• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Between the Dreamcast, GameCube, and Xbox, which console do you think was the best?

Between the Dreamcast, GameCube, and Xbox, which console do you think was the best?

• Dreamcast

• GameCube

• Xbox

Results are only viewable after voting.

LakeOf9

The fifth gen poll was disappointing, but I have faith for the sixth gen poll. Don't let me down GAF.

Anyway...

The PS2 was even more dominant in its era than the PS1 had been in its. It was so utterly dominant that it remains the absolute highest selling console of all time to the day, a feat that no system since has matched (so far anyway). But the PS2 also ran up against some incredible consoles in their own right - in some other time, those consoles might have done a whole lot better for themselves than they ended up doing, in this timeline of course, they had the misfortune to go up against the PS2.

So let's talk about those other consoles:

The Dreamcast was Sega's last gasp, and what a finale it was. Beautiful and elegant hardware, designed to be very powerful and very cost effective, and supported with an incredible and relentless lineup of fantastic games for the 2-3 years that the system spent on the market. Sega went HAM with the Dreamcast, putting out banger after banger after banger after banger, across all genres and styles and formats, bringing back classic IP in a big way (like with Sonic Adventure), introducing ambitious new IP (like Crazy Taxi and Shenmue). Third parties put out some great games on the Dreamcast too, from SoulCalibur to Tony Hawk. Fantastic, excellent console, one that deserved a far better fate than it got.

The GameCube was Nintendo's last traditional console, and they went all in. While at the time it was mocked, time has been kind to the GameCube and its legacy stands out in its elegant design, its great hardware, and most of all, its incredible, fantastic lineup of generation and era defining games that were so ahead of their time and so good that they could be released as is today for full price and still stand up to scrutiny - we know this because this has actually happened multiple times in the last few years. Between Nintendo's own classics such as Metroid Prime, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Mario Kart Double Dash, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Super Smash Bros. Melee, and F-Zero GX (made with Sega!), to third party hits like Resident Evil 4, Tales of Symphony, Skies of Arcadia, and SoulCalibur 2, the GameCube was an incredible system with an incredible lineup.

The Xbox was Microsoft's first entry into the console market, and there is a case to be made that it remains the best. It had Microsoft investing in all sorts of games to secure exclusives, first and third party, and it brought to much to the table - it was extremely powerful (way more powerful than any other system that gen), it properly codified online gaming (something theDreamcast had taken tentative steps towards but not been able to substantiate before it died out), and the games! Halo, Halo 2, Forza Motorsport, Project Gotham Racing, Fable, and third party stuff like Knights of the Old Republic, Morrowind, and Ninja Garden Black, the Xbox made its presence known very effectively and set Microsoft up for success with their follow ups in the future. The Xbox was another excellent console with a great lineup and en enviable feature set that legitimately made it feel like something from the future.

Which of these three do you think was the best, and why?

Pug

Dreamcast was before its time. And just for PSO alone it tops the list for me. It was for many the first introduction to the future of online gaming. I will never forget playing with Japanese and American gamers for the first time.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I loved the Dreamcast and had a lot of fun with, but Gamecube was such a surprise with killer apps such Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime 1 & 2, Tales of Symphonia , RE remake and Wind Waker/TP. GC was such a huge step up from the disappointment that was N64, and even though it had a relatively small library of games, they were almost all of high quality. Loved the small form factor too, the purple color and the controller. Gamecube deserved a better fate.

Last edited:

keefged4

Its very tough deciding between Dreamcast/Gamecube as they are both S tier for me. Dreamcast wins by a baw hair. Shenmue 1/2, Sonic Adventure at the time was mind blowing. The Cube has Metroid Prime and Fzero GX, but nothing will take away the sheer amazement of seeing Sonic Adventure back when it first came out for me.

Last edited:
Even as a SEGA kid I can't bring myself to give the Dreamcast the vote out of the 3, It probably doesn't better the GameCube. My SEGA background means I have zero nostalgia for Nintendo stuff like most do on GAF, but the GameCube was kinda neat with some interesting experiences that the Dreamcast probably didn't get the time for.

The Xbox trumps both to be fair. Felt like a next-gen console at times. Thinking back it was pretty wild getting full on major PC releases (Half Life 2, Doom 3, Morrowind etc) alongside a whole bunch of SEGA stuff like JSRF, Shenmue II, Crazy Taxi 3 etc. Was a more exciting console to own than either a GameCube or Dreamcast

Gamecube, but dreamcast was the most fun whilst it lasted, xbox clearly the best technically.

Dreamcast, for me, because it represents a strong arcadey era of gaming that I thought was genuinely beautiful for how fun it was.
Space Channel 5, Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio (Power Stone 1 and 2 as well), are really good examples of what I'm talking about.

Also, this might be super minor and irrelevant to this discussion, the name "Dreamcast" is quite striking.

But this is no dismissing of the Gamecube and Xbox.

I really enjoy the Xbox library, Dead or Alive 3 being one of my favorites games ever.

And the Gamecube, while it doesn't have a great overall library, it's great games are or should be legendary.

Last edited:

fatmarco

The original Xbox simply isn't appreciated by people who only spent their time on the other consoles.

The amount of games that you could only play on Xbox was ridiculous. People strawman Xbox as a Halo only console, but it had an extremely varied 1st party output and a lot of 3rd party exclusives, but even then there were numerous non exclusive 3rd party games that weren't even on any other console.

The PC ports alone make it significantly better than the Gamecube and Dreamcast. Could you play Half Life 2, Doom 3, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2, Chronicles of Riddick, Thief: Deadly Shadows, Unreal Championship (UT2003), and Jedi Academy on a Gamecube or PS2? (a lot of these games were Xbox exclusives first too)

As far as the Gamecube question goes, people forget just generally how many 3rd party titles missed that system in the end. I get that you can reframe a consoles legacy by a filtered selection of its exclusives in the present day, but it was genuinely terrible if you were a Gamecube owner when it was actually out due to all the titles that missed that system and released ultimately only on PS2 and Xbox (Grand Theft Auto, Metal Gear Solid 2, Max Payne, Burnout 3 to name a few).

kunonabi

Dreamcast without a doubt. Xbox had nothing of interest to me since I don't like shooters much and i really only used the GC for some multiplayer games and Capcom's output since Nintendo's stuff was blah outside of the first Metroid Prime.

yurinka

As a fan of 2D fighting games and arcade games, Dreamcast by far.

I had a lot of fun in Gamecube with a few games that were gems but I wasn't interested in the rest. DC gave me way more games that I liked.

Last edited:

Bond007

Dreamcast
Gamecube
Xbox for me.

Loved my Dreamcast and it opened my eyes to alot and was the perfect console leading to PS2. Soul Calibur, Crazy Taxi, Ready2Rumble, NBA2K, Sonic Adventure, Shenmue, Trickstyle
Gamecube had alot of memorable games for me as typical with a Nintendo console as my secondary.
Xbox has a brand has never resonated with me outside of the one great year of 360 before PS3 for me. Outside of Halo and Project Gotham- i have nothing much to remember in my time owning this.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Gamecube was out of the window when they hyped the fuck out of me with that mature zelda, just to end up that freakishly ugly cartoonish look that made me want to punch him in the face.

Xbox had Halo and DOA3 for me only. and while they were good, nothing was close to the dreamcast for me.

Shenmue 1 and 2, PSO ( god i played that game to death ), Street fighter 3rd stike and Marvel vs capcom and power stones.. Resident Evil Code V... dreamcast was on a different league. fu mfers for not buying it.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Dreamcast is one of my favorite consoles. It was the perfect arcade machine with everything from sports games to fighters. Online play with PSO and others was revolutionary. When the PS2 launched with it's atrocious line up of games like Orphen, Evergrace, etc it only solidified my love for the Dreamcast and made me sad that everyone rushed to buy that over-hyped DVD player and left the DC to die.

Xbox #2, since it carried forward the Sega torch after the DC died. Halo was a revelation - so much fun spent at LAN parties with friends. For all multi plat games, Xbox got the best version.

GameCube #3. Don't get me wrong, I had a GC and enjoyed it, but it was in many ways a poor man's Xbox/PS2. The exclusives list was pretty sad beyond Prime. The controller was also a travesty. Resi 4 gave it new life for me back in the day, but in the end it falls behind the above two systems by a wide margin.

Hohenheim

Gamecube is my favourite console, but the OG Xbox is not far behind. Both was really great, and I hope so many amazing memories from both.
Never had a Dreamcast, sadly.

POKEYCLYDE

Halo 1, 2 and the proliferation of online multi-player on consoles. Xbox probably just barely edges out GameCube for me.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Had to go Xbox, but it's actually joint with DC

I only voted Xbox because of Halo and the KOTOR ports.

GC was a shit console. Worst mainline Mario game. Shite Mario Kart and I couldn't stomach Wind Waker because of the awful art style.

Just my opinion. Please don't bite.

Roberts

OG Xbox by far. I had Gamecube for a few years and I only ended up playing one game on it. There is nothing really wrong with the console but it was a totally wrong console for me at the time. Never had Dreamcast but I played it a bit at my friend's place and have just about zero recollection on what was good or bad about it.

Killer8

Xbox by far.

Halo was a revolution for console FPS games. Xbox, via Halo 2, revolutionized console online multiplayer. Yeah, other consoles had online too, like PS2 with the network adapter, but it was shit and everything out there paled in comparison to nightly Halo 2 online. Cannot be overstated enough. The console had a great library with excellent genre support. Racing covered by the PGR series, Burnout games, NFS, Outrun 2, Forza Motorsport. RPGs covered by Morrowind, KotOR series, Fable. It had the best action game maybe of all time - Ninja Gaiden Black. The list goes on and on. It often had the best versions of mulit-platform releases and got many games GameCube just didn't.

GameCube was decent in its own way and the low price point made it worth picking one up. It had some of my favorite games of all time like SSBM, Resident Evil 4, REmake, Wind Waker (best Zelda game) and Metroid Prime. Lots of weird and unique games too like Super Monkey Ball, Viewtiful Joe, Chibi-Robo, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, and of course Killer7. Next to KotOR on Xbox, it had the best Star Wars game ever in Rogue Squadron II. It was a wild time as a child to have playable Star Wars at home. Where the console faltered though was the poor third-party support compared to the competition. It lost out on GTA completely and didn't get Burnout 3. Even Xbox got a Metal Gear and a Silent Hill game...

Dreamcast was just dogshit if you don't care about fighting games (I don't, and the competition more than had you covered there anyways). Or arcade games that are only good for a quick 15 minute run. Many of its good games got better ports to other platforms too (Crazy Taxi on Gamecube, Code Veronica X on PS2, Shenmue II on Xbox). The controller was horrendous and gave me cramp unlike any other. I'll pour some more salt in the wound and say that SEGA's own output was even better on the Xbox (Panzer Dragoon Orta, Outrun 2 and Jet Set Radio Future were better than anything on the Dreamcast).

Last edited:

cireza

Gold Member
Dreamcast has the most merits has it kicked off the gen and introduced a ton of features that became standard afterwards.

Otherwise my pick without taking this into account is the Xbox. Fantastic console, great library, bundled with a hard-drive that made possible many incredible PC ports.

Top Bottom