• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

JchWVqV.jpg

That looks god awful other than the Dragonslayer itself which actually looks good in that weird 3D style they went with. Really wish we were just getting more manga on a normal schedule, but it's Miura we're talking about so RIP.

Veelk

Banned
That looks god awful other than the Dragonslayer itself which actually looks good in that weird 3D style they went with. Really wish we were just getting more manga on a normal schedule, but it's Miura we're talking about so RIP.

Even the dragonslayer looks off to me. In the last shot, I swear they grew it by half it's length again because it's way longer than Guys is tall.

Who the hell saw that sword and thought "You know what? We need it to be even BIGGER"

It's already been established that they don't know how to adapt this franchise so I don't even know why you're surprised. They change stuff just to change stuff.

Veelk

Banned
I wouldn't know, I only ever read the manga and saw bits and pieces of the movie just to watch certain scenes animated. I didn't see the movies as a cohesive whole.

I actually don't mind for the most part. The logistics in adapting Berserk would be insane (though I still think they ought to go with the Hellsing Ultimate Route and just adapt 1 volume at a time) and I am happy just having the manga. So if they want to just use the movies as a pretense to just animate the particular scenes they want to see, that's fine. I just don't understand why, if that's what they're doing, why they wouldn't make sure to do it well, because that commercial looks butt ugly. I don't care that they changed something. But Guts having a dragonslayer 1.5 times the length of his body.....look, guys, I enjoy phalic symbols of power as much as the next guy, but there comes a point where it gets so big that it stops being intimidating and cool and just starts looking silly.

I've only seen the first and third movie. That shit moves at such a break neck pace that there's almost no sense of levity with it. Guts and Griffith meet and break up in the first fucking movie...the first fucking movie, it's like 90 minutes long tops if I'm not mistaken. It's pretty much just a music video in my opinion and they remove certain things that are very key to Gut's character if I'm not mistaken. Anybody remember if Griffith had his breakdown in the movie in front of Caska during that flashback cause I do not remember.

Moonkid

It really does. Gunslinger Girl (first season) and Claymore got the Madhouse treatment, Berserk...got cgi.
I mean I'll probably end up watching it and recommending it, if it's serviceable, to my friends who are hesitant to jump into the manga, but as far as a legitimate adaptation of Berserk goes it's going in the wrong direction.

Also I just read your posts on the previous page about Ufotable being more preferable. I'm not their biggest fan, but I'd much rather have them because they know how to do a good fight scene.

I mean I'll probably end up watching it and recommending it, if it's serviceable, to my friends who are hesitant to jump into the manga, but as far as a legitimate adaptation of Berserk goes it's going in the wrong direction.

Also I just read your posts on the previous page about Ufotable being more preferable. I'm not their biggest fan, but I'd much rather have them because they know how to do a good fight scene.
They aren't perfect but I've thoroughly enjoyed Fate Stay Night and Fate Zero so I can't complain too heavily with what they do. Besides the artwork looks nice and Saber and Irisviel are in my shipping fleet.

Yeah sorry, but Berserk in Ufotable's hands with their overuse of shockwave effects and speedy effects is not something I would want. Completely goes against the sort of feel I think Berserk should have.

Plus, I have no idea how ufotable works with designs that aren't relatively simple like the fate series.

Yeah sorry, but Berserk in Ufotable's hands with their overuse of shockwave effects and speedy effects is not something I would want. Completely goes against the sort of feel I think Berserk should have.

Plus, I have no idea how ufotable works with designs that aren't relatively simple like the fate series.
Would still look better than the damn movies. I'd prefer Madhouse myself or fucking Production IG but Ufotable's not ugly, just stylized.

dan2026

God Hand help me even with the middling CGI I am still hyped for this.
I have been waiting forever for a Berserk anime that isnt just the freaking Golden Age arc.

Nibel

Kinda fitting how the last chapter ends
with a sword slash, like Miura saying "I'm gon cut you thirsty ass fuckers off again just because I can"
KuGsj.gif

This is excellent... Is there a legal way to buy the MP3s? Tried iTunes and Amazon and cannot seem to find it
Unless you're using Asian/JPN iTunes, I don't think so.

I've only seen the first and third movie. That shit moves at such a break neck pace that there's almost no sense of levity with it. Guts and Griffith meet and break up in the first fucking movie...the first fucking movie, it's like 90 minutes long tops if I'm not mistaken. It's pretty much just a music video in my opinion and they remove certain things that are very key to Gut's character if I'm not mistaken. Anybody remember if Griffith had his breakdown in the movie in front of Caska during that flashback cause I do not remember.
First movie is actually about 75mins, but I think it ends with Guts hearing Griffith talk about a true friend to the princess.

I just can't get excited for the anime project knowing it's contributing to another hiatus. sigh

think of it this way, a hiatus was going to happen again regardless, we just got an anime while we wait, you're delusional if you though Miura was going to be on a regular schedule from now on.

Ay yo thanks to everyone for keeping the Berserk OT going for the entirety of 2015.

Let's all wish plenty of inspiration to Miura for 2016 and forward.

You guys need to get used to the inconsistent release schedule, six months or so is nothing if you've been following this series for a while, it practically feels like a nice break honestly.

Unless you're using Asian/JPN iTunes, I don't think so.

First movie is actually about 75mins, but I think it ends with Guts hearing Griffith talk about a true friend to the princess.
Oh yeah that makes more sense. I probably just left it at that because it showed the fight in the preview to movie 2 and I just left it alone cause of manga knowledge.
I mean if we're going by those stats our top spammer is Jaded.
Lol I do my best/worst. I'm already turning into "that guy" in the Naruto anime thread.

Special thanks to Tricky I Shadow for keeping the topic alive when the comic wasn't.

f2BHENG.jpg

I find it quite difficult to articulate the vast appeal Berserk holds for me. It's just pure quality from top to bottom. I was first exposed to it just last year, and it has so intensely changed the way I view the world and my life since then. Literally - it is one of the cornerstones in my inner world. I consistently refer to it as a source of internal symbols and meanings.

I can analyse aspects of the story for hours. It actually increases my interest, cumulatively, and keeps me thinking "Man, this Miura guy is a storytelling, character weaving, universe crafting genius!" I can't think of many other things that have had this effect on me. It can be a great work of art, able to stand on it's own merits with awesome execution, artistry or poise, but still, I often find it pales in comparison to the power Berserk has had on me. Berserk is a whole universe in it's own right, and not just in the typical fictional sense. Everything seems to be carefully thought out, and there's a heap of subtlety. I also think a large part of it is Miura's willingness to explore various existential problems such as the meaning of struggle, overwhelming despair, and the darker aspects of humanity.

It has offered heaps of inspiration. There is this deep sense of truth that resounds throughout the story. From incredibly intimate and personal levels, to incredibly vast and metaphysical (yet metaphysical doesn't just mean arbitrary hocus pocus, one can actually extrapolate the metaphysical things for themselves, and have it make so much sense! It's logical and plausible and appeals to the patterns and such that I see in the world). It's just extremely rich, and in many ways it mirrors (and also redefined) the philosophy I've held, about existentialism/suffering, archetypes, the existence of evil (the idea of it) and how all of them are wrought from humanity.

It blows my mind when I think that this is all the work of just one man. I was never previously interested in manga, but Berserk showed to me just how masterfully it can be done, and how much can be conveyed just from a few panels. Also, the art! THE ART! I don't think I need to say anything more about the wonderful art.

Blah, this amounted to more of a "Berserk is just an effing masterpiece" than me specifically saying why. If I was a more patient person, I could write paragraphs and paragraphs trying to encapsulate the essence of Berserk's awesomeness, from the smallest of minutia, to large/overriding themes or motifs, but I don't think this would be doing anyone any favors, as I have a tendency to be long winded or verbose, and by all means, I feel the work should speak for itself. I'm so glad I discovered it for myself!

Whelp all caught up. Time to begin my long ass wait for the next chapter. I'll be reading claymore and posting about Naruto in the meantime I guess.

Veelk

Banned
You know what would make for a cool fanfic? If Guts was the one with the Crimson Behelit. It'd be pretty easy to do, as the dynamic of the two characters is set to mirror each other, so all you'd need to mention that things mostly worked out how they did in the manga, but Guts was the one with the behelit instead. All that would really be needed is to put pressure on Gut's desire for freedom from Griffith and have him lose the duel in the snow. At having his dream (or rather, quest for a dream) crushed, he'd fall into a dark mood like Griffith did and have him and Caska grow closer instead of further, and Guts has no out, so he starts lashing out. Hell, he might let it slip that he killed the King's brother and nephew publically so he needs to pay for his actions, but Griffith refuses, and things fall out like they did before, but this time with the role reversed. Same general things happen and Guts is the one who ascends instead, and you have Griffith instead now being the one whose hounded down by demons.

If someone did something like this and it isn't terribly written, send it my way, as it sounds like an interesting experiment to perform with the series.

Laputa_94

Finally got around to reading the latest chapter now I can feel empty inside until summer. Especially since that anime isn't looking too hot.

Yeah, but it feels slightly implied in the comic. However, at the same time they don't know they're related (right?).
I'm pretty sure they know since it was revealed to Farnese in a flashback. I don't know if Serpico knows...actually I think he knows too. I think they know or at the very least one of them knows that they're half siblings. Hell Farnese was the one that set his mother on fire...knowingly.

Top Bottom