• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

Impressive, most impressive, take your time reading those, savor them.

I'm definitely taking my time and savouring them. I find myself just staring at the art and soaking it all in. It's glorious!
r5FsPKl.jpg

I just read volume 5 last night. 'Where has this been my entire life!?' is constantly going through my head at the moment.

I'm on book 25. I'm digging this
magic/witchcraft
arc. It actually seems like a very natural fit for the story so far. I'm just sad that there's only 12 books left and I'm weary of any sailing that might happen in the near future...

I saw MM last night and thought how a young George Miller might have been the perfect director for some crazy live action Berserk adaptation.

I'm on book 25. I'm digging this
magic/witchcraft
arc. It actually seems like a very natural fit for the story so far. I'm just sad that there's only 12 books left and I'm weary of any sailing that might happen in the near future...

You're in for some great episodes.

p2QLiorm.jpg

Donovan
got exactly what he deserved!
* That two page spread of Guts looking up at the night sky right before he was
attacked by wolves
was gorgeous.
* That whole nightmare with
Shisu as a dog.
Yikes!
* "Are you a homo?" "Fag boy." Haha, wow! That kind of came out of nowhere.
* The Guts fight with Griffith was the highlight of the volume.
Guts biting the sword
= badass.

SMkfxMrt.png

35aQxUjm.jpg

* The art! It has already improved so much! I went back and had a quick look at volume 1 again and the difference is huge.
* Guts is only 18? Really? He looks older. He looked older than 15 in the last volume too.
* The Nosferatu Zodd fight was so damn good! Him
using his severed arm to hit Guts
was great.
* The characters are developing wonderfully!

yFjTPyzt.png

ouWYSLfm.jpg

* LOL at Griffith showing Guts a nudie book!
Poor Adonis. Poor Guts.
The feels!
* Loved the vision/nightmare of
Nosferatu Zodd killing Gambino and Guts, essentially mirroring when Guts killed Julius and Adonis.
* I love how layered Guts is. I really like how he can be a ruthless killing machine but also show regret/remorse when warranted.
* Aww, Casca warmed Guts's body and now Guts is warming her body. I never made that connection when watching the anime/movies.

SMkfxMrt.png

just ordered 29 - 37. I'm already prepped to be left hanging, so I'm not gonna fret over it too much because it's been an amazing ride! I'll finish it, play the games, maybe rewatch the anime, do my best to forget about the next chapter and hopefully be surprised one day.

On book nine now,
and the stuff with the Midland King is so disturbing.
They just gloss over it in the animated adaptions, so it was pretty unexpected.

It seems kind of odd that the anime just excluded a few characters, like Skull Knight and Silat. Silat, in particular because they showed that warrior festival in the anime. I know they both are in the third movie, but Silat just shows up without any real introduction.

I am still impressed with how faithful the series was, regardless. Honestly, the only movie worth seeing is the third, and that's only if you want to see the Skull Knight and what happens post-eclipse if you're not going to read it.

Watcher

im on my 3rd readthrough of the manga after seeing the anime about ~4 years ago. All i want to say is guts is one bad ass motherfucker

It seems kind of odd that the anime just excluded a few characters, like Skull Knight and Silat. Silat, in particular because they showed that warrior festival in the anime. I know they both are in the third movie, but Silat just shows up without any real introduction.

I am still impressed with how faithful the series was, regardless. Honestly, the only movie worth seeing is the third, and that's only if you want to see the Skull Knight and what happens post-eclipse if you're not going to read it.

The tv series captures well enough what Golden Age arc really is. It cuts the setup , it cuts characters , it omits events yet it is a million times more faithful of the nature of the story than the movies.

One day. One day we will see Wyald in some Berserk adaptation

Wyald02.jpg

I mean, Wyald is kinda cool for people who watched the anime then read the manga but otherwise it's just another reason for Caska to get raped.

I mean, Wyald is kinda cool for people who watched the anime then read the manga but otherwise it's just another reason for Caska to get raped.

There is not a particular objectification of Casca as a sexual object in those chapters. It's much more Wyald nature. He's introduced in an orgy strangling his partner. He rapes a family. While i do agree some of the sexual imagery is a tad too much , it could easily be downplayed without removing a necessary event. He is a reminder of the creatures who habit that land , an extremely ruthless strong opponent of Guts and the entire band (putting the entire rescue of Grffith at stake). I do love seeing Guts , whom we go through so much and know how strong he became, scared as shit but still fighting with everything he has experiencing near death .

He serves as a huge contrast when the Eclipse occurs because we saw how strong one apostle was. An entire army of them presents the hellish nature of the Occultation Ceremony and an inescapable death for the Band.

Also , the fight is fun as fuck.

Fjordson

I'm on Volume 25. I dunno, not enjoying this as much as the Tower of Conviction stuff (and obviously not as much as the Golden Age).

Still very good, but I'm not feverishly consuming it like I was.

I'm on Volume 25. I dunno, not enjoying this as much as the Tower of Conviction stuff (and obviously not as much as the Golden Age).

Still very good, but I'm not feverishly consuming it like I was.

Next 2 volumes are top to me.

Trolls are just a little side-mission to the group , while Miura somewhat expands Berserk's universe.

Just finished book eleven.
Wyald is a disgusting piece of shit who got what he deserved, but I did feel sorry for whatever humanity he shed when he used the behelit. Although, given his deplorable actions as a demon, he probably wanted to do those things, but couldn't in his frail, old human form. Or maybe when he shed his humanity, he also rid himself of any moral compass he felt obliged to follow. Either way, it's pretty sad.

Also, the rescue mission feels so exhausting compared to the anime which moves so much faster. That's a lot of shit to deal with just to meet their doomed fates at the eclipse festival. I think I need some Puck soon to lighten up things a bit.

Well guys, I finally took the plunge and started my journey into despair by finally picking up the first volume of the manga. I'm a HUGE fan of the anime, and enjoy the films for what they are.

I just felt like it was time to finally go beyond the golden arc and see what's in store down the road, or should I say the end of the infamous boat ride? I'm trying to read it as slowly as possible and truly savor it. I've had the manga for about 3 days now, and already i've gone through 2/3rds of it. Can't help it.

Well guys, I finally took the plunge and started my journey into despair by finally picking up the first volume of the manga. I'm a HUGE fan of the anime, and enjoy the films for what they are.

I just felt like it was time to finally go beyond the golden arc and see what's in store down the road, or should I say the end of the infamous boat ride? I'm trying to read it as slowly as possible and truly savor it. I've had the manga for about 3 days now, and already i've gone through 2/3rds of it. Can't help it.

oh boy, a virgin Berserk Manga reader, enjoy the ride!

I mean at least we can gauge the releases a little better rather than being confused on when the fuck he's going to release the chapter. Though monthly might mean the chapters might end up being shorter and/or less well-drawn.

Miura could always potentially beef them up for volume releases if he has the time?

Frog-fu

Banned
I haven't been into Berserk for that long but I'm ecstatic the new chapter is coming out so much sooner than I expected. I was expecting to wait for another 4-6 months at least.

Mumei

How fast do they usually release trade paperbacks after they have gathered enough issues?

Well, we only just caught up with Japan with the release of Volume 37, so it's more a question of how close the U.S. release of Volume 38 is to the Japanese release. So, no idea yet.

Well, we only just caught up with Japan with the release of Volume 37, so it's more a question of how close the U.S. release of Volume 38 is to the Japanese release. So, no idea yet.

Vol 37 came out March 2013 in Japan and November 2013 in the west. Not too bad.

Mumei

Vol 37 came out March 2013 in Japan and November 2013 in the west. Not too bad.

Right, before that there was about a year gap (9-29-2010 and 9-21-2011; 9-23-2011 and 9-19-2012, for volumes 35 and 36 in Japan and the U.S.).

I hope they can just come out at the same time. It's not like they don't have time to be translating them in time for a simultaneous release.

Fjordson

I need to get back to reading again. I stalled out a few weeks ago on I think volume 26. Just lost steam after the Tower of Conviction.

Top Bottom