• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S2 |OT| The Truth Is Just A Point Of View - Mondays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

rekameohs

Banned
Man, that was a hilarious episode. I love when they sprinkle those in every now and then. But Kim's definitely spitting the truth there at the end.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Man, that was a hilarious episode. I love when they sprinkle those in every now and then. But Kim's definitely spitting the truth there at the end.

I honestly hadn't even realize he did something that could bite him in the ass later on. I'm sure it won't but Kim is so squeaky clean that something like this doesn't sit well for her.

Good episode.

I still maintain my stance that Chuck is not a villain and he's partially right about Jimmy.

Jimmy's fucking this shit up himself. Falsifying evidence. Even Kim's already disappointed in him.

Sorry "Team 'Fuck Chuck'"

Okay, I figure I can get the quickest answer here. So I'm watching the series for the first time now on Netflix. And I am on Episode 7 and I've seen an easter egg I can't seem to confirm on any google searches. At the beginning of the episode, Mike is talking with his friend after sending Jimmy away and they're at the bottom of the frame while the most wanted pictures are all framed above them. Sitting right in the middle of the posters is either Gale Boetticher himself or someone that looks a hell of a lot like him. Is this a known thing?

Good episode.

I still maintain my stance that Chuck is not a villain and he's partially right about Jimmy.

Jimmy's fucking this shit up himself. Falsifying evidence. Even Kim's already disappointed in him.

Sorry "Team 'Fuck Chuck'"

Chuck is a narcissistic monster. Yes, Jimmy fucks up, but Chuck is one of those people that will ruin your fucking life in order to validate his worldview. Chuck is the cop that gets an ex-criminal to break the law because there's no possible way a criminal could even become good, right? Yes, Jimmy isn't the greatest fuckin' lawyer on Earth, but to Chuck, that means he shouldn't even try.

Chuck is living in a prison of his own making. He refuses to acknowledge that other people exist independently of him. Hell, he made himself psychosymatic and physically ill because he couldn't deal with other people possibly being different from the picture in his head. Chuck could very well be bipolar.

Chuck is a narcissistic monster. Yes, Jimmy fucks up, but Chuck is one of those people that will ruin your fucking life in order to validate his worldview.

Yeah, Jimmy fucks up. He's been working at the new law firm for a week and he's already doing things that could get him disbarred.

Chuck has his jealousy and resentment, but his intuition about Jimmy is not misplaced. I know Jimmy's the protagonist of the show, but as Breaking Bad illustrated you don't necessarily need to agree with the protagonists' decisions.

It reminds me of the subset of Breaking Bad fans who thought Skylar was the worst because she was sometimes a wet blanket on cool guy Walt shooting people and manufacturing dope and endangering his family. She may have been framed as an antagonist to Walt's impulses, but she wasn't necessarily in the wrong.

Yeah, Jimmy fucks up. He's been working at the new law firm for a week and he's already doing things that could get him disbarred.

Chuck has his jealousy and resentment, but his intuition about Jimmy is not misplaced. I know Jimmy's the protagonist of the show, but as Breaking Bad illustrated you don't necessarily need to agree with the protagonists' decisions.

It reminds me of the subset of Breaking Bad fans who thought Skylar was the worst because she was sometimes a wet blanket on cool guy Walt shooting people and manufacturing dope and endangering his family. She may have been framed as an antagonist to Walt's impulses, but she wasn't necessarily in the wrong.

Yeah, no. Not the same as a bunch of people shitting on Skylar because Walt is a male. Chuck is genuinely a shitty person. He's the exact same as Jimmy. Both want something but are too lazy to actually get it.

BBboy20

I absolutely could not handle that dude's fucking Ronald McDonald sneakers.
If Flash the TV show didn't exist right now, I would think the same.

How fucking incredible would it be if the show breaks from Breaking Bad continuity.
The moment Saul went into the court building and noticed the title, I thought maybe that would have been a What-If episode.

This show gives me a huge Grand Theft Auto vibe (the earlier games). Love it.
And yet no action most of the time...
Well, unless you count Saul "scoring".

wow...Mike is a gawd brehs
Mike is so good.
Mike is something.
Gotta love Mike. Too good.
Always good seeing Mike do work.
Has there ever been anyone as badass as Jonathan Banks as Mike Ehrmantraut? To think he was supposed to be a one-off character.
Fuck you, Walt. ;-;

I'm blown away by the casting on this show (and by extension Breaking Bad I guess). I seems like every character is played by the 100% perfect actor for the role. Odenkirk is knocking it out of the park. Please AMC don't screw it up!
It's funny recognizing plenty of these actors who seem to be typecasted in a lot more shitter works yet the creators take advantage of their routines and be part of what is now considered prestigious television. Just beautiful.

abd

Okay, I figure I can get the quickest answer here. So I'm watching the series for the first time now on Netflix. And I am on Episode 7 and I've seen an easter egg I can't seem to confirm on any google searches. At the beginning of the episode, Mike is talking with his friend after sending Jimmy away and they're at the bottom of the frame while the most wanted pictures are all framed above them. Sitting right in the middle of the posters is either Gale Boetticher himself or someone that looks a hell of a lot like him. Is this a known thing?

I think there is something in those pictures, but I can't remember what it is. There is a picture that looks like Gale, but I don't think it fits in the timeline to have him wanted.

Carl

Just caught the ep. Really really enjoyable and funny, the squat cobbler scene had me laughing. Also, Kim is great

awp69

Kim is out of Jimmy's league. So he should do everything he can to keep that fish hooked.

But I love the Saul persona so guess as a viewer you can't have everything...

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

Chuck has a hand in this behaviour though. Clearly he's always been the chosen one, and I feel Jimmy acts out because of that.

If Chuck supported him his entire life and wasn't actively sabotaging his chances at becoming a real lawyer, maybe he would have left all that stuff behind long ago.

-griffy-

Banned
I think it's worth remembering that Jimmy was a bit of a fuck up when he was younger. He would get into shenanigans with Marco, and there was that flashback last season of Chuck getting Jimmy out of jail. But he also made a real effort to turn things around. He got the job in the mail room, and put in serious work on his own time to pass the bar exam and become a lawyer. It was Chuck who couldn't accept this and began road blocking Jimmy, which in turn forced Jimmy to start doing whatever he could to get by. If Chuck wasn't there halting Jimmy's progress, he'd probably have been a successful lawyer at his brother's firm alongside Hamlin years ago.

Last year, Jimmy's main arc is finding an actual legal problem himself and doing good legal work to build a big case. It was only when Chuck revealed himself and what he'd done to Jimmy that Jimmy slipped back into his Slippin' Jimmy ways, and then made the proclamation at the end. This year, he ends up taking the job and again is doing good, legit work and things seem to be going well. It's only when Chuck shows up for no other reason than to make his presence known and shit on Jimmy that Jimmy takes the call from Mike and agrees to do a morally questionable favor.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
This is literally one of the least surprising things I've ever read. As I said at the time, it sounded like a Mr. Show sketch there for a hot second.

We really need a gag reel with that scene lol. I can only imagine.

I like this show more than Breaking Bad (which I liked a great deal, mind you).

As far as Chuck/anti-Chuck-- I think there's some nuance here. Chuck is not wrong that Jimmy will live down to his lowest expectations, but he also keeps those expectations low and undermines him. There's a concept of the belief/action cycle that says:

Your beliefs about yourself -> your actions -> others' beliefs about you -> their actions towards you -> [back to the start]

Jimmy's been trying to change himself for the better, but Chuck's never going to change his perception of Jimmy, and so acts in ways to hold him back. Jimmy in turn internalizes that view and acts out.

I'm convinced that this is intentional in the show, as Jimmy makes this moves (like taking the pro-bono and falsifying evidence) immediately after Chuck shows up to deliberately rain on his parade.

I'm on team Fuck Chuck even if Jimmy has a share of the blame. He fought for his brother, took care of him-- and Chuck refuses to see the good in him and thus reinforces the bad. Fuck Chuck.

Omzz

Glad to see the #FuckChuck movement is still going strong

Also I noticed the wording Kim used at the end about Jimmy "I cannot hear about this sorta thing" and not specifically saying don't do it again. Saul coming soon

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Amazing and hilarious episode. Odenkirk and Banks deserve awards, along with the actress that plays Kim. So good.

Jimmy's brother is a massive, massive jerk. If anything, he's the one who creates Saul Goodman. I hope there is some sort of redemption for Jimmy at the end of all of this.

I kind of feel like Jimmy should show up on Arrested Development at some point.

Jimmy's brother is a massive, massive jerk. If anything, he's the one who creates Saul Goodman.

Ridiculous. So Chuck being a jerk and not hiring Jimmy McGill, an individual without respect for the law, to his law firm he's solely responsible for that individual heading down a criminal path? Jimmy can't be an independent actor in all of this? Jimmy could have stuck it to Chuck by focusing on the good position he got down in Santa Fe and proving himself an upright lawyer. Instead he took doing things that could get him disbarred within a week, even giving somewhat of a "fuck you" to Kim who had been rooting for him in the process.

-griffy-

Banned
Ridiculous. So Chuck being a jerk and not hiring Jimmy McGill, an individual without respect for the law, to his law firm he's solely responsible for that individual heading down a criminal path? Jimmy can't be an independent actor in all of this? Jimmy could have stuck it to Chuck by focusing on the good position he got down in Santa Fe and proving himself an upright lawyer. Instead he took doing things that could get him disbarred within a week, even giving somewhat of a "fuck you" to Kim who had been rooting for him in the process.

Jimmy has problems that Chuck brings to the surface. It's not an either or scenario where only one of them is to blame. It's a self fulfilling cycle where Chuck doesn't trust or appreciate Jimmy because he's not a "real" lawyer, which makes Jimmy feel like shit and leads to self destructive behavior which causes Chuck to not trust or appreciate him....etc. Chuck absolutely has some responsibility, because with his support Jimmy wouldn't need to resort to self destructive tendencies.

Chuck is an asshole to Jimmy, I don't think you could debate that, but his view also isn't entirely without merit. Jimmy does stupid shit because of that even when he shouldn't, because of his own character flaws. I'll say fuck Chuck because I want him to have not been such an ass to Jimmy, and I'll also be disappointed in Jimmy for self destructing and doing stupid shit to jeopardize the good thing he has going between the job and Kim. But I also kind of want Jimmy to self destruct because it's clear he doesn't belong in that cushy job and he'll never feel comfortable with the spectre of his brother's expectations and disapproval hovering over him, and he'll only thrive when he embraces the shaky morals of Saul Goodman. But the success that comes with that will probably not be fulfilling either, since it will come at the expense of leaving a gaping hole in his personal life, so again I don't want him to self destruct. But I do because it's so damn entertaining to watch him do it.

This is why it's a good show with good drama, since it's not a black and white situation. It's a complex situation with well drawn characters who have plausible motivations.

Also fuck Chuck.

MrBadger

I kinda don't want to see Jimmy become Saul Goodman anymore...maybe he'd have stayed on the straight and narrow with a bit of encouragement from his brother, instead of all the insistence that he's a scumbag and a fuckup. Fucking Chuck, can't even play the piano without a metronome

Not heard about this but I don't think Gus Fring would hire a wanted man. (Breaking Bad season 4)
Someone working for him was seen by an eye witness and as a result his throat was slit

I kinda don't want to see Jimmy become Saul Goodman anymore...maybe he'd have stayed on the straight and narrow with a bit of encouragement from his brother, instead of all the insistence that he's a scumbag and a fuckup.
it's all pretty tragic. He could have had an amazing life with kim and his brother if his brother wasn't such a dick.

Brakke

Banned
I kinda don't want to see Jimmy become Saul Goodman anymore...maybe he'd have stayed on the straight and narrow with a bit of encouragement from his brother, instead of all the insistence that he's a scumbag and a fuckup. Fucking Chuck, can't even play the piano without a metronome

I loved the heck out of that little touch. The execution / production design on this show is so good.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Season is off to an amazing start. The quality of this show is outstanding. And man, do I love all those camera angles. They know the exact way to make it interesting without being overbearing.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Why can't they just marry and have baby's and retire happily. :((((((

Kim is out of Jimmy's league. So he should do everything he can to keep that fish hooked.

But I love the Saul persona so guess as a viewer you can't have everything...

Jimmy pls don't do this!

Keep Kim.

Goddamn it Saul. Don't fuck this up. Marry Kim, have babies, start a family and live happily ever after.

You people are too easy ;)

Kim x Jimmy only exist to fall apart and give birth to Saul.

Kim is the Padme Amidala of this show. I don't think she's gonna die of a broken heart... More like dump Jimmy's sorry ass when he chooses the thrill of scummy lawyering over stability.

NotLiquid

It feels like it's going to hurt a lot more to see Jimmy's lowest point than it was seeing Walter hit complete rock bottom, since as we've learned, Jimmy isn't the only actor in his own undoing despite bearing a lot of the responsibility for it. Like he said in the Season 1 finale - "I've been paying for that ever since". His downfall is going to sting so much more.

Maddocks

Chuck playing that piano, song reminded me of something that would have been played in Final Fantasy during a waltz scene or boss monologue, I loved it.

Fantastic episode. I feel like the show is starting to really come alive over these first two episodes. Sad to see there's only 10 each season...was hoping for it to settle into 13 like Breaking Bad.

It was renewed for 13 before the first even aired. Did they say somewhere that this changed?

Should I be concerned about the ratings? Dropped again, lowest rated episode yet. I don't wanna ser this cancelled before they finish telling the story

CassSept

I wasn't really hot on first episode ending with Jimmy accepting the job offer and I think Nacho should play a greater part in Jimmy's life - while he does appear a lot in the show, he is still only tangentially related to the main plot of the show. I realize they will eventually cross paths more and he might be instrumental in Jimmy becoming Saul, but they sure are taking their sweet time.

Mostly, it's the showrunners still torturing us with how Jimmy's life is finally getting on track when we know it won't last.

PS. I loooved the metronome scene and the ominousness of Chuck's arrival at the meeting. They're really playing his villainy up well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom