• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S2 |OT| The Truth Is Just A Point Of View - Mondays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walpurgis

Banned
This show is so phenomenal. Seriously. I for one never thought a spinoff would turn out to be so fucking delightful. Everything is on point, the cast, the dialogue, the writing, the cinematography, the music, etc etc.

So true. When watching the episodes, I sometimes move the cursor and lament how close I am to the end. Too bad there's only a three episodes left for the whole year. D:

Nelo Ice

Banned
So true. When watching the episodes, I sometimes move the cursor and lament how close I am to the end. Too bad there's only a three episodes left for the whole year. D:

I can't believe there's only 3 episodes left. When I saw the preview I was like the season's almost done already?!.

Finally watched the latest ep. Kim stays a dime and that montage was fucking
s8RnYWP.gif

-griffy-

Banned
The real estate agent showing Stacy's new house (which is confirmed to be the same house they lived in during Breaking Bad) was also the agent holding the open house that Marie stole stuff from.

IronRinn

The real estate agent showing Stacy's new house (which is confirmed to be the same house they lived in during Breaking Bad) was also the agent holding the open house that Marie stole stuff from.
I knew she looked familiar (seriously, it was bugging me.)

Hmm, possible cameo tease? (link behind spoiler tag)
Oh. Shit.

Seems some people are saying he might just be directing an episode?

This show is so phenomenal. Seriously. I for one never thought a spinoff would turn out to be so fucking delightful. Everything is on point, the cast, the dialogue, the writing, the cinematography, the music, etc etc.
Great word.

The words I would choose for BCS are:

Delightful (thanks for that one), comfortable, fun, beautiful, intellectually interesting

While for BB I would use:

Gripping, intense, challenging, compelling

So today at my workplace, we did a yearly thing where the owner's dad comes in and takes some pictures of the workplace for the website and what not, and he will also do professional business headshots for anyone who wants one.

It's very possible I did the Howard Hamlin power stance for mine.

It's funny how Kim is basically playing the Skyler role in the show, as the voice of conscience trying to reign in Jimmy as best as she can.

She's actually likeable, unlike Skyler. Helps a lot when you've got a character who's main purpose is essentially to be the party pooper. Shit like smoking while pregnant and cheating on your terminally-ill spouse (even if he is a criminal) doesn't really endear a character to the audience for the most part. When Kim's had to rain on Jimmy's parade, it's always been for rational purposes, and it doesn't go on for a seemingly endless amount of time. You empathize with her. Not to say Skyler doesn't have a good reason to oppose Walt, but the writers turned her into too much of a shrew to make her someone the audience could gravitate towards.

Walpurgis

Banned
She's actually likeable, unlike Skyler. Helps a lot when you've got a character who's main purpose is essentially to be the party pooper. Shit like smoking while pregnant and cheating on your terminally-ill spouse (even if he is a criminal) doesn't really endear a character to the audience for the most part. When Kim's had to rain on Jimmy's parade, it's always been for rational purposes, and it doesn't go on for a seemingly endless amount of time. You empathize with her. Not to say Skyler doesn't have a good reason to oppose Walt, but the writers turned her into too much of a shrew to make her someone the audience could gravitate towards.
Yeah, as a Skyler hater, Kim is great. She's not a hypocrite and she's not annoying. She's fun, a hard worker and wants what's best for Jimmy. She's probably my favourite character in the show, actually.

I feel like Kim is almost a response to skylar's reception. Unlike BB, the show has given Kim a fair shot and hasn't attempted to pit the protagonist against her from moment one. The show has dedicated time to her to allow her to grow, instead of beginning that process halfway through.

B33

Banned
Skyler and Kim aren't a fair one-to-one comparison because the circumstances are vastly different and they're different characters.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I feel like Kim is almost a response to skylar's reception. Unlike BB, the show has given Kim a fair shot and hasn't attempted to pit the protagonist against her from moment one. The show has dedicated time to her to allow her to grow, instead of beginning that process halfway through.

I'm with you.

Skyler and Kim aren't a fair one-to-one comparison because the circumstances are vastly different and they're different characters.

No, you're right -- they're not 1:1. But to suggest that Gilligan's approach to BCS and its characters isn't 100% informed by how people understood his characters (rightly or wrongly) in BB seems overly simple.

Jarmel

Banned
I watched all the episodes in the past week and a half. This is a much slower burn than Breaking Bad but I love it all the same.

Just wanted to say Kim fucked up. Jimmy is totally going to ruin her life too.

Fatalah

I watched all the episodes in the past week and a half. This is a much slower burn than Breaking Bad but I love it all the same.

Who else's life did Jimmy ruin? His dad's?

Walpurgis

Banned

Yeah, I felt bad watching her make the worst decision of her life. At least she's smart enough to keep Wexler separate from McGill.

Actually, I think this whole thing is something that she wants for herself so it's not just for Jimmy.

Still, I worry about how Saul will ruin her life.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Let's pump the brakes fellas -- we don't ACTUALLY know whether she'll go through with turning the offer (if she gets one) down, much less leave HHM to start a solo practice under the same roof as Jimmy.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios

I want this creative team to keep making shows forever

If that's Mikes daughter I agree, although she has to get alooooot worse to match Skylar...

Was there a time when Skyler fabricated an entire story so she can get a nicer house?

I meant as a secondary antagonist.

They're setting up Stacey to compel Mike (out of guilt) into a life in the underworld to support her lavish dreams.

If you think about it, she's kinda the polar opposite of Skyler, who wanted her husband out of the underworld but used equally scrupulous methods.

Stacey's motives make her worse than Skyler, because she is the only person Mike cannot say "no" to.

Also, it's pretty clear that Nacho will introduce Mike to Gus who in turn will ask Mike to whack him.

Surfinn

I meant as a secondary antagonist.

They're setting up Stacey to compel Mike (out of guilt) into a life in the underworld to support her lavish dreams.

If you think about it, she's kinda the polar opposite of Skyler, who wanted her husband out of the underworld but used equally scrupulous methods.

Stacey's motives make her worse than Skyler, because she is the only person Mike cannot say "no" to.

Also, it's pretty clear that Nacho will introduce Mike to Gus who in turn will ask Mike to whack him.

Just out of curiosity, what did Skyler do that was equally scrupulous?

Surfinn

trying to break-up her marriage by having an affair?

Tbh, I don't judge Skylar as harshly as others. Most women I know would have acted in a similar vein.

Their marriage was broken up LONG BEFORE she made that decision. I don't blame her in the slightest after Walt destroyed their lives with his decision making. She was essentially abandoned by her partner out of purely selfish reasons.

The only real criticism I can possibly think of for Skyler is that she should have simply gone to the police when she found out. She even had a way out with her lawyer and chose not to take it.

Stacey/Skyler is comparing apples/oranges; Skyler was reacting defensively after becoming a prisoner in her own home whereas Stacey is taking advantage of Mike, totally unprovoked. The death of her husband is no excuse for abusing Mike's selfless support and remains totally independent.

Their marriage was broken up LONG BEFORE she made that decision. I don't blame her in the slightest after Walt destroyed their lives with his decision making. She was essentially abandoned by her partner out of purely selfish reasons.

The only real criticism I can possibly think of for Skyler is that she should have simply gone to the police when she found out. She even had a way out with her lawyer and chose not to take it.

After all the dust settled I'm inclined to agree with you. But it's easy to watch the show now with all the emotion stripped away now we know everybody's fate. In retrospect, all the hero-worshipping of Walt was rather nauseating, if truth be told.

Stacey/Skyler is comparing apples/oranges; Skyler was reacting defensively after becoming a prisoner in her own home whereas Stacey is taking advantage of Mike, totally unprovoked. The death of her husband is no excuse for abusing Mike's selfless support and remains totally independent.

The thing about VG's characters is that they are nuanced, like people in the real world. So his shows are like a Rorschach test.

Surfinn

After all the dust settled I'm inclined to agree with you. But it's easy to watch the show now with all the emotion stripped away now we know everybody's fate. In retrospect, all the hero-worshipping of Walt was rather nauseating, if truth be told.

My GF and I just ended BB and jumped straight into BCS.

Really puts things into perspective.. and the Skyler hate is totally unfounded unless referencing her decision to hide everything once she found out.

My GF and I just ended BB and jumped straight into BCS.

Really puts things into perspective.. and the Skyler hate is totally unfounded unless referencing her decision to hide everything once she found out.

Don't worry, somebody, somewhere will say:

"Stacey is doing whatever she can to survive"

"I would have done the same thing in her position"

"Mike was corrupt anyway"

"Mike's the reason Stacey is in this situation"

You'll see.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

You'll see.

Nah, Stacey is female, and is sort of the "antagonist" (or foil) to a male fan favourite, so that won't ever happen.

Surfinn

You'll see.

Unless there's an underlying motive that isn't just "I'm greedy", there's no excuse for her behavior.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

I'll admit I haven't thought about this, but let me push back on this.

1. Mike is generally a pretty loyal, honorable guy. See: returning the cash for the unfinished job. I'm not convinced he'd be the one to whack Nacho and had assumed it would eventually come from Tuco or Tio himself.

2. Gus is a pretty savvy guy. If he's able to get Mike to turn on Nacho, he could never really trust him. Anybody who's up for auction to the highest bidder can never be in your inner circle like Gus has Mike in BB.

3. All that said, the mental anguish required to turn on Nacho, the $$$ Gus probably offers, the protection then needed from the Salamancas ... maybe you've stumbled on a super compelling piece of television.

The thing about VG's characters is that they are nuanced, like people in the real world. So his shows are like a Rorschach test.

... I like this point a lot.

Unless there's an underlying motive that isn't just "I'm greedy", there's no excuse for her behavior.

Back in the day #TeamWalt were the clear majority. And "greed" was his only excuse.

Btw, you should check out the Wire, if you haven't already done so. I have a feeling it is right up your alley.

I'll admit I haven't thought about this, but let me push back on this.

1. Mike is generally a pretty loyal, honorable guy. See: returning the cash for the unfinished job. I'm not convinced he'd be the one to whack Nacho and had assumed it would eventually come from Tuco or Tio himself.

2. Gus is a pretty savvy guy. If he's able to get Mike to turn on Nacho, he could never really trust him. Anybody who's up for auction to the highest bidder can never be in your inner circle like Gus has Mike in BB.

3. All that said, the mental anguish required to turn on Nacho, the $$$ Gus probably offers, the protection then needed from the Salamancas ... maybe you've stumbled on a super compelling piece of television.
Above everything else, if Mike is contracted to do something he does it like a professional. I don't think he owes any special loyalty to Nacho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom