• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

So George R. R. Martin, Togashi and Miura walk into a Bar...

Punchline coming in 2028
Punchline is the bartender died waiting for them to write down their drink order.
tumblr_inline_nrjeqhPZAM1qfdv2d_540.jpg

Dahbomb

Aw shit I just reached the boat.

These characters were stuck in a boat for six years???
Well during the boat journey, most of the manga was spent on
the adventures of Griffith. There wasn't much boat stuff outside of one major fight sequence. So the storyline was still progressing a lot while they were on the boat.

Pacing in Berserk is absolutely fine but the release schedule is so bad it seemed like Gutts and co were on the boat for an eternity.

Veelk

Banned
Ha! Miura pulled a Togashi on us and now has an excuse to draw shitty for a few chapters.

I have to say, for such an emotional turning point of the story, it's treated with a surprising amount of levity. Like, I know Guts isn't usually the expressive type, but after all this, I would have expected more of a reaction. This is NOT the time to write him as the quiet stoic. Similarly, the dreams were a chance for an insight into both Farnese and Shrieke and instead we get a bit of comic relief. Maybe you can read into Farnese's dream a bit, but I have no idea what to make of it other than it being weird.

Aw shit I just reached the boat.

These characters were stuck in a boat for six years???

You've already reached the boat?! Slow it down a bit! You need to savour it all.

Also, here's a good summary (it's the second post) of the entire boat situation.

The boat trip back will take another 8 years.

I doubt they'll go back on a boat to get back. They'll probably find another way.

Ha! Miura pulled a Togashi on us and now has an excuse to draw shitty for a few chapters.

I have to say, for such an emotional turning point of the story, it's treated with a surprising amount of levity. Like, I know Guts isn't usually the expressive type, but after all this, I would have expected more of a reaction. This is NOT the time to write him as the quiet stoic. Similarly, the dreams were a chance for an insight into both Farnese and Shrieke and instead we get a bit of comic relief. Maybe you can read into Farnese's dream a bit, but I have no idea what to make of it other than it being weird.

I agree with this. Chapter 347 felt very laid back and casual for such an anticipated, monumental moment in the story. What happened is not how I pictured things would happen, and it just didn't quite feel like as big of a deal as it should have. I wish Guts wasn't separated from the whole process, and I feel as if they need to cut back with the comedy for now. However, this is only the beginning. I'm positive Miura will deliver the feels with the following chapters. Also, dat last page!

\

I agree with this. Chapter 347 felt very laid back and casual for such an anticipated, monumental moment in the story. What happened is not how I pictured things would happen, and it just didn't quite feel like as big of a deal as it should have. I wish Guts wasn't separated from the whole process, and I feel as if they need to cut back with the comedy for now. However, this is only the beginning. I'm positive Miura will deliver the feels with the following chapters. Also, dat last page!

Man I am getting the feeling something majorly bad is going to happen soon. Like Miura is giving us this false sense of security....

Jinroh

Oh what the hell, I've just read chapter 347 and now it's on hiatus again?? It doesn't end with a cliffhanger but we're reaching a turning point, the wait will be atrocious D:

Clegg

Guts' life is about suffering so either Casca is healed but it's to a point before she fell in love with him or she regains her memories and hates him for making her remember what happened to her.

mcz117chief

Guts' life is about suffering so either Casca is healed but it's to a point before she fell in love with him or she regains her memories and hates him for making her remember what happened to her.

The second one obviously and she will also remember how he almost raped her so she will hate him even more.

Funny how the latest chapter ended in such a brutal cliffhanger when finally plot is starting to move again. I was almost certain that the queen would be like "I can do the ritual, but you need to go over there and collect 9 magic stones trollface.jpg". Luckily we cut to the chase and she just said that she will do it and is actually doing it. I really don't want any more filler at this point, just the major plot lines and let us see how the story ends, then he can write as many fillers as he wants and I will gladly buy them all.

Tacitus_

I don't think that Casca will be the only one to emerge damaged from the ritual. Schierke and Farnenese are about to see the Eclipse from Caskas point of view...

I absolutely loved the tone, the surrealism and probably the next episodes will provide quite a contrast. We are about to enter a brutal section, a recollection of horrible repressed memories.

Matsukaze

The lighthearted feel of this chapter is intentionally used as a contrast to what's about to come. It's the last bit of sunshine before the darkness and it's going to make the nightmare seem even darker as a result. I liked it for what it was.

I'm also not sure Schierke or Farnese are in as much danger as the story hints they might be. It doesn't make sense to traumatize either of them when Miura has been building up Guts and crew as a JRPG party for a while now, and I can't imagine it would be difficult for Danann to whisk them away at the first sign of a problem arising. If anything's going to be damaged, it's probably going to be their "idea" of Guts when they see the extent of everything he's been keeping bottled up inside.

Good chapter all in all. Shame about the wait.

Clegg

The second one obviously and she will also remember how he almost raped her so she will hate him even more.

Funny how the latest chapter ended in such a brutal cliffhanger when finally plot is starting to move again. I was almost certain that the queen would be like "I can do the ritual, but you need to go over there and collect 9 magic stones trollface.jpg". Luckily we cut to the chase and she just said that she will do it and is actually doing it. I really don't want any more filler at this point, just the major plot lines and let us see how the story ends, then he can write as many fillers as he wants and I will gladly buy them all.

I'm trying to word this carefully so as to not offend anyone, but I could actually see Casca forgiving him on that. The world Casca knew before the Eclipse was fucked up enough as it was and that was just with human rule. It was a state of war and murder with atrocities everywhere. Chivalry was in very short supply. The fact that Guts didn't take advantage of her naked and dazed state is something that, after the initial revulsion she is sure to have, I think she can forgive. I'm not trying to make light of the situation by any means. It's just that in the context of what occurred I think his punishment can be mitigated. Plus the fact he protected her from demons every night after sunset etc etc.

Forcing her to remember her friends being slaughtered by demons and then being raped by a man she once loved and admired is going to be what does Guts in though. I'm not hopeful for a happy ending for him and nor do I think this manga has a very optimistic tone, but I would like to see Guts at least get a few moments of happiness with Casca before his next tragedy. God knows Miura has heaped enough shit on the both of them.

Kneefoil

I doubt they'll go back on a boat to get back. They'll probably find another way.
Me too. I'm expecting some elven magicks.

I'm just glad we're likely going to see Casca regain her sanity next year. A tonal shift to something a bit serious would also be welcome considering the direction the plot is heading.

mcz117chief

I'm trying to word this carefully so as to not offend anyone, but I could actually see Casca forgiving him on that. The world Casca knew before the Eclipse was fucked up enough as it was and that was just with human rule. It was a state of war and murder with atrocities everywhere. Chivalry was in very short supply. The fact that Guts didn't take advantage of her naked and dazed state is something that, after the initial revulsion she is sure to have, I think she can forgive. I'm not trying to make light of the situation by any means. It's just that in the context of what occurred I think his punishment can be mitigated. Plus the fact he protected her from demons every night after sunset etc etc.

Forcing her to remember her friends being slaughtered by demons and then being raped by a man she once loved and admired is going to be what does Guts in though. I'm not hopeful for a happy ending for him and nor do I think this manga has a very optimistic tone, but I would like to see Guts at least get a few moments of happiness with Casca before his next tragedy. God knows Miura has heaped enough shit on the both of them.

That can work too. I like happy endings so I would love to have one but I am not really holding my breath all things considered.

Damn, vegetable Casca wants no part of Guts. Dude can't even be a part of the ritual. Oh my god, Casca's dreams is drawn like one of Togashi's lazy ass drawing from Hunter x Hunter, I'm fucking dying here. Or maybe it's like how the stand used by Oingo Boingo in Stardust Crusaders envisions the world.
Schierke:
abdd928ceb8c9e10268b31c3c26be47c2fe1edb8037feae792a1fcc40a05e8ca.jpg

Can't wait for the next chapters...whelp this is going to be a long wait.

Man I am getting the feeling something majorly bad is going to happen soon. Like Miura is giving us this false sense of security....

Oh make no mistake, some really dark stuff is coming up next. I guess we should all enjoy the lightheartedness of this chapter, because you don't get much more ominous than that last page! In terms of Casca being healed, it's going to be complicated, but I'm with the group that think it will happen. And just for the record, I don't think she'll be angry with Guts when she regains her sanity. I think she'll forgive him for what he did.

Oh make no mistake, some really dark stuff is coming up next. I guess we should all enjoy the lightheartedness of this chapter, because you don't get much more ominous than that last page! In terms of Casca being healed, it's going to be complicated, but I'm with the group that think it will happen. And just for the record, I don't think she'll be angry with Guts when she regains her sanity. I think she'll forgive him for what he did.
I wonder if she'll still be friends with Farnese if/when she gets her memories back.

Matsukaze

I wonder if she'll still be friends with Farnese if/when she gets her memories back.
She almost certainly will, but Farnese is going to feel so awkward when she realizes the childlike woman she's been traveling with is actually a talented warrior whose skill and battlefield acumen far surpass her own.

Seesaw15

Man, I can only see this Casca plot going two ways.

1.) Dream world Casca tells Farnese and Schierke that she doesn't want to regain her memories and stays how she is.

or

2.) They get her back. Things seem normal/happy and Casca commits suicide.

Man, I can only see this Casca plot going two ways.

1.) Dream world Casca tells Farnese and Schierke that she doesn't want to regain her memories and stays how she is.

or

2.) They get her back. Things seem normal/happy and Casca commits suicide.

Danann suggested that how they bring Casca back is by bringing some resolution to her memories/experience, so by the internal logic of how this ritual works, it seems like it can't be something that succeeds but still leaves her tormented by her memories in the same way. It will still be a thing that happened to her, but the trauma (particularly the repeated trauma of being mentally stuck in her trauma) is the very thing they have to address in order to succeed. Maybe she regains her senses and decides that she doesn't want to be a part of the fight, that wouldn't surprise me at all, but I wouldn't expect her to kill herself.

Basically present Casca has PTSD, they're going in to resolve her PTSD (by bringing resolution to the conflict that she is mentally stuck in), and killing yourself is something that someone with unresolved PTSD would do.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

Ok ok i dont want be devils advocate but this is just the calm before the fucking shitstorm that is
casca's true sanity
. I'm sure the author will think of a way for GUTS to save them all when things go bad and get back into his true, undiluted, unedited rage.
Maybe casca goes crazy and rips off Guts black armor and dares to put it on herself only to be stopped by Guts cutting off her hand at last second showing off the rage he has been building this entire time from the destruction of the hawk?
man i could write so many fanfics...

Veelk

Banned
If there was a time for Berserk to start fixing it's women issues, it's now.

It's hard for me to think of a way that I'd be happy with things going that doesn't boil down to Caska beginning her quest to confront griffith in some way. She's basically been the toy between Guts and Griffith all this time, and it's only now that she has a chance to make her own decision, and I'm gonna be really salty if it isn't one that comes down to her implementing her own sense of agency on the story.

Unfortunately, there's little to indicate that will happen.

jett

D-Member
You've already reached the boat?! Slow it down a bit! You need to savour it all.

Too late, couldn't help myself. XD I caught up with everything.

Interesting developments at the end. Does the nature of
Elfhelm
mean that
several years or decades will have gone by when they leave it?

I'm also not entirely sure on Griffith/Femto's endgame here. What's the point of all this, and what's the point for the Godhand?

Veelk

Banned
Too late, couldn't help myself. XD I caught up with everything.

Interesting developments at the end. Does the nature of
Elfhelm
mean that
several years or decades will have gone by when they leave it?

I'm also not entirely sure on Griffith/Femto's endgame here. What's the point of all this, and what's the point for the Godhand?

Well, that's the big mystery.

We know it was always Griffith's dream to have his own kingdom and now he literally is the savior of the world who united humankind and apostles and has changed the world and induced a golden age within his lands.

He has what he wanted. Why he was allowed to get it and what he is going to do with it is anyone's guess.

jett

D-Member
Well, that's the big mystery.

We know it was always Griffith's dream to have his own kingdom and now he literally is the savior of the world who united humankind and apostles and has changed the world and induced a golden age within his lands.

He has what he wanted. Why he was allowed to get it and what he is going to do with it is anyone's guess.

Yeah I don't really understand the big plan here. It seems like there's no plan at all.

AGBOD6Q.png

BRB, using imagination since HIATUS

Guts has ended up as such a different character than when I started reading this thing.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Playing Guts Rage for DC for the first time since I was in high school. I enjoy it a lot more now that I am actually familiar with the source.

And man I love all the Puck animations on the VMU

Top Bottom