• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Affleck Is The New Batman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
Catwoman was one of the worst parts about The Dark Knight Rises because these studios do not understand how to cast. And Bane was a somewhat interesting villain that was neutered. Scarecrow and Two Face were ho hum. The Joker was the only villain in the Nolan trilogy that I would say was fantastic. The Batman villains can be just as lame. Plus, this is a WB/Synder combination. Do you honestly expect them do something like the Penguin without it coming across as completely hokey? I have zero confidence.
Hokey?

Snyder would grimdark the fuck out of Penguin

Blader

I actually don't mind this news, I think Affleck is a fine actor and has been consistently good (if maybe unremarkable) in his last few performances.

He was just probably the last person I'd expect getting the role.

This took alot of courage for WB and I applaud the company. Affleck was the perfect choice and they made it. Ben will truly go down as one of the best Batman alongside Keaton and Clooney.

Loofy

I think this will be great. Yeah he kind of has a big chubby face but thats fine if theyre sticking with the old grizzled batman idea. With the short horns too.
lDNWuoQ.jpg

I don't know man. When looking at Affleck's catalog it's really hard to imagine him playing a gritty Batman. Though, I'm sure people had the same thoughts about Damon playing what is basically a super spy/assassin in the Bourne movies.

We'll just have to see how it goes I guess.

Buntabox

Ben Affleck is a good choice. He's a solid actor. Turns in good performances as of late. He is perfectly serviceable in both The Town and Argo. I like this choice.

Now lets hope the script and direction come together well.

Catwoman was one of the worst parts about The Dark Knight Rises because these studios do not understand how to cast. And Bane was a somewhat interesting villain that was neutered. Scarecrow and Two Face were ho hum. The Joker was the only villain in the Nolan trilogy that I would say was fantastic. The Batman villains can be just as lame. Plus, this is a WB/Synder combination. Do you honestly expect them do something like the Penguin without it coming across as completely hokey? I have zero confidence.

My point is those villians are known. You can make them major parts of the movie. People know Joker and Penguin and Catwoman. Whoever they cast in those roles will generate a ton of buzz. Much moreso than fucking Electro or Lizard.

Again, which has the actor playing Batman ever had to carry a movie?

When did Batman become this incredibly difficult role to pull off? I like Bale and think he was awesome as Wayne/Batman, but this isn't fucking Michael Corleone/Travis Bickle we are talking about here.

This sucks and I'm pretty upset about this. Ben is one of the most exciting American directors working right now and he's wasting his time on this bullshit. It's a damn shame.

Jarmel

Banned
Affleck isn't even that great of an actor. He's a much better director than actor where he's solid but not exceptional.

I don't know man. When looking at Affleck's catalog it's really hard to imagine him playing a gritty Batman. Though, I'm sure people had the same thoughts about Damon playing what is basically a super spy/assassin in the Bourne movies.

We'll just have to see how it goes I guess.

Batman in this movie doesn't have to be as gritty as Nolan's portrayal. And of course, he doesn't have to be as cheesy as Schumacher's portrayal. If they can find a nice middle ground, it'd be great.

Sojgat

Thinking about it, he can sure as fuck play Bruce Wayne's public persona, and he brooded pretty well in The Town, so he might even be able to pull off a good Batman. I just think he's gonna look stupid in the costume. I don't know... at least it's interesting.

neoism

Heath Ledger was a fantastic actor, however. So that completely misses the point. People thought that Ledger was miscast, but anyone that knows anything about acting could have at least acknowledged that he was a talented actor. Affleck cannot carry a movie. I cannot imagine him having the screen presence to carry a Batman movie by himself.

Yep I love Ledger always had 100% faith in him being the joker and was still BLOWN away... Affleck is a great director but just an ok actor...

Hell yeah! Im a huge Afleck fan. His acting skills are leagues away from where he was during Daredevil. I think he would make a perfect Bruce Wayne. This movie is gonna be huge. Ben Afleck has been on a winning streak for a long time and it looks to continue. I like this decision.

Ben?

WinFonda

I just want an actor that can do the bat voice; an actor that knows how to use his voice. I'm not talking just about inflecting, it's almost like a voice acting role when you play Batman. The number one criticism of Bale as Batman was his voice, and I think it's a legit critique.

Michael Keaton did great with the voice, it wasn't super low or gruffy, but it was sharp and intense. Keaton also played Beetlejuice, and that was another role that was largely defined by the voice. Kilmer had more of a calmer intelligent approach to the voice, I think he had the right idea despite everything else. Clooney had that really low gruffy voice that is almost ideal, but the direction and script obviously gave him no chance.

But please, cast an actor with some presence in his voice, or an actor with some vocal expertise like Keaton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom