• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
I'll pass. This looks (cgi+animation) much worse than the movies and at this point I give up for a proper anime adaption which this manga deserves.

I would be all about that being their new game.

Since it was posted in the other thread, posting it here as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih2-9HwHlpw

New preview for the anime.
Guts be like:
09692b0e34f61d6bf6d384bf8278762b.gif

LaneDS

I'm keeping an open mind. Sure, it looks shitty with a disappointing frequency, but it's more animated Berserk and that is exciting. Will give it a fair chance.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Looks like a adult-baby.

Farnese looks very decent in the rape-horse scene

Yeah the CG models really look weird when not viewed from directly in front of them, even slightly angled from above or below and their faces start getting weird.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'll still watch. Although this doesn't look like something that will age well at all.

Tizoc

How is it 2016 and japanese anime is still shit when it comes to cgi at least in this case?
Ive seen western cgi animated series that are better than this @_@

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
How is it 2016 and japanese anime is still shit when it comes to cgi at least in this case?

I think its because the Japanese are trying to directly translate their anime art style over to CGI and that is incredible hard to do. Look at all the crazy work that had to be done to make the latest Guilty Gear look as crisp, clean and consistent as most anime. It was not easy at all and took a ton of extra work to make it all look just right. The great CGI studios tend to make movies that work best with the CGI look and while some do go for a more distinct look its not easy or cheap.

Looks like total garbage.

In these trying times lets all remember that Berserk PS2 game about post Golden Age we never got that looks better then the anime with a monumentally better soundtrack

All CG is hard but there are plenty of series that blend CG with traditional.

Tizoc

Let us take this moment to appreciate rickert bitchslapping griffith
Which is more than guts had ever inflicted to griffith so far :v

I would be all about that being their new game.

Since it was posted in the other thread, posting it here as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih2-9HwHlpw

New preview for the anime.

Firstly, how the hell did I not know that a new Berserk game might be on the way?! Like, what the hell?! I'm really excited now! When it comes to a Berserk game I'll pretty much take absolutely anything! I'm praying the game is indeed Berserk related. The timing of the annoucment in a few days time gives me quite a lot of hope.

Secondly, that new trailer for the anime was bad, like shockingly bad. I don't even know where to begin. It all looked choppy. The 3D looked terrible. The shading looked really ugly. Literally nothing in that trailer looked good to me. **sigh** I'll still watch it - but I don't think they could've done a better job to completely kill the already relatively low hype I had.

Josue

Fuck man this looks pretty disappointing. That weird shading to make it look hand drawn on those ugly models....

I let myself get hyped for this smh

Ima still watch it tho

Moonkid

Yup, I believe he hitches a ride with a young girl and her grandfather?? Then things go awry.

I know I kinda warmed up to the idea of this adaptation, but I think I'd rather just re-read the manga.

If you're fucking with Guts features, fuck him nicely like this

b513876e6cc13112f44e2194a8708f38ea6a58ad_hq.gif

Strong and bulky. Not strangely lean and with a pointy face.

I'll admit that's kind of true to her actual character in certain parts though.

But she's always drawn with very defined features. She's supposed to be very pretty. Not this rounded figure.

It's fucking gorgeous. How he deteriorated himself. How his gear changed. Always ready to fight another day.

Moaradin

Skipping The Count I expected. That stuff happens before Berserk even starts proper and it's not that great anyways.

Skipping Lost Children though? Unforgivable.

Why actually are they cutting out the count fight? It's when Guts meets Femto again.

The same reason we got a fucking awful movie trilogy. A bunch of idiots. The Count is a perfect intro to Berserk world and Gut's quest. It's a lean, action-oriented story, in a terrifying environment. There's no hold back in Berserk.

How the fuck are the Holy Iron Chain Knights going to capture Guts if he hasnt been battling for days?

im mad this anime even exists. skipping lost children is bullshit, that arc is fantastic. Itd be like if during HxH 2011 they said "eh we're just gonna stop after greed island and not do chimaera ants"

its amazing the well wasn't poisoned after the thoroughly mediocre movies but now its just fucked.

Moonkid

Yeah count me in for being disappointed by its omission. The arc served as a nice segue way into the wider world, and it's the last time we have a smaller scale, more intimate story before politics and such are introduced.

Tizoc

Netflix should do like a Kickstarter or Fig crowdfunding a few years later so we can get a definitive Berserk anime.
Stretch Goal: Liam O'brian as the voice of Guts...or Griffith. Whichever fits his sexy voice.

At any rate, her is the draft for the Berserk OT, let me know what y'all think, and let me know if I should add Casca and Griffith to the character list:

What is Berserk
Berserk is a Dark Fantasy series by Kentaro Miura, set in a Medieval European setting. The manga began publication in 1989, and while it did have animated adaptations they mainly focused on the Golden Age arc which told of Guts and Griffith's past.
This new anime adaptation, taking place a few years after the final events of the Golden Age arc, following Guts on an epic quest to find the perfect boat to get stranded on the vast oceans, The Black Swordsman, as he hunts down the demonic God Hand and their many monstrous Apostles.
To face off against the many demonic spirits and monsters that hunt and haunt him, Guts is armed with a metallic arm canon, a repeating auto crossbow and a giant slab of iron dubbed the 'Dragon Slayer'. Also his Elf companion Puck who can deal with a few weaker evil spirits, has healing powers, and offers some nice comic relief to an otherwise dark and grim series.

Getting ready for the new anime series
You have 2 options: Either read the manga, published in print by Dark Horse, or by watching the recent movie Trilogy.
Alt. You have the older anime series which covered the Golden Age story arc, however this initial adaptation cut out some stuff from the manga...which the movie trilogy is also guilty of, as it didn’t adapt some of the stuff from the manga as well such as
Silat fighting Guts in a tournament

About the new anime series
It should be noted that this new series will ALSO skip some stuff from the manga as seen in the episode list that’s gone online.
While this might seem off putting at first, hell this is a Berserk anime, expect the following:
Kickass action and fights
Gore
Nudity and Sex (mostly rape really)
Guts ripping and blasting demons and monsters to shreds and bits
The core primary story and characterization being adapted

You’re still bound to have a good time watching this adaptation as long as you’re up to date via either the trilogy movies or the manga.

Where to watch
The anime will be made available through Crunchyroll.com

The cast

Guts is the Black Swordsman, a big, burly, manly, badass who doesn't take shit from anybody and would very much want to be left alone.
He was once a prolific member of the mercenary group, Band of the Hawk, until the entire troupe were mutilated by demons, as sacrificial offerings to the God Hand during an event known as The Eclipse. Surviving this mad ordeal, he now journies through the land hunting the Apostles until he can exact his vengeance against them.
Because of the brand on his neck acting like a magnet for the many evil spirits across Midland, he hardly can get a moment's rest for they can even torment him in his sleep. As such he sleeps only during the day and every waking moment has his him hunting for the Apostles, his one link to getting closer to the God Hand, from daybreak til sunrise.

Puck is introduced as being of the Elf race (the manga has been refering to him as an Elf for so long we just stuck with it despite the more appropriate term being Fairy or Pixie. One could argue that Fae is more fitting). He is Guts' companion and has been following him throughout his journey, heroically, according to him at least, protecting Guts from the dark spirits that would otherwise devour him.

In reality, Puck is curious about Guts; able to sense human emotion he became intrigued by all the dark thoughts and trauma that Guts has been holding in that, having nothing else better to do, decides to tag alongside him, much to Guts' dismay.
Puck was intended to be part of the series since the early prototype that Miura drew in '88, and over time he became a fan favourite, whose comic relief doesn't take away from the seriousness of the plot of the events unfolding.

Farnese, Serpico & Azan
These trio lead the Holy Iron Chain Knights, a group tasked with investigating and hunting down the Black Swordsman under direct order from the VaticanHoly See.

Isidro
A young boy who wants to make it big in the world through his own strength and sword, by any means necessary (including cheating his way to victory). After seeing Guts in action, he becomes enamored by him and starts to tail him in order to become a stronger warrior.

Josue

If you're trying to introduce someone to Berserk with that OT, it feels a little spoilery doesn't it?

I like the descriptions otherwise

Tizoc

If you're trying to introduce someone to Berserk with that OT, it feels a little spoilery doesn't it?

I like the descriptions otherwise

What spoilery stuff would that be if you don't mind me asking? I could tone them down.

frontovik

Banned
Finally I have a reason to use Crunchyroll again. It's been years...

I think the last time I used it was to watch Attack on Titan & Naruto Shippuden.

Top Bottom