• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

noomi

Just watched the latest episode, that was really fantastic.

One of my favorite shows currently running along with Fargo.

I guess we will get to see how
Hector came to be in a wheelchair at the hand of Mr. Fring.

Since a bullet to the head is too humane :eek:

Anyone think Hector just gets in a wheelchair through natural means without any influence from Gus or Mike? Like he just has a stroke and has to use a wheelchair from then on. I'm pretty sure there was a Chekov's cough in Season 2 where we saw Hector coughing. I think it was when Mike was attempting to snipe him?

Anyone think Hector just gets in a wheelchair through natural means without any influence from Gus or Mike? Like he just has a stroke and has to use a wheelchair from then on. I'm pretty sure there was a Chekov's cough in Season 2 where we saw Hector coughing. I think it was when Mike was attempting to snipe him?

I think it would be too convenient if Gus was the one that put him in that state, but Hector won't look Gus in the eyes during BB, so something must've happened there.

andee-

Neo Member
Just watched the latest episode, that was really fantastic.

One of my favorite shows currently running along with Fargo.

I guess we will get to see how
Hector came to be in a wheelchair at the hand of Mr. Fring.

Since a bullet to the head is too humane :eek:

In BB, Hector apparently had a stroke

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

After all Hector is
alive during BB and presumably Gus takes over his operation there for Edalio, meaning there's no explicit "bad blood" between them that would cause Eladio to step in and mediate. They were trying to muscle in on his business in BB anyway but seemed to lack the casus belli, which an assault on Hector would've easily provided.

I think it would be too convenient if Gus was the one that put him in that state, but Hector won't look Gus in the eyes during BB, so something must've happened there.

Yeah I don't think Gus put him in that state. I'm saying it's kind of already established that he's sick. I think Gus' plan involves making every relative of Hector's die and sabotaging the cartel. I don't think it involves crippling Hector. That happens naturally because of his age and condition.

Corpekata

Banned
I can see a scenario where Hector is getting sick but tries to hide it because it likely means losing his position and Gus exposes it so he gets his power stripped from him.

I was thinking... In BB Mike was in the room when Hector met with Gus, right?

Hector and the twins didn't pay him any attention at all. Or course it's not implied there is any history there at all other than working for Gus but now there is major history.

It's not something I think they HAVE to address but I'll be interested in what the attitudes of the characters are in the end when they barely acknowledge him years down the line.

Edit: also, I think Gus will intend to kill Hector but the stroke happens before that so...fuck it

Sunster

Anyone else watch this via netflix? They had weekly s3 episodes on Wednesdays but now they just have s1 and s2 again. did AMC revoke their deal with Netflix or something? I was in Philippines until today, so maybe this was never a thing on US netflix?

edit: nvm, confirmed that is was never available in US

riotous

Banned
Anyone else watch this via netflix? They had weekly s3 episodes on Wednesdays but now they just have s1 and s2 again. did AMC revoke their deal with Netflix or something? I was in Philippines until today, so maybe this was never a thing on US netflix?

Was never a thing in the US.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
-- great post Vleek. Agreed.

-- I can imagine Hank and Gomey showing up for sure. Would love if they finally revealed that my Gomez-works-for-Fring head cannon I've had for years.

-- did you all listen to the last podcast where they explained the setup for how they pulled off the mike shooting the shoes bit? It's really good.

Tankard

The Hector part of the episode is so tense, the atmosphere he gives is that anything can happen at any second, and then i remember i felt the same way about his scenes in BB. These guys are too good.

Dark_castle

The Hector part of the episode is so tense, the atmosphere he gives is that anything can happen at any second, and then i remember i felt the same way about his scenes in BB. These guys are too good.

I fucking love Hector. Whenever he shows up on screen, I'm always expecting something good.

This show is so good! It retroactively make me hate Walter White even more, since he gives Hector the ability to get revenge on Gus, though he truly does not deserve it.

Kalor

That was a great episode. Hector strutting his stuff in Los Pollos Hermanos and then Mike as a handyman. I'm looking forward to see what Jimmy and Kim's plan is.

Veelk

Banned
I finally started watching Fargo after sleeping on it for so long.

Bob Odenkirk is in it too, and I'm just gonna pretend that this is just another of Jimmy's many escapades.

Bandit1

-- I can imagine Hank and Gomey showing up for sure. Would love if they finally revealed that my Gomez-works-for-Fring head cannon I've had for years.

Yeah, I can't wait to see Hank and Gomie. It's been awhile since I've gone through Breaking Bad, what makes you thing Gomie works for Fring?

I finally started watching Fargo after sleeping on it for so long.

Bob Odenkirk is in it too, and I'm just gonna pretend that this is just another of Jimmy's many escapades.

Jimmy becomes Saul, Saul becomes Gene after the events of Breaking Bad, after Gene collapses in Better Call Saul S3E1 he moves from Omaha to Bemidji, Minnesota and becomes Officer Bill Oswalt. I dig it.

Veelk

Banned
Jimmy becomes Saul, Saul becomes Gene after the events of Breaking Bad, after Gene collapses in Better Call Saul S3E1 he moves from Omaha to Bemidji, Minnesota and becomes Officer Bill Oswalt. I dig it.

He even keeps his
hangup about brothers!

Christhor

This show is so good! It retroactively make me hate Walter White even more, since he gives Hector the ability to get revenge on Gus, though he truly does not deserve it.

Never even thought about that, this really means that WW
won against Gus
in pretty much every way.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
The two biggest questions for the rest of BCS:

1. How is Chuck removed from the BB timeline? Is he dead, committed, or something else?

2. How (why) is Kim not in the BB timeline? Is she dead, gone (in KS, perhaps?), or something else?

Everything else, aside from maybe the exact moment Jimmy starts his Saul Goodman practice and the exact moment Hector is incapacitated, is window dressing.

These are the biggest factors for the duration. Where do you land? I think Chuck is committed (but HHM still had a claim on the McGill name?) and Kim is killed. Both break Jimmy into Saul.

The two biggest questions for the rest of BCS:

1. How is Chuck removed from the BB timeline? Is he dead, committed, or something else?

2. How (why) is Kim not in the BB timeline? Is she dead, gone (in KS, perhaps?), or something else?

Everything else, aside from maybe the exact moment Jimmy starts his Saul Goodman practice and the exact moment Hector is incapacitated, is window dressing.

These are the biggest factors for the duration. Where do you land? I think Chuck is committed (but HHM still had a claim on the McGill name?) and Kim is killed. Both break Jimmy into Saul.

In a way, who knows. Saul Goodman was a side character and somewhat comic relief throughout Breaking Bad, and that show never took the time to explore his personal relationships outside of the office. Just because neither Chuck or Kim are in Breaking Bad doesn't itself necessarily mean they're imprisoned or dead during that time period.

Having said that, I'm guessing irreversibly bad things happen to at least one of them.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
In a way, who knows. Saul Goodman was a side character and somewhat comic relief throughout Breaking Bad, and that show never took the time to explore his personal relationships outside of the office. Just because neither Chuck or Kim are in Breaking Bad doesn't itself necessarily mean they're imprisoned or dead during that time period.

Having said that, I'm guessing irreversibly bad things happen to at least one of them.

But we do know the following from BB and post-BB Gene in Omaha:

1. Jimmy appears to have been 'broken' into taking full advantage of the law as Saul Goodman;

2. He's not using the Jimmy McGill name;

3. He appears to be alone in Omaha following the events in BB;

4. He doesn't appear to be worried about his 'family', if he has one, throughout the many times he's threatened in BB.

Yes we don't actually KNOW what happens to Chuck and Kim, but we don't know nothing. We know something breaks Jimmy.

1. Jimmy appears to have been 'broken' into taking full advantage of the law as Saul Goodman;

4. He doesn't appear to be worried about his 'family', if he has one, throughout the many times he's threatened in BB.

Yes we don't actually KNOW what happens to Chuck and Kim, but we don't know nothing. We know something breaks Jimmy.

I'm guessing Chuck is completely out of the picture in some way. Chuck had endless disdain for Jimmy as Jimmy McGill, Elder Law Attorney. There's no way Jimmy practicing law as Saul Goodman during the Breaking Bad events would have any continuing relationship with Chuck. It could be something as simple and relatively banal as Jimmy and Chuck/Kim having permanent falling outs and cease speaking to each other. Or they could be dead.

Although the receptionist stuck by Jimmy throughout the period he became Saul Goodman, and back when she started she worked for both Jimmy and Kim when they had a co-practice. If Kim met a horrific end it's likely she would have deserted Jimmy altogether.

If Chuck is the one who ends up losing his law license I could see that being the thing that really pushes him over the edge. As for Kim I'd hope just for a major falling out because I really don't want her to meet some tragic end.

I think these can be explained by having the law after him though. He can't very well go back to the two known "family" members at this point. I'm confident one or more IS still in the picture, otherwise the flashforward stuff wouldn't be as significant. It's probably Kim because as dark as this show gets, some light at the end of the tunnel would be welcome at the end of both series.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I think these can be explained by having the law after him though. He can't very well go back to the two known "family" members at this point. I'm confident one or more IS still in the picture, otherwise the flashforward stuff wouldn't be as significant. It's probably Kim because as dark as this show gets, some light at the end of the tunnel would be welcome at the end of both series.

While it would be a salve for the soul, which part of the Gilligan-verse makes you feel like we're ending on a high note?

iirate

I'm guessing both are completely out of the picture by BB. To venture further, I'm calling that Chuck dies and Kim cuts ties, but will be part of Gene's redemption post-BB and we'll get a (somewhat)happy ending for the two of them.

Agreed.

While it would be a salve for the soul, which part of the Gilligan-verse makes you feel like we're ending on a high note?

BB was a tragedy, and Saul's story up to then was certainly as well, but I don't think that necessarily holds true elsewhere. Even BB had a bit of optimism in its ending, once again bending reality significantly to give us that, too.

Simply the setup of the flashforwards being so unrelentingly miserable make me believe that ultimately they must end up somewhere more positive, otherwise it just feels like torture against Jimmy/Saul. I don't believe it makes sense to have multiple seasons reflecting on his downfall and eventually hitting and staying at rock bottom.

I guess I'll use spoiler tags for people who avoid watching promos.

The Mesa Verde person asking Kim "are you sure it's not going to be a problem?" makes me wonder if everything on her plate she's attempting to juggle is too much. Kim was supposed to be just a single-client lawyer for Mesa Verde, but she's now defending Jimmy as well as taking on some of his elderly clients since he's been so preoccupied with his battle with Chuck.

pigeon

Banned

I think the writing is on the wall that Kim will lose her license to practice law because of Jimmy, a fate worse than death for her and the only reason she'd be back in Nebraska. Her dying seems a little too dark for the fun and games of Better Call Saul. People get kneecapped in Jimmy's world, not shot.

I assume the coda will involve Kim and Saul meeting in the present day, although there are a lot of ways that could go. She may not even know he's there or who he is.

shamanick

I guess I'll use spoiler tags for people who avoid watching promos.

The Mesa Verde person asking Kim "are you sure it's not going to be a problem?" makes me wonder if everything on her plate she's attempting to juggle is too much. Kim was supposed to be just a single-client lawyer for Mesa Verde, but she's now defending Jimmy as well as taking on some of his elderly clients since he's been so preoccupied with his battle with Chuck.

This scene is this week's "sneak peek", if you're interested.

Bandit1

nNEXrpc.gif

It's showtime folks

Top Bottom