• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

Wow...seeing a ton of praise for Vagabond. Looks like I made a good choice to pick it up. Looking forward to getting stuck into it soon!

If you do a search for "Berserk" and you don't see a volume listed, try e-mailing them to ask if the item is in stock. Sometimes they have it back, but the website hasn't been updated for whatever reason.

Ah okay! Well it does come up when I search for it, so I assume they would have it in stock. I'll shoot them an email just to make sure.

They sent me an email with tracking information, and about five days later my books arrived. Of course, being in a different country your delivery time may be different.

Those folks at instock trades really know how to pack a box well. My books were so snug and secure during transit.

Hopefully my package isn't far off now. I looked up an unboxing video from InStockTrades on YouTube, and yeah, they pack stuff well.

Houndi101

Has this community ever played around with the idea of new Berserk game?
Which arc would you like it to take place in or would you want a original filler story?
What kind of gameplay?
Done by which company etc?

Frog-fu

Banned
Has this community ever played around with the idea of new Berserk game?
Which arc would you like it to take place in or would you want a original filler story?
What kind of gameplay?
Done by which company etc?

CD Projekt Red

Don't care about the details in terms of story so long as it's made by them because it would be a huge, epic experience with beautiful graphics.

From Software would be a great pick too although moreso for the combat and art direction than anything else.

Houndi101

CD Projekt Red

Don't care about the details in terms of story so long as it's made by them because it would be a huge, epic experience with beautiful graphics.

From Software would be a great pick too although moreso for the combat and art direction than anything else.

throw some Platinium Games in there and baby you got a stew going

Frog-fu

Banned
throw some Platinium Games in there and baby you got a stew going

PG are fantastic but I don't think think they'd be a good fit. I think they would be too tempted to unnecessarily inject their own quirkiness into the game. I'd much rather they work on a One Piece game.

Read the synopsis for Wolfsmund, so something like medieval Hostel?

Wolfsmund is gorgeous. Terrific art, intense storyline, unflinching outcomes. Would recommend 10/10. Please try it.

OT, I just caught up with Berserk! \o/

That Rickert's slap was soooooooooooooooooo delicious and loooooooooooong overdue.

Sure but post-armor Guts is pretty much Platinium Games style fighter
Now that we're on this subject I'd have to say that he feels more like a Ninja Gaiden character. Tecmo really mastered the art of tactile feel with bladed weapons with that franchise and the feeling of using the dragonslayer in one of their classic styled games would be... I think I'm gonna need a minute.
CD Projekt Red
*puts on "likes" list*
*takes off "like" list*

If we're talking seriously they might be the top choice for Western made Berserk game. Midland would shine brightly with them on the large scale.
From's art would probably be the best on a smaller scale. Their castles and ornate architecture would be great. The combat would probably be the best, especially if they make an effort to be faithful to the manga in the brutality and detail. The gore would be sick.

Frog-fu

Banned
*puts on "likes" list*

*takes off "like" list*

If we're talking seriously they might be the top choice for Western made Berserk game. Midland would shine brightly with them on the large scale.

From's art would probably be the best on a smaller scale. Their castles and ornate architecture would be great. The combat would probably be the best, especially if they make an effort to be faithful to the manga in the brutality and detail. The gore would be sick.

To clarify: I wouldn't care if CD Projekt Red started at the very beginning of the story. All of Berserk is pretty solid for an adaptation. Realistically, though, it's too long for them to cram it all in one game.

Bought this today:

8DpYnCl.jpg

Fjordson

Been tearing though volumes ever since I got volume 9 in from Amazon.

I just finished 13 and wow. The story has taken a huge, dark turn and it's been great, but I feel like I'm a little lost.

Spoilers through volume 13
I'm sure this is way premature and we'll get more insight into the new version of Griffith and why he did what he did, but I feel a little disappointed. Griffith was such an interesting character and now all of a sudden he's just Evil Incarnate? I mean he even raped Casca while Guts watched? Wut. Was it because he was jealous that Casca didn't worship him anymore and he had started to pick up on the relationship between Guts and Casca?

I guess I'm just reeling a bit from volume 13. That was a crazy 200 pages.

I just finished 13 and wow. The story has taken a huge, dark turn and it's been great, but I feel like I'm a little lost.

I'm sure this is way premature and we'll get more insight into the new version of Griffith and why he did what he did, but I feel a little disappointed. Griffith was such an interesting character and now all of a sudden he's just Evil Incarnate? I mean he even raped Casca while Guts watched? Wut. Was it because he was jealous that Casca didn't worship him anymore and he had started to pick up on the relationship between Guts and Casca?

I think he blames Guts for leaving and everything that happened after. I'm not sure how failthful the dialogue in the anime is to the manga, but I remember a line from Griffith that went something like "he's the only one who obscured my dream". What he did to Casca was just to spite Guts, and maybe her too.

After volume two, Puck has grown on me. Particularly, him trying to mimic the behelit face.

gdt

I'm reading it again, probably my 3rd time (has been years though), just as brutal as it ever was.

I'm not caught up, but it's kind of crazy they are still on the same boat (apparently) they were on the last time I read it. Oh well, is what it is.

Mumei

It's late and I'm about to go to bed, but I did want to respond to say that you actually get a huge amount of insight into this before that. You get
the clearest picture inside Griffith's head
in the volumes that immediately precede that one, so if you're feeling totally lost by it, rather than anticipating an explanation going forward I'd recommend that you flip through those preceding volumes for the relevant scenes.
It's actually explicable, in spite of the initial shock.

Fjordson

It's late and I'm about to go to bed, but I did want to respond to say that you actually get a huge amount of insight into this before that. You get
the clearest picture inside Griffith's head
in the volumes that immediately precede that one, so if you're feeling totally lost by it, rather than anticipating an explanation going forward I'd recommend that you flip through those preceding volumes for the relevant scenes.
It's actually explicable, in spite of the initial shock.
I guess I understand why Griffith made the sacrifice. He's hellbent on achieving his dream and all that, but man. He went straight to ultimate evil. I guess I'm just lamenting the loss of human Griffith as a character. He was really interesting.

And I know I'm probably jumping the gun on the new Griffith as a character because this just happened, but volume 13 was a real gut punch.

When I saw this thread bump I thought a new chapter was coming out....

God damn it every time this thread gets bumped I get hyped...

This thread should be locked until a new chapter is announced.

The bump of this thread made me think that a new chapter may have been announced/released. SIGH.

Oh.

I thought a new chapter is out :-\

At least I got a good laugh out of that .jpg

New cha.... Oh :C

I really hate this thread sometimes. I see it and think "date announced for 338?" Its never true though and I sigh and go on living.

Every time this thread is bumped I hope it's because a new chapter has been announced. And every time I leave disappointed, much like the HxH thread.

Ah, every time I see this thread on the first page I hope for an update on the manga. I should know better by now.

*Sees the thread is bumped

*No signs of future chapter in sight

God damn it... EVERY SINGLE TIME!

New chapter? No? Bah, I should have known better.

I am the same as you... =[

ALRIGHT WHO BUMPED THIS FKN THREAD

Haha. This is just from the last few pages. Y'all may want to subscribe to a Berserk news site instead or something, rather than assuming that a bump to this thread means a new chapter. (It's fun to discuss Berserk even when there's not a new chapter.)

RwqtGSH.jpg

I'm still waiting for volumes 2-8 and my Vagabond 3 in 1 volume to arrive, but I just ordered volumes 9-37 of Berserk. I think I've gone a little mad. InStockTrades had one copy of volume 9 left but didn't have volumes 24 and 34. I had to go to eBay for volume 24 (the price of it was pretty ridiculous) and Book Depository for volume 34.

I wasn't going to buy so much, but the more I got in one go the more I saved on shipping from InStockTrades - and I thought I'd eventually end up buying them all anyway. All up it cost me around $560 Australian Dollars for all 37 volumes....add in the fact that I've just spent like about $14,000 Australian Dollars on a holiday to Greece next month (I'm paying for my Mum too), this has been a really expensive year so far! o_O

Nibel

Man, big kudos to that dedication Tricky. Both Berserk and Vagabond are incredible in every regard.
---
Remember when Guts and the others are on the boat and suddenly they are engulfed by a bright light? That's what will happen when a new chapter releases.

I hope we get at least one this year.

I suppose it's good that I don't really buy a lot of $60 games these days (in fact it's very rare) as that makes spending $70 on eight books an easier pill to swallow. Just ordered books 5-12, so I'll at least have the golden age mostly complete for the time being.

There are various ways you can explain his decision. First and foremost , the world in Berserk is bound by the laws of causality. Griffith lived a conditioned life to make that decision. In the occulation he was even manipulated (he hallucinates with Guts , Ubik shows him a false past , etc). Why he made that decision ? Well , Griffith more or less lives in his own reality. He suppresses everything around him in order to achieve his dream. After being rescued he is as far way as possible from his objective . From the beautiful , almighty conqueror he is now a disfigured blob of absolute nothing. He is past the point of being fragile. Seeing the one man who made him rethink his dream (Guts) with Casca led him to try to escape that miserable existence and condition. And at his lowest point they give him in a platter his dream. He sees Guts one last time before saying Yes knowing that man was the only thing that broke his reality. He ends up sacrificing everything for a dream he started to see as inaccessible.

They better be reprinting those. I really don't want to pay more than msrp for second-hand.

Volume 24 was listed as new on eBay, so don't worry. Just be prepared to pay more for it than the other volumes - it seems to be the rarest.

Man, big kudos to that dedication Tricky. Both Berserk and Vagabond are incredible in every regard.

Thanks. Berserk has blown me away. It oozes quality and everything about it is just so rich. I might even post mini reviews for each volume.

Man I was just thinking I have the volumes up to somewhere on the boat, since like .. 2010 or 2011, sitting on my bookshelf

Then I read just now they're still on the boat? SON

PS, is Wolfsmund good? It looks pretty sweet but I'm scared to pull the trigger on it

Mumei

I guess I understand why Griffith made the sacrifice. He's hellbent on achieving his dream and all that, but man. He went straight to ultimate evil. I guess I'm just lamenting the loss of human Griffith as a character. He was really interesting.

And I know I'm probably jumping the gun on the new Griffith as a character because this just happened, but volume 13 was a real gut punch.

There are various ways you can explain his decision. First and foremost , the world in Berserk is bound by the laws of causality. Griffith lived a conditioned life to make that decision. In the occulation he was even manipulated (he hallucinates with Guts , Ubik shows him a false past , etc). Why he made that decision ? Well , Griffith more or less lives in his own reality. He suppresses everything around him in order to achieve his dream. After being rescued he is as far way as possible from his objective . From the beautiful , almighty conqueror he is now a disfigured blob of absolute nothing. He is past the point of being fragile. Seeing the one man who made him rethink his dream (Guts) with Casca led him to try to escape that miserable existence and condition. And at his lowest point they give him in a platter his dream. He sees Guts one last time before saying Yes knowing that man was the only thing that broke his reality. He ends up sacrificing everything for a dream he started to see as inaccessible.

I agree with the gist of what True Savior is saying, until we get to the bolded part:
He suppresses everything, and nothing more than his own humanity. So, I don't think he's sacrificing everything for his dream, but is instead running from his own humanity. It isn't the manipulations While he is imprisoned, there's a line - I don't have the volume in front of me so forgive me for the vagueness - where he says that while his dream is fading, Guts is shining as bright as ever. Guts shattered Griffith's carefully constructed persona, and it was in that moment when he saw Guts again that he made the sacrifice. I think that everything else - the manipulations, his current condition, his desire to achieve his dream, etc. are all relevant. But in that moment, he's running from Guts and everything that he represents about Griffith that Griffith can't face.

Jarnet87

Yeah, y'all need to chill. If new Berserk ever comes out you'd probably know about it before seeing this thread.

the Berserk Reddit keeps an updated date on when the next possible chapter could come out. It's already been changed from 5/8 to 5/22 as the next "possible" date there could be a chapter in Young Animal. 5/8 would of made sense since its a week after Golden Week, but were talking about Berserk.

Mitch

Banned
RwqtGSH.jpg

I'm still waiting for volumes 2-8 and my Vagabond 3 in 1 volume to arrive, but I just ordered volumes 9-37 of Berserk. I think I've gone a little mad. InStockTrades had one copy of volume 9 left but didn't have volumes 24 and 34. I had to go to eBay for volume 24 (the price of it was pretty ridiculous) and Book Depository for volume 34.

I wasn't going to buy so much, but the more I got in one go the more I saved on shipping from InStockTrades - and I thought I'd eventually end up buying them all anyway. All up it cost me around $560 Australian Dollars for all 37 volumes....add in the fact that I've just spent like about $14,000 Australian Dollars on a holiday to Greece next month (I'm paying for my Mum too), this has been a really expensive year so far! o_O
You know, I've stopped myself from spending anymore money on manga, because I will end up emptying out my account. InStockTrades is a godsend. I had volumes 1 through 10 of Vagabond in my cart the other day, and it wasn't even over $150.

You're going to feel complete when you see these on your shelf.

Mumei

You know, I've stopped myself from spending anymore money on manga, because I will end up emptying out my account. InStockTrades is a godsend. I had volumes 1 through 10 of Vagabond in my cart the other day, and it wasn't even over $150.

You're going to feel complete when you see these on your shelf.

I just finished collecting Vagabond recently, myself. And yes, it is nice. <3

Mitch

Banned
I just finished collecting Vagabond recently, myself. And yes, it is nice. <3
I had not actually seen a physical copy until just yesterday. What a huge book (3-in-1). Over 700 pages, and from what I skimmed through, it all looked really well done.

To satisfy my urge to buy manga, I hung out at B&N for a bit, just flipping through different books. I didn't see any Berserk, though. I've been to three different B&N stores in my area, and none of them seem to carry any volumes.

Mumei

I had not actually seen a physical copy until just yesterday. What a huge book (3-in-1). Over 700 pages, and from what I skimmed through, it all looked really well done.

To satisfy my urge to buy manga, I hung out at B&N for a bit, just flipping through different books. I didn't see any Berserk, though. I've been to three different B&N stores in my area, and none of them seem to carry any volumes.

Yeah, Berserk volumes never seem to be around, except occasionally in used bookstores.

Kinyou

Isn't that also done by now?
I'm not quite sure. Might just be on a hiatus right now.
Read the synopsis for Wolfsmund, so something like medieval Hostel?
That's probably fairly accurate.

PS, is Wolfsmund good? It looks pretty sweet but I'm scared to pull the trigger on it
It's certainly not on a similar level as Berserk. Basically more like gratuitous horror where you just wonder what terrible thing might happen this time to the protagonists. I'd say if you can get it for cheap it's worth a look.

Top Bottom