• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BestBuy.com PS3 Preorders. "here is a coupon for your troubles PWNED LOL"

Bebpo

Banned
MaverickX9 said:
Well...what is the worst that can happen? We have our orders cancelled.

Someone working on Best Buy's computer side could take all your personal information, steal your identity, and then come to your house and kill you.

...that's actually the worst that can happen. But orders getting cancelled would rank pretty bad too.

Tarazet

JoatesDogg187 said:
Where can you check the shipping date and shit on your preorder? And the "inprocess"/"backordered" thing, not seeing it anywhere...

I think that was only for people who added it to their cart, then had the door close on them before they checked out.

Miguel

I ordered 2.

Now before you jerks get all bitchy...it's a friend of mine in Boston.

My order = My CC, my Address, my PS3
2nd order = His CC, his Address, his PS3

:)

Both went through, both ordered within 20 and 25 minutes of thread starting

MaverickX9 said:

No risk here. All reward.

Exactly. I can't say that I'd be happy with them doing that, I really want my sweetie to have one (me too but mostly for him)... but I can get over it if they decided to be meanies.

Oh, last I checked: Status: 1 item(s) preordered, release date is 11/17/06. (checked at 12:55 a.m. PST)

sangreal

MaverickX9 said:

No risk here. All reward.

Didn't you listen to him? Bestbuy's security has been compromised, we are all screwed!
JCBossman said:
Just wondering when EVERYONE was making a mad dash to spend $600+ did the site take you to a SECURE WEB PAGE, usually thats what these sites do for Personal/Credit Card info, because if this WAS Legit, it looks like Best Buys website security has been comprimised.
JCBossman said:
No, I DON'T this this is a phishing scam, what it's shaping up to be is that "Someone" NOT Best Buy, created those pages, BUT it is Definately INSIDE the Best buy OFFICAL system, maybe a disgrunted worker.

Joates

Banned
sangreal said:
Didn't you listen to him? Bestbuy's security has been compromised, we are all screwed!

0255.jpg

Its all over... sell your identities while their still worth something!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Malleymal said:
so glad I am out in east bumblefu** on business... I would have been out and about back home....

madden gaf leagues on ps3? fmt , matrix, dm, ror, zep anyone else get in on this?

I didnt bother ordering one,even though I want one bad.This happened with the 360 last year and they cancelled my order a day later.The page being up for so long and the fact that it wasnt up under the PS3 section just brought back how pissed I was with them and the 360.

I figured it would happen again.

Hey this is kinda weird. Somebody just called the phone number I used while filling out my online order. He said, "Thanks for <unintelligble mumbling>". I said, "What?". And he yelled, "THANKS FOR THE PS3 SH!T FOR BRAINS!!".

Then he mentioned something about entering a world of pain.

Whaddya think? Anything I should be alarmed about?

JCBossman

Banned
Quote:
By the way, for those of you who are wondering how Best Buy's website can appear to have a webpage set up to handle PS3 preorders, well, in the website, it's not actually a separate webpage. It's what's called a CMS (Content Management System). Unlike webpages that you are used to creating for your own personal use, CMS websites are database driven. There are no actual webpages stored on the server. But there are databases that hold the information. Once your browser requests a page from the CMS website, the website's system gathers data from the databases and displays the results in your browser. Many major organizations have some type of CMS system, whether for internal use, or external use. Usually only programmers know about CMS.

Based on my experience, if I had to hazard a guess as to what happened, a web admin did some website testing in the middle of the night in preparation for the PS3 launch (If one were to do 'live environment' testing, it's better to do it at night, when there's less people using the system.). Someone on the Internet who knew what the product ID number for the PS3 kept checking the Best Buy website to look for a preorder page. They found a 'test' page, and started ordering. The automated ordering process took over from there. Notice that the model number is 'ABC.' That should've been the first clue that it was a test (personally, sometimes I use 'ABC', and sometimes I use "XYZ'). I bet the nexst time that particular admin does a live environment test, that he takes better precautions in the system.

ManaByte

Gold Member
JCBossman said:
Quote:
By the way, for those of you who are wondering how Best Buy's website can appear to have a webpage set up to handle PS3 preorders, well, in the website, it's not actually a separate webpage. It's what's called a CMS (Content Management System). Unlike webpages that you are used to creating for your own personal use, CMS websites are database driven. There are no actual webpages stored on the server. But there are databases that hold the information. Once your browser requests a page from the CMS website, the website's system gathers data from the databases and displays the results in your browser. Many major organizations have some type of CMS system, whether for internal use, or external use. Usually only programmers know about CMS.

Based on my experience, if I had to hazard a guess as to what happened, a web admin did some website testing in the middle of the night in preparation for the PS3 launch (If one were to do 'live environment' testing, it's better to do it at night, when there's less people using the system.). Someone on the Internet who knew what the product ID number for the PS3 kept checking the Best Buy website to look for a preorder page. They found a 'test' page, and started ordering. The automated ordering process took over from there. Notice that the model number is 'ABC.' That should've been the first clue that it was a test (personally, sometimes I use 'ABC', and sometimes I use "XYZ'). I bet the nexst time that particular admin does a live environment test, that he takes better precautions in the system.

That's exactly what happened most likely.

Remember back when IGN put up the Assassin's Creed X360 announcement early? Someone accidentally hit the "live" instead of "test" button in their CMS.

M_A_C

2600 said:
Hey this is kinda weird. Somebody just called the phone number I used while filling out my online order. He said, "Thanks for <unintelligble mumbling>". I said, "What?". And he yelled, "THANKS FOR THE PS3 SH!T FOR BRAINS!!".

If I were you I would be naked in the shower huddled in the fetal position.

:lol

ManaByte

Gold Member
Stoney Mason said:
I loled for the second time today.

Only the second? This thread has been an up and down of LOLZ all night.

2600 said:

Lock the door...and hope they don't have blasters.

DeadTrees

Better luck next time, guys.
wait till January and let the bleeding edgers bleed, k?

2600 said:

I think he's sending you a GameCube. With a copy of Super Mario Sunshine.

I don't know if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but on my order status page the purple status box has changed from Processing to One item preordered.

M_A_C said:
If I were you I would be naked in the shower huddled in the fetal position.

:lol

Not a bad idea. Maybe light a few candles, turn on some music.... oh wait, that probably wasn't where you were going with that.

ManaByte said:
Lock the door...and hope they don't have blasters.

Pfft. I'm not concerned, I'd like to see them try. BTW, do blasters shoot through faux-veneer doors?

JCBossman

Banned
For SOLVING This Mystery on GAF, Never being detered, always seeking the facts, I SHOULD get a Title, I'm thinking: "Detective:Major Console Squad" along with a nice Peter Falk Avatar!:)

DeadTrees said:
Better luck next time, guys.
wait till January and let the bleeding edgers bleed, k?

I think he's sending you a GameCube. With a copy of Super Mario Sunshine.

Then it will be slightly ironic when I toss it out on the lawn and spray it down with a garden hose, as I do all suspicious packages that are sent to me. :)

Cronox

Banned
So this is online only right? Best Buy stores hopefully won't take any preorders, or else there'll be nowhere to camp but Circuit City or something.

tgenius

I'm going to have to agree here. So long as your using a Credit Card and not a Debit Card... the risk here is very low, especially considering if it doesn't happen, we may get $5 or $10 BB GC/Coupons. :D

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Was this a major foul-up on Best Buy's part? I just found this over at the amazon forum Anyone else get this?

Dear Valued Customer,

Thanks you for your interest in the upcoming release of the new gaming
consoles; PS3 and Nintendo Wii. This message was automatically generated
in an attempt to answer your question as quickly as possible.

The Sony Playstation 3 will be available on Nov 17th and the Nintendo
Wii will be available on Nov. 19th. Due to limited production,
pre-orders will not be accepted, and game consoles will not be available
for purchase on www.bestbuy.com for the initial release date. We
anticipate availability to be extremely limited in stores and sales will
be accepted on a first come first served basis. Most stores will open
early on the day the consoles become available and tickets will be
handed out that correspond to the number of units that are available
(one ticket per person in line). Games for both consoles are currently
available for preorder on www.bestbuy.com. Additional consoles will be
made available for purchase as inventory arrives throughout the holiday
season. If this does not fully answer your question or address your
issue, please reply back to this message with additional information,
and a Best Buy Customer Care Representative will respond as soon as
possible.

To learn more about release dates, product specs and to pre-order your
games, checkout www.bestbuy.com.

Sincerely,

Best Buy Customer Care

Stop posting the same e-mail and stop pretending to claim its a scam.

The fact that there are CSRs who give out different answers shows that this thing shows that Best Buy was not ready yet for this thing.

However, I don't get why Best Buy would cancel all orders. If they put up a preorder page, it will just be a lot of the same people preordering these machines again. Plus it had a limit of who can preorder. I can't see why Best Buy wouldn't honor these sales, except for those who multiple ordered.

I think there is a good chance that these things will go through.

If not, I'm not too down. Most people thought that to get a PS3, you had to wait for hours in a line. We had a rare opportunity to get ahold of a PS3 without waiting in the cold for hours on end. If I get it, I'm lucky. If not, its no big deal. I can easily get one when they become plentiful the following summer (most likely).

No cancellation email, but no consensus yet either it seems...

Will we get confirmation from BestBuy today or will we have to wait until Monday?

WickedAngel said:
My orders are still "InProcess".

It sounds like the people who have "Backordered" on their accounts got into the deal late.

Can't be. I ordered pretty late (they shut the page down about 20 mins after I ordered) and mine still says "InProcess."

The latest CSR I got ahold of said that online orders were not supposed to happen, but that doesn't really make sense to me.

If they didn't have plans for online pre-orders, it doesn't make sense that they would have a pre-order button. I could understand the confusion if a "Buy Now" page was made for deals that would take place AFTER the release of the console, but it doesn't really explain why this page would have existed if they had no intention to do pre-orders in the first place.

Basically, I think we're not going to get any solid answers until noon tomorrow when the big whigs have had a chance to talk about what happened over the weekend.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
WickedAngel said:
And on top of that, the pre-order dates were correct. That doesn't make sense either if this wasn't intended.

Edit button didn't work?

Anyone wanna make a wager how long before that bestbuy preorder email is posted again?

I give 17 minutes.

I didn't edit because this thread should stay close to the top. There are a ton of people wondering about the status of their orders and I know many stayed up very late just for new information about it.

ManaByte

Gold Member
WickedAngel said:
I didn't edit because this thread should stay close to the top. There are a ton of people wondering about the status of their orders and I know many stayed up very late just for new information about it.

The post won't fall to page 5 a minute after your last post...

Chill the Hell out guy. Did that extra reply offend you personally? Did your computer burn down because a new post was made and it couldn't take the load? Get over it already.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
WickedAngel said:
Chill the Hell out guy. Did that extra reply offend you personally? Did your computer burn down because a new post was made and it couldn't take the load? Get over it already.

lol

LM4sure

Banned
I think this came a little too late. It was posted elsewhere much earlier. I got in on it, but was too excited to post it on GAF. Most orders will be canceled most likely.

Top Bottom