• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

Dany

Banned
Halfway through season 2

OMG THE TWINS. I don't know why I fell off this show between season 1-2. It is just so easy to watch and so engrossing.

duckroll

I must say, it is really satisfying seeing Kim stand up for herself. I want to see her succeed and extract herself from Jimmy without meeting some tragic fate. Pls pls pls pls.

SDCowboy

I must say, it is really satisfying seeing Kim stand up for herself. I want to see her succeed and extract herself from Jimmy without meeting some tragic fate. Pls pls pls pls.

I just can't see it. They're both a couple and business partners. I can't see that getting broken up cleanly. Not on this show. lol

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

I honestly see Kim just moving home or maybe she still is New Mexico but we have no idea. We never got a background on Saul in BB just pops up never saw his home life.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Moving home, as in what?

Kansas City I think she is from. She had Royals gear on at one point I believe.

PI-MLB-Royals-Kim-Wexler-5-032216.vresize.1200.675.high.30.jpg

He certainly did, although it could be a different Ignacio.

No way in hell is it a different Ignacio.

That was some riveting television.

And although we saw the name Saul adopted in full already, him getting that $700 felt like the real birth of Saul.
I agree. And I like that in the end we didn't get any sort of indication that the guy was lying about where he needed to go. It means that at this point at least Saul Goodman is just trying to help someone who wouldn't get help otherwise.

SDCowboy

Kansas City I think she is from. She had Royals gear on at one point I believe.

Eh, I still can't see it. Just breaking them up that cleanly would seem extremely anticlimactic for this show, IMO.

She's a main character, they're a couple and they're business partners. There is too much there for her to just leave, and that's it. I don't know if she'll be killed off, but I can't see her just splitting. I think it's more likely she gets into the shady stuff with Jimmy, and something happens from there.

you sweet summer child

I think a tragic fate is in store for Chuck, but killing off Kim would be laying it on a little thick.

Francesca sticks with Jimmy from his current practice to the Saul Goodman one in Breaking Bad. She's a receptionist for both Jimmy and Kim (and Kim much more so at the moment because Jimmy isn't currently practicing) and it seems unlikely she'd stick with Jimmy if his actions got Kim killed, directly or indirectly. At this point she's still fairly straight-laced.

Plus, it would be unnecessarily gratuitous to simply kill everyone around Jimmy just for the sake of his character development. For a while, Jimmy had two people in his life he wanted respect and admiration from to keep him on a legal path. With Chuck, any such delusion has been erased, so Jimmy's no longer seeking his approval. But there's still Kim. Kim is the last thing keeping Jimmy somewhat grounded, and her leaving him without much hope of reconciliation would remove the last person in his life he would want to be a legit practitioner for.

Not everybody needs to die to bring the point home.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Eh, I still can't see it. Just breaking them up that cleanly would seem extremely anticlimactic for this show, IMO.

She's a main character, they're a couple and they're business partners. There is too much there for her to just leave, and that's it.

We don't even know if she even actually leaves for all we know she is still in Albuquerque still practicing law.

This isn't a show like Breaking Bad where death seems to be a thing. The epilogue part of the show is clearly in the future in Omaha. Which is close to Kansas City. I can see a falling out between them.

I think a tragic fate is in store for Chuck, but killing off Kim would be laying it on a little thick.

Francesca sticks with Jimmy from his current practice to the Saul Goodman one in Breaking Bad. She's a receptionist for both Jimmy and Kim (and Kim much more so at the moment because Jimmy isn't currently practicing) and it seems unlikely she'd stick with Jimmy if his actions got Kim killed, directly or indirectly. At this point she's still fairly straight-laced.

Plus, it would be unnecessarily gratuitous to simply kill everyone around Jimmy just for the sake of his character development. For a while, Jimmy had two people in his life he wanted respect and admiration from to keep him on a legal path. With Chuck, any such delusion has been erased, so Jimmy's no longer seeking his approval. But there's still Kim. Kim is the last thing keeping Jimmy somewhat grounded, and her leaving him without much hope of reconciliation would remove the last person in his life he would want to be a legit practitioner for.

Not everybody needs to die to bring the point home.

Exactly this is not a show like Breaking Bad where people will die.

SDCowboy

We don't even know if she even actually leaves for all we know she is still in Albuquerque still practicing law.

This isn't a show like Breaking Bad where death seems to be a thing. The epilogue part of the show is clearly in the future in Omaha. Which is close to Kansas City. I can see a falling out between them.

Right, I'm not saying she will probably get killed off. But she is way too connected with Jimmy to just bail on him. Something has to happen, and I can't see it being a clean split.

Like I mentioned, I could see Kim getting into the shady shit with Jimmy, and something bad happen there, far more than I can see her just splitting up.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Right, I'm not saying she will probably get killed off. But she is way too connected with Jimmy to just bail on him. Something has to happen, and I can't see it being a clean split.

Of course not something happens most likely but then again we don't know shit about Saul's/Jimmy's personal life.

Oh no I don't think she'll die, but I certainly don't think she's going to come out of this relationship with Jimmy in a good place. But I agree with everything else you said, this is not that show.

SDCowboy

Of course not something happens most likely but then again we don't know shit about Saul's/Jimmy's personal life.
I mean heck, in this universe, I could see Kim is rotting away in a prison cell during BB because Jimmy had to save himself at some point. I could see something like that happen to her.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
I mean heck, in this universe, I could see Kim is rotting away in a prison sell during BB because Jimmy had to save himself at some point. I could see something like that happen to her.

Her in prison would suck a lot. I am hoping for the ending that Saul/Jimmy goes looking for her in Omaha.

Like I mentioned, I could see Kim getting into the shady shit with Jimmy, and something bad happen there, far more than I can see her just splitting up.

It probably won't necessarily be a clean, amicable split. Jimmy could do something to ruin Kim's law career.

Also, they've shown that Kim's working extremely long hours on Mesa Verde alone, and in the latest episode she's picking up an oil company client on top of that, plus picking up some of the slack around managing the office while Jimmy plays his guitar on the floor of his office. She's clearly stressed at times (snapping at the Mesa Verde person in the previous episode). She's bothered by her role in the bar association hearing, They might be building towards the sheer workload plus association with Jimmy coming crashing down on Kim.

I was biting my knuckle during the Nacho exchange scene. Never felt so much tension watching something on TV. Hope he doesn't get found out and popped.

"I would never take money from your family."

big ander

The Nacho scene was amazing--just classic BB/BCS delving into the process of a scheme. Same for Mike in the desert. Kim and Howard at lunch and the argument afterwards were equally intense.

But dammit, my favorite scene...I was firmly on team Fuck Chuck. But as he spoke to Dr. Cruz about his progress and his hopes for the future, and seemed to on some level realize exactly how low he's allowed his mental illness to take him, and how much he's hurt those that have loved him, it was difficult not to well up. McKean killed it.

Nacho scene was giving me "You have one minute" flashbacks with how tense it was.

Also, I felt a bit sorry for Chuck. Is something wrong with me?

What the heck was up with the ending

"Maybe there is a way we can come to an arrangement.
Would you take 20% as a cut?
No, I won't take money from your family. Now lets shake on it.
Wait... you didn't tell me what I would have to do or what the deal is.
I AM THE ONE WHO SHAKES."

Why would Mike just blind agree to a deal.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

Mike knows the money will go in a business of some sort so he can launder the money. Gus respects Mike and family. Thats why I am assuming it will be the laundromat.

But dammit, my favorite scene...I was firmly on team Fuck Chuck. But as he spoke to Dr. Cruz about his progress and his hopes for the future, and seemed to on some level realize exactly how low he's allowed his mental illness to take him, and how much he's hurt those that have loved him, it was difficult not to well up. McKean killed it.

Also, I felt a bit sorry for Chuck. Is something wrong with me?

Of course not. Chuck can be a downright asshole, but he’s not evil. He’s not a villain. He’s just a very flawed human being. There was no obvious hint of an ulterior motive in his scenes this week, just him being vulnerable and wanting to get better.

Although his newfound clarity of wanting to improve his life for his own sake and move on from his feud with his brother looks like it’s about to come crashing down as Howard arrives and wants to talk about his malpractice insurance.

jett

D-Member
Pretty solid.

For some reason I thought this might be the finale and for a second I was really confused the season would end like that lol.

Fury451

Banned

I think Mike is smart enough to pick up on the fact that Gus is a consummate professional, and a hyper intelligent guy. He knows the only reason that he hasn't killed Hector is because he's a big picture thinker and not sloppy, so he knows that whatever solution there is for the money will be secure and on the level.

I like that those two basically have each other figured out, there's no need to really build on them figuring out what the other's game is or who they are character/personality wise. The little cat mouse game of tracking is what did that already. There's a weird unsung trust and respect.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Great episode. This show plays the "Mike is up to something mysterious and we'll reveal later what is!" card way, way, way too often, though.

I assumed that as a consummate professional, Mike could read between the lines that Gus wanted Mike to come work for him in return for laundering his money, and that's what he was agreeing to?

bluethree

Honestly, there's nothing in the story so far that points to anything other than a professional / personal split imo.

SpaceWolf

Banned
It disappoints me to see people deriding this season for being too slow and that "nothing's happening!". I love how this show is paced.

Nekofrog

Banned
I think the shows great and all but it's honestly never felt tense or urgent to me, and I've watched it since the first episode. Also, I cannot see this show standing up well to binging.

zewone

leujvg428y1z.png

Timeline for Gus buying the lab in 2003 and it barely finishes in early 2009.

I don't think they planned that out very well. Forced the laundromat for that nostalgia.

zewone

Wait, what? I don't remember this.

You don't remember the check or them showing Gus checking out the laundromat he was buying with Lydia?

The check is just important as it tells us the current timeline that BCS is at.

Edit: Oh sorry, the bolded.

Walt's first day at the lab when it was finished completion was S3E05

Más- March 11-15, 2009

SpaceWolf

Banned
Walt's first day at the lab when it was finished completion was S3E05

Más- March 11-15, 2009

Huh. I thought the lab had been up and running for years at that point. Gale seemed very familiar with the lab, I assumed he'd been working there for a while.

zewone

Huh. I thought the lab had been up and running for years at that point. Gale seemed very familiar with the lab, I assumed he'd been working there for a while.

In a flashback scene, when the lab barely received it's equipment and Gus and Gale are going back and forth about it, Gale talks about testing the product from Walt and he talks about how much better the cook is who made that batch, which convinces Gus to work wtih Walt.

The lab wasn't even set up at that point and Gus and Walt had already been introduced so the lab could not have been up and running earlier than late 2008/early 2009.

____

I think the shows great and all but it's honestly never felt tense or urgent to me, and I've watched it since the first episode. Also, I cannot see this show standing up well to binging.

I binged seasons 1 and 2 before the beginning of the season and it was even better than week by week because of the finer details.

Lothar

Banned
It disappoints me to see people deriding this season for being too slow and that "nothing's happening!". I love how this show is paced.

I like it but I don't love it. I care a lot but it doesn't excite me that much. I wish it was faster. They've taken such small steps that it still feels like it should be a 100 episode 10 season show. Jimmy's still just begun to drift to the dark side. It makes sense that we're still in 2003 and BB is in 2008 because everything seems to be so far away.

The biggest issue with it being slow is that we waited a whole year to get a tiny amount of progress and now we'll have to wait another year.

I assumed that as a consummate professional, Mike could read between the lines that Gus wanted Mike to come work for him in return for laundering his money, and that's what he was agreeing to?

That's exactly what was happening. He doesn't actually care about Mike's family lol, although he is a professional, that was just his way of saying he's not going to accept the 20% because he wants Mike to abide by HIS rules of the arrangement.

Whether that means coming in his employ or accomplishing some task remains to be seen but he would only launder the money for a task not more money

big ander

I don't even think Better Call Saul is that slow. Slow relative to Breaking Bad, maybe, if you're constantly wondering when and how he's going to become Goodman fully. But I don't want to see that, for the sake of the character and because he's so compelling to watch a show is.

Also I thought Gus was pretty genuine with the not wanting to take from Mike's family. Gus's whole thing is being as meticulous as possible and following a rigid code of honor devoid of passion and emotion (unlike the Salamancas who'll beat up a dealer to make a point). I'm not sure the handshake meant Mike's in the right hand man spot yet. As someone said could just be that he'll put money in the laundromat

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Slippin' Jimmy literally came back in this one. I love it. We also got to see him dip his toes into being a criminal lawyer with the scene during community service. You could practically see the dollar signs in his eyes. He made $700 for less than 5 minutes of work.

Top Bottom