• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Affleck Is The New Batman

Status
Not open for further replies.

params7

Banned
Look on the bright side, at least he's tailor made to pull off a classic Bruce Wayne - he has the face and personality. Now whether he can step it up inside the suit remains to be seen but I'm hopeful. Worse comes to worse Cavil carries the movie - either ways it should be a great watch.

Did Bale, Keaton, Kilmer or Clooney "Carry" their respective movies? Closest was Begins and that's because it was an origin story. I doubt we'll see one of those again. Batman movies are as much about who the villians are as they are about who Batman is.
Except for Bale none of those people were good as Batman and except for maybe the 1989 movie, none of those movies before the Nolan trilogy hold up. Yeah, the villains are important too, but the guy playing Batman has to be a good Batman.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Kind of neutral on this choice. It's an obvious studio decision to get a big name in the role but I think Affleck is good. I'll wait and see.

Solo

This sucks and I'm pretty upset about this. Ben is one of the most talented American directors working right now and he's wasting his time on this bullshit. It's a damn shame.

But you do realize the game that is being played here, right? By "wasting his time" on a guaranteed billion dollar plus earner for WB, he's effectively solidifying himself as the studio's new Christopher Nolan. Playing Batman, in addition to his track record with GBG/Town/Argo, basically sets him up as the new golden boy at WB. Like Nolan, he can probably now get any project he wants to do made with little to no studio interference.

People scoffed at Bale, people scoffed at Ledger. I think Affleck can pull it off.

People scoffed at Bale? Weird. I only knew him as "that dude from American Psycho" which made me immediately think "yeah, I see that" when I heard the news.

Though, I also believed in Ledger from the get go. The only thing that makes me hesitate at all about Ben is just imagining him in the costume. We'll see, I'm sure they'll figure it out. Dude can fucking act, so I'm all for this.

I like that it's somebody no one would have expected.

neemmss

Yeah no. How do you choose him over anyone else? I may not have liked Bale and how he played Batman, but Ben Affleck? Seriously?

Except for Bale none of those people were good as Batman and except for maybe the 1989 movie, none of those movies before the Nolan trilogy hold up. Yeah, the villains are important too, but the guy playing Batman has to be a good Batman.

Doesn't matter if they were good or not, the role did not require them to carry the movie. That's the point. As good as Keaton was, Nicholson was the star of Batman '89 and practically got top billing.

Superman is a much tougher role to cast in this regard.

Zabka

Maybe he'll have some input into the editing, which is where Man of Steel got somewhat fucked up. That and the tornado scene. That was fucking ridiculous.

HoJu

6uuflejgcp.gif

But you do realize the game that is being played here, right? By "wasting his time" on a guaranteed billion dollar plus earner for WB, he's effectively solidifying himself as the studio's new Christopher Nolan. Playing Batman, in addition to his track record with GBG/Town/Argo, basically sets him up as the new golden boy at WB. Like Nolan, he can probably now get any project he wants to do made with little to no studio interference.

Man if they ditch Snyder for Affleck we might actually see a halfway decent DC superhero movie or two in our lifetimes.

Dead

well not really...yet
Batman, directed by Ben Affleck, starring Ben Affleck

In theaters Summer 2016 or 2017

Count on it bitches

I'm sooo conflicted.

90's or early 00's i would have said a big FUCK NO. But he's been on a major roll lately. Damn good actor. And i'm actually one of the very very very few people who enjoys DD (mainly the Directors Cut). I would actually be stoked if he directs JL (dude is on a major hot streak).

I just really wanted Bale back. Fuck it. I'm hyped. Please don't suck.

OH MY. I legit have no idea how this'll turn out. He has supreme directing chops, but...

Wasn't he in line to direct Justice League?!

Batman in this movie doesn't have to be as gritty as Nolan's portrayal. And of course, he doesn't have to be as cheesy as Schumacher's portrayal. If they can find a nice middle ground, it'd be great.

I don't really feel like Nolan's actual Batman (or rather Bale's Batman) was all that gritty. The world certainly is though. The description for Snyder's Batman made me think that he was going to be more of an ornery a-hole though. Dark, serious, And borderline hateful. But that was probably just my own perception.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
10 years ago this would have been terrible news. Affleck has redeemed himself quite a bit in the past decade. Yeah, Daredevil sucked. But it would have sucked with any other actor in the role. Jersey Girl, Gigli and Daredevil were a decade ago. The man's output recently (The Town, Gone Baby Gone, Argo) has been fantastic.

Honestly, I have fewer problems with Affleck as Batman than I do with Snyder directing again. Wasn't a huge fan of Man of Steel, and I don't really trust that he can pull off as good Batman. Snyder is in the exact opposite position as Affleck for me. He made something great 10 years ago, and everything since has been shitty.

Raptor

This is weird but I saw Boiler Room last night and I thought "Hey Ben could make a great excentric maniac Bruce Wayne"

Im happy with this casting.

Christian Bale sucked so bad. I remember everyone on the internet begged WB for him and he was so bland in the films, his bruce wayne was forgettable, his batman sounded like cookie monster to the point of being distracting, and to make it worse they wrote him as a dummy who doesn't know the first thing about science or crime fighting.

Doesn't matter if they were good or not, the role did not require them to carry the movie. That's the point. As good as Keaton was, Nicholson was the star of Batman '89 and practically got top billing.

Superman is a much tougher role to cast in this regard.
If you want it to be a good Batman movie, you should cast someone who would be a good Batman. Just because a villain can outshine the hero doesn't mean the hero can be anyone. The reason people like the Nolan trilogy more is because all around in pretty much every aspect they are a better representation of Batman then the old movies. The Batman actor is better, the villain actors are better, the director is better. Regressing back into "Batman isn't whats needed to make a good Batman movie" doesn't make any sense.

I remember how GAF acted when they said the Joker would be Heath Ledger. GAF was wrong. Not a Ben Affleck fan, but I wasn't a Heath Ledger fan, either. So, wait and see, guys.

EYEL1NER

Daredevil

daredevil_affleck.jpg

Superman

affleck.jpg

And now Batman...

Affleck sure loves playing comic book heroes...
Nicolas Cage has to absolutely hate Ben Affleck by now I imagine.

As for the news? I don't know, I literally started laughing when I read the thread title and then started laughing again when the OP loaded up and I saw it wasn't a joke. But I don't really care who stars in the role from here out because I don't really care to see another Batman movie for half a decade or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom