• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S2 |OT| The Truth Is Just A Point Of View - Mondays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

abd

Should I be concerned about the ratings? Dropped again, lowest rated episode yet. I don't wanna ser this cancelled before they finish telling the story

Now you have me worrying.
I think with the relationship they have with everyone they will be allowed to finish the story, but perhaps sooner than planned. Lets hope the 10 episodes seasons are the only compromise they are asked to make.

iFirez

I loved every scene with Jimmy and Kim, their on screen chemistry is great even if her character is probably going to drift off in a spectacular as she isn't ever seen in his later life. Mike as always rocks his scenes, glad to have a firm ending to the whole baseball card/drug dealer plot in episode 2 - I wonder how often that character will be used in upcoming episodes?

I love that the whole Squatcobbler scene is totally Jimmy being Saul - more of that! I don't like him sat in a fancy law firm doing 'real work'.

Also - I really really dislike Chuck. While the cinematography and acting surrounding the character is fantastic, I just can't stand him. Maybe that's the show doing it's job but I almost tune out and stop caring when he appears. A lot of the other supporting characters don't have this affect on me at all - it is just Chuck.

All these murmuring of low ratings and stuff scare me but hopefully the Netflix audience will keep this afloat for as long as it takes to tell the story we all know it is heading towards.

Badlucktroll

Gold Member
So, have people started making squat cobbler videos yet? Dutch apple ass? Full moon pie? I really really hope they do a full episode that takes place after Breaking Bad. I think in an interview Mr Odenkirk stated that it would happen eventually.

Calamari41

41 > 38
This show is so well written and so well acted... Nothing insane happens, there are very few "whoa!" moments, but I feel this pure disappointment when an episode ends. I just want to keep watching for hours. It doesn't rely on the whole "oh shit bros, who's gonna bite it at the end of the episode? What's the twist gonna be??" thing that a show like Game of Thrones relies on. It's just a great story all the way through, performed to perfection.

UrbanRats

This show is so well written and so well acted... Nothing insane happens, there are very few "whoa!" moments, but I feel this pure disappointment when an episode ends. I just want to keep watching for hours. It doesn't rely on the whole "oh shit bros, who's gonna bite it at the end of the episode? What's the twist gonna be??" thing that a show like Game of Thrones relies on. It's just a great story all the way through, performed to perfection.

Breaking Bad relied exactly on that though.

Calamari41

41 > 38

Definitely, which I'm not saying is necessarily a bad thing, and reflects the more "high stakes" nature of Breaking Bad's story. They're two very different shows, I'm just expressing my appreciation for Saul's style.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I bet Chuck laughed when Mufasa died.
You're not a real lion!

It really didn't. Breaking Bad had those moments sure, but it didn't rely on them and the performances and cinematography were amazing. Most of the week-to-week complaints about Breaking Bad when it was on were "Oh great another boring episode where nothing happened"

Pryce

I'm having more fun with this than I had with Breaking Bad.

While I still think BB is a little bit better, Saul makes it so much fun and interesting.

Plus Kim is great.

Should I be concerned about the ratings? Dropped again, lowest rated episode yet. I don't wanna ser this cancelled before they finish telling the story
Even with these lower ratings, it's still damn good for AMC. This beats most of everything that is aired on The CW.

Let's say AMC did cancel this, I'm sure Netflix would LOVE to pick up full blown exclusivity for the show in all regions.

I think Better Call Saul is pretty popular here in The Netherlands but I only have anecdotal evidence to support that. Netflix however is going all in with the advertising here. Last week they were putting BCS saddle covers on bicycles on my campus.

Megabat

Even with these lower ratings, it's still damn good for AMC. This beats most of everything that is aired on The CW.

Let's say AMC did cancel this, I'm sure Netflix would LOVE to pick up full blown exclusivity for the show in all regions.

Yeah, and that's why there's no way AMC drops it. They'd have to have zero holistic understanding of the show/streaming market.

ezekial45

Banned
Are the ratings that bad? Didn't the show debut at some pretty stellar numbers? I'd be bummed out if there were a big drop.

UrbanRats

It really didn't. Breaking Bad had those moments sure, but it didn't rely on them and the performances and cinematography were amazing. Most of the week-to-week complaints about Breaking Bad when it was on were "Oh great another boring episode where nothing happened"
You get that about every other tv show.

If you compare Breaking Bad with something like The Affair, Rectify or whatever, it made a much more prominent use of cliff hangers and shocking moments.
I don't see how that implies that it did it in place of characterization, performance or cinematography.
The amount of "Run!" moments BB had, were out of the ordinary compared to a lot of TV shows, but it doesn't necessarily mean the show has to be trashy TV like Lost.

Also, most of the complaints were either about Skylar, or about various logistical "impossibilities" ;).

this_guy

I'm enjoying this more than Breaking Bad at this point in Breaking Bad's life cycle. I didn't really like Breaking Bad until Saul Goodman showed up and we get introduced to Gus.

It was great watching Walt go back and forth between being Walt and Heisenberg, and now we're seeing something similar with Jimmy and Saul. The acting is superb.

-griffy-

Banned
Are the ratings that bad? Didn't the show debut at some pretty stellar numbers? I'd be bummed out if there were a big drop.

They aren't that bad, still one of the higher rated scripted shows for Monday night. It still had 2.2 million viewers, which is more than Breaking Bad had for much of its run. It's not stellar numbers, but it's solid numbers for basic cable. Stuff like Walking Dead or the final few episodes of Breaking Bad is exceptionally high, but I don't think Saul is in cancellation territory yet. And it's a critical and awards darling besides, and really the only show AMC currently has that going for it, so I think they'd be motivated to keep it around for that if nothing else.

But Breaking Bad hovered barely around 2 million for most of it's run, and then had a crazy meteoric rise from something like 2.7m to 10.2 million across the last 7 episodes of the series, or something crazy like that. As long as Saul doesn't completely crater in viewers, to below 1m per episode, then I think it's safe.

Got a chance to look at it again, and maybe it's not him. I know it doesn't fit any timeline, really. The person on the poster just looks like a heavier Gale on a decidedly bad day. Center row, fifth from the left.

KSBNJuf.jpg

Got a chance to look at it again, and maybe it's not him. I know it doesn't fit any timeline, really. The person on the poster just looks like a heavier Gale on a decidedly bad day. Center row, fifth from the left.

KSBNJuf.jpg

Yeah, it doesn't really look that much like him. And the long hair, beard, and overall tough-guy expression just looks somewhat out of character for Gale.

Drazgul

I loved every scene with Jimmy and Kim, their on screen chemistry is great even if her character is probably going to drift off in a spectacular as she isn't ever seen in his later life.

Wouldn't be surprised if she dies because of Jimmy's shenanigans before this is all over.

Weasley

I think Better Call Saul is pretty popular here in The Netherlands but I only have anecdotal evidence to support that. Netflix however is going all in with the advertising here. Last week they were putting BCS saddle covers on bicycles on my campus.
That's pretty awesome (fellow Dutchie here). Do you study in Amsterdam, at Uva perhaps? Would make sense since Netflix NL HQ is located at the center of Amsterdam.

About episode 2; that look on Chuck's face at the office made me think of the look on Livia Soprano's face in that all too famous Sopranos ep...

I loved every scene with Jimmy and Kim, their on screen chemistry is great even if her character is probably going to drift off in a spectacular as she isn't ever seen in his later life. Mike as always rocks his scenes, glad to have a firm ending to the whole baseball card/drug dealer plot in episode 2 - I wonder how often that character will be used in upcoming episodes?

I love that the whole Squatcobbler scene is totally Jimmy being Saul - more of that! I don't like him sat in a fancy law firm doing 'real work'.

Also - I really really dislike Chuck. While the cinematography and acting surrounding the character is fantastic, I just can't stand him. Maybe that's the show doing it's job but I almost tune out and stop caring when he appears. A lot of the other supporting characters don't have this affect on me at all - it is just Chuck.

All these murmuring of low ratings and stuff scare me but hopefully the Netflix audience will keep this afloat for as long as it takes to tell the story we all know it is heading towards.

The ratings are good for cable, it's still a top ten or close to top ten rated show for the week.

I was just reading an old Sepinwall interview with Peter Gould about how the show started, and it made me think about how much I feared that a Saul spinoff would be a cheap, bad cash in.

So glad to have been wrong!

rekameohs

Banned
Who's saying low ratings? I haven't heard that at all. 2.3 mil is more than Breaking Bad ever made outside of its final half season. That show would struggle to crack 1 million for the majority of its run.

Alpende

Loved the episode. The moment Chuck came on I hated him again, Kim giving Jimmy his confidence back during the meeting was great.

It seems like Mike is the cause of Jimmy becoming Saul Goodman. Really looking forward to his transition.

Vlad

Just listening to the podcast. They actually made the squat cobbler video with Pryce and it's gonna be on the Blu-ray.

Actually, they made it sound like it might be in an upcoming episode, too. All that "I don't know how we might see that video" stuff sounded like it had a huge wink attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom