• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Affleck Is The New Batman

Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

Well for one thing I'm glad they didn't cop out with Bale or continue the trilogy with JGL. Fresh story and take on an origin has me pumped.

Sober

He is now the only actor to have played both Superman and Batman. (and Daredevil too, but whatever no one cares about Daredevil)

Great_Debate_Should_Ben_Affleck_Direct_The_Justice_League_Movie_1344523407.jpg
When was this?

Also lately Affleck has been pretty good so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. The Town was pretty fantastic.

When I see Affleck yelling in a super intense serious scene it's hard for me to take him serious because I know he's the type of guy that goes on Jimmy Kimmel and does goofy skits. It's hard to take the guy serious is what I'm trying to say. He's too fucking nice.
That's because you're used to Nolan's super-serious Batman films. This movie doesn't have to follow the same footsteps.

I dont have any issues with Ben Affleck as an actor
But I prefer to have less established actors for roles in superheros.
That's why Christian Bale was perfect for me.

This, too. It makes the performance more convincing because he's not a megastar that's plastered all over the tabloids. I'll mention Benedict Cumberbatch as
Khan
again and Tom Hardy as Bane.

Cystm

Risky move by Warner Bros. This has to now overcome the lingering sink left by Daredevil.

Ben Afleck was doing so well for himself recently too.

What an odd choice for the character.

geomon

Well....wow...ok. Huh.

Well Nolan always said he wanted no part of his Batman movies to be involved in a shared DC universe and what better way to do that than cast Ben Affleck as The Dark Knight....fuck!

FStop7

Banned
I think he could pull it off with a good script and if he was directing. But with Snyder directing I smell a trainwreck.

sappyday

In the end I shouldn't overreact since this is still a Snyder film. Man of Steel was average as hell.

I think it just bothers me since we just had an amazing closure to one of greatest adaptations of Batman fiction. Only to end up having the possibility of it being botched a few years later.

denx

I won't panic. People were also foaming at the mouth when Heath Ledger and Anne Hathaway were casted and they were incredible in their roles.

So yeah, NO NEED TO PANIC.

Also, I guess this confirms that the Superman/Batman movie won't be set in the Batman Nolanverse right?

Talon

I mean, unless they reboot AGAIN for the next Batman series of movies he's going to be doing those too. This movie is supposed to be the stepping stone for Batman to relaunch into a new universe.
We won't be seeing a Batman origin film for quite some time.

JABEE

Batman doesn't have to carry a movie by himself.

Yeah. I never felt Bale's portrayal of Batman was some difficult plateau for actors to reach. Affleck just needs to learn how to snarl at people. I don't remember the Batman character needing that much range. If Man of Steel is anything to go by the same applies.

Snyder and the team that made Man of Steel spearheading this project should be the most worrisome news about this film.

Can you really compare this with Heath? TDK had everything going for it, where Ledger was an amzing actor with an already stellar track-record, while Nolan had a flawless resume with Memento, Insomnia, BB AND The Prestige.

This time however, we've got a decent actor, an incredibly daft director, a screenwriter that's 50/50 great or horrendous and the world's most rushed production schedule.

I hope I'm wrong, but it's not the same as it was with Heath.

I mean, unless they reboot AGAIN for the next Batman series of movies he's going to be doing those too. This movie is supposed to be the stepping stone for Batman to relaunch into a new universe.

Did Bale, Keaton, Kilmer or Clooney "Carry" their respective movies? Closest was Begins and that's because it was an origin story. I doubt we'll see one of those again. Batman movies are as much about who the villians are as they are about who Batman is.

jackb2424

Banned
Hell yeah! Im a huge Afleck fan. His acting skills are leagues away from where he was during Daredevil. I think he would make a perfect Bruce Wayne. This movie is gonna be huge. Ben Afleck has been on a winning streak for a long time and it looks to continue. I like this decision.

eastmen

Banned
When was this?

Also lately Affleck has been pretty good so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. The Town was pretty fantastic.
Its a movie about the original superman actor who was found shot to death.

Here is the thing. Afleck is a really damn good actor and great director . WB getting him involved is a gokd think he is cocky enough to pull off bruce and well nothing van be worse than bakes growling batman. He can then take over directing duty on a few wb comic movies to take over for nolan

That's because Spiderman has shitty villians. Batman's rogue gallery is top notch and whoever they cast as Joker, Penguin, Catwoman, ect...will get as much billing as Affleck. That's the way it's always been.

Catwoman was one of the worst parts about The Dark Knight Rises because these studios do not understand how to cast. And Bane was a somewhat interesting villain that was neutered. Scarecrow and Two Face were ho hum. The Joker was the only villain in the Nolan trilogy that I would say was fantastic. The Batman villains can be just as lame. Plus, this is a WB/Synder combination. Do you honestly expect them do something like the Penguin without it coming across as completely hokey? I have zero confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom