• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Between the Dreamcast, GameCube, and Xbox, which console do you think was the best?

Between the Dreamcast, GameCube, and Xbox, which console do you think was the best?

• Dreamcast

• GameCube

• Xbox

Results are only viewable after voting.

StereoVsn

If we are taking consoles by themselves without taking into account PC ports, then this is a very interesting question.

Xbox had a ton of PC games running at respectable performance as listed above.

If we discount PC ports and focus on mostly exclusives, then it’s Dreamcast -> GameCube -> Xbox. That’s especially so if you consider the first few years when Dreamcast got support.

GameCube and Xbox both got some Dreamcast ports and even sequels after Dreamcast died (Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue 2, etc).

The GameCube was amazing, but as a side note, a properly modded Xbox was an amazing media machine. You could do anything with it.

Last edited:

Quasicat

I think GameCube has the best exclusives, but also had the luxury of receiving some of the best Dreamcast titles as well. Any console that has Nintendo published titles, but also has Crazy Taxi, Phantasy Star Online, and Skies of Arcadia is the best in my book.

Brute Force

The Office GIF

Hudo

I have to say Xbox, from a subjective point of view.

I had great fun at Xbox Link parties where we linked consoles together and played Halo. Got into a fight with a dude and successfully defended myself with the original Xbox Duke controller. Dude was bleeding.

However: The Wind Waker on Gamecube was magical.

Edit: And if we're being honest, Xbox was "Dreamcast Pro" (or "Dreamcast 2", if you want to be more dramatic)

Edit 2: I was also (and still am) a big Oddworld fan. So Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee being exclusive to Xbox also helped getting me to pester my Mom to pester my Dad to buy me an Xbox.

Last edited:

Drew1440

Has to be the original Xbox, it had such a revolutionary design with its internal hard drive which meant memory cards were a thing of the past. Also built in networking and the best graphics of its generation.
Microsoft also had excellent third party support, and their exclusive offering were worth checking out.

Last edited:

rm082e

I had all of them. I liked the Xbox as a platform the most, and spent the most time with it for sure. But objectively speaking the GameCube had way more good games and a lot of unique stuff at the time. I'm not usually much for Nintendo first party, but Metroid Prime, Windwaker and Sunshine was a real power trio of excellent games.

As someone who didn't have a big boner for all the SEGA arcade stuff at the time, the Dreamcast was way overhyped for what it turned out to be. I enjoyed Soul Reaver and a few other games, but a lot of them left me feeling disappointed.

For me: Xbox>GameCube>PS2>DreamCast

Alan Wake

Dreamcast only had 18 months on the market in the West before Sega pulled the plug so the comparison is a bit unfair. During that short lifespan it had an amazing library of games with impressive quality. Sure, there were quite a number of short arcade games like 18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker as well as quirky niche titles like Seaman. But we also had Shenmue, Resident Evil Code: Veronica, Skies of Arcadia, Grandia II, Timestalkers, Sega Rally 2, Metropolis Street Racer, Samba de Amigo, Jet Set Radio, Dead or Alive 2... And lots more. 2000 was a crazy year for Dreamcast owners.

I like Gamecube, it's a nice console. And I really like Xbox, it's still the only console I've picked up at launch and in fact I have it plugged in again this summer. But it's Dreamcast all the way for me here, and many Gamecube and Xbox titles would've ended up on Dreamcast had it stayed alive.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

This is tough. I loved the Dreamcast. Its still my favourite launch lineup ever, in the west. At this time I knew quite a bit of fanatics who bought it, and they also bought a high rate of software. So we borrowed. We also played some offline multiplayer, it was really fun. There was something unique about DC in 1999. The only way to play perfect ports of MvC, SC, Hydro Thunder and NBA Showtime. The console ultimately fell into the arcade deathtrap, with lots of short burst games that honestly weren't worth their price. Software content was changing. Yet Sega flooded the market with the likes of 18 Wheeler et al. I see above poster mentions it by coincidence. I was crazy for arcade ports at the time as I liked having them but even for me they sort of went overboard. Though Crazy Taxi, Rez and Bass Fishing (esp. 2) were unique enough.

But Xbox was seriously good as well. I think many gamers slept on it, and don't know how good it was. The graphics were half a gen ahead of the rest. Dead or Alive 3 was more impressive than anything I saw on consoles and Arcades. PGR was a perfected MSR. RalliSport was insane. Halo doesn't need introduction. Then they had this quirky Sega games too, like a bonafide Panzer Dragoon game, a JSR sequel, GunValkyrie which you had to learn to control but it paid off imo. Otogi with its insane particles.

The console itself had a hard drive, so gone with memorycards. It had built in broadband. But because you needed a Creditcard at first, I never used this. Games like Splinter Cell really made a technical difference, the Xbox was the most powerful system. Ninja Gaiden at 60fps.. what the hell.

The GC was fun, I picked one up, and then rebought one used with RE4 for very cheap. It had some neat games, but finally it couldn't really kept me hooked like the Xbox and PS2, and Dreamcast at the time as well.

ReBurn

Gold Member
They all had their strengths. I adored Dreamcast because of the excellent 60 FPS Sega arcade game ports. Xbox had better versions of a lot of third party titles. Gamecube had Rogue Squadron.

StereoVsn

I think GameCube has the best exclusives, but also had the luxury of receiving some of the best Dreamcast titles as well. Any console that has Nintendo published titles, but also has Crazy Taxi, Phantasy Star Online, and Skies of Arcadia is the best in my book.
Xbox also got some ports like Shenmue 2 and Jetset Radio. Plus Crazy Taxi and a few other games.

lachesis

Gold Member
For me, it's always the Dreamcast. I only cared for Game Cube and Xbox for select few games (mostly post DC Sega games)

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Not an easy decision, and I wouldn’t argue with anyone for selecting any of them.

I’d go Gamecube because it has some serious heavy hitters. Monkeyball was also a fresh new concept as was Pikmin, Animal Crossing, and Luigi’s Mansion. Plus Wave Race and Metroid Prime?

C’mon son. Acktually fuck anyone who says a different console. Especially Dreamcast. We had Skies of Arcadia, I’ll give you that.

phant0m

what is 'best'?

the influence of xbox on gaming over the last 20 years is undeniable and far exceeds the others -- it started the first centralized online gaming service for console, started huge franchises like Halo and Forza, and was the first console to include permanent storage and eliminate the need for memory cards. it's also where a lot of WRPGs cut their teeth in the console space like Morrowind, KOTOR, Jade Empire; these types of games were previously PC-only experiences. it often also had the best 'version' of multi-platform games due to hardware advantages over GCN + PS2.

GameCube had somewhat of a bad rap at the time for being 'kiddy' with the small discs and 1st party output, but it was the first console to feature wireless first party controllers. Despite the control being kind of wonky in general, the WaveBird was sooooo nice at the time. Like most Nintendo platforms, their first party games chose smart art direction and design that still holds up today. It also brought some new franchises (or franchise directions) with Pikmin, Metroid Prime, Luigi's Mansion and made SSBM into a premiere fighting franchise.

Dreamcast was the biggest wasted potential. So much interesting tech & capabilities -- the VMU, a Windows-powered OS(!), built-in modem, mouse+kb support, etc. Sadly developers never really got behind it though, and it was dwarfed by the PS2 in power + format just a year later. But thinking about influence? Basically none. It didn't start Sonic, and really no one cares about other Sega franchises from the time like Virtua Fighter or Power Stone, and even Crazy Taxi just sold the same game for 10 years.

Last edited:

El Muerto

Gold Member
1. Dreamcast. Way ahead of it's time at release. Lots of fun, unique IPs. A must if you're a Sega fan.
2. Xbox. It was great to have if you didnt have a gaming quality PC at the time. Spiritual successor of the Dreamcast.
3. Gamecube. It was great if you like mario and zelda. I'm not a big fan of either after the SNES.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
You said it OP, the Dreamcast was RELENTLESS at releasing banger after banger. It should have been more popular and a huge success.

No one else could ever replicate Sega's special flavor afterwards.

The first year on Dreamcast was magical, the first year on PS2 was watching dvd, playing the bouncer and fantavision. Anyway .. I'm yet again being nostalgic.

We also forget how big they were on the arcade scene. All their cabinets were huge, loud and pure adrenaline to play.

stn

All three had their share of great games, but Xbox takes it for me by a mile: Morrowind, Ninja Gaiden Black, KOTOR, Forza, Jade Empire, Fable, Deathrow, etc...

Such a great console.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
All three had their share of great games, but Xbox takes it for me by a mile: Morrowind, Ninja Gaiden Black, KOTOR, Forza, Jade Empire, Fable, Deathrow, etc...

Such a great console.
Yeah, I forgot about motherfucking Ninja Gaiden motherfucking Black.

Seider

Xbox was the most powerful... but id like to add this:

The Dreamcast is the final home video game console manufactured by Sega. It was released on November 27, 1998

The Xbox is a home video game console manufactured by Microsoft that is the first installment in the Xbox series of video game consoles. It was released as Microsoft's first foray into the gaming console market on November 15, 2001

Three years between both consoles.

Last edited:

nial

6th gen third-party stuff wasn't generally as crazy as the previous era, so at this point it just doesn't become enough of a good point with GCN vs. XBOX.
I think Nintendo's first-party lineup on the GameCube beats that of their next consoles (though, Wii was almost as good), but Dreamcast had some real gems and I can see an argument of it being better than PS2 in that aspect (gotta be honest, a lot of people were very critical of Sony with their first-party lineup back then compared to Sega and Nintendo).
Xbox was probably Microsoft's best console, IMO, but mostly thanks to third-party exclusives; first-party games for the most part, much like these days, weren't exactly anything special.
So for me, Dreamcast was the best one, I simply love that library.

1 gamecube
2 dreamcast
3 xbox

wavebird, melee, and re4 beat all
dreamcast was fun
had pc and halo bros were annoying so no xbox for me (dumb+cool console though)

Closer

Gamecube was out of the window when they hyped the fuck out of me with that mature zelda, just to end up that freakishly ugly cartoonish look that made me want to punch him in the face.
It was a tough choice between mature Zelda or cute grandma who cooks soup. Also we got huge momma Telma the next game. Best timeline.

Last edited:

Sojiro

I know PS2 wasn't an option, but first and foremost I would have went with it if it was an option. With that said I voted for Dreamcast, which is the console I played the most of those options by a large margin. I do have a GameCube now (but didnt in its prime) so I am still unfamiliar with most of its library and there could be a chance it would pass DC, I would just have to explore it's library more.

Xbox would definitely be last, most of its best games were also available on the PS2 IMO. Outside of Halo, Jet Set Radio Future, and Fable, I just don't have much interest in most of Xbox's exclusive titles, and even of the exclusives I mentioned, I played Halo on PC and it was by far the definitive way to experience it, sorry Xbox.

Last edited:

phant0m

in simplest terms:
  1. Xbox - Xbox Live & Internal HDD
  2. GameCube - Solid 1P library that holds up today, brought a lot of innovation to both new and existing IP (Metroid Prime, SSBM, Pikmin)
  3. Dreamcast - incredible tech for the time but sparse library and bad (single stick) controller

DryvBy

Xbox. It continued the momentum of the Dreamcast but did everything better with way more games. The only sucky thing was that's when they started charging a few to play games online.

I loved them all but realistically, Xbox original was S tier.

Top Bottom