• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Damn, that's quite the image to end the episode on.

Worried about his family never getting his money if something happens to him :/

Damn, for a character who has pretty limited screentime compared to most of the rest of the main cast, Michael Mando's done a good job of making me care about Nacho. This has been a great episode for him.

i know. that was one of the reasons that scene was so tense. I was afraid of what Hector would have done to him if he caught him. show has an amazing supporting cast

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
i know. that was one of the reasons that scene was so tense. I was afraid of what Hector would have done to him if he caught him. show has an amazing supporting cast

Yeah, seriously. It wouldn't have been crazy to consider something bad happening with how relatively minor he's been. Even though I believed he'd be successful, they played it so well and made real, palpable tension there.

The fun thing with Jimmy's Saul breakout in this episode is that they're softening the blow a bit by making his targets purely the assholes who deserve a bit of comeuppance. It's making me wonder if it's actually the thing that's going to create a rift between Jimmy and Kim. Will he do it to a less deserving target, or will the act of doing it at all be a problem for Kim? There's been some tension these past two episodes between them, a little bit of unease, and I can't help but think if Kim's just going to feel uncomfortable about how Jimmy's getting his money and his insistence that he keep doing it in this shady manner. It's the kind of smaller scale thing that I'd totally believe being the cause of their possible rift (and that's assuming a rift does indeed form).

Would that community service guy at the end really buy that? Ehh. Seems like those types would file what Jimmy said under "the 1001st way people have tried to squirm out of this," then tell him to fuck off and get back to work. Then he'd go home and tell his girlfriend some idiot threatened to sue him if he didn't let him go. Then they'd laugh and watch a DVD because it's 2003 and there's no Netflix streaming.

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
Would that community service guy at the end really buy that? Ehh. Seems like those types would file what Jimmy said under "the 1001st way people have tried to squirm out of this," then tell him to fuck off and get back to work. Then he'd go home and tell his girlfriend some idiot threatened to sue him if he didn't let him go. Then they'd laugh and watch a DVD because it's 2003 and there's no Netflix streaming.

I can see the objection, but he knows that Jimmy is an actual lawyer and Jimmy also has the kind of self-assured charisma and delivery that makes stuff he's saying sound true. On top of that, it'd be a case with a legitimate chance at success in Jimmy's favor too. I think those aspects combined make it believable enough, especially considering that the slip in the guitar shop shows us Jimmy really would be willing to act on it as he laid out. Jimmy's fought with him in the previous episode and has a legitimate threat to him, I can definitely buy into the guy giving in.

hydruxo

I think it all comes down to Jimmy's ability to persaude people. He's just genuinely great at it and he backs people into a corner they probably know they can get out of, but he convinces them otherwise.

Dereck

smBGRHr.gif

Legit shook

It was a good scene but the pills would obviously make noise when he threw it in the pocket but w/e cant look at ll the small details.
He couldve just gotten the coffee and as he was bringing it back, slid the pills in slowly as he was kneeling next to him or something

Dereck

whats funny? u dont think they wouldnt? the pillbox was 1/4 full - they would shake and make noise
I'm laughing because there are a million but couldn't he have just done this instead comments that I could make about that scene, but I simply took it for what it was. Somewhat corny.

Good fucking god, everything about the pill-switching scene was incredibly tense and amazing, I was sweating along with him. And I love the Mike-esque practicing Nacho did palming and dropping them in the pocket, great attention to detail.

The Chuck/doctor scene was really something, too. I know, I know "Fuck Chuck" and all that but his illness is quite separate from his dealings with Jimmy so it was quite interesting to see him facing it head on and getting better. Take Jimmy out of the picture and he is still a deeply broken man.

I kinda want more Nacho/Mike/Chuck and less Jimmy but this show is loaded with amazing characters (Kim! *swoon*).

KarmaCow

Is Chuck doing a long con on Dr. Chloe?

I doubt it, he's going through an awful lot like going to get groceries if he was faking it. He got clowned pretty hard, lost pretty much everything and is trying to genuinely recover from that. He can't mask his pain if his plan is to try to save face and go back to work.

It's the perfect setup for Jimmy to fuck it up and truly cross a line he can't walk back.

Dereck

Nacho perfectly angled the pill bottle during the toss that it would mitigate the pill rattling around as the bottle landed in the pocket as much as possible beforehand.

Wouldn't that make a sound as the pills get shaken in the container?

Not to be that guy, but seeing the gif made it stick out whereas during the episode I bought it wholesale.

Capsules filled high with powder make less noise than most pills. It's audible but more muted than the rattle you get with Advil or the mini maracca shake of capsules filled with extended release beads. To me it seemed like there was enough ambient noise in the restaurant (ceiling fan, chef banging around, etc) that he could get away with it.

Socreges

Banned
Capsules filled high with powder make less noise than most pills. It's audible but more muted than the rattle you get with Advil or the mini maracca shake of capsules filled with extended release beads. To me it seemed like there was enough ambient noise in the restaurant (ceiling fan, chef banging around, etc) that he could get away with it.
Plausible! Also explains why it didn't bother me while watching: it was loud.

Do you think Nacho had that in mind or was it just a case of things lining up coincidentally.
Sabotaging the AC, beyond the jacket, meant they'd need a fan. So that can easily seen as being deliberate.

Is Chuck doing a long con on Dr. Chloe?

No, the whole point of Chuck's scenes as I saw it was to show that he's genuinely trying to change his life, and he truly came to the realization that his condition is psychosomatic (he's too smart and analytical not to). What would be the point in him pretending to be trying to get better but not ACTUALLY, y'know... trying to get better? It's great to see but also heartbreaking because we know Jimmy will fuck him up somehow, or pull him back into his vortex of bullshit with the insurance stuff.

DoubleYou

I'm wondering if we're ever going to see Gus fucking up big time. I mean, he has to learn too, right?
Right now, he's still the 'always one step ahead' guy,
like in BB
. But I'm kind of hoping we see some progression to his character.

Great episode by the way. This season has been nothing but amazing.

Who was the body that Mike found in the desert? Was there any context to that? I don't recall anything about that from the last episode...

edit- never mind, I checked the EW recap from the post above and it answers the question.

100%, Michael Mando is an amazing actor. I think another reason the scene was intense is Nacho's fate has yet to be determined. Those who've watched Breaking Bad know how 80% of the characters in Better Call Saul end up, but new characters like Nacho, Kim, Chuck, est. we're not sure thus added tension (plus great writing and cinematography).

Mariolee

100%, Michael Mando is an amazing actor. I think another reason the scene was intense is Nacho's fate has yet to be determined. Those who've watched Breaking Bad know how 80% of the characters in Better Call Saul end up, but new characters like Nacho, Kim, Chuck, est. we're not sure thus added tension (plus great writing and cinematography).

Didn't Saul (supposedly) mention Nacho when he first was held at gunpoint by Walt and Jesse?

Didn't Saul (supposedly) mention Nacho when he first was held at gunpoint by Walt and Jesse?

He certainly did, although it could be a different Ignacio.

No way in hell is it a different Ignacio.

That was some riveting television.

And although we saw the name Saul adopted in full already, him getting that $700 felt like the real birth of Saul.

NotLiquid

doesn't saul mention something about an "ignacio" when you first see him in breaking bad though?

He did, but it wasn't a comment confirming anything. Saul thought Walter and Jesse were sent by someone named "Lalo" and Saul tried blaming whatever the beef was on Ignacio. Peter Gould implied it's Nacho he was referring to.

Top Bottom