• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

I agree with the gist of what True Savior is saying, until we get to the bolded part:
He suppresses everything, and nothing more than his own humanity. So, I don't think he's sacrificing everything for his dream, but is instead running from his own humanity. It isn't the manipulations While he is imprisoned, there's a line - I don't have the volume in front of me so forgive me for the vagueness - where he says that while his dream is fading, Guts is shining as bright as ever. Guts shattered Griffith's carefully constructed persona, and it was in that moment when he saw Guts again that he made the sacrifice. I think that everything else - the manipulations, his current condition, his desire to achieve his dream, etc. are all relevant. But in that moment, he's running from Guts and everything that he represents about Griffith that Griffith can't face.

But i do agree with you Mumei. I think there is a very fine line between him being unable to face the emotional turmoil Guts represent vs that being a huge factor in the unattainability of his dream. Which is why when he reincarnates and encounters Guts in the Hill of Swords he tests himself to see if he still is shaken by him." It seems i am free" he says . Such a beautiful line considering the context

Fjordson

I agree with the gist of what True Savior is saying, until we get to the bolded part:
He suppresses everything, and nothing more than his own humanity. So, I don't think he's sacrificing everything for his dream, but is instead running from his own humanity. It isn't the manipulations While he is imprisoned, there's a line - I don't have the volume in front of me so forgive me for the vagueness - where he says that while his dream is fading, Guts is shining as bright as ever. Guts shattered Griffith's carefully constructed persona, and it was in that moment when he saw Guts again that he made the sacrifice. I think that everything else - the manipulations, his current condition, his desire to achieve his dream, etc. are all relevant. But in that moment, he's running from Guts and everything that he represents about Griffith that Griffith can't face.

There are various ways you can explain his decision. First and foremost , the world in Berserk is bound by the laws of causality. Griffith lived a conditioned life to make that decision. In the occulation he was even manipulated (he hallucinates with Guts , Ubik shows him a false past , etc). Why he made that decision ? Well , Griffith more or less lives in his own reality. He suppresses everything around him in order to achieve his dream. After being rescued he is as far way as possible from his objective . From the beautiful , almighty conqueror he is now a disfigured blob of absolute nothing. He is past the point of being fragile. Seeing the one man who made him rethink his dream (Guts) with Casca led him to try to escape that miserable existence and condition. And at his lowest point they give him in a platter his dream. He sees Guts one last time before saying Yes knowing that man was the only thing that broke his reality. He ends up sacrificing everything for a dream he started to see as inaccessible.
So I'm wondering what he thought of Guts when he came back to help rescue him. Was he happy to see him again? Did he respect him more since Guts struck out on his own and had gotten even stronger? Or did he hate Guts for leaving in the first place and causing him to lose sight of his dream? I guess given the sacrifice the answer would be the latter.

And what about raping Casca? Was that just to get at Guts? Or was he upset that Casca wasn't completely devoted to him? That was pretty damn evil.

I'm sure some of these questions I have will be answered as I read further into the series. My mind is just racing with all the implications of what's happened in the last few volumes lol. Guess that's a sign of how great it is!

So I'm wondering what he thought of Guts when he came back to help rescue him. Was he happy to see him again? Did he respect him more since Guts struck out on his own and had gotten even stronger? Or did he hate Guts for leaving in the first place and causing him to lose sight of his dream? I guess given the sacrifice the answer would be the latter.

And what about raping Casca? Was that just to get at Guts? Or was he upset that Casca wasn't completely devoted to him? That was pretty damn evil.

He tries to choke him in the torture chamber.

Femto is acting malicious towards Guts. Pure spite.

Dahbomb

Griffith tried to choke Guts??

What the hell. I must be reading these things too fast.
He not only did that but he tried to have sex with Caska when they were in the wagon and Caska was tending to his wounds.

Dude had a lot of sexual frustration pent up for that time in additional to a lot of hate against Gutts.

Fjordson

He not only did that but he tried to have sex with Caska when they were in the wagon and Caska was tending to his wounds.

Dude had a lot of sexual frustration pent up for that time in additional to a lot of hate against Gutts.
Yeah, that's true. I do remember that.

Siegcram

Did he? I thought he was just grabbing at him, but it's unclear why.
He is unable to choke him because the tendons in his hands got removed. I think Guts even misinterprets it as an attempted hug. But that and his interactions with Casca are quite clearly malicious. He's just unable to act them out due to his physical state.

Fjordson

Yeah, this is all making a bit more sense now.

I think when the story really gets going I have a bad habit sometimes of rushing through panels. I totally missed the thing True Savior mentioned. Goddamn!

Did he? I thought he was just grabbing at him, but it's unclear why.

Griffith tried to choke Guts??

What the hell. I must be reading these things too fast.

Check page 141 and 142 of Volume 10.

Notice the panels

Closed eye-Extreme closeup of a very open eye (with Guts reflection) - Tries to open his mouth-Look how Miura empathiszes his expression - hand in the neck - -Guts has a surprised face - Judeau reaction (!) - Scene keeps going and Griffith closes his eyes again.

I know i could be biased because in the anime is clearer (which could mean nothing). But i dont see another interpretation for the visual rhythm of the scene. Especially how Judeau seems to have a different reaction than Guts.

Siegcram

Yeah, this is all making a bit more sense now.

I think when the story really gets going I have a bad habit sometimes of rushing through panels. I totally missed the thing True Savior mentioned. Goddamn!
Don't worry you'll have enough time to re-read it. Repeatedly.

Fjordson

Notice the panels

Closed eye-Extreme closeup of a very open eye (with Guts reflection) - Tries to open his mouth-Look how Miura empathiszes his expression - hand in the neck - -Guts has a surprised face - Judeau reaction (!) - Scene keeps going and Griffith closes his eyes again.

I know i could be biased because in the anime is clearer (which could mean nothing). But i dont see another interpretation for the visual rhythm of the scene. Especially how Judeau seems to have a different reaction than Guts.
I think I agree. Just a result of me reading too fast. Really interesting stuff.

Erigu

I know i could be biased because in the anime is clearer (which could mean nothing). But i dont see another interpretation for the visual rhythm of the scene.
For the record, I hadn't seen the TV series when I read that, and I understood the same thing.

I really loved "The Guardians of Desire" chapters.
However, I'm glad I watched the anime before because not seeing them until the eclipse made their shocking appearance all the more effective.

Regardless, I really enjoyed that story with the count.

It's a light novel series. There are mangas but those aren't the original stories.

I found that out after I ordered 4 books and learned what a light novel was. no, i didn't do too much research. welp...

but I also got a copy of Dororo, whose main character has basically the same situation as Guts--followed by demons, always telling people to not follow him because of that. Cartoony Tezuka style, but serious as a heart attack story. Love it so far.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF

Notice the panels

I just checked the manga again yesterday, and I think you're right. The panels put way too much effort into showing this for there to not be some sort of hinting going on there.

Another thing I noticed is that
Griffith only grabs Guts' hand after Guts hugs him. As if he just realized that Guts misunderstood his original intention, realizes that Guts is here to save him (and not maybe finish him off or something) and decided to play along.

Fjordson

Haven't been able to read further the last two days, but the events of volumes 12 and 13 have been on my mind constantly lmao. Like I keep going over what happened and trying to parse through character's decisions and examining what it all means. Can't remember the last time I was this invested in a comic/manga.

I just finished the anime... Fuck. :/

I started the series a few days ago. Read the first couple chapters of the manga but then decided to watch the anime since it covers the golden age arc. Now I think I'll read the
Eclipse
chapters of the manga before continuing onward from there.

And again.. what the fuck.

Necrovex

I just finished the anime... Fuck. :/

I started the series a few days ago. Read the first couple chapters of the manga but then decided to watch the anime since it covers the golden age arc. Now I think I'll read the
Eclipse
chapters of the manga before continuing onward from there.

And again.. what the fuck.

The anime ignores a certain key player for that arc. I recommend reading the manga in its entirety. Otherwise, you're doing yourself a major disservice.

Nibel

The anime ignores a certain key player for that arc. I recommend reading the manga in its entirety. Otherwise, you're doing yourself a major disservice.

Yup, no idea why they leave that person out all the time. I mean, sure, I can think of a couple of reasons, but some of the scenes with that person are pretty elemental.

Are we talking about the
Skull Knight?
Found a list with the differences between the anime and the manga and he was at the top of it so I went through and read the chapters he appears in. Also some of the other things that were omitted but matter.

Necrovex

Are we talking about the
Skull Knight?
Found a list with the differences between the anime and the manga and he was at the top of it so I went through and read the chapters he appears in. Also some of the other things that were omitted but matter.

He's the top one. There are a lot of other great scenes omitted in the anime adaption. Even without that character omission, I would still recommend reading the manga.

All this talk reminded me of this website which provides a depth analysis of the Griffith as a character.

http://twilightvisions.com/griffith.htm

Whoa, what a great read! I had to skip some bits due to spoilers - but what I did read was really interesting. The characters are unbelievably rich!

In other news, I spent all afternoon downloading and cropping wallpapers for my iPhone from here. I'm so obsessed with Berserk at the moment.

Nibel

Are we talking about the
Skull Knight?

For example, yeah. There is some more stuff; you should really read the manga, the already good art gets godlike later on and the story after the events of the anime is way better; you must understand that all you've watched until now is basically a prelude.

Simmins

Thanks to this thread and people constantly talking about how awesome Berserk is I started getting into it.

I Started by watching the 97 Anime, and was blown away! Picked up the manga right away and am now up to volume 18, and it is seriously hard to put down, I find myself reading it every spare minute I get. I am dreading finishing it because then I have to wait for the next one like everyone else. Also I read the Golden Age Chapters rather than Skipping them
Mostly because I wanted to know what happened to Rickert because the anime really makes it look like he just dies.
], and im glad I didnt.

WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF! I just got spoiled by accident in regards to what that blob thing is that appears in the cell from chapter 1. I...I...wow...

Are you freaking kidding me?! I don't know what's blowing me away more - what it is or the fact that the story has been planned so far ahead.

Azuran

Banned
WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF! I just got spoiled by accident in regards to what that blob thing is that appears in the cell from chapter 1. I...I...wow...

Are you freaking kidding me?! I don't know what's blowing me away more - what it is or the fact that the story has been planned so far ahead.

I had completely forgotten that it appears in the very first chapter. Welp, I guess it's time to reread the series all over again.

I had totally forgotten about that part until I started re-reading the series. I was definitely impressed by how that detail of the story had already been planned out so far in advance.

(FWIW, I think it'll end up being one of the most important story points once we get closer to the "ending", should that ever happen.)

Erigu

Y'all got a source for this?
It's been a while, but I believe I read that in the Summer 2002 issue of Comickers.

EDIT:
That would be the one:

MLOFhgC.jpg

FINALLY!

Qeuv8rul.jpg

They finally came! Volume 24 and 34 came in a few days ago, but everything else in the photo all came in today from InStockTrades! I can finally continue reading from volume 1. I'm so damn excited! The InStockTrades haul took just under a month to reach me here in Australia. They packaged everything extremely well and it all came in perfect condition. All the other volumes of Berserk should arrive in about 3 weeks.

I mentioned this before in this thread, but would you guys like me to review each volume as I read through them? They'd only be short dot-point reviews of my general thoughts - but it could be pretty fun. So, let me know if anyone would be interested in reading them....no point in doing it if no one will even read them.

Moaradin

Had no idea the movies had this cameo lol

FINALLY!

http://i.imgur.com/Qeuv8rul.jpg

They finally came! Volume 24 and 34 came in a few days ago, but everything else in the photo all came in today from InStockTrades! I can finally continue reading from volume 1. I'm so damn excited! The InStockTrades haul took just under a month to reach me here in Australia. They packaged everything extremely well and it all came in perfect condition. All the other volumes of Berserk should arrive in about 3 weeks.

I mentioned this before in this thread, but would you guys like me to review each volume as I read through them? They'd only be short dot-point reviews of my general thoughts - but it could be pretty fun. So, let me know if anyone would be interested in reading them....no point in doing it if no one will even read them.

For sure. I love reading fresh impressions.

Mumei

FINALLY!

Qeuv8rul.jpg

Congratulations!

And I am interested.

Dahbomb

Wait what blob thing?

Wow, I discover Berserk like a month ago, start reading it like my life depends on it (I'm on chapter 321 right now), and then this thread shows up first page. Coincidence? I THINK NOT.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Finished it a couple of days ago.

SO FUCKING GOOD

Griffith is one of my favorite characters in any media. Man, I can't get enough Berserk right now. I almost wish I could forget it all and re-read it again.

Yonafunu

FINALLY!

Qeuv8rul.jpg

Please do! I'd love to hear some Vagabond impressions too, but I guess this isn't really the thread for that.

I just got my collection up to volume twelve, but I'm still on volume five. I have also seen all three movies, and they were just okay. The dub was better than the anime, though.

I still think Griffith had romantic feelings towards Guts. Nothing I have read or seen has proven to me otherwise. I still agree with those other theories out there, because he is a complicated character.

I just got my collection up to volume twelve, but I'm still on volume five. I have also seen all three movies, and they were just okay. The dub was better than the anime, though.

I still think Griffith had romantic feelings towards Guts. Nothing I have read or seen has proven to me otherwise. I still agree with those other theories out there, because he is a complicated character.

That actually wouldn't be too far-fetched since Griffith always seemed sort of fluid with his sexuality. Guts on the other hand is only interested in introducing Griffith to the business end of his sword, and not the one he would like if your theory were true. XD

Also, Farnese would have a fit if yet another person joined the harem, haha.

That actually wouldn't be too far-fetched since Griffith always seemed sort of fluid with his sexuality. Guts on the other hand is only interested in introducing Griffith to the business end of his sword, and not the one he would like if your theory were true. XD

Also, Farnese would have a fit if yet another person joined the harem, haha.

What do you mean by fluid ?

He "prostitutes" himself in favor of his army. It seems he feels repulsed after it.
Please do! I'd love to hear some Vagabond impressions too, but I guess this isn't really the thread for that.

No need to. Just read it. It's worth it. Trust a fellow berserk fan.

Top Bottom