• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda lead designer says Starfield is "hardest thing Bethesda has ever done" and the best game they ever made

Cyberpunkd

You know this is one of those things where I believe this is entirely dependent on when you really engaged with the series. I'm not saying you're wrong, just Oblivion is my favourite. Morrowind was too much for my 12 year old brain to cope with at the time.
You know what to do:

Season 4 Reaction GIF by The Office

It’s on like 3€ for the Steam key.

Alebrije

Good we have next witcher and Even Kingdom come 2 in case next Elders scrolls it's a joke.

It seems studios like Bethesda and Ubisoft are fine with 6-7 scores on their products, they are not working for GOTY don't care to get 9-10 Review scores. Just throw average or Even mediocre games with a Big marketing camping and vuala :
todd-howard-it-just-works.gif

Last edited:
I mean.....that's a fair counter point, but "trollpher"? What the hell is that all about?

To me, Oblivion and Morrowind are their two best games ever and he didn't work on either of them based on his profile. That's my point. Why that offends you.....no clue.
He absolutely did work on oblivion though.

He was responsible for the dark brotherhood quest line, which makes his comments seem even more out of touch.

StueyDuck

They put a space skin on fallout.

Who would've thought adding some sub par vehicle segments (spaceship fights) between maps would be so difficult.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Would have been a hell of a lot better had they included the vehicle day one. I might have actually wanted to explore. But having to literally run for 5 to 10 minutes just to get to main quest objective sapped away whatever desire I had for exploring. So many things in this game were close to being great. If the game had been released today, I think reception would have been a lot better.
The best part of Fallout and Skyrim was wandering off the beaten path and getting involved in a full blown quest line. The system of Starfield replaced that with procedurally generated content. I do agree that Starfield did something’s well such as faction quests. But I still maintain it’s a 7/10 game at best.

Da1337Vinci

Sadly I think they did something different than usual but it ended up not being well received.

Either because the things they do differently is just too unfamiliar for the fanbase or just not matured enough design.

Nonetheless as creatives they have at least the joy of working on a new IP.
Especially in such a scale which is a rare occurrence in the gaming space.

RavageX

The issue goes a lot further.

Most of the planets have small and empty exploration areas that are at best populated by content that’s pretty much the same down to enemy placement.

So vehicle or not you hit that “wall” pretty quick. It kills off the major bonus of past Bethesda games, which is organically encountering interesting quests and locations.

This doesn’t really exist on randomly generated planets.
Yeah, I decided to simply explore and find that it seems 2 out of every 5 bases I visited were the exact same, down to the recorded logs and everything. Now...unless my game is bugged, that is just shitty.

The majority of this generation of Western Devs are fucking delusional because of Toxic Positivity and other shit.

We really need an entire industry reset. A hard reset.

Last edited:

ItJustWorks

Neo Member
They are so delusional, no wonder they make shit games now
Yep, can't stand when this happens. I swear these devs aren't the same as typical gamers. Their ego gets caught up in shit and they don't see things as objectively.

Thinking this is your best game tells me you are completely oblivious to what people are asking for that were in your older games. Meaning, you'll never change.

We want non repetitive hand written creative quests. Not radiant ones. We want soul, not just expanse.

ItJustWorks

Neo Member
I mean.....that's a fair counter point, but "trollpher"? What the hell is that all about?

To me, Oblivion and Morrowind are their two best games ever and he didn't work on either of them based on his profile. That's my point. Why that offends you.....no clue.
Oh he didn't work on them and he's the lead designer? We'll there you go. Bethesda is cooked.

Emedan

Im so sorry for those who expect anything decent out of that game, let alone hyped for it
Bro I bought an Xbox Series X for that game alone having been a TES fan since 2001.. I don't even own any games for it other than the old 360 Metal Gear HD Collection.. It's gonna be so fucked.

He absolutely did work on oblivion though.

He was responsible for the dark brotherhood quest line, which makes his comments seem even more out of touch.

Yeah, I don't know why he would omit that.

According to this he also worked on the Bloodmoon expansion for Morrowind.
Wth? Actually some of the best content Bethesda have ever released. (and like many others have said, yes Morrowind is the goat)

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I installed all 170ish gigs on my pc to try the dlc. I didn't even make to the starting point before uninstalling the game again. 🤣😭

lmimmfn

Their "best" is defined by the devs working on it so if this is their "best" then maybe they should look at their developer competence, it seems lacking.

It's a trend across all developers/publishers, complaining about all the increased costs but hiring devs(who are useless) just to meet ESG goals increasing costs and increasing game prices.

You reap what you sow!

Last edited:

Nasigil

HA!
Its just a joke, for whatever reason that name popped into my head one day when you were taking the piss out of some of the fresh meat. Just made me laugh, so I look forward to using it every so often!

Nah, don't get it twisted I am not offended...just want to point out the person has been there for 22 years...yes they may be "sniffing their own farts" or whatever but they have plenty of old war wounds I am sure.
You are putting way too much credit in to the work time length. I've seen plenty of old "experienced" employees who's really just been doing a mediocre/acceptable job of something very repetitive the whole time, never thought about improving or expanding their knowledge or skillset in anyway, and the firm just makes enough money to not needing to fire them. I'd take a talented freshmen over them any day.

When your end product is so underwhelming like Starfield, touting the "20 years of experience" is not even a good look.

Bulletzen72

I genuinely fell asleep playing this game. Not on a comfy couch on a console with a TV, but on a PC chair with mouse and keyboard. It is dull. The game world is dull. The writing is dull. The game engine is dull. Awful game. Not because it is necessarily bad but it is just dull. It's mediocre. Boring.

Top Bottom