• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

Famassu

Yeah, it was pretty easy to anticipate that this kind of lightning-fast pace wouldn't continue for too long before a long break again...

Until it's announced in September or October that the next chapter will be released in April 2017.

;<

Hopefully not quite as late as April 2017, though.

Not only the anime is dogshit but it's also affecting the release schedule? Fuck that horrendous thing.

It makes sense commercially, so I understand it. But i hate it so much.

Nah, it'll just fade from your conciousness, only bubbling back up when there's updates.

You get used to it.
I kind of just assume Togashi never updates HxH though even when he does update it I don't even register it. I at least notice the Berserk hiatuses. Doesn't put me in a bad mood though. I think it's been on two so far since I've started reading it. I just find other things to plug up the hole.

Famassu

It just gets to a point where you don't really care, most of the time, unless you keep actively participating in discussions about it
why am I in this thread?
. At this point I'm mostly just apathetic about stuff like Berserk and ASOIAF. If Berserk ever ends or GRRM actually manages to get Winds of Winter published (Dreamofspringlolololololol), cool. If not, I've kind of managed to accept that it's getting unlikelier that we'll see the end of these stories. Every new chapter of Berserk is really just a tiny drop of optimism in a sea of apathy that I feel towards these stories' continuation nowadays.

Veelk

Banned
It just gets to a point where you don't really care, most of the time, unless you keep actively participating in discussions about it
why am I in this thread?
. At this point I'm mostly just apathetic about stuff like Berserk and ASOIAF. If Berserk ever ends or GRRM actually manages to get Winds of Winter published (Dreamofspringlolololololol), cool. If not, I've kind of managed to accept that it's getting unlikelier that we'll see the end of these stories. Every new chapter of Berserk is really just a tiny drop of optimism in a sea of apathy that I feel towards these stories' continuation nowadays.

I'll tell you the same thing I told the ASoIaF community.

Go read other stories. Like, seriously, do you have any idea how many awesome fucking stories there are? Waiting for new chapters is like staring at a clock face. It only moves slower when you pay attention to it.

I still care a lot about Berserk and ASoIaF and Gentlemen Bastards and Kingkiller Chronicles and Hunter X Hunter and Half-Life....but I have a ton of other shit to read and watch and play. It really becomes a nonissue when you have that.

Decided to finally try and get into this and picked up Volume 1 of the Manga and I am hooked!!!

..... and then I see volume 2 is discontinued and can't be bought for cheap :-/

jett

D-Member
I'm catching up to the 2016 anime.

This is already much better. I actually know what's going on. I wonder why they decided on not adapting all those previous chapters though.

Speaking about adaptations, after some people telling me how different the 90's anime is to the manga, it actually seems incredibly close. As far as I can tell nearly every scene is lifted directly. When it comes to the characters everyone was just fucking nailed as far as I can see. Just near the end they cut up a bunch of stuff to streamline it.

Too bad they never continued that one, wonder why. Now we got stuck with this new one, which is now even worse than I already thought. The manga is absolutely GORGEOUS. It must be depressing to long-time fans that this CGI mess is what the world has ended up with. :p

edit: it's too bad watching the anime "spoiled"
Griffith's rebirth for me
, and then mildly checking the wiki to understand what was going on I got spoiled on
Griffith building a new kingdom.
That shit was like in the first few lines. :|

LaneDS

I'm catching up to the 2016 anime.

This is already much better. I actually know what's going on. I wonder why they decided on not adapting all those previous chapters though.

Speaking about adaptations, after some people telling me how different the 90's anime is to the manga, it actually seems incredibly close. As far as I can tell nearly every scene is lifted directly. When it comes to the characters everyone was just fucking nailed as far as I can see. Just near the end they cut up a bunch of stuff to streamline it.

Too bad they never continued that one, wonder why. Now we got stuck with this new one, which is now even worse than I already thought. The manga is absolutely GORGEOUS. It must be depressing to long-time fans that this CGI mess is what the world has ended up with. :p

edit: it's too bad watching the anime "spoiled"
Griffith's rebirth for me
, and then mildly checking the wiki to understand what was going on I got spoiled on
Griffith building a new kingdom.
That shit was like in the first few lines. :|

Glad you're enjoying it. The art continues to improve and the detail is really staggering in the "newest" stuff.

The first anime definitely hits the key points and works really well as a primer for the series but there's some weird changes (they mention Griffith being the king in the first episode, which never happens) and some key characters missing like Puck and Skull Knight. Nothing that I think ultimately matters when judging the quality of that series (which is great).

uE1Hp0K.gif

Grudy

Oh shit, my first hiatus (though I still have 10 volumes to read, they won't take that much time). I hope it goes well :l

I need something explained btw. What exactly did the Egg-shaped Apostle sacrifice to have his wish granted? Wasn't that shown as a rule in the Guardians of Desire, Lost Children arc and the Eclipse? I was thinking he might have sacrificed the world itself, but he has little attachment to it anyway. I think I may have missed something in this regard.

The few chapters after the Tower of Conviction were really something. I got chills at some of the scenes when Guts, Puck and Casca were travelling alone and had never felt more sympathy for Guts as I did then. Truly heavy stuff. I was more relieved than I should have when they finally met up with the others.

I'm almost done with the troll village too, and I gotta say it's only saving grace are the events in the cave towards the end and some scenes here and there. I found the trolls to be the weakest antagonists so far. Most importantly, I don't know why Guts agreed to help that poor man in the forest in the first place. They have enough trouble during the nights as it is and they should have kept on going.

I am liking Isidro, Farnese and Serpico (him especially) far, far more at this stage. It was about time they get some upgrades and be more useful. Schierke, on the other hand, I'm not quite so sure. She seems likable, powerful and quite innocent compared to the others. I know she's a main character that joins the group but I don't think I'm a fan of her so far. Maybe because she talks a bit too much about all the spirits/astral world and I think having telepathy is a bit of a hack.

The Berserker armor though....just wow. Holy shit. Talk about going from 0 -> 100.

I need something explained btw. What exactly did the Egg-shaped Apostle sacrifice to have his wish granted? Wasn't that shown as a rule in the Guardians of Desire, Lost Children arc and the Eclipse? I was thinking he might have sacrificed the world itself, but he has little attachment to it anyway. I think I may have missed something in this regard.

He had nothing to offer but himself and the world that surrounded him. That was the sacrifice.

Isn't one of the "rules" that the sacrifice has to be someone/something you love? I remember Ubik saying something like that to the Slug Count.
But when he sacrifices himself, he never gets to see the new world he brought forth. Instead he joins the hellish vortex.

I've been really quiet when it comes to the new anime, but that doesn't mean I haven't been watching it every week. The fact that I haven't mentioned it much just goes to show you how much I just didn't care about it. For me it started out being a 2/10 to eventually going to about a 4/10 roughly halfway through when it kinda found somewhat of a groove (that or I simply adjusted to the awfulness). So it went from abysmal to just plain bad.

The people behind it just didn't get it. I mean all you have to do is look no further than the last episode when Griffith was finally shown and they played rock music for his big moment. I mean what?! Not to mention he was animated in like two frames. People keep bringing up the terrible 3D, but honestly, the anime has A LOT of problems and overall it was such a huge injustice to the wonderful manga. I just wanted to get that off my chest.

It wasn't so much the music, but that it didn't deliver the punch that I felt while reading it. It just happens, and they move on to the others.

Grudy

Isn't one of the "rules" that the sacrifice has to be someone/something you love? I remember Ubik saying something like that to the Slug Count.

Yeah this is what I was talking about. I believe he or Slan said the sacrifice must be something very close to them, like giving up a part of themselves.

Famassu

I'll tell you the same thing I told the ASoIaF community.

Go read other stories. Like, seriously, do you have any idea how many awesome fucking stories there are? Waiting for new chapters is like staring at a clock face. It only moves slower when you pay attention to it.

I still care a lot about Berserk and ASoIaF and Gentlemen Bastards and Kingkiller Chronicles and Hunter X Hunter and Half-Life....but I have a ton of other shit to read and watch and play. It really becomes a nonissue when you have that.
Sure, I know there are other stories to keep me entertained and I take full advantage of that. I'm not hung up on these two stories. I can go months without giving too much thought to either Berserk or ASOIAF. Still doesn't remove the overall apathy I feel towards this and ASOIAF. It's not that I constantly think about these and feel down, but when I do, I kind of find myself being more & more pessimistic about both. It's not that I don't enjoy Berserk anymore and I'm seemingly one of the only people who thoroughly enjoyed A Dance With Dragons, but I dunno, it's just hard to find any kind of lasting enthusiasm when GRRM can't figure out his shit or Miura keeps slogging on with a few chapters per year (not that I fully blame him, it's probably nicer to work at this pace than the horrible weekly shonen kind of schedule). I'll enjoy what we'll get (if we ever get Winds of Winter -_- ) but outside of that I just don't care all that much anymore.

Yeah this is what I was talking about. I believe he or Slan said the sacrifice must be something very close to them, like giving up a part of themselves.

Yes, the sacrifice has to be "important and dear to the hear". Think of it this way: He sacrificed himself and his world. That's the only attachments he has in his life. It's what defines his existence. So, that''s what he offers. He doesn't really offer the world as "meat", instead he decided to sacrifice everything he had.

Shinriji

Sure, I know there are other stories to keep me entertained and I take full advantage of that. I'm not hung up on these two stories. I can go months without giving too much thought to either Berserk or ASOIAF. Still doesn't remove the overall apathy I feel towards this and ASOIAF. It's not that I constantly think about these and feel down, but when I do, I kind of find myself being more & more pessimistic about both. It's not that I don't enjoy Berserk anymore and I'm seemingly one of the only people who thoroughly enjoyed A Dance With Dragons, but I dunno, it's just hard to find any kind of lasting enthusiasm when GRRM can't figure out his shit or Miura keeps slogging on with a few chapters per year (not that I fully blame him, it's probably nicer to work at this pace than the horrible weekly shonen kind of schedule). I'll enjoy what we'll get (if we ever get Winds of Winter -_- ) but outside of that I just don't care all that much anymore.

Please, don't start reading Bastard, X or Guyver.

Famassu

Please, don't start reading Bastard, X or Guyver.
X isn't finished? :S *looks up wiki* "on hiatus since 2003"
72b70d8e8dc085394b1a498a099a6ad7.png

I think I saw the anime when I was, like, 14, don't remember all that much about it but I think I enjoyed it quite a bit at that age. I've actually seen the new-ish 3-in-1 volumes occasionally at Amazon when browsing manga and thought about starting to collect them. Might have to reconsider...

frontovik

Banned
With all the horrors that Guts and Co. have to brave through, I'm not surprised that Magnifico is unprepared, lol.

So are guidebooks essentially character profiles & plot summaries? I might buy it for the pretty pictures, I guess.

Top Bottom