• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S2 |OT| The Truth Is Just A Point Of View - Mondays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Wow at that promo

Jim Beaver reprises his Breaking Bad role looks like

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Accidentally saw the preview, spoilers:
Looked like Jim Beaver? Walt bought a gun from him in BB

IronRinn

This is probably way too much of a long shot (heh, long shot) but
was that the same gun dealer Walt went to in Breaking Bad?

Edit: Guess it was! Nice!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Oh Jimmy. He knew they'd never sign off on that video, so he not only does something they won't approve of, but deliberately does it behind their backs. That's not how you ingratiate yourself.

Oh Jimmy. He knew they'd never sign off on that video, so he not only does something they won't approve of, but deliberately does it behind their backs. That's not how you ingratiate yourself.
That other video wouldn't have done shit and he knew it. Then he'd have no new clients and Chuck would make him look bad considering client outreach is his job. Lose lose.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Many will dismiss this as a slow moving episode (Sepinwall, for example), but these kinds of board-setting episodes are some of the underrated ones that make the most difference in the long run.

Many will dismiss this as a slow moving episode (Sepinwall, for example), but these kinds of board-setting episodes are some of the underrated ones that make the most difference in the long run.
Sepinwall is kind of a tool IMO. Anyway the avclub review explains why this show is great. Nothing we haven't said here but it's true.

Gilligan and Gould are doubling down on their radical narrative strategy of simplicity. Characters pause before they make decisions. The small and finite set of contexts and causes impinging on them is clearly delineated. Consequences proceed directly from actions. And at the end of every episode, Jimmy and Mike, the protagonists of the only two plotlines, have moved a few spaces along a game board whose finish line is already set, and we know exactly what to anticipate the next time we see them.

But simple doesn’t mean simplistic. Because the plots are stripped down and moved forward step by step, we strategize alongside the characters. Because their decisions are given a generous cushion of narrative space, we hang suspended with them in their pivotal moments. Because the stakes are clear, we feel the existential weight shift from the anxiety of a free agent to the nausea of a condemned victim.

Consider how much psychological ground that covers, and how spare and spacious are the scenes that guide us through it. A Better Call Saul episode never feels rushed or overstuffed. The breathing room the viewers are given could be mistaken, by viewers used to prestige complexity, for lack of incident. But even a cursory analysis belies that notion. It’s because we always know where we are and what’s at stake—because we never worry that the creators are waiting to ambush us with some bit of backstory or left-field complication—that we are given the chance to travel so far and empathize so deeply.

Read it all http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/better-call-sauls-showmanship-has-one-simple-secre-232958

Vlad

Can anyone explain how the bus scene at the start qualities as solicitation?

From what I understood from the information presented in the episode, lawyers apparently aren't allowed to go talk to clients in person to try to get them to hire them. While he was technically only speaking to the one woman who returned the mailer, he was very deliberately doing it within earshot of the other residents.

EDIT: Yeah, according to the American Bar Association's rules for solicitation of clients:

A lawyer shall not by in‑person, live telephone or real-time electronic contact solicit professional employment when a significant motive for the lawyer's doing so is the lawyer's pecuniary gain

So that's why the mailers that were sent out were ok, but Jimmy's bus stunt was questionable.

Now that I read that over, though, it makes me wonder what Jimmy was doing in the first season (before all the Sandpiper fraud was even discovered) would violate that rule. He was going around the nursing home, handing out business cards to people. While it wasn't for a specific case, he was still soliciting clients.

Hahaha, if you call the phone number in the ad it sounds legit, asks if you are a resident of Sandpiper and tells you that you may be eligible to participate in a class action lawsuit and to leave your name and number. Not Jimmy's voice unfortunately, don't think its anyone from the show. The phone number is 505-242-7700

And yeah, I was dreading and excited at the shadowy figure at the end, thought it might be Gustavo Fring with all the chicken coops or whatever around. "Hi Mike, I am really passionate about fried chicken and I want you in on the ground floor. We also sell drugs."

Why didn't Mike just tell his daughter in law he was outside the house all night and what she heard was newspapers? She'd get pissed for not listening to him?

TK-421

I also got fooled into thinking that was Gus at the end with the apparent chicken fencing. Kudos to the director for setting it up that way.

Grinchy

Banned
Why didn't Mike just tell his daughter in law he was outside the house all night and what she heard was newspapers? She'd get pissed for not listening to him?

I think he can see she's just losing it a little bit. The house reminds her of her dead husband and the trouble he was getting himself into. She's just scared all the time and the only solution Mike can think of is to just get her into a new house. It doesn't matter that the threat isn't actually real.

Madouu

Now that I read that over, though, it makes me wonder what Jimmy was doing in the first season (before all the Sandpiper fraud was even discovered) would violate that rule. He was going around the nursing home, handing out business cards to people. While it wasn't for a specific case, he was still soliciting clients.

Jimmy even mentions it when he has his discussion with Kim after the meeting, that what he was doing when he was building the case with Chuck was indeed solicitation and it didn't bother the latter at the time. It just shows that Chuck is out to get him and will look for any opportunity to make him look bad.

RaidenXZ

That commercial they made killed me! Especially since they mentioned how they didn't have a dollie to use so they improvised and used the old lady's stairlift to make the sweeping shot of the woman on the rocking chair hahahaha

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
God damn, was it necessary to air the video without showing it? Did the boss liked the idea.

Saul man what the fuck.

glaw52

That commercial they made killed me! Especially since they mentioned how they didn't have a dollie to use so they improvised and used the old lady's stairlift to make the sweeping shot of the woman on the rocking chair hahahaha

Wow, I didn't even notice that. Awesome touch by the director.

PepperedHam

The dude knew he had a hit and he knew there was a shot it wouldn't get approved, this guy knows what works and he couldn't let what he had go to waste. Although his boss liked the idea for a commercial, it's obvious the partners are more in favor of those boring lawyer ads that I still see on TV even IRL.

Wads

Banned
Damn Jimmy, couldn't have waited until next week when Stan Sitwell got back to the office?

He was back in the office. He chickened out before he went in. I guess he thought he would reject it, and was better off trying to do it and say sorry later, assuming success.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Glad that we're finally getting into high stakes crime, can't wait to see Mike break bad.

[edit]

Fuck Chuck and his stupid little suit that made me think my speakers broke. Stupid fuck face.

I HOPE NACHO KILLS YOU CHUCK

Sober

Fuck the boss, and fuck Chuck.

That is all.
Cliff Main is reasonable, I mean he really should've had that vetted by the partners before airing it. But blame Chuck. #fuckchuck, he pretty much goes to the meetings to goad Jimmy into being his worst, and Jimmy continually falls for it, and Chuck knows that.

Cliff Main is reasonable, I mean he really should've had that vetted by the partners before airing it. But blame Chuck. #fuckchuck, he pretty much goes to the meetings to goad Jimmy into being his worst, and Jimmy continually falls for it, and Chuck knows that.

Pretty soon Chuck won't have to worry about it anymore, once Jimmy gets fired or disbarred, whichever comes first.

Jimmy's unwillingness to take others advice on ethics is as much a snub to Kim, Howard, and Clifford who all stuck their neck out for Jimmy. Especially Kim, she really put her career advancement at HHM at risk by going to bat for Jimmy in a big way.

Chuck was right. Jimmy isn't cut out for working at a big law firm. And Jimmy's kind of an ass for not taking Kim's advice to straighten up and fly right, considering how much she has riding on it.

another great episode.

Jimmy did fuck up by airing the ad without Cliff's approval. Yeah, he assumed he wouldn't get the green light, but it was wrong to air it without permission. It's showing Jimmy's inexperience working in a big firm. Also, where did they find that flat screen 4:3 TV in Jimmy's apartment?

I have a feeling that Mike's daughter-in-law is suffering from some sort of PTSD. Some people thinking she's manipulating Mike into giving her more money, but I don't think she's in any serious financial troubles. I think the fact she's still living in that house reminds her of her husband, and knowing how he died, she always paranoid that someone is trying to go after her. She probably still resents Mike on some level because he did indirectly cause his death, so it explains her behavior towards Mike.

I'm also glad it's not Gus at the end. They even shot it in a way to troll the viewers lol
B
R
A
VINCE
O

Pretty soon Chuck won't have to worry about it anymore, once Jimmy gets fired or disbarred, whichever comes first.

Jimmy's unwillingness to take others advice on ethics is as much a snub to Kim, Howard, and Clifford who all stuck their neck out for Jimmy. Especially Kim, she really put her career advancement at HHM at risk by going to bat for Jimmy in a big way.

Chuck was right. Jimmy isn't cut out for working at a big law firm. And Jimmy's kind of an ass for not taking Kim's advice to straighten up and fly right, considering how much she has riding on it.
I think Jimmy is trying to screw everyone right now. He has pretty much been told he's not good enough and has tried to tell everyone that he knows what he's doing but they don't believe him. He just wants to help people so it's 'S'all good, man.

Yeah he doesn't do things the "right way" but you can tell he just wants to help no matter what the cost is.

I have a feeling Kim is trying to play him in someway.....I don't know how but I don't trust her.

Grinchy

Banned
Chuck is definitely only the "bad guy" because we like Jimmy. Chuck is actually completely right. He knows his brother's slippery ways and he has a reason to want to protect the firm and this case. If Jimmy is really doing exactly what Chuck assumes Jimmy is doing (and he is) then the whole firm can be hurt by it.

Everyone else sees Jimmy as something he isn't, but Chuck knows exactly what is going on.

Grinchy

Banned
Chuck is right but its still all his fault for holding Jimmy back when he tried to go legit

True, but it's like having a brother who is a drug addict. You've seen all the shit and you've bailed him out a million times so you're always going to be skeptical. And he's shown that his skepticism was pretty founded because Jimmy wants to scam more than he wants to genuinely practice law.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
He's basically his own worse enemy, which is kind of why this is all tragic. I mean, we know that he has to burn all his bridges because he changes his name and either bails on his family/friends or is abandoned by them.

I wonder what will happen when we catch up to the Cinnabon-Jimmy though. I almost expect the series to end with him reading a newspaper article about Walt going out in a blaze of gunfire against the Neo Nazis and being pissed that Walt gets all the fame while he's stuck in a dead end life being afraid all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom