• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BestBuy.com PS3 Preorders. "here is a coupon for your troubles PWNED LOL"

Mirimar

WickedAngel said:
I know...I said that to justify the logic behind me thinking that they won't just cancel these and start over because it wasn't "official".

They did it with the Fry's special $360 X360 bundle. Redid it after the bundle wasn't official and upped the price like $100. You kind of expect things like this to get cancelled but buy it anyway on the severe offchance that it goes through.

unomas

Banned
whatdidyousay said:
I'm trying to be realistic about this, and here's what I think is going to happen:

--BestBuy will honor the pre-orders BUT only the early orders will get their PS3s at launch.
--If they don't cancel, everyone else will get their PS3s whenever Sony ships more, with some getting theirs in early/mid-December, and some not getting their console until 2007.

Honestly, how can BestBuy ship thousands at launch and have enough stock for their stores at the same time?

Well lets say on the low end Best Buy gets 100,000 of the 400,000. Putting up 2-5,000 online for pre-order isn't a big deal. It sounds like Best Buy could get 200,000 of the launch shipment when its all said and done. Who knows, but either way it looks good right now for those that got in.

Mirimar said:
They did it with the Fry's special $360 X360 bundle. Redid it after the bundle wasn't official and upped the price like $100. You kind of expect things like this to get cancelled but buy it anyway on the severe offchance that it goes through.

That was an extreme discount though (I bit on that one myself). It was $350 for the Premium and three games (Dead Rising, Saints Row, and Test Drive: Unlimited). They would have lost their asses on that deal.

Tabris

unomas said:
Well lets say on the low end Best Buy gets 100,000 of the 400,000. Putting up 2-5,000 online for pre-order isn't a big deal. It sounds like Best Buy could get 200,000 of the launch shipment when its all said and done. Who knows, but either way it looks good right now for those that got in.

There's no way Best Buy is getting 1/4 of the PS3 shipments.

There's the following, EB Games, Gamestop, Mom and Pop Game Stores, Walmart, Target, Frys, Other Department Stores, Toys R Us, Canadian stores, etc.

JCBossman said:
Just wondering when EVERYONE was making a mad dash to spend $600+ did the site take you to a SECURE WEB PAGE, usually thats what these sites do for Personal/Credit Card info, because if this WAS Legit, it looks like Best Buys website security has been comprimised.

Yeah. It was the shttp site. And the Verisign tag appeared to be working as well.

Mirimar

WickedAngel said:
That was an extreme discount though (I bit on that one myself). It was $350 for the Premium and three games (Dead Rising, Saints Row, and Test Drive: Unlimited). They would have lost their asses on that deal.

Still, was this pre-ordering thing announced at all because that Fry's deal wasn't. Going back on their word due to a "technical error" isn't beyond the realm of possibility.

unomas

Banned
Tabris said:

There's the following, EB Games, Gamestop, Mom and Pop Game Stores, Walmart, Target, Frys, Other Department Stores, Toys R Us, Canadian stores, etc.

Best Buy got a good chunk of the 360 shipment, I guess we'll find out if Bestbuy had a few thousand systems to spare for online pre-orders.

unomas said:

1/4 is a bit high, don't you think? I hope you're right though...

Mirimar

unomas said:
Best Buy got a good chunk of the 360 shipment, I guess we'll find out if Bestbuy had a few thousand systems to spare for online pre-orders.

Does anyone know how the X360 online pre-orders went on Best Buy or did they even do that?

Tabris said:

Let's say BB gets 10% of the 400,000. That's 40,000 units. They have Approx. 800 stores in the US and Canada. Even if they sold half of the theoretical 40,000 units tonight, they'd still have approx. 25 units per store to sell on launch day.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Well... I got in on this right when the window closed (chalk it up to watching a menial, I mean, Sam Cassell help the Clippers overcome the Suns). It'd be great if it panned out because I'm trying to hook an overseas friend up with a second unit (at retail price... none of this eBaying nonsense --- gotta spread the Resistance love!).

However, from my experience working at Best Buy in college, and with the HD-A1 pre-orders earlier this year, they love cancelling "glitches." Good news is last time it happened I got a $50 gift card for the website.

Regardless, good find, hope it works out for everyone.

JS

Tarazet

Mirimar said:
Does anyone know how the X360 online pre-orders went on Best Buy or did they even do that?

People have said that a similar thing to this happened, people got to order them early somehow and then they canceled them all to put a bundle up. However, one person heard from customer service that Best Buy are planning to honor these orders and ship out their online allotment before they cancel any, so I don't know what to expect.

Mirimar said:
Still, was this pre-ordering thing announced at all because that Fry's deal wasn't. Going back on their word due to a "technical error" isn't beyond the realm of possibility.

They wouldn't have a reason to this time. The technical error for Frys/Outpost would've cost them a significant amount of money. These PS3 systems were listed as MSRP. The only error is that they weren't linked to the main site, but I doubt anyone at BB would care since customers found their way to the page anyways.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
We ordered 7 of them. I'll be keeping one...

But I fear a cancellation notice, though. :\

SleazyC

I seriously hope these orders go through but I am going to be realistic and say that I probably won't be getting one as I placed an order pretty late. Damn FFXII!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
AlphaSnake said:
We ordered 7 of them. I'll be keeping one...
tyrone1xx.jpg

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
SleazyC said:
I seriously hope these orders go through but I am going to be realistic and say that I probably won't be getting one as I placed an order pretty late. Damn FFXII!

I just put the game on pause right before I ran over to find my wallet and CCs...

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
so glad I am out in east bumblefu** on business... I would have been out and about back home....

madden gaf leagues on ps3? fmt , matrix, dm, ror, zep anyone else get in on this?

cvxfreak

I was able to successfully change my shipping to overnight. Yes, Best Buy is fully aware of the mass orders they received, and all are under processing. Any changes will be alerted through e-mail, but the orders are legit.

I received an order update e-mail as well.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
cvxfreak said:
I was able to successfully change my shipping to overnight. Yes, Best Buy is fully aware of the mass orders they received, and all are under processing. Any changes will be alerted through e-mail, but the orders are legit.

HOLY ****ING CRAP

Joates

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
Morons like you ordering 7 are sure to make it more likely...

Hopefully they just cancel peoples orders who got more than one, hell, that would clear up a huge portion of orders right off the bat dont ya think?

****ING A! This is so awesome.

Rorschach

Malleymal said:
so glad I am out in east bumblefu** on business... I would have been out and about back home....

madden gaf leagues on ps3? fmt , matrix, dm, ror, zep anyone else get in on this?
I got my email...w00t!

Pimpwerx

Malleymal said:

You can add me to that list if my order goes through. Looks like I can get in on Day1 (uh...Day2 or 3 depending on shipping). PEACE.

i got in on it. assuming it goes through there are a couple other issues:

1. online performance
2. will there be enough people with a ps3 to play

however, the more people with a ps3 the more people to play in our madden ps2 league! BC yes! you can't escape last gen forever!

JCBossman

Banned
For what it's worth?
sent an e-mail to Bestbuy asking the very questions we are all asking. This is what they sent me:
------------------------------------------------------

Dear Valued Customer,

Thanks you for your interest in the upcoming release of the new gaming
consoles; PS3 and Nintendo Wii. This message was automatically generated
in an attempt to answer your question as quickly as possible.

The Sony Playstation 3 will be available on Nov 17th and the Nintendo
Wii will be available on Nov. 19th. Due to limited production,
pre-orders will not be accepted, and game consoles will not be available
for purchase on www.bestbuy.com for the initial release date. We
anticipate availability to be extremely limited in stores and sales will
be accepted on a first come first served basis. Most stores will open
early on the day the consoles become available and tickets will be
handed out that correspond to the number of units that are available
(one ticket per person in line). Games for both consoles are currently
available for preorder on www.bestbuy.com. Additional consoles will be
made available for purchase as inventory arrives throughout the holiday
season. If this does not fully answer your question or address your
issue, please reply back to this message with additional information,
and a Best Buy Customer Care Representative will respond as soon as
possible.

To learn more about release dates, product specs and to pre-order your
games, checkout www.bestbuy.com.

Sincerely,

Best Buy Customer Care

Joates

Banned
JCBossman said:
For what it's worth?
sent an e-mail to Bestbuy asking the very questions we are all asking. This is what they sent me:

Dear Valued Customer,
---------blah---------
Sincerely,

Best Buy Customer Care

Multiple Phone calls and CSA's have refuted this though... Someone needs to bring this up in a phone call though.

sangreal

JCBossman said:
For what it's worth?

Dear Valued Customer,

Thanks you for your interest in the upcoming release of the new gaming
consoles; PS3 and Nintendo Wii. This message was automatically generated
in an attempt to answer your question as quickly as possible.

The Sony Playstation 3 will be available on Nov 17th and the Nintendo
Wii will be available on Nov. 19th. Due to limited production,
pre-orders will not be accepted, and game consoles will not be available
for purchase on www.bestbuy.com for the initial release date. We
anticipate availability to be extremely limited in stores and sales will
be accepted on a first come first served basis. Most stores will open
early on the day the consoles become available and tickets will be
handed out that correspond to the number of units that are available
(one ticket per person in line). Games for both consoles are currently
available for preorder on www.bestbuy.com. Additional consoles will be
made available for purchase as inventory arrives throughout the holiday
season. If this does not fully answer your question or address your
issue, please reply back to this message with additional information,
and a Best Buy Customer Care Representative will respond as soon as
possible.

To learn more about release dates, product specs and to pre-order your
games, checkout www.bestbuy.com.

Sincerely,

Best Buy Customer Care

You have been trying to convince everyone for 12 pages now that this is a phishing scam. We get it, you think its a scam.

That form letter was already posted, btw.

JCBossman said:
Just wondering when EVERYONE was making a mad dash to spend $600+ did the site take you to a SECURE WEB PAGE, usually thats what these sites do for Personal/Credit Card info, because if this WAS Legit, it looks like Best Buys website security has been comprimised.

JCBossman said:
This is going to END bad, you wait and see...
P.S. I hope I'm wrong, and this is legit.:) And EVERYONE get's thier PS3!

JCBossman said:
I was going to go for this but than I noticed Sonarrat, is the one that found it, sorry man, but you are having some BAD luck lately, and I wanna stay away from that MOJO. Although IF this does go thru, I guess your cured!:)

Mirimar

JoatesDogg187 said:
Multiple Phone calls and CSA's have refuted this though... Someone needs to bring this up in a phone call though.

What do CSA's know though...half the time, they're in damage control.

Joates

Banned
Mirimar said:
What do CSA's know though...half the time, they're in damage control.

Eh very true. But the fact that they are Confirming the the PS3 orders and saying that they are being processed speaks something. *crosses fingers*

Pimpwerx

cvxfreak said:
seriousbusiness.jpg

The internets ftw? The fact that your online account updated from a CSA call gives me renewed hope. I think I can now call it a night at 3:18am. ...or maybe I'll wait until 3:30 to see if anything changes. :D PEACE.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
JoatesDogg187 said:
Eh very true. But the fact that they are Confirming the the PS3 orders and saying that they are being processed speaks something. *crosses fingers*

Same thing happened with the HD-A1 pre-order mess-up tho.

JS

Bebpo

Banned
Tabris said:

1/4th is too little IMO.

You have to realize at the X360 launch every best buy got about 50-100 units while EBs/Targets/Walmerts/etc... got 4-16. BB gets about 10x the units as anyone else and I would expect them to get 100-200k of the 400k. Would seam feasable in that case for them to put 10k-20k up online.

no_to_co

jstevenson said:
Well... I got in on this right when the window closed (chalk it up to watching a menial, I mean, Sam Cassell help the Clippers overcome the Suns). It'd be great if it panned out because I'm trying to hook an overseas friend up with a second unit (at retail price... none of this eBaying nonsense --- gotta spread the Resistance love!).

However, from my experience working at Best Buy in college, and with the HD-A1 pre-orders earlier this year, they love cancelling "glitches." Good news is last time it happened I got a $50 gift card for the website.

Regardless, good find, hope it works out for everyone.

JS

where are you getting the first Ps3 from? Or did you order 2 on BB?

Bebpo

Banned
One serious question though:

One reason I was planning on camping at BB was to get their 2 year warrenty. Can I still do that after I receive my online order?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Bebpo said:
1/4th is too little IMO.

You have to realize at the X360 launch every best buy got about 50-100 units while EBs/Targets/Walmerts/etc... got 4-16. BB gets about 10x the units as anyone else and I would expect them to get 100-200k of the 400k. Would seam feasable in that case for them to put 10k-20k up online.

Except you would have to think BBY doesn't make nearly as much money selling them online (I mean, seriously guys, who ordered accy or Resistance along with their pre-order tonight?) vs. selling them in stores.

Best Buy wants to attach PRPs, games, and accy to your purchase - selling PS3s online is not the way to do that.

JS

JCBossman

Banned
No, I DON'T this this is a phishing scam, what it's shaping up to be is that "Someone" NOT Best Buy, created those pages, BUT it is Definately INSIDE the Best buy OFFICAL system, maybe a disgrunted worker.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
no_to_co said:
where are you getting the first Ps3 from? Or did you order 2 on BB?

Camping somewhere with a bunch of other Insomniacs. I'm trying to end up with a total of two... hopefully this is one of them.

JS

Tarazet

Bebpo said:
One serious question though:

One reason I was planning on camping at BB was to get their 2 year warrenty. Can I still do that after I receive my online order?

I'm pretty sure you can take your receipt in and buy a warranty. They love selling warranties, so I wouldn't fret about that.

Pimpwerx

sonarrat said:
I'm pretty sure you can take your receipt in and buy a warranty. They love selling warranties, so I wouldn't fret about that.
How much are warranties usually? I despise the idea of having to get one, but if it's not a steep hike in price, then I'll go for one. Otherwise I'll just sue Sony when it breaks. PEACE.

Top Bottom