• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beverly Hills Cop (4): Axel F. first teaser (Netflix)

clarky

Gold Member
Just woke up the mrs is still watching, everyone is off the case and the axelf ditty is playing for the fifthy time. Minor characters from the previous films are cracking jokes.

The Wire happened people, we don't need characters explaining the plot to us on screen.

winjer

The first movie was a huge hit that performed better than Indiana Jones, Karate Kid, Ghostbusters, Terminator, Gremlin. Murphy was a huge star.

Those charts are depressing. Just look at how many good movies there are in each of those years. And in different genres.
Then I look at 2024, and there is only 2 or 3 movies I want to watch and the rest is worthless trash.
We were spoiled for choice back then, compare to what we have today.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Stunt work on the amusement park ride is amazing though.

Yea but Eddie wasn't in it. There was no Taggart. No villain. And it was directed by a murderer who dropped a helicopter on two kids and Vic Morrow.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
This film is refreshing and really funny.

Really liking it.

I expected it to be Axel out of touch etc. But It’s Axel fucking shit up nothing’s been changed

Love this film so far.

The theme tune goes hard too.

Edit. Finished it.
That’s how you do a sequel. They kept the tone of the 80’s movie.
Jokes were great set pieces to.
if you can’t tell I fucking enjoyed it.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
This film is refreshing and really funny.

Really liking it.

I expected it to be Axel out of touch etc. But It’s Axel fucking shit up nothing’s been changed

Love this film so far.

The theme tune goes hard too.

Edit. Finished it.
That’s how you do a sequel. They kept the tone of the 80’s movie.
Jokes were great set pieces to.
if you can’t tell I fucking enjoyed it.

Yea I liked it so much I'll watch it again this weekend.

If they released this in theaters over this holiday weekend it would've be a HUGE hit.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Did anyone notice the AirWolf theme music when they "got to da Choppa"?
I thought that. It did start making me hum the airwolf theme hahah
Plus I expected some kickass helicopter action.

As for the director of this film
the phantom menace GIF by Star Wars

jason10mm

Gold Member
The film was fun. The scope was restrained, there wasn't some grand CGI finale, they may have even been using real blanks because the goons tended to hold the weapons low and were shooting in isolated shots, characteristic of blank-era gunfights. The helicopter stuff looked really good except for the obvious CG parts, they may have done a lot of that practically as well. Loved the little bit of foreshadowing about Axel teaching his daughter to escape handcuffs and shoot, they turned "girl boss" into "character development" like you should. Seeing Paul Riser again was great, plus the nicely framed shot with the pic of the old chief on the wall. The callbacks were not subtle, but were tasteful and for the most part felt pretty organic, given the need to have such old characters in the first place.

TBH, I liked Coming to America 2 a fair amount, so I'm thinking what else Eddie could sequalize. Golden Child? Vampire in Brooklyn? Bofinger?

This was much, MUCH better than expected and it's definitely better than the shitty 3rd movie, it's exactly what you would expect from a BHC movie.

- Cinematography was actually really nice, they definitely tried to emulate that 80's feeling and for the most part it worked really well, it definitely didn't look like a Netflix movie/production so that's a plus.

- Story beats were almost 1:1 with the 1st movie (minus the dad/daughter bits).

- Soundtrack was fantastic, sure, they tried to play with the nostalgia factor but, IMO, worked really well, lots of synth stuff and not much of abysmal hip-hop modernization(s) of classic tunes.

- most of the effects were.of.the practical nature without a crap tonne of CGI.

The only negatives - and this might come as silly or petty were...Murphy's obviously retouched hairline, and taggart's and rosewood's hair dye, Christ dudes, you're old, it just looks silly and out of place at this age, completely took me out of the whole experience, it's that distracting ffs...

This would have done pretty well at the cinemas, it's just a silly, enjoyable summer pop-corn flick and that's fine with me, plus, it was much better than it had any right to be (especially 30 years after the last movie).

A solid 6.5/10 from me

SaiyanRaoh

The first movie was a huge hit that performed better than Indiana Jones, Karate Kid, Ghostbusters, Terminator, Gremlin. Murphy was a huge star.

God damn the endless great movies in that era. Especially 1984. I remember my dad taking us to a double feature in the Karate Kid on release day and then Ghostbusters which released a couple weeks before. I can't think of one of those movies without thinking of the other. Fantastic movie era to grow up in. These days, I need to dig around in shit to find something not superhero related, garbage or preaching about how bad a person I am for not towing the woke line.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This was much, MUCH better than expected and it's definitely better than the shitty 3rd movie, it's exactly what you would expect from a BHC movie.

- Cinematography was actually really nice, they definitely tried to emulate that 80's feeling and for the most part it worked really well, it definitely didn't look like a Netflix movie/production so that's a plus.

- Story beats were almost 1:1 with the 1st movie (minus the dad/daughter bits).

- Soundtrack was fantastic, sure, they tried to play with the nostalgia factor but, IMO, worked really well, lots of synth stuff and not much of abysmal hip-hop modernization(s) of classic tunes.

- most of the effects were.of.the practical nature without a crap tonne of CGI.

The only negatives - and this might come as silly or petty were...Murphy's obviously retouched hairline, and taggart's and rosewood's hair dye, Christ dudes, you're old, it just looks silly and out of place at this age, completely took me out of the whole experience, it's that distracting ffs...

This would have done pretty well at the cinemas, it's just a silly, enjoyable summer pop-corn flick and that's fine with me, plus, it was much better than it had any right to be (especially 30 years after the last movie).

A solid 6.5/10 from me
I think you are extremely petty with those negatives, for me it was a solid return to form and how to say it… 80’s style is much better much much better than tons of shit they make now and they did an authentic yet modern take. At least an 8.5++ for me for sure. Maybe a bit more too.

StueyDuck

I went into it with no expectations, wasn't a huge fan of the others except the original. So I don't really have much rose tinted glasses on the franchise.

Woof that was painfully average. The epitome of the meme of Ryan Reynolds why.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I went into it with no expectations, wasn't a huge fan of the others except the original. So I don't really have much rose tinted glasses on the franchise.

Woof that was painfully average. The epitome of the meme of Ryan Reynolds why.
Assuming this cost in the 50-80 mill range then I think it's quite successful. Modest budget, knows it's audience and it's limitations, and scores a solid double play. Not every film needs a 200+ mill budget and a home run swing attempt.

Edit: damn, this thing clocked in at 150 MILLION according to this article. (https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertain...tarring Eddie Murphy and Joseph Gordon-Levitt.)

This surely must be some money laundering accounting. Other than the helicopter stuff I can think of much in this film was wasn't done in the original (13 mill budget). The snowblow bit and drug truck stuff was great but is it THAT expensive? The final shootout wasn't anything an 80s film hasn't done a million times on a shoestring budget.

Location filming in LA? All those salaries? I appreciate the look of making it feel 80s and practical effects shot on location (though I bet there was a fair amount of cg in there) but WOW, 150 million????

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It could of been better but it definitely felt like Beverly Hills Cop film and for that I can't really knock it.
Just wish it was better, I think it needed Axel doing most physical action stuff, I know Eddie is in his 60's but it's not like he would have been doing it anyway.

winjer

This wasn't great. But also not a bad as the third movie.
Probably the best comparison would be to the second movie. Very few jokes, lots of action.
It was great to see so many of the actors back together. The nostalgia factor is strong.
But the writing for the dialogs was really lame. It's like they wrote a draft and went with it, not bothering to add the comedic elements.
The story has a ton of police and detective stuff, but it lacks the sassiness of the original movie.
The original movie had a barebones story, that only served for Axel to go from one place to another and do a comedic sketch. But it worked and was a lot of fun.

Asides from the nostalgia factor of seeing the old gang back together, there is nothing here worth while.

Rewatched the whole series and the final one. The last one was ok, not bad but not great either. They played it quite safe but then again the Beverly Hills Cop movies were never about high production super hollywood stuff, they were always corny/fun to watch with great soundtrack and the final one nails that with the exception that they kinda sideline Axel more than anything else. Even his dramatic overreactions were put down for some reason. I didnt like that at all. 6.5/10

Power Pro

I watched it last night, and it's good! Amazing in 2024 when you actually see a good movie these days.

Look it's not groundbreaking, and it feels like one of those 80s or 90s sequels which stick close to the original formula, but that's fine. It's about on par with the 2nd movie, which is fine by me. I was smiling during most of it, which hasn't happened in a while.

Definitely felt like a revival of the 80s/early 90s type of movie production. It was exactly what it needed to be. I felt like the daughter's lines were often-times a bit flat, but overall, I enjoyed it much more than half the over-the-top CGI-heavy horseshit that's coming out these days. I'd welcome more like this.

Top Bottom