• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S2 |OT| The Truth Is Just A Point Of View - Mondays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just like in the finale last year, the montages are goof-tier. Or at least, their content. It's like I'm watching Futurama or some shit all of a sudden.

Other than that, time flies in these episodes. Even though superficially ,,not much is happening". I take it, people turned off by the show were also hating on ,,Fly"?

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
For everyone who mocked us when we said Mike's daughter-in-law was manipulating him - and there was a lot of you - hang your heads in shame.

Another solid episode, though these episodes are so short. I loved the opening scene with Jimmy's dad. It's nice seeing a Jimmy back where he belongs. I get the feeling these next three episodes are going to be off-tap.

I didn't say anything either way but was there something in last night's episode that confirmed this?

You don't get why Jimmy would do something risky? Maybe you missed the first 16 episodes and all of Breaking Bad.

But what made him come to this realization now? His job was ace. Last episode, we saw how his had was replaced with the company's own ad, and maybe that would have been something that made Jimmy want to quit, but it felt really strange to have him want to quit suddenly this episode

And I dont get why Kim would take such a risk.

zewone

It's not that the plot isn't good, because in my opinion it is. It's more that it's subdued. The nuances of the plot and script are more told and conveyed through the characters' microexpressions rather than exposition and action scenes, so that when we actually get into action scenes the impact is felt much harder.
Sure, you can see it like that.

Or it could also be the action scenes are felt harder because we had to sit through hours of legal and mundane activities to get to something interesting.

I just wanted to vent my frustrations with the show. Like I said, I wish I enjoyed it as much as some of you.

Edit: Is being a fan of 'The Fly' the way to sit at the cool kids table?

Mariolee

But what made him come to this realization now? His job was ace. Last episode, we saw how his had was replaced with the company's own ad, and maybe that would have been something that made Jimmy want to quit, but it felt really strange to have him want to quit suddenly this episode

The whole ending of the last episode dealt with why he wants to quit from this place.

RDreamer

I wished I enjoyed the show as much as some of you do.

I'm just watching because I'm a Breaking Bad fan, but y'all are really excited for an episode about Jimmy getting fired, Kim going on an interview and Mike house shopping.

"Best. Episode. Ever."

I don't get it.

Yeah things are moving slowly and they're not as violent as Breaking Bad, but to me this series is a slow burn eye candy sort of show. It's so ridiculously well shot and edited together you can't help but love it. I also connect to all the characters well enough.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

The impetus was Kim indicating to him that she was leaving HHM. He clearly has had the idea of working with her for awhile (he mentioned it last season when he was showing her the office building he was interested in, and this episode started with him drawing logos), so once he knew for sure that she was bailing and would technically be available, that's when he decided to quit as well.

-griffy-

Banned

He realized that Kim actually considering the offer with the other firm meant she was actually considering leaving HHM. That means she's open to other opportunities, compared to first season when she was loyal to HHM and turned down the offer of working with Jimmy. He was trying to seize his chance because of Kim.

RangerX

Banned
Just got caught up. That was an absolutely fucking masterful episode. His progression into Saul is so natural. I loved Jimmy hesitating and fingering Marco's ring before he admitted to Kim he had to be Himself. Rhea Seehorn has been phenomenal this season. What an actress. I just love the compassion and appreciation they have for each other although I think the two solo firms will end badly.

The montage scene was one of the best of the entire series. Those coloured suits! Mike's storyline is continually intriguing. I don't really like his daughter in law though. I feel shes taking him for a ride. I adored Breaking Bad but I have to say this show is better in my eyes. The characters, casting,pacing,development,music and directing is all top notch. Best show on telly for me personally.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Why is Jimmy so interested in working with Kim?

He loves her.

They have an odd relationship but Kim also has feelings for him and that's why she's willing to go to extremes to be with him. She's compatible with him personally but not professionally, so she was unwilling to be professional partners.

zewone

he likes her boobies

BRBAppF.gif

While I am enjoying each episode immensely, I do agree that the plot doesn't seem to be moving forward very quickly. Jimmy is basically back to the same place he was last season with his own law firm.

It seems this season is more focused on Kim and Mike's story, which I'm okay with because the characters are great.

Azzanadra

Ok, I am missing smoking here: everybody seems to be saying that Mike's daughter-in-law manipulated him.... what gave that away? By the end of the episode, I was still under the impression that she was just paranoid.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Ok, I am missing smoking here: everybody seems to be saying that Mike's daughter-in-law manipulated him.... what gave that away? By the end of the episode, I was still under the impression that she was just paranoid.
He was parked outside her house the entire night she claimed that she heard additional gunshots and one grazed the house.

Azzanadra

He was parked outside her house the entire night she claimed that she heard additional gunshots and one grazed the house.

Yes, what what particularly in this episode? That stuff was established a couple episodes ago, and something in this episode triggered some remarks about her playing mike all along in this thread. The gunshot graze could still be attributed to paranoia.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Mike knows he's being manipulated. She was lying about how dangerous her old neighborhood was in order to get him to pay for new living arrangements.

Since it's for his granddaughter he doesn't seem to mind.

Mariolee

The magic of acting baby. You can see the transformation from when she was hesitant in S1 to let Mike give her money to now asking him to buy a gigantic house. Comments referring to her acknowleding this is a lot of money to pay for someone who works as a parking lot attendant as well as acknowleding that despite being in a car accident Mike's car is fine shows she may not know exactly how he's getting the money but deep inside knows that Mike is getting into deep shit to pay for all this. However, she continues to play dumb because she finally feels happy and safe and hopefully, even if there's some cognitive dissonance as to the reality of the situation she knows to be true.

She's not intentionally lying I don't think. She's mostly lying to herself.

Grinchy

Banned
In her planning phase for Operation Mike Manipulation, what made her so sure that Mike could get ahold of that kind of money? Sure, he's been helping her with cash, but for her to know he could get this kind of money despite working in a parking lot booth, she'd have to know he's up to some shady dealings. Does she know what he's up to?

-griffy-

Banned
I'm still not convinced that she's manipulating him rather than it being kind of a subpar performance from the actress playing Stacy which is causing confusing interpretations. Like, she's supposed to be innocently asking Mike questions and clueless about this stuff, but the performance is kind of wooden and forced which doesn't make it feel genuine, so people are reading it as the character not being genuine.

I thought she was the weak link in season 1 in Mike's big backstory episode, but Banks was so damn good that it makes up for it. Still true this season. The actress is Irish, so I've wondered if her grappling with the accent is making things come out weird. Maybe I'm way off though.

Azzanadra

In her planning phase for Operation Mike Manipulation, what made her so sure that Mike could get ahold of that kind of money? Sure, he's been helping her with cash, but for her to know he could get this kind of money despite working in a parking lot booth, she'd have to know he's up to some shady dealings. Does she know what he's up to?

The only conclusion I could come to is that if Mike has possibly paid off his house and is relatively low maintenance, then he has a lot more disposable income even from the parking job.... but even then, it depends on how much he is giving, If he just gives like say the full 25k, thats a bit shady but if its like 10k to help pay the downpayment on that house... I could see a case being made there.

LordAmused

Wow! I just caught up on yesterday's episode and I am amazed. Everything was god-tier: the pacing, the photography (AND EDITING!!), Bob Odenkirk was on top of his game. Wonderful!

But damn Vince, what a way to end up on a cliffhanger.

Not necessarily, but it might help. Just something needs to happen.

Plot not being important to you kind of confirms that the plot isn't very good in BCS.

I think the plot is absolutely fine. It's just not important to me. It's why I don't give a shit about spoilers and whatnot.

I wished I enjoyed the show as much as some of you do.

I'm just watching because I'm a Breaking Bad fan, but y'all are really excited for an episode about Jimmy getting fired, Kim going on an interview and Mike house shopping.

"Best. Episode. Ever."

I don't get it.
Don't worry, you're not alone.

I mean, it is a great show, no doubts about that. Much better than most of the pap on TV.

However you'd think it was some seminal masterpiece going by comments here. But it isn't even close.

Surfinn

Just got caught up with the show. I've gotta say, it's really well written and the dialogue is top notch. Nice change from the quality (or lack there of) of TWD. I've had a great time with it so far.

Some things that don't sit right with me so far:

1. I don't like how Jimmy sneaked the TV commercial behind his boss's back. If he simply would have shown him, he probably would have made some adjustments but it would have worked out all the same. Why take such a huge risk and potentially lose your job? I get he's on the outs now, but then it seemed to make little sense.

2. I don't think they did a very good job of showing why Jimmy wanted to quit. He had a fantastic job, awesome perks, a seemingly great boss.. so what was the problem? All the sudden he just wants to start his own practice.. so much so, he's willing to act out to be fired (and of course get the bonus)? I could totally see the decision if he were in Kim's position and was being treated like shit, but he had it made. Very jarring to me.

3. Why hasn't Mike said anything to his daughter in law about her lie to get them moved? Can someone explain that to me? Little confused.

Looking forward to more.

HoJu

Mike knows he's being manipulated. She was lying about how dangerous her old neighborhood was in order to get him to pay for new living arrangements.

And he might still feel guilty about his son.

Surfinn

Seems to me he'd still want to confront her about it. She should appreciate what he's doing for them much more than she is, I think. At least have the decency to ask for help.

eso76

Hello there !
I am very late to the party and currently watching Breaking Bad (end of season 4) for the first time.
I managed to avoid all spoilers so far.

I love Saul and I'm sure I would enjoy this show, but is it safe to watch or does it contain BB spoilers ? Does it take place before or after or during the events in BB ?

And he might still feel guilty about his son.

I think that's a guarantee. I'm starting to wonder if something happens between Mike and his daughter-in-law. By the time Breaking Bad comes around; Mike drops off his GrandDaughter and doesn't talk to Stacy; he just waves and leaves. That might be nothing but I think there is a point where Mike decides he can't keep giving Stacey money and decides to go the route of putting a few million away in only his granddaughter's name.

Hello there !
I am very late to the party and currently watching Breaking Bad (end of season 4) for the first time.

I love Saul and I'm sure I would enjoy this show, but is it safe to watch or does it contain BB spoilers ? Does it take place before or after or during the events in BB ?

It's a prequel to Breaking Bad, most of it takes place several years before Breaking Bad. You may as well finish watching Breaking Bad before you start Better Call Saul, but it probably wouldn't hurt anything to start BCS now.

Dai101

Banned
Hello there !

You're safe. Also takes place before the events of BrBa. Just a pair of scenes that serve as season openers have take place after.

I just wish we got see to some Jimmy courtroom action during his stint with Davis and Main. I love to see Jimmy argue, he's brilliant. Otherwise, I'm still enjoying this season. Though, I will admit, season 1 had a better pace. But I just love whenever Saul and Mike are on screen, both are so good.

I just thought Mike's daughter was going batty too. But after the nice house with the needless, giant playground set in the back yard, I too think she's working Mike.

2. I don't think they did a very good job of showing why Jimmy wanted to quit. He had a fantastic job, awesome perks, a seemingly great boss.. so what was the problem? All the sudden he just wants to start his own practice.. so much so, he's willing to act out to be fired (and of course get the bonus)? I could totally see the decision if he were in Kim's position and was being treated like shit, but he had it made. Very jarring to me.

I think Jimmy is really just a square peg, like he mentioned last night. He loves the theatrics of the courtroom and being a showman, one of the first movie quotes from last season was "It's Showtime Folks!' from All That Jazz. He's a flashy guy that doesn't want to walk the line of what he views as professional. Having his wings clipped, for example not even being able to be chummy with the court clerk, was just destroying him. It's not who he is.

The bagpipes part had me rolling. Good episode, although I felt the writing was a little bit too heavy handed at times. Basically any scene involving people asking Jimmy to explain his motivations or reasoning.

The lawyer stuff is dumpster tier shit. They need more Mike and more past/future stories ASAP.

Yeah, no.

So are we not going to talk about how we never found out what it is that the switch did

It turned on Walt's cancer.

-griffy-

Banned
It's a prequel to Breaking Bad, most of it takes place several years before Breaking Bad. You may as well finish watching Breaking Bad before you start Better Call Saul, but it probably wouldn't hurt anything to start BCS now.

You're safe. Also takes place before the events of BrBa. Just a pair of scenes that serve as season openers have take place after.

I'm not sure I agree with this. It's a prequel, but it's made assuming you've seen Breaking Bad. And there are a few scenes that take place after Breaking Bad which could be spoilers. It makes most sense to complete Breaking Bad and then start Better Call Saul, especially if you only have one season of Breaking Bad left to go.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
-- feel like if you're this deep into the show and you're confused at all -- rather than being intentionally intrigued -- this might not be the show for you.

-- i'm not sure distilling this episode down to "jimmy got fired and kim had an interview" is fair at all, when these are the same exact types of comments that complain about jimmy not becoming Saul fast enough ... when this is the very episode where we see the first real flashes of that character shining through on Jimmy! We have inflatable crazy air dancer! We have the crazy colorful suits! We have Jimmy lying through his teeth with Saul-patented bullshit. "Maybe a bird dropped it right into Tuco's hand?" And the Kim stuff was deep because you see that first, she definitely has something to hide from her past -- and her realization that the new boss is very likely the same as the old boss.

-- speaking of Kim -- wouldn't it be interesting if her background was similar to Jimmy's, only her response was different? Say she was related to a grifter that embarrassed her or something, and her reaction was to play things on the straight and narrow to prove that one could be both honest AND a wolf. ahem.

-- mike's daughter-in-law was more or less revealed to be manipulating him when she picked out a super expensive house ("you think it's too big?") while also acknowledging (through superb acting that the viewer has to read) that he can't really afford it as a parking attendant. Combine that with former knowledge of his son / her husband's bad cop ways, and Mike's destroyed face and spotless car ("you'd never know it was in an accident!"), and it's clear she's manipulating him. The real question for the viewer is which side of the moral divide she stands on. Is she punishing Mike for what happened to her husband? Is she just trying to do what's best for her daughter? Does she know that by putting Mike in this position that she's putting her daughter in actual danger? See, that's the better conversation.

-- i'm starting to come around on this idea: I think this last episode shows we might be getting to Saul Goodman, Criminal Lawyer faster than people think. Like, by the end of the season.

-- I do expect some sort of Slippin' Kimmy to be revealed, yes.

HoJu

I think that's a guarantee. I'm starting to wonder if something happens between Mike and his daughter-in-law. By the time Breaking Bad comes around; Mike drops off his GrandDaughter and doesn't talk to Stacy; he just waves and leaves. That might be nothing but I think there is a point where Mike decides he can't keep giving Stacey money and decides to go the route of putting a few million away in only his granddaughter's name.
Yeah, something will probably happen to their relationship sometime down the line.

I guess she's just trying to get the life she would've had if her husband wasn't murdered.

I'm still not convinced that she's manipulating him rather than it being kind of a subpar performance from the actress playing Stacy which is causing confusing interpretations. Like, she's supposed to be innocently asking Mike questions and clueless about this stuff, but the performance is kind of wooden and forced which doesn't make it feel genuine, so people are reading it as the character not being genuine.

I thought she was the weak link in season 1 in Mike's big backstory episode, but Banks was so damn good that it makes up for it. Still true this season. The actress is Irish, so I've wondered if her grappling with the accent is making things come out weird. Maybe I'm way off though.

Her character continues to be the worst written one in the show across this season, she's been nothing but plot grease to keep plunging Mike deeper into the shit. If her performance is stale it's because she's not really been given any sort of personality to work with besides being a paranoid working mom. But considering the strength of virtually every other character on the show I've been willing to overlook it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom