• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
How does Miyazaki find the time to draw that well? The only mangas I've read through so far have been Naruto and Claymore and the artwork just pales in comparison.

The author of Vagabond is excellent in both his details, style and consistency. Miura sounds like the definition of a Mangaka, his life is his manga and he bemoans it at times as he's in his early 40's and still single. Sounds like he doesn't get out much at all. One of my dream events at a convention would actually be getting the guy to come to the US and do a Q and A and maybe sign autographs and all that stupid shit. Would be nice just to get to show the guy the appreciation he deserves and see him in person.

He's stupid hard to get ahold of. The mods at the Skullknight forums actually got a letter together with questions from the fans and sent it to his publisher and Young Animal. They got a polite response back from the publisher but no response from Miura.

The author of Vagabond is excellent in both his details, style and consistency. Miura sounds like the definition of a Mangaka, his life is his manga and he bemoans it at times as he's in his early 40's and still single. Sounds like he doesn't get out much at all. One of my dream events at a convention would actually be getting the guy to come to the US and do a Q and A and maybe sign autographs and all that stupid shit. Would be nice just to get to show the guy the appreciation he deserves and see him in person.

He's stupid hard to get ahold of. The mods at the Skullknight forums actually got a letter together with questions from the fans and sent it to his publisher and Young Animal. They got a polite response back from the publisher but no response from Miura.
Maybe if the guy left his house other than to buy IdolM@ster he wouldn't be single still. Oddly enough It seems like other mangaka find the time to actually have something resembling a life. His work is his passion I guess.

Syder

How does Miyazaki find the time to draw that well? The only mangas I've read through so far have been Naruto and Claymore and the artwork just pales in comparison.
Back in the day, when I first picked up Berserk it was one of my first Manga series and I didn't know the author wrote the story and drew the artwork. Miura's 2-page spreads could go in art galleries.

Back in the day, when I first picked up Berserk it was one of my first Manga series and I didn't know the author wrote the story and drew the artwork. Miura's 2-page spreads could go in art galleries.
There are those that can't even do either. The dude doing Boruto with him garish zombie Hinata is horrible.

HStallion

There are those that can't even do either. The dude doing Boruto with him garish zombie Hinata is horrible.

Naruto and everything related to it is larger than the Mangaka now. Its a machine at this point, a soulless money making machine. The anime is even worse

Naruto and everything related to it is larger than the Mangaka now. Its a machine at this point, a soulless money making machine. The anime is even worse
There's no love in it. Pretty much when I finished the manga I really just stopped caring about the anime. I know how it ended and flamed it with the mangaka.

Lol I remember when they were still on their way to the boat...

I started to follow the releases during the Trolls.

I'm not sure I could have handle this, I basically picked up the manga when the movie series were announced which was ~5 years ago jeez that went fast and slow (for the manga).

It's like my personal boat journey :)

Same here. My brother picked up the Dreamcast game on a whim way back in the day, and then just so happened to come across one of the Berserk anime DVDs not long after. He eventually introduced the anime to me (I hated the first episode but kept watching cause he made such a big deal about it). Then a little while after that Dark Horse announced they were releasing the manga in the US. Followed Berserk closely ever since.

Was probably around 15 or 16 at that point. Almost 30 years old now! I hope the manga finishes before I turn 50...

Very similar timeframe and ages. Feels kinda surreal how old I am cause of shit like this.

Breads

Banned

He doesn't just draw well. Some of his works are also epic in scale. Rarely do I ever feel the weight of hundreds or even thousands of soldiers in a comic scene in the way Miura does it.

And by rarely I mean I've only got that feeling consistently from Berserk.

I wasn't a fan of that side comic though. Most of it was fine but two things really stuck out that I could not get over while reading it.

The fan service of an uncomfortably underaged character and the implication that he drinks her bodily fluids... which also make her appear younger every time fluid is spent.

Josue

I just listened to the music from the ps2 game, and I really like Sign and Sign II. There are some pretty good songs from both games.

He doesn't just draw well. Some of his works are also epic in scale. Rarely do I ever feel the weight of hundreds or even thousands of soldiers in a comic scene in the way Miura does it.

And by rarely I mean I've only got that feeling consistently from Berserk.

I wasn't a fan of that side comic though. Most of it was fine but two things really stuck out that I could not get over while reading it.

The fan service of an uncomfortably underaged character and the implication that he drinks her bodily fluids... which also make her appear younger every time fluid is spent.
I like the amount of care and detail he puts in. Some of it is straight up gothic horror but at the same time he makes sure it's still really pretty looking...it's not always the case depending on what he's trying to evoke, but his work has come a long way since the first volume.

Tizoc

OK
OT is ready
made a quick lazy banner but otherwise
I'd like to put it up soon so that more people can catch up and be ready for the new anime.
Should I ask a mod again t put it up now or just wait til a day before the show airs?

HStallion

Looks like translations are out for the new episode. Talk about an info dump! We haven't gotten this much info on the state of the world or anything else since the group met up with Flora years ago. Some real juicy info like Ged, the old man on the goat, talking about how the Elf King predicted Puck bringing Guts and crew back to the island, though in vaguer more mysterious terms and one of the new witches stating that the Elf King could go into Casca's mind through a "corridor/gallery" and restore her memories and original self.

HStallion

Seems there is a discussion on whether Miura has switched over to a digital medium for Berserk though others are stating its probably just one of his assistants being a bit lazy in how they were doing things. Who knows. Just a tid bit.

Also seems Puck was a pretty big prankster when he was on Elfhelm.

Breads

Banned
Considering the variety of screen tones on display, the white/ negative effects, and indeed some of the text effects it is at the very least partially digital. Although a lot of what I'm seeing can indeed still be done with inks, paint, and razorblades the rake brushes being used in the later chapters have no real media equivalent as far as I know.

There are some straight up bad effects though. Like resized/ poorly rendered/ filtered/ matte/ 3d background elements filling up the negative space on some of the backgrounds. Effects at this level aren't used often but a few things did stand out.

HStallion

Considering the variety of screen tones on display, the white/ negative effects, and indeed some of the text effects it is at the very least partially digital. Although a lot of what I'm seeing can indeed still be done with inks, paint, and razorblades the rake brushes being used in the later chapters have no real media equivalent as far as I know.

There are some straight up bad effects though. Like resized/ poorly rendered/ filtered/ matte/ 3d background elements filling up the negative space on some of the backgrounds.

I've only read a low quality version of the episode so I'm not sure if the issues I was seeing were with the poor quality if Miura might be getting a bit sloppy. Though that said his sloppy work is still leagues better than most manga out there.

Breads

Banned
I don't think it's Miura though.

I've never seen him do things like this before. If so I haven't noticed until now.

Ni9qRC5.png

That said he is still amazing. Personally I am rather fond of the thicker more brush pen feel of the inks anyway and I think they compliment the bolder screen tones well. It's just the things like what was noted above that standout. I will give the benefit of the doubt though since yeah, the cleanup process of scanning can butcher said images. If I could get my hands on the manga right now I would but I had to go check the art out (haven't actually read the latest chapter yet) so all I'm going on are possibly bad scans.

HStallion

I've never seen him do things like this before. If so I haven't noticed until now.

Ni9qRC5.png

Might be one of his assistants getting lazy and he didn't go over their work like he usually does. Maybe he's spending more time on the new game and anime than we originally thought?

mcz117chief

Another chapter and pretty much nothing happened. All we were told is either pretty insignificant or we knew it already, a couple of new characters but the plot didn't really move at all, they just moved from one place to another with the new character answering to everything with "I will tell you once we are in the village". :/

Tizoc

Another chapter and pretty much nothing happened. All we were told is either pretty insignificant or we knew it already, a couple of new characters but the plot didn't really move at all, they just moved from one place to another with the new character answering to everything with "I will tell you once we are in the village". :/

Eh it did feature a little world building with the Magic User Community/Village.

next chapter July 15 or July 22?

Hey at least we know we're getting a chapter in July X3

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

Ni9qRC5.png

That said he is still amazing. Personally I am rather fond of the thicker more brush pen feel of the inks anyway and I think they compliment the bolder screen tones well. It's just the things like what was noted above that standout. I will give the benefit of the doubt though since yeah, the cleanup process of scanning can butcher said images. If I could get my hands on the manga right now I would but I had to go check the art out (haven't actually read the latest chapter yet) so all I'm going on are possibly bad scans.

its fine tho

the less work the better.

Yeah this chapter looked subpar. Not only the digital effects but the panel work is just awful. Why is every panel stacked on top of another like that? And on a sequential storytelling level? Forget about it.

HStallion

Yeah this chapter looked subpar. Not only the digital effects but the panel work is just awful. Why is every panel stacked on top of another like that? And on a sequential storytelling level? Forget about it.

Miura was never the best at paneling and transitions. He tends to do better at depicting several actions in a single panel which can sometimes make it busy and hard to read if you're not able to visualize the motions but I love it, makes for some kinetic artwork. I think the Hill of Swords is a great example with Guts and Zod trading multiple blows in a single image and having several ghostly afterimages superimposed over one another to show each and every blow and the transition to the next.

latest

Miura was never the best at paneling and transitions. He tends to do better at depicting several actions in a single panel which can sometimes make it busy and hard to read if you're not able to visualize the motions but I love it, makes for some kinetic artwork. I think the Hill of Swords is a great example with Guts and Zod trading multiple blows in a single image and having several ghostly afterimages superimposed over one another to show each and every blow and the transition to the next.

latest

It's always been an issue but it's at least somewhat better in the action chapters. These long talking chapters just draaaaag because there so many landscape shots, and so many group panels.

HStallion

It's always been an issue but it's at least somewhat better in the action chapters. These long talking chapters just draaaaag because there so many landscape shots, and so many group panels.

I don't mind usually, Miura's 2 page spreads are some of the best around even if they don't get too much story across or make for great plot advancement. I expect the next couple episodes will be mostly story and info dumps. We are finally in a place full of magic users who all seem powerful and knowledgeable. The last time we met one experienced magic user we learned a ton about the way the world, magic and a lot of other things worked. Now we are in a village full and of course there is the Elf King himself. We are probably going to learn a lot even if its not very action packed.

I actually hope we finally learn something about the Godhand from the people on Elfhelm

Momentary

Banned
Book 29 was in stock today for probably 3 hours. I nabbed a copy "I hope" before it went out of stock again. I also pulled out the collection I have from our moving boxes today.

20160625_195209_zpsoooadlpb.jpg

Syder

Book 29 was in stock today for probably 3 hours. I nabbed a copy "I hope" before it went out of stock again. I also pulled out the collection I have from our moving boxes today.

20160625_195209_zpsoooadlpb.jpg
Nice work. I lost 6 volumes about a month after an unfortunate incident with a glass of milk.

images

Seems there is a discussion on whether Miura has switched over to a digital medium for Berserk though others are stating its probably just one of his assistants being a bit lazy in how they were doing things. Who knows. Just a tid bit.

Also seems Puck was a pretty big prankster when he was on Elfhelm.
If it gets the manga to the end, I don't care if he switches to clip art.

Hey guys.

I watched the anime series with 25 episodes. Should I read all 344 Manga's now?

Also, the new CGI Berserk, is a series or movie and where/when does it take place, without spoilers please.

Hey guys.

I watched the anime series with 25 episodes. Should I read all 344 Manga's now?

Also, the new CGI Berserk, is a series or movie and where/when does it take place, without spoilers please.
Yes read the manga, you'd be surprised by what the anime left out. The new series is a series. It takes place after the golden age arc.

Just finished chapter 1-8.....WOW...starting with a bang. I can already tell this is gonna be much deeper and more complex then the anime (90's). Guts is such a good character :eek:

Alright thanks. Well, the anime series basically felt like a prologue.
You should...um...just read it from the beginning. The anime left a lot of crucial plot details out in my opinion. The surface is the same don't get me wrong, but the anime cut out a good portion of Guts' back story and the pre Eclipse stuff is wildly different compared to the tame happenings of the anime.

HStallion

You should...um...just read it from the beginning. The anime left a lot of crucial plot details out in my opinion. The surface is the same don't get me wrong, but the anime cut out a good portion of Guts' back story and the pre Eclipse stuff is wildly different compared to the tame happenings of the anime.

And it leaves out the Skull Knight and everyone's favorite dick tongued gorilla man.

tokkun

The fight that came from pens mouth was one of my favorites and that's before Guts got gud.

All of the fights were better when Guts was just an exceptionally tough normal guy. They actually had to get creative and employ strategy when fighting the apostles. The battles are the most boring part of the series now that Guts has the auto-win armor.

All of the fights were better when Guts was just an exceptionally tough normal guy. They actually had to get creative and employ strategy when fighting the apostles. The battles are the most boring part of the series now that Guts has the auto-win armor.
I mean yeah I definitely see your point, but how would Guts beat for instance Grunbeld without the Berserker Armor? He'd just get flattened. The current apostles are just too OP to tank without the his current armor.

HStallion

You might want to reread the manga then because it's not auto win when it damn near kills him each time and he sometimes goes literally berserk and tries to murder his comrades. He needs Schierke just to have a chance of keeping him sane and bringing him back to the real world. Even still many fights are fought with Guts and crew thinking on their feet.

If anything Guts is weak as ever and only managing because of the armor and his friends. When he is out of battle sometimes he can barely feed himself.

Momentary

Banned
I mean yeah I definitely see your point, but how would Guts beat for instance Grunbeld without the Berserker Armor? He'd just get flattened. The current apostles are just too OP to tank without the his current armor.

He could go toe to toe with Grunbeld in human form. The first time they fought, he had just gotten messed up by Slan beforehand.

The new episode feels a little surreal. Lot's of interesting new information. Miura's setting the ground for the new paths Berserk's story going to take.

tokkun

He would not be able to just take him on in a head-to-head fight - that's my point. Miura would have to come up with something creative for Guts to survive that fight, rather than just giving him super strength and speed from the armor. That's why the battles against OG Zodd and Rude were so gripping, because they were just so overwhelmingly outmatched that you had no idea how the Band of the Hawk was going to survive.

You might want to reread the manga then because it's not auto win when it damn near kills him each time and he sometimes goes literally berserk and tries to murder his comrades. He needs Schierke just to have a chance of keeping him sane and bringing him back to the real world. Even still many fights are fought with Guts and crew thinking on their feet.

If anything Guts is weak as ever and only managing because of the armor and his friends. When he is out of battle sometimes he can barely feed himself.

I'm well aware of those details, I just don't find them compelling because I don't feel like they are handled in any sort of consistent way. There don't seem to be any clear guidelines to the reader about when there is any sort of consequence to using it, and It only seems to cause Guts problems when it is convenient to the story (which has been barely ever so far). Because the reader doesn't know the rules, it can be used as a deus ex machina whenever Miura needs it.

Top Bottom