• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

Please do! I'd love to hear some Vagabond impressions too, but I guess this isn't really the thread for that.

I will, and if I do Vagabond impressions I'll probably just make a new thread. Don't want to derail this thread too much.

It might be a while before I touch Vagabond though. I'm gonna try and go through Berserk slowly. Keyword being 'try'.

Yonafunu

No need to. Just read it. It's worth it. Trust a fellow berserk fan.

No, I've read it, I just want to hear his impressions.

I will, and if I do Vagabond impressions I'll probably just make a new thread. Don't want to derail this thread too much.

It might be a while before I touch Vagabond though. I'm gonna try and go through Berserk slowly. Keyword being 'try'.

Yeah that's probably a better idea.

And yeah, savour your Berserk. You won't be getting a lot more when you're all caught up.

:(

Nibel

Just be prepared that Vagabond can be hard to follow sometimes because a lot of the characters look similar (key characters still have their own special looks though). But yeah, it's the next best manga to read after Berserk

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What do you mean by fluid ?

He "prostitutes" himself in favor of his army. It seems he feels repulsed after it.

I felt that was because the dude was gross, and it was completely being used - not because it was a gay thing.

Griffith's just...Griffith. He's his own thing. I completely agree with the previous poster that there's definitely romantic feelings, but it never NEEDS to be spelled out clearly, and never actually has to happen, like, as a goal of his. It's just there.

I felt that was because the dude was gross, and it was completely being used - not because it was a gay thing.

Griffith's just...Griffith. He's his own thing. I completely agree with the previous poster that there's definitely romantic feelings, but it never NEEDS to be spelled out clearly, and never actually has to happen, like, as a goal of his. It's just there.

Yeah, I agree with this

Griffith is the genderqueer antihero we deserve

Still , i don't really understand the fluid remark. He is actually portrayed as asexual. He doesn't show desire for anyone and only his shown being involved sexually to take advantage of the act.

Naturally he had feelings for Guts. But i don't associate them with romantic ones.

Still , i don't really understand the fluid remark. He is actually portrayed as asexual. He doesn't show desire for anyone and only his shown being involved sexually to take advantage of the act.

Naturally he had feelings for Guts. But i don't associate them with romantic ones.

It's a tumblr buzzword for when you feel you don't have a solid self-identifying gender. Griffith himself is very feminine but someone like him cannot be simply defined by gender. He does have strong passionate feelings for Guts but it was more like a sense of ownership/dominance over anything of love.

I agree 100% with you on this, when Guts leaves the band of hawk, Griffith is affected by it it no because he lost a love interest but because his ego got hit/ridiculed.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I agree 100% with you on this, when Guts leaves the band of hawk, Griffith is affected by it it no because he lost a love interest but because his ego got hit/ridiculed.

I still feel it's a lot deeper than that, not just ego, and not just control. Did Griffith love to control Guts? Sure. He loves control and being in control.

But he lost someone because their dream didn't align with his anymore. When Guts listened at the fountain and found out what Griffith saw in others, he felt the need to rise above being a simple tool, a weapon, and be someone. This unfortunately took Griffith's favorite "toy" away - but he realized (when it was too late, after Guts won his freedom) that there was far more to it. Even during the eclipse, Griffith was absolutely torn on what to do - and it was how vulnerable Griffith felt, remembering how much it hurt when Guts left - not just the loss of his favorite toy but a sense of togetherness that he felt with Guts that he didn't feel with anyone else, period, that hurt him so much and swayed him, in the end, to turn into Femto.

It's complicated, emotionally - and he loved Guts very much. Love makes you vulnerable, and love is what pushed Griffith to sacrifice what he loved. The pain of having to sacrifice someone you genuinely care about in order to get what you want, and Griffith dealing with the realization that if he stops now, everyones' sacrifice was in vain. It's a tough choice. Obviously he should have decided not to, but that would have been the end of everyone, anyway.

Fjordson

Nearing the end of the Conviction arc at the moment.

It's been great, though I'm starting to get a little lost.
Mainly with the appearance of angel Mozgus and the Egg shaped dude who temporarily captures Luca. Not totally clear on who or what he is or why he made Mozgus and his torturers so powerful. Also, why were all the refugees living near the tower of conviction, despite all the people snatched up as "heretics"? Seems like they'd want to get the hell outta there.

Mainly with the appearance of angel Mozgus and the Egg shaped dude who temporarily captures Luca. Not totally clear on who or what he is or why he made Mozgus and his torturers so powerful. Also, why were all the refugees living near the tower of conviction, despite all the people snatched up as "heretics"? Seems like they'd want to get the hell outta there.

The Egg-shaped creature is a one of a kind Apostle, he has very special properties including turning people into monsters with his needle, but the most important attribute of such creature will be revealed later in the arc, keep reading.

I still feel it's a lot deeper than that, not just ego, and not just control. Did Griffith love to control Guts? Sure. He loves control and being in control.

But he lost someone because their dream didn't align with his anymore. When Guts listened at the fountain and found out what Griffith saw in others, he felt the need to rise above being a simple tool, a weapon, and be someone. This unfortunately took Griffith's favorite "toy" away - but he realized (when it was too late, after Guts won his freedom) that there was far more to it. Even during the eclipse, Griffith was absolutely torn on what to do - and it was how vulnerable Griffith felt, remembering how much it hurt when Guts left - not just the loss of his favorite toy but a sense of togetherness that he felt with Guts that he didn't feel with anyone else, period, that hurt him so much and swayed him, in the end, to turn into Femto.

It's complicated, emotionally - and he loved Guts very much. Love makes you vulnerable, and love is what pushed Griffith to sacrifice what he loved. The pain of having to sacrifice someone you genuinely care about in order to get what you want, and Griffith dealing with the realization that if he stops now, everyones' sacrifice was in vain. It's a tough choice. Obviously he should have decided not to, but that would have been the end of everyone, anyway.

But the discussion was some kind of romantic feelings. I don't think love and romance is the same thing , at all. Nor do i know if he really loved him. I would say a) the appreciation he had for Guts was the most Griffith had for anyone else b) those feelings confused him to the point they made him doubt himself. Maybe he didn't even understand them fully.

When he confronts
Guts once again in the Hill of Swords
, i don't think he is trying to find if he still is romantically attached to him.

I think what the The Omega Man wrote was how he felt when Guts decided it was time to move on. Grffith naturally tried to express his dominance. But his feelings for him are much deeper than control.

They are sorta stuck in there. It's more or less a poor gathering , where prostitution became prominent because of the Holy Iron Chain soldiers presence in Albion. The city is supposed to be "protected" by the Holy See.

The rest , i think it will be clearer in the future.

Is it Tudor or Chuder? Original anime dvds said Chuder, then "remastered" said Tudor, and I believe Egg of the King subs said Tudor as well. Yet the manga says Chuder, so which is it?

NEO0MJ

I hate having this thread bumped, it reminds me that this great story will never be complete in my life time ( ب_ب)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
But the discussion was some kind of romantic feelings. I don't think love and romance is the same thing , at all. Nor do i know if he really loved him. I would say a) the appreciation he had for Guts was the most Griffith had for anyone else b) those feelings confused him to the point they made him doubt himself. Maybe he didn't even understand them fully.

When he confronts
Guts once again in the Hill of Swords
, i don't think he is trying to find if he still is romantically attached to him.

I think what the The Omega Man wrote was how he felt when Guts decided it was time to move on. Grffith naturally tried to express his dominance. But his feelings for him are much deeper than control.

Thank you Ken, that's pretty much what I wanted to convey with my words.
I see what you both mean now, and don't disagree.

Dark Horse says Chuder, so I go with that.

They're wrong though, it really is "Tudor".

I prefer Chuder over Tudor, personally. Tudor makes sense, though, as that was one of the most powerful families in Europe around the time that Berserk seems to be based on. (15th-16th century)

Speaking of, Judeau might be the most likable character I've ever seen in anything. I really admired the high command of The Band for fighting for their lives until the end. I think I might have slit my own throat, but that nothing-is-impossible attitude is what took them to the top.

RYnuaOsm.jpg

* Guts is insanely badass!
* I'm really liking Puck so far. His comedy is welcomed.
* The overall atmosphere is amazing. It totally sucks you in.

3HEHNWct.png

xZLtN6im.jpg

* Some spectacular gore in this volume thanks mainly to The Count.
* I found some of the action in this volume a little hard to follow at times.
* I really wanted Guts to
save Vargas.
* Dat Zondark
transformation!
* I'm glad I watched the anime/movies before starting the manga. So much makes more sense at the moment.

SMkfxMrt.png

X80R3gXm.jpg

* Wow at Guts using
his mouth to swing his sword!
* My jaw was on the floor at the
goat/orgy
reveal!
* The Count. What a tragic character.
* Poor Theresia. I was so glad Guts
showed some sorrow towards her
as he was walking away.
* Dat Golden Age arc art upgrade!
* The amount of mature themes and general tone in this volume was nuts! What a ride!

3HEHNWct.png

LaneDS

I actually really like those "reviews" for each volume. Fun to see volume by volume impressions from a new reader. Glad you're digging it!

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Honestly i could hold on this hiatus better if Miura went out and confirms if
The Idea of Evil
is still canon or not.

Honestly i could hold on this hiatus better if Miura went out and confirms if
The Idea of Evil
is still canon or not.

Last I heard it's canon but just removed from the books because he felt it revealed too much about the world. So.. feel good about knowing too much, I guess?

Siegcram

It's canon. That's not really up for debate.

Although I have no idea what plot points it could have possibly given away, since it's not exactly a novel concept. Maybe beside hinting at the existence of a "positive" counterpart.

Fans wrote him. He answered that
it was scrapped because it might limit his freedom for the story development

I don't think is fully gone though, this "idea" (pun intended) is going to come back with a better integration overall and exposition. probably as soon as by volume 40 in 2025

Was this published at the end of a volume or something?

No. A fansite. www.skullknight.net

I don't think is fully gone though, this "idea" (pun intended) is going to come back with a better integration overall and exposition. probably as soon as by volume 40 in 2025
c5f.gif

Speaking of, Judeau might be the most likable character I've ever seen in anything. I really admired the high command of The Band for fighting for their lives until the end. I think I might have slit my own throat, but that nothing-is-impossible attitude is what took them to the top.

Seeing him
sacrifice himself for Casca in his final moments
was really gut-wrenching. I think one of the reasons i hate the movies is they disregard Judeau almost completely.

There's an image (i think its a small poster , maybe card) of Berserk laserdisc which was what made me watch Berserk. It was literally that one image. It's young Guts sitting in a rock with his huge sword , Griffith behind him and the flag of the Band.

I wasn't even into anime (or better , i stopped seeing it) and saw that image and said "I need to watch this show". I never expected that in 2015 I would still be waiting for it to end.

Fjordson

I love that the Dark Horse Berserk volumes start to translate the sound effects in all the panels. The first half dozen volumes or so didn't have that, but it's much appreciated.

Also, all these later volumes come with a neat little piece of color artwork that's basically like a small poster.

Dark Horse really did a great job with Berserk overall.

There's an image (i think its a small poster , maybe card) of Berserk laserdisc which was what made me watch Berserk. It was literally that one image. It's young Guts sitting in a rock with his huge sword , Griffith behind him and the flag of the Band.

I wasn't even into anime (or better , i stopped seeing it) and saw that image and said "I need to watch this show". I never expected that in 2015 I would still be waiting for it to end.
Was it this?
GSKSxQy.jpg

Yes :) That image was my behelit !

There wasn't an english-dvd edition yet , so i went and bought some chinese bootleg version. All because of that one image. I had zero clue about what it was . I just loved that image.

It's the insert for the laserdisc I bought. It has some chsracter sketches on the back too. I would have framed it, but it doesn't fill up the dimensions of the frame exactly.

Nibel

For Miura fans: Dark Horse will publish Giganto Maxia

North American manga and comics publisher Dark Horse Comics revealed at its panel at Anime Central on Saturday that it has licensed Kentarou Miura's Giganto Maxia, CLAMP's RG Veda, Spike Chunsoft and Takashi Tsukimi's Danganronpa: The Animation, and Kengo Hanazawa's I Am a Hero manga.

Kentarou Miura (Berserk) published the Giganto Maxia mini-series in Hakusensha's Young Animal magazine in 2013-2014. The series is set in a world 100 million years in the future. Dark Horse will release the one-volume series in February 2016.

Hakusensha published the 37th compiled book volume of Berserk in Japan in March 2013. Dark Horse Comics published the same volume in North America in December 2013.

fRfo48v.jpg

Top Bottom