• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

Hey guys, new to Berserk and poster in the OT and just got done with the first volume and I loved it! I got interested in Berserk because of Dark Souls and how Miyazaki was inspired by the this manga. But OMG the very first page is now imprinted in my brain, there is no build up to it or anything is just boom in your face this is Berserk, I liked the second chapter a lot and how not even cute little girls get mercy. At first I though the fairy was a girl but apparently it's a guy, or are fairies asexual? Not that it matters but just wanted to know. I find it funny that they mention some kind of Japanese/Chinese food in this medieval setting or perhaps its my localization version. Anyways I've ordered volumes 2-11 because the publisher here in Mexico release a volume once a month! gotta get up to speed for October!

Fjordson

Hey guys, new to Berserk and poster in the OT and just got done with the first volume and I loved it! I got interested in Berserk because of Dark Souls and how Miyazaki was inspired by the this manga. But OMG the very first page is now imprinted in my brain, there is no build up to it or anything is just boom in your face this is Berserk, I liked the second chapter a lot and how not even cute little girls get mercy. At first I though the fairy was a girl but apparently it's a guy, or are fairies asexual? Not that it matters but just wanted to know. I find it funny that they mention some kind of Japanese/Chinese food in this medieval setting or perhaps its my localization version. Anyways I've ordered volumes 2-11 because the publisher here in Mexico release a volume once a month! gotta get up to speed for October!
Welcome! You're in quite an amazing read.

And yeah, I actually thought Puck was a girl for a while at the beginning.

Tacitus_

Puck is a dude. Here he is with a female fairy

latest

I get that updates to Berserk are slow, but I still think it's a bummer discussion in here isn't more lively.

On topic, volume 22 is my favorite in a while. That reunion was so emotional. Also, new characters are great as well as backstory for Serpico and Farnese.

You'll wake up tomorrow and it's gonna be
2007 and they are just about to start the boat ride

I was thinking today that in 1 year and something it will be 20 years since Casca changed. Kinda insane.

And in a few more it will 20 since i discovered Berserk. What the fuck.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Next chapter October 23. It feels like a fevered dream to be getting consistent releases. It feels like the guillotine is going to drop any minute and they'll stop coming.

RangerBAD

Guts and the crew see land in the distance in the last panel, hiatus for a year, first panel of the new episode after hiatus they reach the land, it turns out it was a mirage...

Sad
(not really)
thing is that I know I'll still be there reading it after the next hiatus and the next and the next... And, of course, The Omega Man will be right.

I actually can't believe how long we have spent in Falconia.

Rakshas putting out the fire with the horse's blood was rad though, reminiscent of when Guts did that with the demon insect eggs in Lost Children Arc

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
we are all in this together bro, this is a support group.
My name is bone and I am addict of long-running top quality dark fantasy fiction that will never end. Berserk and ASOIAF create a void in my life when they don't deliver new content. I have been struggling with this addiction for many years and I hope your support will assist me in battling this addiction.

I actually can't believe how long we have spent in Falconia.

Rakshas putting out the fire with the horse's blood was rad though, reminiscent of when Guts did that with the demon insect eggs in Lost Children Arc
Is that from 340? I haven't read it yet.
My name is bone and I am addict of long-running top quality dark fantasy fiction that will never end. Berserk and ASOIAF create a void in my life when they don't deliver new content. I have been struggling with this addiction for many years and I hope your support will assist me in battling this addiction.

Helloooooo booooooneee, hugs*
There are some refreshments in the table on the back, it's OK now, we've gone trough the same here.

Why's Raksas got a mask on like a BioShock character.

Reading this right now and I can honestly say IDGAF about Guts right now, this focus on characters we haven't seen much of in a long time is GREAT.

Helmholtz

Last few chapters have been alright. But I just feel like the story is developing at such a glacial pace.
I guess it was maybe always like this though? Admittedly I only started reading Berserk around a year ago and was able to marathon most of it. I feel for you guys who have been waiting out hiatuses and dealing with such short chapters.
I almost want to just ignore it for a year and do a short marathon through whatever gets released. But I know I'm probably too impatient and too big a fan of this story to do that :p.
It just bums me out that I get so excited for each new release, and it takes me like 5 minutes to get through.

Personally I'm in no rush to read the new chapters as they're coming out. Probably will get back into reading once volume 38 is out in English. Then I can read two full volumes of Berserk I've never read before! :0

Last few chapters have been alright. But I just feel like the story is developing at such a glacial pace.
I guess it was maybe always like this though? Admittedly I only started reading Berserk around a year ago and was able to marathon most of it. I feel for you guys who have been waiting out hiatuses and dealing with such short chapters.
I almost want to just ignore it for a year and do a short marathon through whatever gets released. But I know I'm probably too impatient and too big a fan of this story to do that :p.
It just bums me out that I get so excited for each new release, and it takes me like 5 minutes to get through.

If you're reading it in 5 minutes , you are reading it way too quickly man. Don't rush it. A good way is actually to dissect the episode through discussion. That helps me.

But that feeling about the pace usually emerges because of the slow release format (accentuated when there's years between episodes) If you read it continuously , it doesnt really reads as slow paced. Quite the contrary. I think the point of view shift the story had in the last couple of years is very fresh too.

Perhaps waiting for a volume is better. Even so , at 5 minutes per episode that's like 45 minutes eheh.

Tizoc

God chapter, so that shadow guy mentioned he'd attack him in a previous chapter right? I was rather confused on why he was attacking him at the start XP
Which got me to ask...who the fuck is this shadow guy again? I remember seeing him before but I can't put my finger on which chapter that was @_@

Anyways, good action, but Guts' still on the fucking boat.

Also, FFS Miura, it's 2015, spare us this clicheness....

God chapter, so that shadow guy mentioned he'd attack him in a previous chapter right? I was rather confused on why he was attacking him at the start XP
Which got me to ask...who the fuck is this shadow guy again? I remember seeing him before but I can't put my finger on which chapter that was @_@

He has appeared quite a lot. First time he appeared, he interacts with Silat. He is a former member of the Bakiraka clan (his dissidence of the Kushans seems to be related with some kind of experimentations on humans they did) , who pledges alliance to Griffith. Seems to be an
apostle
considering his position in the army.

Siegcram

He has appeared quite a lot. First time he appeared, he interacts with Silat. He is a former member of the Bakiraka clan (his dissidence of the Kushans seems to be related with some kind of experimentations on humans they did) , who pledges alliance to Griffith. Seems to be an
apostle
Rakshas has also vowed to kill him, something he reiterated on this chapter. By far the most interesting of the apostles we've seen so far. And his monster form hasn't even come up yet.

Azuran

Banned
Guts and the crew see land in the distance in the last panel, hiatus for a year, first panel of the new episode after hiatus they reach the land, it turns out it was a mirage...

I need this in my life now.

Might as well make Rickert the protagonist at this point since Guts ain't doing anything anytime soon.

Dascu

Rakshas has also vowed to kill him, something he reiterated on this chapter. By far the most interesting of the apostles we've seen so far. And his monster form hasn't even come up yet.

That line made me think Griffith's potential downfall could be through his apostle/monster army turning against him somehow. I think he is governing them through fear. If Griffith can be shown to be not immortal and omnipotent, more monsters might try an uprising to take his place. Would also be sweet poetry for the one who betrayed his Band of the Hawks be betrayed himself by his new comrades.

Also, goddammit Erica.

Siegcram

Well considering most of them are just dudes in armour or some Japanese form of Hawkeye it's not hard to be #1.
I don't know, a Crystal Dragon with a flamethrower shield or a werewolf with integrated bow&arrow is pretty rad in my book.

Rakshas is still my favourite, probably something spider-like in his apostle form. Or he doesn't even have one, seems to be pretty OP so far anyway.

Anyways, good action, but Guts' still on the fucking boat.

Also, FFS Miura, it's 2015, spare us this clicheness....

apostle

He appeared in a key scene for just one panel when Femto faced the Kushan giant apostle, he had no business there and Miura made sure we noticed him there, he is meant for something big, I don't even think he is 100% loyal to Griffith, I don't remember correctly but I think he said once that "when the time time comes I'll kill you too" or something along those lines, he is way different than the other lap dogs apostles.

Top Bottom