• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

Berserk games almost write by themselves. You could start at Doldrey, Guts splits up and just roaming trough Midland. Ends with the rescue and Eclipse. Second game is Black Swordsman. You could have some prequel based on a bunch of mercenaries while the Band of Falcon keeps amassing victories. After it you just follow the group.

If there was one annoying thing about the ps2 game is how repetitive it was. I remember I had no idea what to do in a section with the trolls and they just never stopped. No matter how fun is using the dragonslayer, after a while the finger is kinda sore. It seems these Musou games are kinda like that.

Veelk

Banned
I think they avoided the Lost Children arc because the antagonist is a naked 13 year old. I like that arc, but it's no wonder why companies don't want to touch that with a ten foot pole

I think they avoided the Lost Children arc because the antagonist is a naked 13 year old. I like that arc, but it's no wonder why companies don't want to touch that with a ten foot pole

Better keep in the arc with gruesome depictions of torture, a naked girl riding a massive sword and a goat demon orgy ritual then

There's no need whatsoever to sexualize her, so I don't really see the point.

They change things cause they are idiots. That's the reason. The movies are a huge example of this. They change stuff for the sake of it. It's bad creative decisions. They lack talent and ability to translate Miura's work.

For someone completely new to this franchise, would this be a good starting off point?

91mCIr%2BHuqL._SL1500_.jpg

Moaradin

Doesn't an underage girl participate in a giant demon goat orgy in the arc they're adapting? Yeah I don't think Rosine is the reason they're skipping Lost Children.

Really they skipped Lost children because it's not a very strong way to follow up the Golden Age arc. It's one of the early Berserk stories where everything is shitty and nothing of consequence happens.

The Conviction Arc introduces pretty much the entire cast moving forward.

Really they skipped Lost children because it's not a very strong way to follow up the Golden Age arc. It's one of the early Berserk stories where everything is shitty and nothing of consequence happens.

If you don't see Guts downfall and his rage for revenge, how can you present the conflict he has between vengeance and protecting Casca?

Tons of stuff happens. I have no idea how can anyone even say otherwise. These stories are the entire foundation for post-Golden Age and who Guts is. Taking 1 episode before presenting the Holy Iron Chain Knights is a fucking insult to the story.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Don't listen to this person please. Its an incredible strong follow up to the Eclipse, what are you talking about? The whole point is to reiterate how far he is fallen and to show the glimmers of the man beneath all the madness and darkness, not too mention its this kind of stuff that show's you were things like the Beast came form.

It's one of the best arcs in the series, Rosine's story is practically perfect and makes one of the best cases for why the antagonists in Berserk are different from a lot of other antagonists. This new anime skipping it doesn't really bode well for it doing the other characters justice.

HStallion

It's one of the best arcs in the series, Rosine's story is practically perfect and makes one of the best cases for why the antagonists in Berserk are different from a lot of other antagonists. This new anime skipping it doesn't really bode well for it doing the other characters justice.

Well the new anime can't even make Guts look right so I'm not really thinking its going to nail his character and story.

Well the new anime can't even make Guts look right so I'm not really thinking its going to nail his character and story.

You're right, this is just further confirmation, but the point stands. I'm really partial to the Lost Children arc, it's easily some of the most economical/efficient storytelling in Berserk. There's no world where an otherwise good or faithful adaptation failing to adapt it isn't a significant loss.

The first episode is likely going to be the girl and her father in the wagon, so I assume they mean to use that as the tone setter for the series.

Kuroyume

Banned
For someone completely new to this franchise, would this be a good starting off point?

91mCIr%2BHuqL._SL1500_.jpg

I think this is a better starting point than the original anime. The CG stuff gets too much hate specially given that the animation in the original isn't brilliant. I still recommend watching the original anime, but only after you've seen the movies and (ideally) read the manga first.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
I think this is a better starting point than the original anime. The CG stuff gets too much hate specially given that the animation in the original isn't brilliant. I still recommend watching the original anime, but only after you've seen the movies and (ideally) read the manga first.

It's not just the CG, the movies skip way too much compared to tv series, at least there the characters grow unlike the movies which basically is just a summary.

HStallion

The problem with the CG movies isn't just the art style and such but that they kind of butcher Guts' and his entire arc by cutting out extremely important events, mixing up others, and in general kind of losing the plot before the movies even really get going. Was really disappointing as Guts just comes of as a typical loner bad ass instead of the more nuanced and damaged character that he really is.

Syder

It's not just the CG, the movies skip way too much compared to tv series, at least there the characters grow unlike the movies which basically is just a summary.
I feel the same way. There are certain characters from the Golden Age Arc that I feel it's important for newcomers to Berserk to see as much of as possible, whether that's from reading the Manga or seeing the TV Anime series.

The problem with the movies is more that they're hollow/emotionally vacant and breakneck-paced adaptations for dudebros. The old anime could at least hit the right notes tonally and let the characters be actual characters.

Syder

I think the movies could be a starting point for a newcomer but sans the third movie.

Maybe watch Movie 1, if you like it, watch Movie 2, if you like it, STOP and then watch the TV series or read the Manga. Obviously, if you can afford it
(or find it ;-D)
reading the Manga is preferable to anything else but if you're thinking of getting into Berserk and can't afford/don't like Manga then I implore you to watch the TV series. It's imperfections are obvious but no Anime has affected me as profoundly as Oriental Light and Magic's Berserk adaptation.

So I found this on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNjNTjG1mbE

I believe this is the original anime series, remastered? Correct? If so, I'll definitely watch all of these and look into the movies later.

Seems that way. The first episode is made into an epilogue, but don't expect any closure or answers. It says they cut it from 25-12 episodes, so did they merge them?

I highly recommend the sub, by the way. Dub is iffy at times.

Josue

Woah man, the dub voices are iconic. Even though some parts parts are weaker than others, I would always recommend dub first.

I haven't checked out that anime remaster yet but I might use that to introduce people to Berserk. That 16:9 crop is annoying tho.

Moaradin

The dub for the Berserk series is great. Actually prefer it to the sub. The movies keep mostly the same cast with the dub too, while the Japanese voices changed. So that's a plus.

The dub for the Berserk series is great. Actually prefer it to the sub. The movies keep mostly the same cast with the dub too, while the Japanese voices changed. So that's a plus.
My favorite dub actor for the anime was Griffiths. Just based on the outtakes the guy seems like a nutter.

Tizoc

Ok gonna get the draft fixed up a bit and ill post it tomorrow in here for appraisal
Will aska. Mod to have the ot up by the 24th so people can catch up via the manga or previous anime adaptations

HStallion

We should be getting spoilers for the next chapter, even vague ones any day now. The constant question do I read or wait for the beauty of the chapter itself?

Guys please let's not say crazy things. Sub > Dub .

So I found this on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNjNTjG1mbE

I believe this is the original anime series, remastered? Correct? If so, I'll definitely watch all of these and look into the movies later.

Yes it is but that seems to be some kind of recut. Don't watch that. Watch the normal 25 episode show, not some recut 12 episode that cuts the first episode.

Syder

Seems that way. The first episode is made into an epilogue, but don't expect any closure or answers. It says they cut it from 25-12 episodes, so did they merge them?

I highly recommend the sub, by the way. Dub is iffy at times.
Each chapter is about 40 minutes. I don't know if they've cut stuff or just shrunk the 25 episodes down into 12 double-length 'chapters'.

If this cuts stuff out, just watch the original 25 episode TV series.

So I initially started making my way through the manga by grabbing a collection of volumes 1-17 from ebay. I only have the 17th left to read and the story seems to be really getting awesome (Lost Children was so so good)

My question is....what would be a good block to go through next? I'm thinking up through 26 or 27 for the time being

Looking at chapter titles on wikipedia, 26 ends with Berserker Armor but idk if there's some sick battles following it in 27

I don't want specific spoilers or anything but I figured I don't need to break into the dreaded "on a boat" section just yet. Looks like that starts at the end of volume 27 based on the titles (but I could be wrong)

Annoyingly enough instocktrades seems to be missing a couple of volumes (21, i think 26) but I can just grab those from Amazon or something

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Guys please let's not say crazy things. Sub > Dub .

Yes it is but that seems to be some kind of recut. Don't watch that. Watch the normal 25 episode show, not some recut 12 episode that cuts the first episode.
How about those crazy old subs with GATTSU

So I initially started making my way through the manga by grabbing a collection of volumes 1-17 from ebay. I only have the 17th left to read and the story seems to be really getting awesome (Lost Children was so so good)

My question is....what would be a good block to go through next? I'm thinking up through 26 or 27 for the time being

Looking at chapter titles on wikipedia, 26 ends with Berserker Armor but idk if there's some sick battles following it in 27

I don't want specific spoilers or anything but I figured I don't need to break into the dreaded "on a boat" section just yet. Looks like that starts at the end of volume 27 based on the titles (but I could be wrong)

Annoyingly enough instocktrades seems to be missing a couple of volumes (21, i think 26) but I can just grab those from Amazon or something
27, I think. Whichever volume ends the Millennium Falcon empire arc. I just remembered a lull until, maybe, midway through book 30.

How about those crazy old subs with GATTSU

My first Berserk experience was with a bootleg. With the nice Gattsu subs. I went in completely blind. I saw this being sold at an online auction. Got interested, googled it, found a nice image online (Young Guts and Griffith) and bought. The package was pretty nice.

Yes 27, the last episode is the beginning of a new chapter. New arc also starts at 35 so that would be a good point too.

(Berserk structure is Episode-Chapter-Arc)

My first Berserk experience was with a bootleg. With the nice Gattsu subs. I went in completely blind. I saw this being sold at an online auction. Got interested, googled it, found a nice image online (Young Guts and Griffith) and bought. The package was pretty nice.
That's some really nice packaging for a bootleg.

Top Bottom