• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

cyborg009

Banned
BWHAHAHAHA! So did I blow your mind or what?!
yVPQZo1.jpg

It seems really obvious now that I've actually noticed it.

Just in case anyone else was wondering.

NSFW:http://imgur.com/2DKW0if

J6btxARm.jpg

8gJLl8d.jpg

* Would you look at that? The demon
that killed Corkus
was the same demon that Guts killed in the first few pages of volume 1.
* Judeau's
death hurt.
The way
he protected Casca.
His face
when he got stabbed for the final time.
How
he had feelings for Casca.
My emotions!
* Guts using
that demon horn as a weapon.
Coolness overload!
* Good God at some of the violent images of
heads exploding as Griffith is 'sinking.'
Such a massive sense of dread and doom!
* Are you freaking kidding me with
Gaston's death?!
The Count?! The Count ripped Pippin apart?!
No wonder Guts was so enraged with him in the earlier volumes.
* Yuck! So many
penis demons
near Casca!
* Even though I knew it was coming,
Griffith raping Casca
was hard to look at and seemed to go on forever. Such a wild storm of emotions!
* Now I know why some people say they botched
the rape scene
in the movie. It was all shock value without any of the subtle emotional depth.
Casca being completely broken
now is such a downer. Poor Guts!
* I felt sorry for Guts when he was running away and
thinking of everyone who died.
It reminded me of when he was running away after
killing Gambino.
* Guts
has a new dream.
"Should anyone trample that dream...he would oppose him body and soul...even if the threat were..."
We've come full circle!
* So much to take in with this artistically stunning masterpiece of a volume. I can't stop thinking about it! I need time to process it and for it to all sink in.

bW90Nfxt.png

ZevdZiym.jpg

* I really liked how
the demon baby prevented the evil spirits from attacking Casca
and how
it sucked her brand of sacrifice,
but yeah, very messed up!
* Oh man! Gut's face when he tried
to kiss Casca and she pushed him away
was devastating. They had
come so far too!
* That demon that showed up at Godo's house got absolutely obliterated!
The red lake = The Band of the Hawk?
* Wow at
the ritual of sacrifice on that tree involving intestines!
* Badass alert! It was so cool when lightning revealed Guts in his robe sitting under the tree and for him to then
casually cut that bandits tongue.
* Dat
tree transformation!
* LOL at finding out Puck was behind
throwing the needle balls.
Very memorable re-introduction!
* "Ske...daddle." I literally LOL'd when Puck said that when he wanted Guts
to run from the angry mob.
Puck's face was priceless. I love him!
* Between Jill
being beaten and heavily implied to being raped
and her mother also
getting abused,
I'm starting to really think Miura hates females.
* I enjoyed Berserk The Prototype. It was a cool little story. It was interesting to see all the small changes. Also, hi Theresia and The Count!

3HEHNWct.png

qsr1efxm.jpg

* Wow at all the
dead burning children
in the barn.
* It's great to see Guts throwing up at
the burning children attacking him,
showing that he still has some humanity. It's refreshing to see in a character.
* Poor Peekaf. I'm willing to bet that story of him really happened.
* LOL at "Betchi, the Behelit."
* Rosine putting
a frog
on Jill's head was cute.
* Dat
ball of corpses!
* Guts killing one of the demon insects with his sword while another one was clinging to the sword was epic!
* LOL at how Puck remembers The Godhand!
* Guts
using his arm cannon and sword at the same time on 2 different demon insects
was badass! He continues to be very clever in combat.
* LOL at Puck's reaction when
he's spotted by the fake elves
and when he notices
he's holding an eyeball.
He's had heaps of funny bits in this volume!
* The Misty Valley is so pretty and peaceful. Oh look, the fake elves are
slaughtering each other!
Disturbing! Especially since
they're only children!
* When Rosine said to Jill "It's okay. I'll make you
into an extra-special elf."
It was surprinsgly emotional.

ZhcFWMxt.png

The mantis and beetle demons have a brief cameo in the anime during the last scene with Rickert. I did not notice that until my recent viewing.

Man Berserk has some great covers, especially Volume 13.
Twelve is my favorite with Femto hatching from the behelit. I want that statue of it too (if it wasn't so pricey).

Not only are the praying mantis and beetle demons in the anime, but I just went and checked volume 10 and they make an appearance their too when they
attack The Band of the Hawk with Rickert.
I obviously recognised
The Count and Rosine,
but I never made the connection with the praying mantis and beetle demons. It makes sense that they'd be with
Rosine
too. Great attention to detail!

Why is this image so perfect for the volume though?

It was that or this:

hwgPwIT.jpg

But giving the Lost Children arc 3 stars? You better believe I'm mad.

I've given a few volumes three and a half stars, but the three stars I gave to volume 15 is the lowest rating I've given so far. I just thought nothing really interesting happened. It probably doesn't help that I don't really care for Rosine all that much. I've actually read volume 16, and while definitely not bad, overall I thought The Lost Children mini-ark felt too much like a side story, and dare I say it, felt a little filler-ish. I'm kinda glad it's over. I need more Griffith in my life!

cyborg009

Banned
It was that or this:

hwgPwIT.jpg

I've given a few volumes three and a half stars, but the three stars I gave to volume 15 is the lowest rating I've given so far. I just thought nothing really interesting happened. It probably doesn't help that I don't really care for Rosine all that much. I've actually read volume 16, and while definitely not bad, overall I thought The Lost Children mini-ark felt too much like a side story, and dare I say it, felt a little filler-ish. I'm kinda glad it's over. I need more Griffith in my life!

I saw on reddit that the girl you meet during that arc might have died. I'll link you to the image if you want.

Your reaction to the end of the birth ceremony chapter will be interesting to see.

So, I'm getting a dreamcast and already have Gut's Rage. Do I need to read 22 before, or am I good if I know they're going to Puck's homeland?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

mcz117chief

All right, I finally got my hands on chapter 338 and 339 and of course we got zero plot development, again :(
Another road trip is about to begin, wow, great, 10 years on a boat and now we will get another 10 years on a road :(
I really hope this won't be the case. Miura should seriously consider finishing the story, I am increasingly restless, worried that I might die any moment and never get to see the ending of Berserk.
Another chapter on the 25th, let's hope we see Elfheim or something.

Wow, so I just finished the birth ceremony chapter and I'm curious about something.
Are there two forms of Griffith now? Femto and the one born from Casca, are they separate entities or the same? I'm thinking separate, but I'm not sure.

I dont know exactly what you are asking but Griffith i
s basically infused by evil (can't find other words. sounds corny) , sacrificing himself to become Femto. The rebirth allows Femto (in Griffiths body) , existence in the mortal world.

I started playing Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage for the Dreamcast. First of all, it's pretty amazing to me that we got this game localized years before any other Berserk media made it to the US. It was interesting going through the in-game encyclopedia already knowing what everything is. I do find it odd that it lists the Japanese pronunciations like Gattsu, Zoddo, and Beherite. Even the spoken English dialogue seems to use the Japanese pronunciations.

The game itself is average at best. It's basically an arcade-esque hackn'slash with several cutscenes inbetween with surprisingly decent voice-overs. The combat can be frustrating as Guts' sword will be stopped by walls or other obstacles in narrow areas, which is where fighting mainly happens. However, once your rage meter fills up, Guts unleashes his signature rage which ignores those pesky walls and geometry. There's no lock-on of any kind, so Guts will be slicing the air a lot.

I have only played maybe a hour of the game, so I can't comment much on the story except I wouldn't really feel lost if I hadn't already read up through book twenty-two.

The one feature that sent my fanatic-ness into overdrive was the VMU functionality, specifically the various animations onion-head Puck does during the game. He will shake his head if the game is saving to warn you not to remove it, sleep (I think?) during cutscenes, and shake his signature spiky weapon during combat to cheer you on to victory.
jupNKxU.jpg

Overall, it doesn't seem to be anything spectacular, and I've only just started, but it's still cool that we got one Berserk game. I'll update my impressions of the story later.

LaneDS

It does have a soundtrack composed by Hirasawa though, and that's awesome.

It was also my first exposure to the franchise, and while at first I thought it was crap (game kind of is) I later went back and enjoyed it when I was familiar with the characters.

Fjordson

Got back to reading after a hiatus. It's dragging a bit for me, but vol. 25 got pretty exciting so I'm hopping right into 26

Well, I finished Sword of the Berserk. Story was fine, nothing essential though. Game is incredibly repetitive and linear. The limited continues and weird save system wasn't an issue until I got to the Zodd boss. Fortunately, if you run out of continues, you just start from the cutscene before Zodd, which is skippable. However it was merely an annoyance then. It didn't reach bullshit status until the end of the game.

Here's how the final act plays out: boss, hallway chase with insta-kill thing, boss and then final boss. The game lets you save only before the first boss and you have to get through all those with ten continues (on normal). Oh, and you get only two health restores max. The first boss is easy, but holy fucking shit that chase sequence. I had to restart so many times. Because of that, I had to fight the last two bosses with less than five continues. I was raging, admittedly by the end there. I somehow managed to beat the final boss thanks to the rage meter filling up just as I was about one hit away from a game over. I am not even attempting the hard difficulty. Fuck that shit.

So, in conclusion it's cool to play a Berserk game, but it's not essential at all. It's a mediocre game based on an excellent property. As long as you read the in-game info guide, you could play it and follow the story well enough I think. The only thing that would cause confusion is Skull Knight riding in at the post-credits scene to eat the behelit the baron used. I guess he really likes those Cadbury creme behelits.

Oh and I was pretty disappointed I didn't get to see polygonal God Hand. What a shame.

Should I bother with the PS2 game? I see Yuke's made that too which makes me question if it has bullshit like the Dreamy one.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Well, I finished Sword of the Berserk. Story was fine, nothing essential though. Game is incredibly repetitive and linear. The limited continues and weird save system wasn't an issue until I got to the Zodd boss. Fortunately, if you run out of continues, you just start from the cutscene before Zodd, which is skippable. However it was merely an annoyance then. It didn't reach bullshit status until the end of the game.

Here's how the final act plays out: boss, hallway chase with insta-kill thing, boss and then final boss. The game lets you save only before the first boss and you have to get through all those with ten continues (on normal). Oh, and you get only two health restores max. The first boss is easy, but holy fucking shit that chase sequence. I had to restart so many times. Because of that, I had to fight the last two bosses with less than five continues. I was raging, admittedly by the end there. I somehow managed to beat the final boss thanks to the rage meter filling up just as I was about one hit away from a game over. I am not even attempting the hard difficulty. Fuck that shit.

So, in conclusion it's cool to play a Berserk game, but it's not essential at all. It's a mediocre game based on an excellent property. As long as you read the in-game info guide, you could play it and follow the story well enough I think. The only thing that would cause confusion is Skull Knight riding in at the post-credits scene to eat the behelit the baron used. I guess he really likes those Cadbury creme behelits.

Oh and I was pretty disappointed I didn't get to see polygonal God Hand. What a shame.

Should I bother with the PS2 game? I see Yuke's made that too which makes me question if it has bullshit like the Dreamy one.

PS2 is the best. It's a step up from the DC game, and guts feels very awesome wielding the sword.

It features an original story but many parts are based in manga events, so it's awesome to see. Also, there are flashback scenes too.

If you want to see some nice animation from the post-Eclipse era featuring post-Eclipse characters and events, it's baller. I think it covers Volumes 22-27.

berserk99.jpg

Getting dat Berserker armour and fighting Grunbeld was minding blowing when it first came out

berserk92.jpg

Alos, there's an English patch these days. Didn't have that way back when.

It's so sad how perfect the Japanese PS2 voice cast was for Berserk and now with the movies we'll never get to hear them again.

Although IMO English Guts' Rage Puck by Cam Clarke is the best Puck.

Laputa_94

PS2 is the best. It's a step up from the DC game, and guts feels very awesome wielding the sword.

It features an original story but many parts are based in manga events, so it's awesome to see. Also, there are flashback scenes too.

If you want to see some nice animation from the post-Eclipse era featuring post-Eclipse characters and events, it's baller. I think it covers Volumes 22-27.

berserk99.jpg

Getting dat Berserker armour and fighting Grunbeld was minding blowing when it first came out

berserk92.jpg

Alos, there's an English patch these days. Didn't have that way back when.

I modded my PS2 just so I could play this game. I would love to see another Berserk game come out in the future.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I modded my PS2 just so I could play this game. I would love to see another Berserk game come out in the future.

I used Swap Magic and a plastic slider when I imported it to the UK when it was released.

I was really hyped, and it delivered. It's a solid hack and slash and probably the best Berserk game we'll ever get (would love to be wrong).

Top Bottom