• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYONCÉ RETURNS: POPGAF OT XIII

Tokubetsu

Cut that ivory into skinny pieces
Then she clean it with her face but I love my baby

KUjZCTc.gif

Starboy is cute.

It's funny that this comes out right after I finally get around to listening to BBTM and I realized that I can't do his voice. This song is different tho but in order for me to listen to this album, the beats will have to carry. His voice is so grating....

Meowster

Starboy is cute.

It's funny that this comes out right after I finally get around to listening to BBTM and I realized that I can't do his voice. This song is different tho but in order for me to listen to this album, the beats will have to carry. His voice is so grating....
His voice is just so whiny and pathetic. But at the same time, I kinda adore it? I'm not sure what I think yet. The song is good btw.

His voice is just so whiny and pathetic. But at the same time, I kinda adore it? I'm not sure what I think yet. The song is good btw.

I agree. It's like on some songs, he is just perfect. Like Nocturnal with Disclosure was so good for him. Absolute perfection. I also loved him on Six Inch with Bey, and pretty much all his features. Tell your friends about it was the standout song for me on BBTM because it was the least whiny, but other songs when it just sounds like the beat is drowned out and he is just isolated on the track, it kills me. I almost immediately have to change the song because I can't do it.

He's not like dvsn or Gallant or Sam Dew etc etc, guys who can sing. Even Gold link and Vince Mensa can hold a tune. Granted they are rappers first but they can hold their. His faux MJ voice is just rough... So rough.

Im hoping this album is more of those beats doing most of the work so he can just stay low tempo on the song without having to raise too much of his already limited octaves.

I agree. It's like on some songs, he is just perfect. Like Nocturnal with Disclosure was so good for him. Absolute perfection. I also loved him on Six Inch with Bey, and pretty much all his features. Tell your friends about it was the standout song for me on BBTM because it was the least whiny, but other songs when it just sounds like the beat is drowned out and he is just isolated on the track, it kills me. I almost immediately have to change the song because I can't do it.

He's not like dvsn or Gallant or Sam Dew etc etc, guys who can sing. Even Gold link and Vince Mensa can hold a tune. Granted they are rappers first but they can hold their. His faux MJ voice is just rough... So rough.

Im hoping this album is more of those beats doing most of the work so he can just stay low tempo on the song without having to raise too much of his already limited octaves.

Can't say I agree, I actually really like his voice and think it serves well for all the songs that he sings. I've also had the wondrous pleasure of seeing him live and he's definitely more capable then you give him credit for. His songs sounded almost no different from the album tracks. I think you should give trilogy and probably kissland a try since there are a lot of songs where he sings lower if that is more to you liking.

and saying that vic mensa and gold ink can hold a tune better than weekend? Girl, bye

Meowster

15 Alicia Keys If I Ain't Got You
54 Alicia Keys Girl on Fire
65 Alicia Keys No One
88 Alicia Keys Fallin'

73 Alicia Keys The Diary of Alicia Keys

It seems The Voice has revived Alicia.

Shame they still can't get In Common to sell though.

gret11.gif

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Still don't like Starboy that much. The verses flow way to fast and the pre-chorus is almost indistinguishable from the verses for the first half of the song. The chorus has grown on me though. Especially with the added beat when he says "Starboy". I think it could be pretty big though, I take back my word on that.

who remembers katy perry

i was just listening a kp playlist today. it was ok.
I miss Katy Perry's singles. They were always fun. There really hasn't been any fun popular dance songs this year though, which is a shame.

Meowster

This ache in my chest
As my day is done now
The dark covers me and I cannot run now
My blood running cold
I stand before him
It's all I can do to assure him
When he comes to me
I drip for him tonight
Drowning in me, we bathe under blue light

XN3LeZR.gif

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Omg imagine if she brought Florence up for a performance of Hey Girl and then does an immediate segue into Dog Days Are Over? THE WIGS

Remember how Coldplay were the headliners for last year's halftime show? Mhm, neither does anyone else. Now switch Coldplay with Gags in your scenario.

Vazduh

I actually liked the cinematography in Perfect Illusion.

The video is alright, but it didn't make the song any better. Sorry, Gags.

2WveRIZ.gif

Better luck next time.

EDIT: Omg imagine if she brought Florence up for a performance of Hey Girl and then does an immediate segue into Dog Days Are Over? THE WIGS

I can imagine the cross-yodeling that would ensue.

9bvJU7w.gif

rhandino

Banned
Perfect Illusion is an absolutely terrible and chaotic mess that fails at every level to convey a high energy feel to the audience because the editing is a big fat mess that fails to properly sync with the song at every step.

It's even more upsetting when you compare it to the flawless execution of that same concept during the Can Can/Lady Marmalade scene in Moulin Rogue or, hell, even some of the more fast paced scenes in the Applause video.

kHHC9Mj.gif

Remember how Coldplay were the headliners for last year's halftime show? Mhm, neither does anyone else. Now switch Coldplay with Gags in your scenario.

You're delusional if you think Coldplay and Gaga are anywhere near the same lane in the popular music pantheon. Coldplay wouldn't have been able to carry that show if it weren't for the supporting acts (who, inevitably, stole the show). Hell Gaga even got more buzz last year than Coldplay did. >.<

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Coldplay wouldn't have been able to carry that show if it weren't for the supporting acts (who, inevitably, stole the show).

That's my point: if Gags starts bringing out guest performers who can and will effortlessly upstage her, ain't nobody gonna be paying attention to her nonsense. The GP clearly aren't here for her songs post-Fame Monster, so this show, assuming it happens, better be a flashy medley of old-ass singles actual hits and nothing else or everyone's going to express lane check-the-fuck-out.

Koodo

Banned
You're delusional if you think Coldplay and Gaga are anywhere near the same lane in the popular music pantheon. Coldplay wouldn't have been able to carry that show if it weren't for the supporting acts (who, inevitably, stole the show). Hell Gaga even got more buzz last year than Coldplay did. >.<
Yes, one is filling out stadiums while the other's last tour was a degree away from being a failure in relative and absolute terms.

She won't even survive the attention span of the GP by focusing exclusively on prior hits and barring entry to anyone that's more talented (i.e. the majority of her peers). The GaGa that used to be able to enrapture the public by hanging herself from a chandelier is long gone &#8211; not just because she isn't trying anymore, but also because she can't anymore.

MANUELF

Banned

I agree, one is a music act who has maintained as one of the most popular bands in the world for over 15 years, the other one is a one era wonder pop act who is not popular anymore

One era? Lmao.

Born This Way was a commercial and critical success, as was the Born This Way Ball. Come for recent Gaga, whatever, but people need to check their facts. Just cuz you didn't like BTW doesn't mean it flopped.

One era? Lmao.

Born This Way was a commercial and critical success, as was the Born This Way Ball. Come for recent Gaga, whatever, but people need to check their facts. Just cuz you didn't like BTW doesn't mean it flopped.

Born This Way was the beginning of the end of the GP's fascination with that one trick pony. Novelty dresses will only get you so far when the music is subpar.

Born This Way was the beginning of the end of the GP's fascination with that one trick pony. Novelty dresses will only get you so far when the music is subpar.
But the era had legs? The singles didn't give out until the very end with Marry the Night. Both The Edge of Glory and You and I outperformed Judas, EOG peaking at #3 and Y&I at #6. The tour then went on to gross $180m+.

There was no floppage in that era, the music was not subpar, the GP was here for it. The nosedive her popularity took due to the overexposure, momentum breakdown and mediocre return AFTER BTW had nothing to do with BTW.

rhandino

Banned
I was getting my life to Mariah today. Our favs will never.
But what if one of our faves is Whitney Houston?

SzGZ58Z.png

The rivalry of Whitney vs Mariah is something that most of our faves will never... unless you stanned for Britney and X-tincta during their peak eras.

Even the Katy vs Hitler things kind of lack the charm of that old mess.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Stolen language: The Strange Case of Meghan Trainor's Blaccent

A pretty interesting article, coming from MTV of all places! Anyway, if any of you got the time to read it, do it.

(although, to be honest, I'm surprised Iggy Azalea wasn't name-dropped for obvious reasons)
Iggy Azalea would be the more obvious candidate for an article like this, but she's not popular anymore and probably has been talked to death about. I think when it comes to a phrase like Bye Felicia, there's a time where it just become part of the cultural zeitgeist. Now on the topic of Meghan Trainor, I think with the way Twitter and Facebook and social media in general that we are exposed to other cultures far more early than others, resulting in a type of salad mix, being made up of different pieces of cultures. So while it's not typically the type of language you would hear from a white girl, it shouldn't be unexpected if they pick it up from social media. This happens with white boys as well, although they are more stereotyped as choosing to say the n-word. To bring this to a close, I would say that culture is going to be mixed, and it's only going to get more apparent as the years go by.

Top Bottom