• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

If there's one thing that annoys me deeply is that we never get to see the proper introduction to the DS. It's like everyone is fucking with us. This can be the third adaptation and we are going to, yet again, jump a great moment. A perfect prologue that starts Gut's travelings through Midland.

As he sees a big slab of iron, he grabs it and

3BYkEHo.jpg

How hard can it be?

Tizoc

If there's one thing that annoys me deeply is that we never get to see the proper introduction to the DS. It's like everyone is fucking with us. This can be the third adaptation and we are going to, yet again, jump a great moment. A perfect prologue that starts Gut's travelings through Midland.

3BYkEHo.jpg

How hard can it be?

Man I loved that part in the manga; Guts meeting his new best fried for life.
And we don't get it animated...

3BYkEHo.jpg

How hard can it be?
The first of many many things to be hacked in half by Dragon Slayer, that pig demon should be honored.

Getting ready for the new anime series
You have 2 options: Either read the manga, published in print by Dark Horse, or by watching the recent movie Trilogy.
Alt. You have the older anime series which covered the Golden Age story arc, however this initial adaptation cut out some stuff from the manga...which the movie trilogy is also guilty of, as it didn’t adapt some of the stuff from the manga as well such as
Silat fighting Guts in a tournament

I can not condone this foolery. The old anime is far far far preferable to the movies.

I don't like the music in this trailer.

The song in the first 25 seconds is awesome and totally fits Berserk. It's either Hirasawa or Sagisu trying really hard to sound like Hirasawa. The second song is very much Sagisu's work with his trademark booming choirs and loud guitar solos that might as well be in any Evangelion Rebuild movie. It's an improvement over the boring drivel he composed for the Berserk movie trilogy.

As for the 9mm Parabellum Bullet song... It could grow on me, but it's super generic for sure.

They're really skipping arcs? WTF. This is an anime that should have gotten the Naruto treatment and draw it out. What's the rush? New manga chapters never come out.

Nibel

I mean yeah, this might not be the perfect 1:1 anime adaption fans wanted, but I can live with the animation quality and metal music if the essences of the characters remain untouched and that seems to be the case. Also, love all those Dragonslayer shots with camera pans and shit

Isn't it way too early to say we'll not get a Dragonslayer intro? They could make it a flashback, even.

I can not condone this foolery. The old anime is far far far preferable to the movies.
Only because the series will have to follow those because of Skull Knight. My recommendation for those not interested in manga would be '97 series and the final movie for the Skull Knight scenes plus ending.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
The salt from Berserk fans is sad. We're finally getting an anime adaption of post Golden Age material and folks are getting caught up on small details.

We'll never see a 1:1 manga adaption. Make your peace with that. Then enjoy what we get - for we're really lucky to finally get ANYTHING. Heck, even the most hardcore fan can find solace in the new manga chapters coming out. There's something here for everyone, really.

convo

The salt from Berserk fans is sad. We're finally getting an anime adaption of post Golden Age material and folks are getting caught up on small details.

We'll never see a 1:1 manga adaption. Make your peace with that. Then enjoy what we get - for we're really lucky to finally get ANYTHING. Heck, even the most hardcore fan can find solace in the new manga chapters coming out. There's something here for everyone, really.

The dreamcast game will have higher production values at this point.
Maybe some AMVs will come out and some fans will enjoy making those but i shall not engage in that. People can enjoy that stuff but most places including this thread won't care for what comes out of this new production. There's no passion and effort from the people who are making the anime to me.

LaneDS

The dreamcast game will have higher production values at this point.
Maybe some AMVs will come out and some fans will enjoy making those but i shall not engage in that. People can enjoy that stuff but most places including this thread won't care for what comes out of this new production. There's no passion and effort from the people who are making the anime to me.

Your post illustrates the point he's trying to make.

People are either upset or glad we're getting something. I side with him and am happy they're making something new, even if it doesn't look great. It's also not out yet, so it's pretty presumptuous to say some of the things folks are saying after a few (admittedly bad looking) trailers.

convo

You shouldn't. Eating the crap you are given doesn't mean you're a fan, it means you're a sucker.

That's a big reason i have stopped watching the One Piece anime and continued enjoying the manga instead. Toei Animation can not be bothered to try besides the movies that come out every so often. Hey it's good enough for japanese kids to catch up on the series, but it's not worth it.
There are examples of superior adaptations in anime so i can not find enjoyment out of something when that thing has less passion put behind it than a Volleyball anime.

Moaradin

The last trailer got me a little excited. It still wasn't optimal, but some of the CG actually looked decent. But then this trailer came out and somehow it looks worse? And they're cutting Lost Children out? Pretty hard to get excited now.

Still gonna watch it. FML.

LaneDS

Why should people be grateful for bad adaptations?

It's less about being grateful and more about judging a book by its cover. The thing isn't out yet, and mostly everyone has made up their mind about it and that's a bummer. Since I feel like I always have to point this out, I too think it looks pretty bad so far but am still hopeful and will give it a chance.

convo

It's less about being grateful and more about judging a book by its cover. The thing isn't out yet, and mostly everyone has made up their mind about it and that's a bummer. Since I feel like I always have to point this out, I too think it looks pretty bad so far but am still hopeful and will give it a chance.

If the best case scenario is going to be the movie trilogy quality, it still won't make people jump in joy. Keeping your expections low is a virtue to giving this thing a chance, but don't expect most people to have hopes for this thing. Anyone who can still be optimistic is obviously still gonna watch it and give their support to the franchise they like.

LaneDS

If the best case scenario is going to be the movie trilogy quality, it still won't make people jump in joy. Keeping your expections low is a virtue to giving this thing a chance, but don't expect most people to have hopes for this thing. Anyone who can still be optimistic is obviously still gonna watch it and give their support to the franchise they like.

That's fair. I don't know why people being so negative in here bums me out, even if I understand why they're being negative.

Siegcram

People have made up their mind about the information available. Not exactly surprising.

I'll be glad if this actually turns out to be good, but not simply because it exists.

Syder

The song in the first 25 seconds is awesome and totally fits Berserk. It's either Hirasawa or Sagisu trying really hard to sound like Hirasawa. The second song is very much Sagisu's work with his trademark booming choirs and loud guitar solos that might as well be in any Evangelion Rebuild movie. It's an improvement over the boring drivel he composed for the Berserk movie trilogy.

As for the 9mm Parabellum Bullet song... It could grow on me, but it's super generic for sure.
Yeah, I meant the second song. I don't think it fits Berserk at all.

(Yeah, I know 'Tell Me Why' doesn't fit Berserk either)

I'm not judging a book by its cover. I'm judging what I've seen. Trash animation, and the episode titles shows huge leaps in the narrative that are absurd as well a pace that seems inadequate.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Best way to experience Berserk for new watchers or people who don't like to read manga:

Black Swordsman manga arc - even non manga readers can stomach how short it is, anime skips over most of it

Golden Age anime

Movie 3 scene with Skull Knight/Eclipse

Manga with Guts getting Dragon Slayer, possibly Lost Children

Boom, ready for the new anime. Required reading is all short enough to hold the attention of even anime only folk. This is how I plan to get my friends into Berserk before the new anime starts

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
One day Netflix will pony up the money for a multiseason adaptation from a talented studio that covers from beginning to well whatever would be done at that point.

Veelk

Banned
I'll say what I said in the main thread.

That is a teaser chosen in very poor choice. It's bad for first impression in general, because despite how pivotal it is, Berserk isn't fundamentally about
Caska's rape
nor will it be the primary gameplay interaction. But far worse is how they sexualized it. Those camera techniques weren't designed to evoke those feelings that we found in the manga. Especially how the camera wound around her breast as the tentacle wrapped around it. Those were meant to arouse.

That is just gross. I love Berserk, I consider it the best manga I've ever read. And a Musou game with a Berserk skin is good news. I'll be getting it. But this is the worst possible advertisement for it, and this shit should be universally shamed at this point.

Moonkid

To be honest I'm just in disbelief right now Veelka, it's surreal yet not entirely surprising that this is how they'd lure gamers in. There's just so many things wrong with it, holy fucking shit.

I'll say what I said in the main thread.

That is a teaser chosen in very poor choice. It's bad for first impression in general, because despite how pivotal it is, Berserk isn't fundamentally about
Caska's rape
nor will it be the primary gameplay interaction. But far worse is how they sexualized it. Those camera techniques weren't designed to evoke those particular feelings. Especially how the camera wound around her breast as the tentacle wrapped around it. Those were meant to arouse.

That is just gross. I love Berserk, I consider it the best manga I've ever read. And a Musou game with a Berserk skin is good news. I'll be getting it. But this is the worst possible advertisement for it, and this shit should be universally shamed at this point.

Yep, it's gross especially for such an emotionally devastating moment.

Yeah choosing the rape scene is a really weird pick. It's gross, using that moment like that. Kind of like the Berserk movies way overglorifying it. Should've just been a slow pan of the dragonslayer.

Veelk

Banned
Yeah choosing the rape scene is a really weird pick. It's gross, using that moment like that. Kind of like the Berserk movies way overglorifying it. Should've just been a slow pan of the dragonslayer.

Or hell, if they really wanted to reference that event, they could have shown the Eclipse with some Apostles showing up. That would be more relevant to the game itself anyway, as that's what your going to be fighting.

Matsukaze

My ideal trailer would have been to set the camera at the base of the Dragon Slayer, slowly pan upwards across the length of the blade, then take in Guts's hand and upper torso before finally settling on his face, preferably this:

Top Bottom