• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S2 |OT| The Truth Is Just A Point Of View - Mondays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.
But then Jimmy is just giving her money to open her own firm.
Yeah, I think she seriously misread his original overture. From her perspective, all he wants is someone to "witness" his hustle to the top, so I don't think she's knowingly taking advantage of him.

She thinks her compromise is doing him a favor, and probably doesn't believe that he genuinely wanted her to share equally as a partner in his dream, which is sad because they're so perfect and cute together ;__;

;__;

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Maybe, but they aren't sharing a practice, they will just each have their own offices in the same building with their own names and incorporation or whatever, they won't legally be connected. They could get offices next to each other in a multi-story office building and nobody would probably make any connection between the two.

Except they're paying for the building, together. Under Kim's offer, they're both "co-owners" of the business/building. This means if Jimmy is breaking the law, no matter how much Kim protests she's complicit in knowing where that money is possibly coming from. She can't just say "Oh, I didn't know" if they're keeping a record of managing the building together. The only difference under her counter-offer is them keeping their clients and "business"/trail management separate.

Wexler AND McGill means they're still together.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Kim really didn't want to say anything about her past. Feels like there's something there. Like maybe she has the opposite background to Jimmy's, with her family having a criminal history and she's been doing everything possible to stay within the lines.

bender

What time is it?
While I understand Jimmy wanting to be on his own, I'm disappointed he's trying to drag Kim along with him. That just seems selfish, even by his standards. And like Kim said, he already "has her".

Kim really didn't want to say anything about her past. Feels like there's something there. Like maybe she has the opposite background to Jimmy's, with her family having a criminal history and she's been doing everything possible to stay within the lines.

I was thinking abuse of some sort.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

^^^^^^^^^^^^EVERYONE READ THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
oh hey let's look at the Kansas - Nebraska border:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/K...2!3m1!1s0x87a31771717c016b:0x68c2b4a94b3e095f

What's that?

2029700_KS_Hamlin.png

:eek:

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
^ Damn.

Yeah, I had a feeling that when they asked her "where were you headed", she'd blurt out "oh to jail probably". xD I wonder if she was a grifter like Slippin' Jimmy, after all.

Why the hell did he do that? I mean, he seriously couldn't wait out the year?
Why wait a year when he can force their hand right away? Jimmy's essentially the kind of person who likes to do everything on a whim without thinking of the consequences, or gambling that the worst case doesn't happen. It tends to bite him in the ass more often than not, but the times it does work (like with his earlier hustling and his bonus this episode) encourages the behavior. I think he works it out of his system by the time Breaking Bad starts, but we're going to see this trait biting him in the ass until then.

Besides, a year can feel like forever if you really don't like the place you're working at, benefits be damned.

But that's wrong. If she's attaching her name to him under the "one roof" she's pretty much going to have a reputation hit if anything he does comes to light because she's "associated" with him. Again, I don't get why she would do that if she purposely knows he's gonna flaunt the law.
I think it's a matter of her wanting to have her cake and eat it too. She likes the idea of working with Jimmy, but not working with Jimmy. She's trying to have it both ways, and I feel like it's only going to end up hurting her all the more for it.

Maybe. I kinda took it to mean that she really doesn't know what she wants to do after all. She's in law and moving up the ranks, but it seems like she's doing it purely for the sake of "moving up." She doesn't have an endgame, just a vague aspiration she's trying to fulfill with a career in law.

Er I dont get it.

I dont get why Jimmy would want to suddenly start his own firm and quit. Or why Kim would agree to it. Seems so risky.

Damn, that was a good episode.

Dat montage.

Kim not gonna take the offer?!?! Still, looking forward to her finally letting Howard know what she's gonna do.

Anyone else think that maybe Kim was in deep shit and Hamlin helped her out? And that's why he's disappointed that she's associating too much with Jimmy aka Charlie Hustle?

Good bye, Omar.

rekameohs

Banned
Man, this season is knocking it out. Of. The. Park!

That's gotta be near the top of the BCS/BrBa montages, right up there with some good company. I don't know why I'd ever doubt Vince & Peter & crew, but they're still surprising me with how they're so consistently so good with this show.

I'm very excited where the Jimmy Kimmy storyline is going, especially as Jimmy's slips get worse. And I do hope that Mike is not the cause of Hector's ailment, since that'd be a little too cute for me, but I think that they're going to pull a fast one on us and not have that happen in his story. Also, I hope Howard remains an important player in this story. His story and motivations are some of the most interesting to me since we don't know too much about the man yet.

edit: And oh man, Kim's from near Omaha. There's still a glimmer of a hope for our boy Gene....!

Grinchy

Banned
Er I dont get it.

I dont get why Jimmy would want to suddenly start his own firm and quit. Or why Kim would agree to it. Seems so risky.

You don't get why Jimmy would do something risky? Maybe you missed the first 16 episodes and all of Breaking Bad.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
But that's wrong. If she's attaching her name to him under the "one roof" she's pretty much going to have a reputation hit if anything he does comes to light because she's "associated" with him. Again, I don't get why she would do that if she purposely knows he's gonna flaunt the law.

That's what I was thinking as well. I don't think she's fully thought this through...

rekameohs

Banned
For some reason, it bugged me that the can doesn't match what Hansen's design was in the early 2000s, heh.

Hah, there's plenty of anachronisms in this show (and in Breaking Bad), mainly in the car models. We'll just take our Chia Pet and Billy Mays ads to keep our minds in the early 2000s.

zewone

I wished I enjoyed the show as much as some of you do.

I'm just watching because I'm a Breaking Bad fan, but y'all are really excited for an episode about Jimmy getting fired, Kim going on an interview and Mike house shopping.

"Best. Episode. Ever."

I don't get it.

rekameohs

Banned
y'all are really excited for an episode about Jimmy getting fired, Kim going on an interview and Mike house shopping.

See, this is just stating the plot. And for me, plot is very, very minor to what entertains me in good TV. I like characters, actors playing off each other's chemistry, visual choices, and things that you won't see by just reading a plot summary. And the BCS characters are just written excellently in my eyes. It's exciting to see where the characters are going and what their future interactions with one another are going to be. If we go back to Breaking Bad, it's why bottle episodes like Four Days Out and Fly were some of the best in my opinion despite their plots being describable in one sentence, because they contained some of the greatest Walt+Jesse moments: comedic, dramatic, what have you.

It's different strokes for different folks, but it's pushing all of my buttons in the right way.

Joyful

I'm just watching because I'm a Breaking Bad fan, but y'all are really excited for an episode about Jimmy getting fired, Kim going on an interview and Mike house shopping.

"Best. Episode. Ever."

I don't get it.
does jimmy have to make meth and be an asshole to hold your attention

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Maybe. I kinda took it to mean that she really doesn't know what she wants to do after all. She's in law and moving up the ranks, but it seems like she's doing it purely for the sake of "moving up." She doesn't have an endgame, just a vague aspiration she's trying to fulfill with a career in law.
She was sidestepping their questions about her past before they got around to asking where she wants to go from here.

What I'm imagining is that she had some seedy family members of some sort, and when she was self-sufficient enough, she put as much distance as possible between herself and them, both physically and figuratively. The legal profession would have been a reaction or rebellion against her family. As ten years and more have gone by, that reactionary impetus grows ever less immediate, especially with Jimmy's influences around. I really doubt she ever had any direct involvement in anything unseemly in her early years, but she didn't like what those around her were like or had become, and she wanted no part of it. As you say, she might be susceptible to wavering now (both in career goals and to a lesser extent ethically), as she's gone through the traditional career steps and whatnot, but without a specific vision for her future. Just keep her head down, get promoted, rinse and repeat.

I think you're right in that she doesn't really have a distinct endgame in mind, or a vision of her career aside from the basic aim of reaching partner. But I can't help but feel that there's something in her past that set this all off, and makes Jimmy's wandering ethics hit her a little more personally.

That's my broad theory.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

I really like the show but in a way I agree with that guy. When you go from the craziness of BB to the subdued plotlines of BCS, it's a bit hard to be as invested in the show as I was in BB.

Helmholtz

"Best. Episode. Ever."

I don't get it.
I feel the same way lately, honestly. I used to like this show a lot more, I just feel like it's been coasting lately. None of the plot developments have been all that interesting to me.

I feel the same way lately, honestly. I used to like this show a lot more, I just feel like it's been coasting lately. None of the plot developments have been all that interesting to me.

I am only watching this show for Mike, Jimmy's shit is only interesting when it involves Mike. I feel like they are aiming for 4 seasons going at this pace, next season must be the one where he transforms into Saul and by the end of 4 I think they will reach the BB timeline.

It is so infuriating to see Jimmy sabotage himself with his impatience. Like damn man, stay at the job for a year, rake in the money, and then leave and then start your own practice with a great track record and your bonus.

And Kim just twisted the knife in Jimmy's heart with that move. Ripped his card in half and professionally friendzoned his ass. She doesn't care about the risk of starting a venture versus a guaranteed job anymore but she still don't wanna work with your ass. Gottdamn!

I'm excited for more episodes I just wish Nacho would get more scenes. I thought he was gonna be a big part of the show but instead we are seeing jimmy run around in circles for two seasons. Like, if he had just not taken the lawyer job the exact same other events would have happened except we would be farther into him becoming Saul Goodman.

Good thing plot isn't that important to me, huh?

I watch BCS for the characters. For the cinematography. For the music. For the absolute confidence the creators have in every step they make.

Palpable

Great episode, as always. So was the point of the flashback with Jimmy's dad to show the parallel with Mike and his stepdaughter? I mean she's not really conning him... but kinda? Mike is no sheep though

I was wondering this as well. Mike clearly has a soft spot for his late son's wife. What is her deal? She's such a shit for taking advantage of Mike.

Isn't present day Saul living in Nebraska? Wonder if he's near her home town, and if she's back there.

He's in Omaha, the exact city he joked about ending up in during the end of BB.

Great episode, as always. So was the point of the flashback with Jimmy's dad to show the parallel with Mike and his stepdaughter? I mean she's not really conning him... but kinda? Mike is no sheep though

Also it confirms that Chuck wasn't making it up about Jimmy stealing from their Dad.

Veelk

Banned
Except they're paying for the building, together. Under Kim's offer, they're both "co-owners" of the business/building. This means if Jimmy is breaking the law, no matter how much Kim protests she's complicit in knowing where that money is possibly coming from. She can't just say "Oh, I didn't know" if they're keeping a record of managing the building together. The only difference under her counter-offer is them keeping their clients and "business"/trail management separate.

Wexler AND McGill means they're still together.

I don't know law, but that doesn't make sense to me. The building is not the business. By having different lawfirms, they're not going to be working on cases together unless they specifically decide to do so. If Jimmy gets a case and he pulls whatever he needs to to win, and then gets outed, Kim sharing the same building has absolutely nothing to do with that. She doesn't get the records unless she officially asks to become part of a case (Like how HHM is working with Davis and Main), but I don't see how paying for a building would implicate her in any way.

Don't get me wrong, this will still blow up in her face, because that's what Vince Gilligan does, but it makes no sense whatsoever for her to suggest that as an alternative if it offered her no protection.

Diablos

He can't do anything but Kneecap the leader/put him in a wheelchair due to Breaking Bad, so not really.

Also I'm not sure what Kim's end-game is here. She doesn't want to bend the rules, so why is she going with Jimmy?
She has a tough exterior but I think she loves Jimmy, yet in a way where she doesn't know how to move forward with him. Hence why she wants to work with him but with more independence due to his shady behavior.

Kim probably also has some skeletons in her closet that she's not talking about. The interview suggests so, I think. It's like they can tell she has something to hide. Perhaps they discovered something.

This show is so well written it's ridiculous. AMC needs it since their flagship show has more plot holes than Swiss cheese.

The lawyer stuff is dumpster tier shit. They need more Mike and more past/future stories ASAP.
The balance is fine.

BunnyBear

For everyone who mocked us when we said Mike's daughter-in-law was manipulating him - and there was a lot of you - hang your heads in shame.

Another solid episode, though these episodes are so short. I loved the opening scene with Jimmy's dad. It's nice seeing a Jimmy back where he belongs. I get the feeling these next three episodes are going to be off-tap.

zewone

Not necessarily, but it might help. Just something needs to happen.
Good thing plot isn't that important to me, huh?

I watch BCS for the characters. For the cinematography. For the music. For the absolute confidence the creators have in every step they make.
Plot not being important to you kind of confirms that the plot isn't very good in BCS.

Mariolee

Not necessarily, but it might help. Just something needs to happen.

Plot not being important to you kind of confirms that the plot isn't very good in BCS.

It's not that the plot isn't good, because in my opinion it is. It's more that it's subdued. The nuances of the plot and script are more told and conveyed through the characters' microexpressions rather than exposition and action scenes, so that when we actually get into action scenes the impact is felt much harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom