• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S2 |OT| The Truth Is Just A Point Of View - Mondays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
The self destructive parallels with Walter are astounding. Kind of makes you wonder why Mike ends up liking him, since he consistently shows his disdain for sloppy criminals.

His character this season really reminds me of Edward Norton's in Rounders. Even when he has a leg up, he feels like he has to game someone in order to get that rush. How hard could it have been to organize a 20 minute meeting with one of the partners to screen the commercial? He'd already brought it up as a possibility. Showing it, even if it sucked, would be more than enough to show initiative and resourcefulness. He's unturned intentionally sticking his neck out and hoping to get it chopped off.

I agree with the self-destructive parallels between Walter and Jimmy, but I disagree about Jimmy being sloppy. Jimmy is loose, not sloppy.

More, I think there's difference between someone like Jimmy, who might be loose but thinks on his feet, and actual sloppy criminals in the Kettleman's / Skinny Pete/Badger lane

Henkka

Banned
This season is super boring so far.

I can see how you'd find it boring, but to me the slow pace and relatively low stakes are so comfy and chill. It's nice to watch something where there's no murder and violence, just incredibly well-written characters bouncing off of each other.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I can see how you'd find it boring, but to me the slow pace and relatively low stakes are so comfy and chill. It's nice to watch something where there's no murder and violence, just incredibly well-written characters bouncing off of each other.

oh boy are you going to love the rest of the season

Yeah, S1E1 was kind of a red herring for the rest of the series so far, and I'm much happier for it.

Two episodes this season featured tension over stolen baseball cards. I'm okay with that.

Calderc

This really isn't the show I wanted.

Which is why I'm not a writer, as the show we've gotten is perfect and unquestionably better than the one I wanted.

Vlad

Maybe this was supposed to be obvious but who does nacho need killed?

We don't know yet.

The self destructive parallels with Walter are astounding. Kind of makes you wonder why Mike ends up liking him, since he consistently shows his disdain for sloppy criminals.

I don't remember any scene with Saul and Mike in BB where it was at all indicated that Mike liked him. Mike was doing jobs for him, but that was about it. Keep in mind that he even threatened Saul when he was trying to track down Jesse (which lead to Huel's employment).

Plus Walt is dangerous in a way Jimmy isn't. Walt got to a point that
he was willing to remove anyone in his way, and Mike could see that he was going to ruin everything Gus had built. And surprise, Gus and Mike both ended up dead because of Walt.

That always bothered me, that idea that Walt destroyed Gus' empire because of his pride. He did it because Gus would have had Jesse killed, would have had Walt killed if he didn't take out Gale first, was going to kill Hank, and treatened to kill Walt's family if he tried to stop him.

Sure, Walt was a prideful asshole, but Mike's whole "you and your pride" rant to Walt at the end always rang kind of false to me. I eventually just chalked it up to Gus not keeping him informed about that side of the business at the end.

I saw it coming, but yeah, I'm absolutely dreading next week's meeting. That scene was too real

Leaving that plotline where it was was a great touch. We're right there with Jimmy, anxious for the meeting in the morning.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
One thing that surprised me was how disappointed everyone was that the Mike meeting and asked-for-by-name was not with Gus. C'mon people. This is the long way 'round to Gus.

My operating theory is that Nacho wants to have Tuco wacked, but I can't remember if Mike and Tuco had crossed paths (or if Mike acknowledged he knew him before) in Breaking Bad.

I'm also kinda expecting Nacho to want his dad from the upholstery store taken out, which would 1) set up an amazing arc about family honor (esp. wrt Tuco) and 2) really test Mike's depth of need and depravity to do crime in the name of money.

Fury451

Banned
I expect something far more tragic considering the way Jimmy's life is going.

Like she orders a Cinnabon, takes a bite, realizes it's from Jimmy, and then chokes and dies.

This made me laugh, as horrible as it is.

Another good episode. It's weird, because the show doesn't really have a lot of what you would call thrilling moments, but the performances are so good that it carries everything no problem.

Tankard

Amazing how I went from feeling affection for Chuck to pure hatred, what a heartless son of a b...

Loving the season so far, it's really something how at the beginning you keep asking to see Saul coming together and now i want nothing to do with it, hurts to think he will go that route.

One thing that surprised me was how disappointed everyone was that the Mike meeting and asked-for-by-name was not with Gus. C'mon people. This is the long way 'round to Gus.

My operating theory is that Nacho wants to have Tuco wacked, but I can't remember if Mike and Tuco had crossed paths (or if Mike acknowledged he knew him before) in Breaking Bad.

I'm also kinda expecting Nacho to want his dad from the upholstery store taken out, which would 1) set up an amazing arc about family honor (esp. wrt Tuco) and 2) really test Mike's depth of need and depravity to do crime in the name of money.

What about an outside possibility of Pryce? His dumb ass already talked to the cops on two occasions about the baseball cards. Mike tried to mediate that last episode, but I imagine Nacho doesn't feel very comfortable about whether Pryce might talk.

MrBadger

What about an outside possibility of Pryce? His dumb ass already talked to the cops on two occasions about the baseball cards. Mike tried to mediate that last episode, but I imagine Nacho doesn't feel very comfortable about whether Pryce might talk.

If Nacho wanted Playuh dead, he could easily just take him out. It's not like he's smart enough to take precautions after he was so easily robbed. Nacho probably called in Mike because he has a bigger enemy that he'd actually need his skills for.

That always bothered me, that idea that Walt destroyed Gus' empire because of his pride. He did it because Gus would have had Jesse killed, would have had Walt killed if he didn't take out Gale first, was going to kill Hank, and treatened to kill Walt's family if he tried to stop him.

It's true that Walt's hands were tied, but there's a scene earlier on where they're talking in a bar and Walt's trying to get Mike to help him kill Gus, which was before he had his sights set on killing Hank, who only became a danger because Walt drunkenly encouraged him to keep the investigation going rather than closing the book with Gale being Heisenberg. There were loads of careless mistakes Walt made because of his pride, even if he was justified in saving Jesse by killing the dealers.

-griffy-

Banned
Just caught the episode. How could they end it there! Glad Nacho is gonna be more involved though. And dammit Jimmy. He wants so hard to be the successful lawyer to impress Kim that he's taking stupid shortcuts and lying to her.

Carbonox

This show is amazing. Even though the episodes are a lot slower I'm even more gripped than before. It's just so fucking well made that I'm legitimately reacting to events that unfold.

RDreamer

Great episode. It's crazy they can still think of ways to make Jimmy "slip" and kind of do something wrong but at the same time have you really behind him. He's smart as hell at what he's doing and it's as frustrating for the viewer to see him stuffed in this box of corporate lawyer as it must be for him. I feel like they really could have fucked up the balance of this stuff, but they're writing this just brilliantly.

Love it. Can't get enough. Also can't wait to see what happens with Mike.

Jimmy trying to pull a fast one with the commercial makes complete sense for his character. He couldn't stand the possibility of the commercial getting shot down; it would mean not only humiliation, but it would call into question his entire method of lawyering.

Jimmy KNOWS he's right, that this will work and that it's what's best for the residents of sandpiper. And he'd rather bet on that commercial and those results winning his boss over than on himself and his abilities.

I saw it more as him knowing that Chuck would rip it apart for petty reasons and potentially embarrass Jimmy

Grinchy

Banned
So where is that story line with Mike's daughter in law headed?

He wants to get her out of the house. To do that, he has to buy a house. To do that, he needs money. To get that kind of money, he has to take on more "next-level" jobs. Those jobs require killing. This turns Mike into the Mike we know from Breaking Bad.

LQX

Ugh, I now get why Jimmy's brother is the way he is towards him. He cant help but fuck up a situation no matter how much it is in his favor.

Corpekata

Banned
I saw it more as him knowing that Chuck would rip it apart for petty reasons and potentially embarrass Jimmy

Chuck wouldn't really be involved. Jimmy was more put into the position by the other commercial, where the assitant mentions they had multiple meetings just to discuss a wavy background, which means even if he pitched the commercial, it would've been sucked into a corporate blackhole at best case scenario.

He wants to get her out of the house. To do that, he has to buy a house. To do that, he needs money. To get that kind of money, he has to take on more "next-level" jobs. Those jobs require killing. This turns Mike into the Mike we know from Breaking Bad.

I imagine he means her being crazy and making the gunshots up. The story doesn't really make sense as a pressure point for Mike because Mike knows she's being delusional and getting her out of that house won't fix whatever's wrong with her.

rekameohs

Banned
Ugh, I now get why Jimmy's brother is the way he is towards him. He cant help but fuck up a situation no matter how much it is in his favor.

It's sort of a chicken and egg thing at this point. Jimmy wouldn't be fucking everything up right now if Chuck hadn't screwed him over, but Chuck wouldn't have acted that way if Jimmy hadn't already been that type of person.

It's a really interesting relationship because Chuck's one of the people who best knows who Jimmy truly is, but he's also the one enabling the "chimp with a machine gun".

Oh yeah, and fuck him. :p

Oh, I thought maybe she was losing her mind or something.

Klocker

I thought mikes daughter was straight up playing him to help her move up to a better situation.

And of course Mike knows this he just wants to help her anyway

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I thought mikes daughter was straight up playing him to help her move up to a better situation

It felt like he kind of thought the same thing but he cared more about his granddaughter than being used.

[edit]

Ha, you edited your post to say what I was typing.

JoeNut

Up to date on this show now and love it, Jimmy is a great character who you just want to do well, I'm glad he's left the Chinese nail salon though, I felt sorry for the Koi's

Grinchy

Banned
Oh, I thought maybe she was losing her mind or something.

I think she is. She's paranoid. The house reminds her of her dead husband who died because he wasn't a crooked enough cop. She's probably just scared that whoever killed her husband might come back someday to finish off her or her daughter.

I think that to her, being in that house makes her a target. And Mike can see all of that. So he feels like if he can get her out of there, she'll stop feeling so paranoid. And of course he feels like his son's death is his fault, so he's responsible for his son's wife's well-being.

Corpekata

Banned
I really doubt she's "playing him." at least on purpose. He's a retired cop working at a toll booth. He gives her money but not "buy me a new house" money and she doesn't know enough about him to glean how far he could go like we do as the audience.

She's either going nuts or it's a cry for attention in some way, not directly related to money.

Chuck wouldn't really be involved. Jimmy was more put into the position by the other commercial, where the assitant mentions they had multiple meetings just to discuss a wavy background, which means even if he pitched the commercial, it would've been sucked into a corporate blackhole at best case scenario.

I imagine he means her being crazy and making the gunshots up. The story doesn't really make sense as a pressure point for Mike because Mike knows she's being delusional and getting her out of that house won't fix whatever's wrong with her.

It looks like she's on meth

I thought mikes daughter was straight up playing him to help her move up to a better situation.

And of course Mike knows this he just wants to help her anyway

Really? I straight up think she's suffering from PTSD. She doesn't need to hear newspapers hitting the pavement to make up gunshot stories, and her reaction to Mike even suggesting another explanation to the chipped wall was borderline hysterical.

Alpende

I'm really like the season so far. The reaction of the partners on Jimmy's commercial should be interesting and I liked seeing the pig toy that Mike used in BB.

Nacho and Mike team up is great too, wonder who's gonna get whacked.

UrbanRats

I really doubt she's "playing him." at least on purpose. He's a retired cop working at a toll booth. He gives her money but not "buy me a new house" money and she doesn't know enough about him to glean how far he could go like we do as the audience.

She's either going nuts or it's a cry for attention in some way, not directly related to money.
Yeah she came off more as paranoid than anything malicious, to me.

Mike obviously picked up on that, or he would've offered to sleep the night there, again.
-
I was also annoyed by Jimmy's stupidity, given the fact that the commercial was completely inoffensive in any way, and no sane person would've had anything against it, so his self sabotage felt really like a stupid ass move.
But i guess it does make sense for the character, and his obsession to play everyone around him.
Old habits die hard.

Gotta hand it to the writing team, making a show about old people getting overcharged for toilet paper, this fun to watch, isn't an easy feat.

samn

I was also annoyed by Jimmy's stupidity, given the fact that the commercial was completely inoffensive in any way, and no sane person would've had anything against it, so his self sabotage felt really like a stupid ass move.

The point is that his law farm would have had something against it. Recall the earlier scene where a blue swirl was enough to cause the partners concern.

UrbanRats

The point is that his law farm would have had something against it. Recall the earlier scene where a blue swirl was enough to cause the partners concern.

I know, but it just seemed forced, nevertheless.
Jimmy's boss seems a little goofy, but not a complete idiot.

Brakke

Banned
So where is that story line with Mike's daughter in law headed?

That relationship is so complicated. It seems like a good thing -- and obviously Mike + granddaughter is great -- but also her whole gunshot story? Big bullshit. Mike letting himself be manipulated into helping her out bigger than he should.

samn

I know, but it just seemed forced, nevertheless.
Jimmy's boss seems a little goofy, but not a complete idiot.

It's not idiotic or unrealistic for him to protect his firm's reputation over the case.

For a partner, this is just one of many cases, and winning it is not worth even a slight dent to their brand. For Jimmy, and the viewer, this case is everything. He wouldn't be able to reason with his boss because his boss would have legitimate reasons for not wanting to air the ad.

Mike letting himself be manipulated is kind of sad because you know the only reason he doesn't confront her about it is because they're all he has, especially his grandaughter. Which is of course the entire motivation of doing all the shit he does that eventually makes him run into Walt.

Moff

Is Mike really being manipulated? Did I get that wrong?
I thought is daughter in law is genuinley anxious. And Mike realized she would never be comfortable in that house, that's why he did not confront her about it with the real source of the "gunshots".

Is Mike really being manipulated? Did I get that wrong?
I thought is daughter in law is genuinley anxious. And Mike realized she would never be comfortable in that house, that's why he did not confront her about it with the real source of the "gunshots".
manipulated is a strong word but she's definitely not paranoid to the extent some are saying. She probably feels unsafe in her neighborhood (not a lie) and lied about the gunshot on the house (And Mike knows she lied), just to get out of her house and move with Mike. But obviously that takes money he doesn't have.

So she did manipulate a bit there to get what she wanted but I'm sure she did actually not like her hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom