• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Affleck Is The New Batman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sojgat

ijivwBZz9EDfW.gif

Heath Ledger was a fantastic actor, however. So that completely misses the point. People thought that Ledger was miscast, but anyone that knows anything about acting could have at least acknowledged that he was a talented actor. Affleck cannot carry a movie. I cannot imagine him having the screen presence to carry a Batman movie by himself.

Batman doesn't have to carry a movie by himself.

sappyday

Back in 2006 here's a snippet of the initial fan reaction to Heath Ledger cast as Joker.

To be fair, people were giving Heath a lot of shit because he was in Brokeback Mountain and a lot teen bop movies.

We've seen Affleck as a superhero and other diverse roles. In my opinion he's shit in all of them. The exception being roles where he's barely a character such as in Good Will Hunting.

A nice resurrection to Batman cinema with Nolans trilogy is going to be killed just like Batman forever did in the 90s FML

I want to eat crow when this movie is released, PLEASE.

On one hand, I believe this signifies that Affleck will more than likely be the one to direct the next stand alone Batman flick.

I think you're half right in that he may actually take on a WB/DC production at some point. I don't think they're going to be doing standalone Batman pics for a while.

Affleck's such a nice guy and I think that could also be a problem. Bale has an edge to him, he was right for Batman. Affleck is a goofy nice guy. That's a problem.

ezekial45

Banned
Heath Ledger was a fantastic actor, however. So that completely misses the point. People thought that Ledger was miscast, but anyone that knows anything about acting could have at least acknowledged that he was a talented actor. Affleck cannot carry a movie. I cannot imagine him having the screen presence to carry a Batman movie by himself.

I thought he was pretty great in Argo and The Town.

ElRenoRaven

Well back to not giving a shit about Batman movies again. Shame. They were finally starting to recover thanks to the Nolan movies.

Batman doesn't have to carry a movie by himself.

He pretty much does. Particularly if any of the villain casting is off. See the new Spiderman movies for reference. Garfield has not been able to carry those films because the villains have been so shitty. They'd have to do something drastic and cast someone like Daniel Day Lewis as the Riddler for this to remotely work.

Dead

well not really...yet
I think you're half right in that he may actually take on a WB/DC production at some point. I don't think they're going to be doing standalone Batman pics for a while.
Well its either that or Justice League.

But considering Ben's previous films, I think it makes way too much sense for him to be directing Batman.

I wonder what negotiations were like.

"Ill play Batman if you let me direct the next Batman"

or

"Ill direct the next Batman if you let me play Batman"

lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I literally can't think of a worse choice of people who are actually eligible to play Batman.

Omega

Banned
this is a joke right?

The Affleck part doesn't even bother me. Why is Zack Snyder doing it? guy is mediocre at best

- J - D -

He is now the only actor to have played both Superman and Batman. (and Daredevil too, but whatever no one cares about Daredevil)

Great_Debate_Should_Ben_Affleck_Direct_The_Justice_League_Movie_1344523407.jpg

When I see Affleck yelling in a super intense serious scene it's hard for me to take him serious because I know he's the type of guy that goes on Jimmy Kimmel and does goofy skits. It's hard to take the guy serious is what I'm trying to say. He's too fucking nice.

Exhibit A

akira28

So because of Heath Ledger turning in an almost improbable and impossibly good performance as a psychopathic lunatic, people thing that Gigli is going to be a good Batman? You know how many bad Batmans we've had?

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
WAT

oh man and I was so excited when they were mentioning older dudes that it might suggest a Dark Knight Returns based plot

He may be okay, I'm sure Daredevil has already been mentioned a billion times (I didn't even hate that movie like most people), but MAN I would not have chosen him.

Good luck dude!

He pretty much does. Particularly if any of the villain casting is off. See the new Spiderman movies for reference. Garfield has not been able to carry those films because the villains have been so shitty. They'd have to do something drastic and cast someone like Daniel Day Lewis as the Riddler for this to remotely work.

That's because Spiderman has shitty villians. Batman's rogue gallery is top notch and whoever they cast as Joker, Penguin, Catwoman, ect...will get as much billing as Affleck. That's the way it's always been.

I dont have any issues with Ben Affleck as an actor
But I prefer to have less established actors for roles in superheros.
That's why Christian Bale was perfect for me.

Effect

This will actually be three "superheros" he's now played. Daredevil, now Batman, and he played George Reeves/Superman in the film Hollywoodland.

Maddocks

when it batman and superman was announced I was hyped...I'm still hyped. But I think the casting is wrong. Ben has grown as an actor no doubt, the acting ben did in daredevil is long gone. Since he became a director he realized what it takes to give a good acting performance.

So I am still hyped for the movie, but it seems a lot less like the goddamn batman and more relaxed batman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom