• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

Nibel

I just finished the series.

W

T

F

The Eclipse was some serious shit. I knew that talisman Griffith had was bad news, but I didn't know how bad.

I feel like it ended abruptly, though. Started the manga and already noticed that a lot was changed in the Black Swordsman arc.

The real Berserk starts now

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Is it wrong that I was hoping Guts would be getting off the fucking boat in #338?
I felt a little trolled that we're still in Falconia. What's even the point of Silat going after Griffith? At least with the Empire around he could redeem his clan.

I just started watching/reading this.

I LOVE it.

Griffith is set up as the bad guy from ep 1, and I keep hearing how he's the most hateable character in manga, but he seems like such a nice guy and good friend right now that I'm dying to see how the turnaround happens.

I can't believe it took me 25 years to finally get around to Berserk.

He's the nicest.

Anybody else felt that the anime series was superior to the movies? Yeah the 3rd movie goes a bit further but it's missing a few nice details from the anime. I also found the creature design to be creepier during the part when shit really hits the fan.

Anyone with good taste will agree with you :)

I just finished the series.

The Eclipse was some serious shit. I knew that talisman Griffith had was bad news, but I didn't know how bad.

I feel like it ended abruptly, though. Started the manga and already noticed that a lot was changed in the Black Swordsman arc.

The abrupt ending of the series has the positive effect of making everyone wanting to read the manga.

Is it wrong that I was hoping Guts would be getting off the fucking boat in #338?

Berserk is a waiting game. Let's just wait a little longer. He will get off the boat...eventually.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
My thoughts on the manga so far (just read up to when Caska is reintroduced):

Much, much darker than the anime. Almost too dark. (I could do without the rape, and the demon fetus kid thing, and especially demon dog and horse rape, seriously, wtf)

The art is indeed very good.

So far, I didn't like Lost Children or what came after as much as The Golden Age, because it's pretty much Guts being a huge jerk to everyone and killing things with a giant sword over and over. It lacks the same substance and character development. I can't say I'm a huge fan of Puck, either. But at the same time, I can't deny that huge swords and killing demons is cool.

I am liking where it's going since Guts' return to Godot. My boy Rickert grew up. And it was really nice to see Guts act human again. I have a positive feeling about the story from here on. Too bad about Charlotte though (Griffith, is there anyone you didn't royally screw up?)

Skull Knight is still my favorite character.

The demon designs, and the God Hand, are all seriously disturbing and creepy, so, working as intended, I suppose.

My major criticism is that the manga seems overly dark and violent for the sake of being dark and violent. My major praise is that the story and art are very unique and carry a huge sense of identity with them, making it quite unlike any manga I've read before.

My friends are being huge Griffith apologists and telling me he's the real hero of the story. Here's one of their responses when I said I find that hard to believe:

Friend said:
you also didn't anticpate how he'd go from being the white hawk to femto of the godhand

the white hawk will fly again

So, once again, I read on to see how Griffith's character changes and evolves.

Griffith as we knew him ceased to exist. He has been corrupted. There is only Femto.

Berserk is naturally dark. It's a universe inhabited by demons. No reason for them not to be purely evil.

Also i would say Lost Children perhaps has some of the biggest developments of Guts in the entire story. From his complete downfall to starting to adjust his morals once again. Even Roshīnu story is probably the most substantial Apostle story Miura wrote.

Fjordson

My thoughts on the manga so far (just read up to when Caska is reintroduced):

Much, much darker than the anime. Almost too dark. (I could do without the rape, and the demon fetus kid thing, and especially demon dog and horse rape, seriously, wtf)

The art is indeed very good.

So far, I didn't like Lost Children or what came after as much as The Golden Age, because it's pretty much Guts being a huge jerk to everyone and killing things with a giant sword over and over. It lacks the same substance and character development. I can't say I'm a huge fan of Puck, either. But at the same time, I can't deny that huge swords and killing demons is cool.

I am liking where it's going since Guts' return to Godot. My boy Rickert grew up. And it was really nice to see Guts act human again. I have a positive feeling about the story from here on. Too bad about Charlotte though (Griffith, is there anyone you didn't royally screw up?)

Skull Knight is still my favorite character.

The demon designs, and the God Hand, are all seriously disturbing and creepy, so, working as intended, I suppose.

My major criticism is that the manga seems overly dark and violent for the sake of being dark and violent. My major praise is that the story and art are very unique and carry a huge sense of identity with them, making it quite unlike any manga I've read before.

My friends are being huge Griffith apologists and telling me he's the real hero of the story. Here's one of their responses when I said I find that hard to believe:

So, once again, I read on to see how Griffith's character changes and evolves.
I felt the same as you. After The Eclipse and Tower of Conviction arc it lost a ton of steam for me. But it picked up again and now I'm on volume 26 and am enjoying it.

Griffith is not the "real hero," but the situation has evolved past "Guts will kill Griffith out of revenge"

Berserk is a story about free will, fate, and causality. How human beings are manipulated and shaped by forces they have no real understanding of. Guts' will is to struggle against the tides of fate while Griffith made the choice to succumb to it. Guts has inspired others to struggle against their perceived roles in life while Griffith's mere presence leads to subjugation and the desire to stay with what's comfortable without questioning it.

I am kind of surprised how critical people can be of Guts even after reading the golden age. Someone he trusted and cared about marked him for death and stole everything dear to him, of course he's going to be kind of a dick after that.

Tacitus_

My thoughts on the manga so far (just read up to when Caska is reintroduced)

Well, it is dark for a reason. Guts just had his friends killed, and his lover so horribly raped she went insane. And these were the people that made him able to trust other people after his childhood.

Though it won't stay that dark for long. Guts is getting a bunch of morality pets and will have to balance his thirst for revenge with protecting them from further harm.

Shiina

Well, it is dark for a reason. Guts just had his friends killed, and his lover so horribly raped she went insane. And these were the people that made him able to trust other people after his childhood.

Though it won't stay that dark for long. Guts is getting a bunch of morality pets and will have to balance his thirst for revenge with protecting them from further harm.

Just you wait.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I am kind of surprised how critical people can be of Guts even after reading the golden age. Someone he trusted and cared about marked him for death and stole everything dear to him, of course he's going to be kind of a dick after that.
It's not that I don't sympathize with him, it's just that watching him like this is significantly less entertaining than watching him develop as a person during The Golden Age.

One thing I do really like is when he kills apostles and makes them suffer, "feeling the pain of human weakness" (paraphrased). That's pretty damn cool, and gives both him and the reader some vindication after seeing the horrible things that they do, and have done to Guts in the past.

Mumei

It's not that I don't sympathize with him, it's just that watching him like this is significantly less entertaining than watching him develop as a person during The Golden Age.

One thing I do really like is when he kills apostles and makes them suffer, "feeling the pain of human weakness" (paraphrased). That's pretty damn cool, and gives both him and the reader some vindication after seeing the horrible things that they do, and have done to Guts in the past.

I would argue that the Lost Children Arc does show development, though.
It basically shows Guts regaining his humanity. When we first meet him during the Black Swordsman Arc, he's a completely different person from who he was when he left the Band of the Hawk and was thinking about his own life and what he wanted to do with it. The flashback explains how he became that person we saw in Volume 1; Volumes 14 - 16-ish are essentially a sort of recovery for him.

Kuroyume

Banned
Enjoyed the new chapter. Nice to see some action again. Hopefully we can move beyond people marvelling about Falconia and move to conflict real soon.

SolVanderlyn

I retroactively appreciate volumes 13-16 after seeing Guts grow again.

Last thing I read:

Griffith is reincarnated through Guts and Caska's demon fetus baby. This series. LOL

I really like this series, but I wonder about Miura as a person sometimes.

BqZA25q.jpg

I finally got a suitable necklace for this. These Banpresto ones are really nice because unlike the Art of War ones, they're not delicate and you can actually wear it. I also like that the strap it came with can be removed easily, which I'm guessing is because they knew people would probably want to put a necklace cord on it.

WKcTUt0m.jpg

* "Now...something beyond human knowledge...has begun to stir." Epic! The build up to the eclipse has been incredible! The foreshadowing is fantastic!
* I loved how Casca
grabbed Gut's hand,
then latter
grabbed his cape.
Great character development!
Poor Rickert!
That whole part was great, but damn was it harsh! Also, that demon looked like
The Count!
That
giant serpent
earlier looked familiar too!
* Glad we got some interesting backstrory on who I'm assuming is
Skull Knight.
Could the
5 angels be the Godhand?
* Griffith
putting his hand over Gut's neck to try and choke him
was subtle, but brilliant.
* The
torturer's death
was so satisfying!
* Guts going into rage mode was epic!
* Whoa,
the King
is not looking good at all!
* I absolutely loved everything about the fight with the Bakiraka in the sewer. It was the highlight of the volume! Shame it was cut from the anime/movies.

yFjTPyzt.png

zVHumyym.jpg

* That image of Wyald
raping that poor innocent girl
is burnt into my brain. To then have him and his group
impale all those body parts?
Yikes!
* I liked how traps were set up by The Band of the Hawk as a back up plan. They really thought things through.
* Wyald stopping Gut's sword
with his mouth
and then
punching Gut's horse in the face?
Amazing!
Wyald killing his own men?
Classy!
* Oh my God at the
penis tongue!
* Guts using
that dead body as a distraction
was a nice throwback to when he did it in volume 2 against The Count.
* Dat sword break! Dat brutality! Guts
going stab happy on Wyald
was so damn good!
Wyald's death was something else!
I can't say he didn't deserve
that gory end.
All those
demons dragging him away
was really freaky too!
* I can understand why, but it's still interesting that almost everything in this volume was cut from the anime/movies. The eclipse will only sting more now.

3HEHNWct.png

uPzmqffm.jpg

* Yay! We now get the sound effects translated!
* Wow at Griffith trying to
'rape' Casca.
* That group Rickert ran into was most probably the group Judeau was with! Nice little detail!
Puck!
Loved the part with him and the fortune teller. It set the mood perfectly!
* I never noticed this before, but is that what I think it is on Slan's chest?!
* The Godhand
being behind the mask of the old lady
in the vision shown to Griffith was a very nice touch.
* Griffith's face when
he seals the deal.
Wow!
* The art in this volume was simply spectacular, especially with how detailed all the demons were!
* The deep themes of fate and destiny, the symbolism, foreshadowing, emotions and scale of everything starting to climax in this volume was perfection!

bW90Nfxt.png

I want to read all the manga, but Amazon has each issue for over $10. I don't feel like spending over $300 to read everything. Are there deals anywhere for the complete set (so far?)

I want to read all the manga, but Amazon has each issue for over $10. I don't feel like spending over $300 to read everything. Are there deals anywhere for the complete set (so far?)

Every Christmas sale Rightstuf usually sells a bundle of like 1-10, 11-20, 21-30, and 31-37 for like $7 a pop. That's how I bought mine.

Hehe, thank you for this. it makes me feel as I am reading it for the first time.

No problem. I still like doing them, and so long as you guys keep reading them I'll keep going. At the moment I'm finding it really hard to pace myself when reading each volume. Before I could go a good week without reading the next volume - but now I'm struggling to go one day without reading a volume! I need to make this last as long as possible. I'm gonna be so depressed when I catch up to the latest chapter! : (

LaneDS

No problem. I still like doing them, and so long as you guys keep reading them I'll keep going. At the moment I'm finding it really hard to pace myself when reading each volume. Before I could go a good week without reading the next volume - but now I'm struggling to go one day without reading a volume! I need to make this last as long as possible. I'm gonna be so depressed when I catch up to the latest chapter! : (

Yeah definitely take your time, and I'll chime in and say that I'm still enjoying reading your impressions (last batch reminded me to re-read volume 11 as I don't remember that section very well at all).

Azuran

Banned

Enjoy every single moment as much as you can. It will only get tougher to pace yourself as you go since you're going to start reading stuff that's never been adapted.

* I loved how Casca
grabbed Gut's hand,
then latter
grabbed his cape.
Great character development!

This reminded me one of the many pointless changes the movies make. In the second one she grabs her cloak instead of his hands. And later on (you haven't got there yet) there's a small moment where he remembers those situations while looking at his amputated arm.

Do we still have a long way to go before there's enough content for volume 38?

Volume 37 ended with 333. Considering the usual 9 episodes per volume , when 342 is released there should be enough content. It is expected 338 to be released in the end of the month. Believing the new monthly release schedule , 5 months .

Volume 37 ended with 333. Considering the usual 9 episodes per volume , when 342 is released there should be enough content. It is expected 338 to be released in the end of the month. Believing the new monthly release schedule , 5 months .

I just finished book 17, so I still have a lot to read before I'm caught up, but I'll probably just wait for Dark Horse to publish it instead of reading online.

Wow, so I just finished the birth ceremony chapter and I'm curious about something.
Are there two forms of Griffith now? Femto and the one born from Casca, are they separate entities or the same? I'm thinking separate, but I'm not sure.

LaneDS

Wow, so I just finished the birth ceremony chapter and I'm curious about something.
Are there two forms of Griffith now? Femto and the one born from Casca, are they separate entities or the same? I'm thinking separate, but I'm not sure.

Just one, unless I'm forgetting something key.

Top Bottom