few times. I'll check in something then have it again ages later and wonder what was I thinking.

Have a handful of friends that only check in and don't rate any of theirs. Might be worth doing the same? I don't know.

I give beers a score but don't give it much thought. It's just for fun more than anything.

riotous

Banned
I've had it happen both ways; had a beer that I liked much better on second try or better on first.... and then of course beers I love every time.

Ron Mexico

I give beers a score but don't give it much thought. It's just for fun more than anything.

Oh it's definitely for fun of course and I haven't found myself actively looking back, but when old me rates something a 4.5 while the current me pours it down the drain? One of me is wrong.

The scoring has led to a couple conversations with....overzealous...brewers.

Oh it's definitely for fun of course and I haven't found myself actively looking back, but when old me rates something a 4.5 while the current me pours it down the drain? One of me is wrong.

The scoring has led to a couple conversations with....overzealous...brewers.

I've had beers where it was 4.5 worthy at one point but not another.

A good example is Hair of the Dog's Blue Dot DIPA. That beer used to be amazing and is one of the grandaddies of the "hazy juice" IPA style, but it's been absolutely terrible the last couple years on draft and in bottle. I still stand by my old rating, but now it's just a mess.

riotous

Banned
Was pretty disappointed in The Abyss and variants this year; as well as every Boulevard BA beer I've tried since they changed their labels.

Calderc

It's open already, though from what I hear, they're not brewing beer there yet as Brexit screwed up their budget since the money they'd requested was no longer sufficient for the equipment neesee. So they're still bringing their beer over and serving it at the brew house.

Sounds like Brewdog alright.

Lagunitas opened up a taproom in Seattle back in February, but they're just shipping up kegs from California for now. They're hoping to have a brew set up in May. We'll see.

There's a liquor store here with a sizable beer selection that will run sales to purge old stock, but the prices are never really that great to begin with. I got a kick out of them trying to dump stock of "Best By 10.31.16" in January. It's like, come on, man, the shit has an expiration date as part of its name, and you only want to knock off 65 cents? Who exactly are you marketing this for? Because beer geeks aren't going to drink old stock of a "Best By" release, and non-beer-geeks aren't dropping $8+ on a bomber of beer. I can't imagine they sold a single bottle of it during that "sale."

Calderc

Also heard the food was overpriced for the quality you get. But it's new so that stuff can change. And eventually they'll be brewing there, but I think the beer won't be ready for a few months.

It's been a laugh watching their world takeover mission unfold. Decent beer, shit business practises but I doff my cap at what've done in 10 years.

Finished a big project, so I rewarded myself with the Older Viscosity (Port Brewing) I'd been saving. They take their normal Old Viscosity stout and age it for 6+ months in bourbon barrels. For some reason they call it an ale, but it's definitely in the American Stout style.

What a fucking great beer it is. It's always expensive, but consistently great. Heavy bourbon, vanilla, and brown sugar with a deep foundation of chocolate and cocoa. Silky smooth. Hardly much of a nose, but who needs a nose with this much flavor.

Ultryx

I agree. And it's a mind blowing experience have to a beer that is one of my go-to choices on tap, instead of bottled. It's like an entirely different experience and generally more positive.

Since I have yet to find fucking Pliny anywhere in PA, my favorite double IPA is still probably Firestone Walker's Double Jack. So damn good.

Still no sign of Firestone's Parabola here in Oregon. Local shops are saying by the end of the month, so I'll just have to wait.

OTOH, despite KBS not being available anywhere around here, a local bar is having a KBS Release Party tonight, with KBS on tap, as well as Frootwood, Lizard of Koz, All Day IPA, and PC Pils. Any of those worth trying, or should I stick with just KBS?

Ron Mexico

Since I have yet to find fucking Pliny anywhere in PA, my favorite double IPA is still probably Firestone Walker's Double Jack. So damn good.

I've had it a few places in Philly over the years. I know Monk's has had it quite a bit. Think I also remember it being at the Iron Abbey in Horsham and one of the places in Newtown-- I think it was either The Green Parrot or Isaac Newton's.

That being said, while it's a perfectly fine beer, it's not something I'd go crazy hunting down.

Still no sign of Firestone's Parabola here in Oregon. Local shops are saying by the end of the month, so I'll just have to wait.

OTOH, despite KBS not being available anywhere around here, a local bar is having a KBS Release Party tonight, with KBS on tap, as well as Frootwood, Lizard of Koz, All Day IPA, and PC Pils. Any of those worth trying, or should I stick with just KBS?

I enjoyed Lizard of Koz on draft quite a bit. Frootwood was entirely too sweet for me (and I don't mind Southern Tier if that works as a reference point). All Day and the Pils are just solid like so many other of thier offerings.

I've had it a few places in Philly over the years. I know Monk's has had it quite a bit. Think I also remember it being at the Iron Abbey in Horsham and one of the places in Newtown-- I think it was either The Green Parrot or Isaac Newton's.

That being said, while it's a perfectly fine beer, it's not something I'd go crazy hunting down.

I enjoyed Lizard of Koz on draft quite a bit. Frootwood was entirely too sweet for me (and I don't mind Southern Tier if that works as a reference point). All Day and the Pils are just solid like so many other of thier offerings.

It's something I've wanted to try for the past few years. I know Monks has it right now but I'm not as close to Philly as I used to be. I do know Iron Abbey in Horsham (been there a few times) and I have a friend that is near there as well, so I may check it out soon. Been to Newtown a bunch, but never drank there. I'm currently in Lancaster, but I lived in the Doylestown/Pipersville/Plumstead area most of my life.

It's something I've wanted to try for the past few years. I know Monks has it right now but I'm not as close to Philly as I used to be. I do know Iron Abbey in Horsham (been there a few times) and I have a friend that is near there as well, so I may check it out soon. Been to Newtown a bunch, but never drank there. I'm currently in Lancaster, but I lived in the Doylestown/Pipersville/Plumstead area most of my life.

Pliny the Elder is good stuff, but I wouldn't go nuts hunting it down. Maybe plan a trip to the West Coast sometime, where you can almost certainly find it in various spots.

Pliny the Younger, OTOH, is worth a Holy Grail-like devotion to locating and enjoying.

Sounds about what I expected. Will probably try Frootwood and Lizard of Koz, as well, because they're not something that get over here too often/at all.

Jarnet87

I read Founders are down by Doom (barrel aged imperial IPA) next, and they are also doing one called DKML in July that is a barrel aged imperial malt liquor.

I tried a can of Even More Jesus the other night. I like the FL avors of Imperial Biscotti Break more, but the mouthfeel and lack of alcohol taste on Jesus was better.

riotous

Banned
I read Founders are down by Doom (barrel aged imperial IPA) next, and they are also doing one called DKML in July that is a barrel aged imperial malt liquor.

I tried a can of Even More Jesus the other night. I like the FL avors of Imperial Biscotti Break more, but the mouthfeel and lack of alcohol taste on Jesus was better.

Yeah saw the Doom and DKML stuff; I check this blog everyday and my wallet hates me for it : http://mybeerbuzz.blogspot.com/

H3xum

Since this thread has been a KBS thread recently

Local spot 1 minute from my work added KBS to their taplist. 10 bucks for an 8z pour

Even though I scored a number of them already, I feel like I should have one on tap

riotous

Banned
Yeah I read they had Black Raven Le Mourt Bourbon for their first BA; that's a great beer.

I've had KBS 3 times now on tap at random places; the first place I went was doing like 12 oz pours for $8 or something ridiculous, was a generous pour lol. Special Brews up in Lynwoood; actually a nice little shop. It's been on Beer Junction's tap list since Monday and is still there; guess it's not terribly popular here.

Had a great time at last night's Founders event. First time having KBS, Frootwood, and Koz, all of which are really good, but not something I'd stand in line or drive all around town for. The hype, especially for KBS, seems a bit much.

Had a great time at last night's Founders event. First time having KBS, Frootwood, and Koz, all of which are really good, but not something I'd stand in line or drive all around town for. The hype, especially for KBS, seems a bit much.

The mix of Metric and Imperial units on there is idiotic.

Ron Mexico

So there's a place nearby doing growler fills of KBS....which require you to also purchase a growler of Curmudgeon. And a waiting list maintained through a Facebook post.

It might be everything I hate about over-hyped beer releases all in one neat little package!

Bacon

So there's a place nearby doing growler fills of KBS....which require you to also purchase a growler of Curmudgeon. And a waiting list maintained through a Facebook post.

It might be everything I hate about over-hyped beer releases all in one neat little package!

Lol that is so ridiculous

Agreed, no idea why they wouldn't just say 8.5 oz. instead of 25 cl. Or say 12 cl instead of 4 oz.

People are dumb.

Probably the specific glassware they have. There's a German pub near us that has traditional 16 ounce pint glasses, but also one liter steins. It's just the glassware that's available. Using 25 cl is stupid in America though because nobody here has any idea what a centiliter is. I saw 25 cl and I thought, WOW, that must be like... 24 ounces? And then I had to go to Google for a conversion chart and realize, oh, it's basically nothing. I mean, it makes sense; a quarter of a liter really isn't much liquid. But unless you're also portioning out wine by the gill, whiskey by the scruple and food by the pennyweight, stick to units that your customers are familiar with.

Top Bottom