• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I thought it was obvious that what Mike got from Chuck's house was the location of the original tape and then later Kim managed to get confirmation that it is the only and original copy

Mike took pictures of Chuck's house that showed all the dumb shit he had done to it. Where are you getting the tape thing from? That was never brought up by either Jimmy or Mike, only Kim talked about it.

I still goddamn laugh out loud that Gilligan actually named his main character after his X-Files writing partner.

I get a boner whenever his full name is said.

EDIT: Am I the only one that thought Jimmy's "No brother should treat their brother like that" had a double meaning?

Mariolee

Mike took pictures of Chuck's house that showed all the dumb shit he had done to it. Where are you getting the tape thing from? That was never brought up by either Jimmy or Mike, only Kim talked about it.

It's called speculation, dude. After Jimmy looked at all the pics, he also opened a piece of paper that Mike stole from Chuck's address book, but we never see what it is.

It only makes sense it may be the location of the original tape in case Chuck ever forgets.

Klocker

I think that the point of getting chuck to acknowledge the second tape was that they got chuck to admit that he set Jimmy up.

I don't think they are going to try to steal the original just use the premeditation of chuck against him

mr.beers

Regarding the opening scenes, they noted on the podcast that they ended up using more handheld shots than usual because they were really time constrained on the set in Mexico. BB used a lot of these whereas they deliberately avoided them on BCS initially. However, the DP and the director noted that it wasn't a choice to make it look more like BB, but rather they just stumbled into it this week because they were running out of daylight when on set. Happy coincidences...

One other tidbit, apparently it was really cold on set and they said Steven Bauer was a pro for hanging out (literally and figuratively) in a speedo for the shoot.

Apparently his teeth where chattering in some scenes. They also said we will be seeing a lot more of Nacho this season, hell yes!

Kim is the most likable character on TV right now IMO. She is just perfect. I'm so worried about what possible fate awaits her though... :(

So many people think that they are gonna destroy or alter the tape, but I feel like that's way too simple and blunt for a next episode reveal. I think they just wanted confirmation so that Chuck can't wiggle his way out of however they're gonna spin the tape against him.

Guppeth

I doubt they'll tamper with the tape. It doesn't seem realistic that no one will listen to the tape until it's played in court.

Einchy

It's called speculation, dude. After Jimmy looked at all the pics, he also opened a piece of paper that Mike stole from Chuck's address book, but we never see what it is.

It only makes sense it may be the location of the original tape in case Chuck ever forgets.

That comment does not read like speculation and more like stating something that was "obvious" in the show.

Also, you think Chuck is going to write down the location of the tape in case he forgets? That seems rather contrived.

So many people think that they are gonna destroy or alter the tape, but I feel like that's way too simple and blunt for a next episode reveal. I think they just wanted confirmation so that Chuck can't wiggle his way out of however they're gonna spin the tape against him.

Yeah, they are finally playing on Chuck's level, so I doubt they would do something that would put Jimmy in even more shit.

Having the tape played in court would work in Jimmy's favour, I think that's what he and Kim are banking on.

Firstly, if it's played, Jimmy can't be accused of destroying/damaging evidence. And secondly Jimmy can say he only said those things to help calm Chuck down. Knowing full well that Chuck was close to a complete breakdown and recently admitted to hospital, Jimmy and Kim can go all in on Chuck being crazy.

Einchy

I thought that was the whole point of that moment?

Yeah, especially because it seems that maybe Jimmy is getting through Chuck and he is understanding that the way he treats Jimmy is fucked up. And then he's a total asshole about the check and you realized everything Jimmy said either went over his head or he just doesn't give a fuck. I'm thinking it's the latter.

Chumley

Banned
Having the tape played in court would work in Jimmy's favour, I think that's what he and Kim are banking on.

Firstly, if it's played, Jimmy can't be accused of destroying/damaging evidence. And secondly Jimmy can say he only said those things to help calm Chuck down. Knowing full well that Chuck was close to a complete breakdown and recently admitted to hospital, Jimmy and Kim can go all in on Chuck being crazy.

Yeah, I think they're going to flip the script on Chuck.

Maybe the law actually working against him for the first time in his life is what truly sends him off the deep end.

So apparently at around 8:10 when the DEA are outside the ice cream shop, you hear a voice say "Did he get out the truck yet?" which sounds a lot like Hank.

I've gone back and listened to it again and it does sound like him, did anybody else catch this?

This season has been so good, I almost forgot about how bored I was throughout the first season. I know a lot of people who tuned out at some point during S1 so it's hard to recommend it again now when they have to sit through it.

I thought S2 was a noticeable improvement, and this season is on par with Breaking Bad so far (imo)
So it's pretty much Breaking Bad...

DoubleYou

So apparently at around 8:10 when the DEA are outside the ice cream shop, you hear a voice say "Did he get out the truck yet?" which sounds a lot like Hank.

I've gone back and listened to it again and it does sound like him, did anybody else catch this?

Nice find!
Hard to tell if it's really him though.

Alpende

Watched it yesterday and yet again, it was great. Loved the first 30 minutes with Gus, Hector and Don Eladio. That felt like Breaking Bad and it was glorious. Mike's scenes were great too. It seems like every episode is stronger than the previous one.

nolips

My first thought was: Oh, great, Hank's back. Unfortunately, we didn't get to see him (if it was him, but it sure sounded like that).

My first thought was: Oh, great, Hank's back. Unfortunately, we didn't get to see him (if it was him, but it sure sounded like that).

I don't think it will be long before he's back.

We are starting to see a lot more of the DEA now so it makes sense for Hank to appear. Especially when this image of Hank and Steve on set was released last year:

Hank-Better-Call-Saul.jpg

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Man I enjoyed this episode so much. From the cold open to the end, just a perfect piece of television. The standoff in Pollos Hermanos is one of my favorite moments of the series now. I love how they've gradually evolved to full-on BrBa-prequel and you don't even notice when Jimmy only shows up 20 minutes in. I wouldn't even be surprised if there's a Saul-less (no pun intended) ep later on.

Adding Fring was a great decision to bring more tension to the show. I can't imagine BrBa-fans missing out on this right now. I'd call this show fanservice done right, but the term doesn't even fit here, it's much more graceful and organic.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
so people think that small piece of paper that mike gave it to jim at the end had location information of the tape? I doubt it. But then what else could it be?

SpaceWolf

Banned
It sort of bums me out that the threads for television shows like The Flash are so much more popular than the one for this show.

Jofamo

so people think that small piece of paper that mike gave it to jim at the end had location information of the tape? I doubt it. But then what else could it be?

I don't buy it. That's a lot of assumptions for people to make.

Yeah, Jimmy and Kim believe there's a second tape. But why would Jimmy know to tell Mike to search his address book for a piece of paper with the tape's location. Doesn't compute.

A lot of people said Rebecca's address, which still seems a bit out there.

If Kim and Jimmy are going to beat Chuck, I'm going to be bummed if they do it through Jimmy's method, seen it before (then again, using Mike I guess they already went there huh). I want them to beat Chuck at his own game.

Carl

I think that the point of getting chuck to acknowledge the second tape was that they got chuck to admit that he set Jimmy up.

I don't think they are going to try to steal the original just use the premeditation of chuck against him

Yeah this is my thinking too. Got Chuck to admit he set Jimmy up and use that to get out dismissed in court

That or admit that there's still a tape. They made a big deal about the whole "he destroyed my tape which was my property" thing, so I'm assuming that will come back

near

Gold Member
Loved the episode. Chuck's going to pay a heavier price for that extra $2.98 that he insisted for the cassette tape. A cassette tape that Chuck used to lure Jimmy into destroying, that was actually a duplicate.

Kim will cross some lines to win this on Jimmy's level (way of doing things). I mean she called a shit ton of repair companies to find out which one Chuck booked an appointment with to have it cancelled. Over the last two episodes Jimmy has deeply thanked Kim for her support and emphasis was placed on those scenes, Jimmy knows how by the book Kim is.

I find what Chuck says to Kim quite interesting as well "...the bar associations standard of proof is far more lenient than what you're use to." Suggesting that he's tape wont be easily suppressed. I don't think Jimmy and Kim are going to be using an obvious defence strategy, I think they'll take Chuck down hard and it will be cruel but sweet. My guess is that Kim recorded the conversation with Chuck and Hamlin and that will be used in the bar hearing, along with other evidence that will suggest Chuck is using the law to a win a personal matter over he's brother and Jimmy will get to keep he's licence, while Chuck on the other hand may lose he's licence.

Did anyone notice the film Mike's watching at he's daughter in-laws house? We're shown a truck pulling up that is labelled "Decontamination Squad - Civilian Defence" a guy in a hazard suit gets out and then we cut to Mike looking away with a sigh. I also thought it was funny that he declined the ice cream he was offered.

This season has been really good so far. Love learning more about Gus and the cartel, Also great to see Michael Mando finally show up. Dudes awesome.

BunnyBear

C'mon. It's Rebecca's contact details. There's a reason she's been built into the story so far.

It shouldn't.

It's not like we're enjoying the current season. lol

Yeah, it's kinda like the DCEU vs. MCU thread. The former is more active partly because there always seems to be bad news surrounding it (whether or not that bad news is substantiated is another topic).

I'm in the camp that needs Jimmy and Kim to beat Chuck at his own game. Maybe even get the man committed. Face it, he needs it. Which is hilarious given his commitment to "doing what's best for Jimmy".

Man, I loved Flash S1 and liked S2 pretty well, but I fell off the bandwagon halfway through this season.

Not that it was ever on the level of BCS, but it was fun and entertaining when it was done right.

Now I want to see a Joe/Mike crossover.

SoCoRoBo

It's pretty funny how Chuck is becoming the Skyler of this show. Almost certainly one of the 'morally' better characters, but hated in the context of how he rains on the parade of our more likeable and interesting protagonists.

It's pretty funny how Chuck is becoming the Skyler of this show. Almost certainly one of the 'morally' better characters, but hated in the context of how he rains on the parade of our more likeable and interesting protagonists.

Chuck's a lot harder to sympathize with though.

Toa TAK

Banned

I liked Skylar a lot more, though.

I didn't fall off that train until she threw herself in the pool in season 5.

Kevinroc

I don't think of Chuck as "morally" better when he manipulated and undercut his brother every chance he got. He comes across as a massive hypocrite.

Not that this absolves Jimmy of all that he has done/will do, but Chuck is a piece of crap.

Chuck's a lot harder to sympathize with though.

Not really.

Hindsight 20/20, his assessment of Jimmy and the direction he's heading is right on the money. He saw Saul Goodman in his brother long before anyone else did, even before Jimmy himself. One could argue that Chuck "pushed" him to that direction, but I think he merely helped to accelerate that inevitable transformation.

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
Cant wait for the episode where Fring is gonna put
Hector on the wheelchair with the bell

Top Bottom