• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYONCÉ RETURNS: POPGAF OT XIII

The Flop

Banned
eeek! at Perfect Illusion 2nd Week prediction (13k). A MESS.

tumblr_odpro6DwVP1qh066ho1_400.gif

But the video is out tonight on Fox's lowest rated returning show. There is still a chance.

I wonder if it's 1 day views will Top the Fifth "Hews" latest. :p

a108650f11.gif

also eek at the [R E D A C T E D] pics I'll have to send to Vazra for these gifs. But it's "Worth It."

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
There's a rumored report that Interscope is treating Joanne like an "indie debut album" and pretty much giving her free reign to promote (or not promote) on her terms. Like they're not putting pressure on her to deliver a hit and that she won't be doing heavy promotion this era.

I feel a raging combination of disappointment and understanding about it. Like she can do whatever she wants and if the music's great then it SHOULD just speak for itself. But it also feels like a deflated return to pop and insists that she'd rather not feel accountable if the music's a commercial failure.

PI is sinking like a rock and it doesn't seem like she cares that much. I guess it's refreshing to see her not posture and overexposure herself but it's also strange to see her not take full advantage of the opportunity she has. Or maybe she knows the album won't be a huge hit so she's scaling back expectations. These are new feelings for a Gaga stan. Lol
So she's making music for her now? That's the same excuse Kid Cudi gave and all he did was give us a very bad album. Honestly fans are going to be really disappointed by this and it's just going to sink her career more. Fans like when you stick with the same genre, that's why they were fans in the first place. When I want Gaga, I want fun dance music. Now if she was going to do something with a panio, and make an Adele sounding album, than that could work. Indie is not her game and is not want fans want, it's her milking her fanbase while she still has it.

Tokubetsu

She just needs to wake up and realize that ppl only really care about The Fame gaga and not all this other bullshit she's been on since 08.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i don't think 'we're expecting indie debut' says so much about the music as that she so badly squandered her tfm/btw cache with artpop and cheek 2 cheek that 'indie debut' is just a realistic estimation of the number of people still here for her after those sonic misadventures. to be fair a lot of artists who were big names a handful of years ago are now releasing to mothball-certified album sales numbers, either failing to reinvent themselves or just releasing bad music, or both.

Aguila

#ICONIC
I was watching The Fame/Fame Monster era videos and I was like WOW. Gags really used to do that. Fun, simple visuals, great hooky songs, dancing, she had it all (but I did notice her nose looks very different >__>).

Vazduh

Recently I've been into Jessica Pratt's music, which is usually categorized as 'freak-folk', but basically it's the singer-songwriter-acoustic-y music.

Both her albums are really good and worth a listen, and since both combined clock under 73 minutes, they won't take up too much of your time if you decide to give them a listen.

Spotify:

Jessica Pratt - Jessica Pratt (2012)

Jessica Pratt - On Your Own Love Again (2015)

Youtube song links:

Jessica Pratt - Moon Dude
Jessica Pratt - Bushel Hyde
Jessica Pratt - Strange Melody

to be fair a lot of artists who were big names a handful of years ago are now releasing to mothball-certified album sales numbers, either failing to reinvent themselves or just releasing bad music, or both.

Yup. Nelly Furtado, as great as she is (or was?), has sadly become one of the "Tumblr/Soundcloud-hews".

I'm gonna come clean

I think perfect illusion is just ok. It's hard to listen to because her vocals are grating on it and it is very repetitive. I listen to it just about once a day and I don't have the desire to hear it more, which I definitely had with Applause even though I took a while to warm up to it. The music video looks to be meh too.

:-/

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
The album doesn't reach any great highs, but it is consistent enough for me to not need to skip a single track. I've been bopping to Full Swing and Remember. It is a decent effort, but nothing ground breaking.

Yeah so I was way too hard on the album
Its been on in my car the past two days and Ive been really enjoying it

Have also been majorly bopping to new Calvin and Emile Sande

Same as garret, not to PI much

I'm gonna come clean

I think perfect illusion is just ok. It's hard to listen to because her vocals are grating on it and it is very repetitive. I listen to it just about once a day and I don't have the desire to hear it more, which I definitely had with Applause even though I took a while to warm up to it. The music video looks to be meh too.

I tried listening to the song at the gym last week, found myself replaying the last 30 or so seconds of the song, as that was the only bearable part. The song suffers from not just the lyrics (which isn't necessarily a problem in the pop world) but also her vocals and the mediocre music. A proper DJ remix of this song could somewhat result in a nice tune but I wouldn't count on it. And this is why this song is flopping and getting hate, it's a bad song and hard to listen to. Which is why it's baffling that some stans pretend it's some Bjork-level music not intended for the mainstream!

Frodo

I'm gonna come clean

I think the song would be so much better if Gaga had not insisted on singing the way she seems to sing everything these days. And the biggest problem is, she can sing when she wants to.

It is the same feeling I have when I listen to albums like Ray of Light and/or Confessions and then listen to Madonna's new stuff. The clear, smooth (all things considered) voice presented on those earlier works are substituted for that nasal, lazy, screeching she does nowadays (think of "First you love me and I let you in" line of Living for Love, versus the way she sings in Get Together).

Gaga does copy Madonna in everything, it seems. It is amazing.

n7sb1Tr.png
n7sb1Tr.png
n7sb1Tr.png

I still like Living for Love, tho

Honestly I love Perfect Illusion until the outro, lol. Funny that the last 30 seconds are your favorite.
Well the first 2.5 minutes are basically the same thing over and over. I don't necessarily love the very last part but let's just say if that part alone was released as a promo it would've made me hopeful I guess.

I miss old Gaga vocals soooooooooooooooo much.
Seriously, she does have good vocals, but it seems she's given up on that to make "edgy" gaga music. Her piano stuff is good, I especially like her cover of Viva La Vida.

rhandino

Banned
Me during the first 15 seconds of Perfect Illusion

vfzBUth.gif

Me for most of the song when Gaga "vocals" take the main stage.

6iVJ6FD.gif

Me during the last 10 seconds of the song

9kz9QgD.gif

EDIT: The best thing is seeing the Little Monster on ATRL, popfn, Tumblr, Reddit, etc... drag Applause to the pits of hell while trying to defend Perfect Illusion.

EDIT2:
Come on y'all these numbers aren't that bad, the music industry is very different now than when songs like Rise and Make Me came out. People just aren't buying music these days
I hope this ride never ends

rhandino

Banned
I need to make a compilation post with all the Perfect Illusion gifs.

n12ey7P.gif

I also need a new POPcast with good convo about the commercial performance of the 2000-2010 artists in this day and age.

kHHC9Mj.gif

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Charli XCX working with David Guetta. The album sounded so good until this news. Please just be 1 song.

MANUELF

Banned
Im having so much fun reading little monster post on ATRL saying music not the bling but the instant PI get a green update they start to celebrate and posting threads, I mean why?

The Flop

Banned
Taking [R E D A C T E D] Photos is hard. But not as hard as making a popcast. But we're 2 weeks past our recording. RIP.

Leona has gone absent from this thread too.

Eggbok

She could have been singing an entirely different song and you would never know because of the way most of the video is edited.

Well, I'm gonna go against the apparent trend here and say that I love the song and I think the video is great. Probably her best video since The Fame Monster era. I'm much more excited for Joanne than I was for ARTPOP.

I hope the monsters don't get triggered but I feel like she was going for a "High by the Beach" kind of vibe which basically translates to "this video was made with no budget" but the stupid shaky cam (to simulate the kind pf shaking you would expect to see from something filmed by someone using a phone or camera) is done WAYYY too much and just makes it feel like it's a fabricated attempt to give off this "i don't give a fuck about the glam, money, and production values here's my music and that's it" vibe but it just doesn't work.

Not to mention the song sucks ass too

The video's fine and the song is still fire but nnnnnnnnnnn @ the self-drag with the audience being a ~perfect illusion~ at the end.

Come thru queen of self-awareness.

Well, I'm gonna go against the apparent trend here and say that I love the song and I think the video is great. Probably her best video since The Fame Monster era. I'm much more excited for Joanne than I was for ARTPOP.

This. Y'all do too much to Perfect Illusion as it is but this video is perfection.

This. Y'all do too much to Perfect Illusion as it is but this video is perfection.
Okay now I'm curious

What is perfect about this video? Like you literally can't see anything because it's just shaky cam. In what world is this video better than the video for Judas or Marry The Night? wtf? I'm not even an actual Gaga stan but come on. This video doesn't do anything at all it's just 3 minutes of the same shit with no interesting visuals or choreo or ANYTHING. If this kind of forced low effort mess is what you expect then okay i guess

Okay now I'm curious

What is perfect about this video? Like you literally can't see anything because it's just shaky cam. In what world is this video better than the video for Judas or Marry The Night? wtf? I'm not even an actual Gaga stan but come on. This video doesn't do anything at all it's just 3 minutes of the same shit with no interesting visuals or choreo or ANYTHING. If this kind of forced low effort mess is what you expect then okay i guess

Why ya overthinking it. The video's job is to sell the song. PI is a rager about being swept up in feelings that aren't real. The cam is shaky like an ecstasy trip. I didn't say it was better or worse than her other videos. It doesn't always have to be a rat race

Top Bottom