• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT2| Can't stop won't stop the fresh hop

Probably the specific glassware they have. There's a German pub near us that has traditional 16 ounce pint glasses, but also one liter steins. It's just the glassware that's available. Using 25 cl is stupid in America though because nobody here has any idea what a centiliter is. I saw 25 cl and I thought, WOW, that must be like... 24 ounces? And then I had to go to Google for a conversion chart and realize, oh, it's basically nothing. I mean, it makes sense; a quarter of a liter really isn't much liquid. But unless you're also portioning out wine by the gill, whiskey by the scruple and food by the pennyweight, stick to units that your customers are familiar with.

Heh. I had to Google what a cl was, too.

So there's a place nearby doing growler fills of KBS....which require you to also purchase a growler of Curmudgeon. And a waiting list maintained through a Facebook post.

It might be everything I hate about over-hyped beer releases all in one neat little package!

That's ridiculous. After trying KBS I don't get what all the fuss is about. It's a solid beer, but nothing to wait in line for.

HiResDes

So there's a place nearby doing growler fills of KBS....which require you to also purchase a growler of Curmudgeon. And a waiting list maintained through a Facebook post.

It might be everything I hate about over-hyped beer releases all in one neat little package!
Curmudgeon is better than KBS in some ways though, underrated brew

Curmudgeon is better than KBS in some ways though, underrated brew

I might have to agree with this. I haven't had Curmudgeon in a while, but it was really solid and seems to fly under the radar for most people.

KBS is still solid as hell, but these last two years have been a disappointment compared to what came before.

Was super hoppy, no oak or malt like I expected. Zero maple.

I honestly wonder if I was poured the wrong beer lol.

Yeah, no way that was the right pour. Hoppy is the last way I would describe that beer. Were they pouring that from draft or bottles? Just wondering how that might have been messed up.

Ekdrm2d1

Just some random beer talk..

Love my Crux beers. Really need a vert of all these. Working my way there.
Crux Fermentation Project, Bend, OR
CsWq6mH.jpg

ZENj81e.jpg

Ekdrm2d1

Goose Island 2015 rare, de Garde Biere Peche, Firestone XIX

It's like.. I don't know what any of these beers taste like.

Agv3Uq3.jpg

Ekdrm2d1

At the grocery store (Central Market). Just got some whiskey barrel aged stout on draft to go with a falafel sandwich. They sure do hook you up! They're supposed to pour 10 ounces for $6 but they always overfil to 16 ounces.

16 ounces is a lot of barrel aged beer! Whoops

riotous

Banned
I always question a bar with that many taps. How often do you think they clean those lines? Not often enough.

Pretty sure the guys at this place are legit (Chuck's) as well as a couple of the other 50+ tap places around. IIRC I've seen them shut down for line cleaning.

Draft, they have 50 taps all numbered with no branded handles.

Yep, they served you the wrong beer. Had a similar issue at HopCat in Louisville. Their handles are all brewery handles but our server sucked and wanted to blame everyone but herself. Ordered a JW Lees Harvest Ale Sherry Cask and she brought over something black in a snifter (it was a black IPA from a local brewery). She knew from the look on my face she fucked that one up. Next ordered a Brandy Barrel-aged Ten Fidy and she said "Oh you want the barrel-aged Ten Fidy" (they had regular bourbon-barrel on tap too), knew I was getting the wrong one as soon as she said that even though I specifically pointed to it on the menu and said "BRANDY". Brought the wrong beer (these were $10 pours). Took a sip and she was like "Oh, the bartender must have poured the wrong beer...". Not sure how she had a job there because she was terrible (and was costing them money).

riotous

Banned
Yeah just got Curmudgeon again; either my pallets was wrecked or I was served the wrong beer as this tastes more complex than last night and is a bit darker amber.

Oh well, wish I could edit my untappd check-in but I have a feeling Founders will survive my wrath.

Ekdrm2d1

Biere Peche is flat, FYI.

Owner/brewmaster is a very close family friend. Enjoy!

Oh really? Brother sent it to me in a "care package". It was his self turd and had to get rid of it to make more cellar space. That explains why he sent it to me.

That's awesome. Talk about enjoying Crux beers frequently. I bring some back to TX from my Seattle trips.

Random pic from today's lunch. It wasn't the best BBA stout. It was the Karbach's F.U.N. Series # 15 Good Golly Miss Molly

emjQPvV.jpg

Ekdrm2d1

Have to do my meal prep tonight instead of tomorrow. Always gotta sip on something while chopping the veggies.

Barrel Aged Bible Belt with a splattered Italian cheese cake slice. Never had an Italian cheese cake before! Heard it's made with Ricotta cheese rather than cream cheese.
I dropped the cake on the floor and it went splat :/

22dynwy.jpg

Edit: These Prairie stouts though. Love them!

Ekdrm2d1

So wasted right now. Surprised I can even write this sentence. Thank God for BlackBerry and a physical keyboard. Much love to you guys. Hopefully I can finish my school work.

Enjoy yourself!!

I'm drinking Lagunitas The Waldos' Special Ale. Like a 11.2% Double IPA. Yum! LOL

Re: KBS
Think I'd trade 10 KBS bottles for 5 Prairie bottles. Popped open a 2017 KBS last night. My opinion didn't change. KBS isn't the type of barrel aged stout I like. I prefer other breweries instead. Maybe "other breweries" focus more on stouts though.
btw, I don't trade/sell beer. I was just using "trade" as a value focus point.

Not my photo

vanilla-noir.jpg

Ekdrm2d1

My lady friend doesn't like the taste of beer. My brother sent me a birthday present and included some Tree House. Here's the photo of the night. Cliffs: I drank her beer

JJJuliusss
ZOAC4DQ.jpg

Oct. 10, 2009 was a good day. Hanging out w/ a brewer and portfolio analyst on a random Saturday.

4003527998_b037c7d2e0_b.jpg

This was a month later during my birthday week.
4107978482_7feaa07ddc_b.jpg

I think we can all play this game.

How long will NE-style IPAs remain the hot trend? Gose was hot for about 2 years (still is trendy I guess) and black IPAs (quite the misnomer) before that. Sour IPAs taking over next?

How long will NE-style IPAs remain the hot trend? Gose was hot for about 2 years (still is trendy I guess) and black IPAs (quite the misnomer) before that. Sour IPAs taking over next?

Who knows. I don't think you'll see them fall into obscurity like CDAs have, though.

Barleywine is life is next. Search your feelings you know it to be true. ;-)

Who knows. I don't think you'll see them fall into obscurity like CDAs have, though.

Barleywine is life is next. Search your feelings you know it to be true. ;-)

I've always enjoyed a good barleywine but I think they're too big to become trendy and too expensive. I prefer the English style and not the hoppy American versions too. Not something the average dude-bro is willing to line up around the block for either. Not enough breweries do (good) barleywines. Anchor Old Foghorn is under-appreciated.

I've always enjoyed a good barleywine but I think they're too big to become trendy and too expensive. I prefer the English style and not the hoppy American versions too. Not something the average dude-bro is willing to line up around the block for either. Not enough breweries do (good) barleywines. Anchor Old Foghorn is under-appreciated.

I was partially joking, DontDrinkBeer has been doing the barleywine is life shtick for a while now.

Dude bros are starting to go nuts for barleywines out here. The lines for Holy Mountain's Hand of Glory was pretty nuts and the thirst for Fremont's Brew 1000 is real. Damn good beer, no way I'm giving away my last bottle for anything.

And, keep throwing diabeetus adjuncts into barrel aged shit and the hype flock will follow. Sadly.

I never had a black IPA I liked. A lot of collective bad decisions there.

I could see wild ales becoming the next thing.

Top Bottom